5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

A33 maxima 2nd gear shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 09:04 PM

all through trying to sort this issue is the fact I have no trans DTC's, only codes that had has appeared was for a knock sensor and code for a coil or plug issue.odb2 reader I have does engine,trans,abs and one other, it even picks up the genuine ecu part number when it scans all systems.not at home atm, will try to do a vid as it's easy to replicate issue as it does it everytime with 2nd.when downshifting the box will go into 2nd gear but its like being in neutral, selecting 2nd gear manually its the same, like it is in neutral.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:12 PM

So zero engagement into 2nd? Just 1st to 3rd on acceleration and no engine braking (positive engagement) in 2nd on deceleration?

And with new solenoids, good sensors, and no other codes/problems... TCM!
Old 11-23-2019, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by User1
So zero engagement into 2nd? Just 1st to 3rd on acceleration and no engine braking (positive engagement) in 2nd on deceleration?

now the fun begins, most wreckers around sydney these days are not open sat-sun.there are some larger yards about 1 1/2 drive from where i live, they have had A33 maxima's in the past. will ring them to see if they have any in the yard. cant get any prices on tcm's but going by past experience some yards will want an arm and a leg for them. A33 maxima was not sold in large numbers here, plenty of A32's and J31's and up.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:44 AM

I'll bet a TCM from anything that ran RE4F04B would be compatible, but I'd want to double check and confirm that if I was the one pulling from a Sentra
Old 11-23-2019, 03:23 AM

we didnt get sentra's or quest's here, just maxima and pulsar for sedans with some infinity models that did not share same body type.I got to my tcm earlier today, removed it and took a photo of the part number label.already checked it out online,one website shows that part number on the label as being for AU only. tomorrow morning will start ringing around to see who has any A33's in their yards. found 54 cars listed online in south australia lol, around 12 listed online in sydney. there are still many yards that dont list anything online.
Old 11-23-2019, 03:46 AM

Sounds like you'll find your part.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:42 PM

got a tcm today, changed it out ....fail. did not fix issue. tcm pulled out of a 2000 model maxima, only last digit different in part number on nissan sticker, same transmission as what I have.therefore I can only think of internal transmission failure related to 2nd gear? but no signs of a failure like slipping on gear change, no flaring at all.when.I removed sump to do filter and oil originally there was very little in metal particles around sump magnets.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:47 PM

Put a new tranny in it. Now you're starting to give ME anxiety.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:31 PM

so far everything has been a fail in fixing this problem...been a good learning curve however not a cheap one. probably could have bought a used transmission and paid for most of the labour with what i have paid out in parts and synthetic oil lol.some times you win sometimes you lose, guess i lost this one. i will go visit a mechanic tomorrow and see what their conclusion is. not going to spend money on a rebuilt transmission the cost of that and labour will be worth more than what the car is.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:36 PM

It's not hard to drop the tranny. Trannys all over the place here in Tampa, FL for around $300 a piece.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:53 PM

changing the box is not the issue, time is the issue for me.where I got the tcm from the maxima still.has the box in it,dont know the mileage on it nor did i check the colour of the fluid.I can get the box for $300 with 2 months warranty but i have to pull it out myself. I dont have the time with doing 12 hr shifts and when not at work 2 kids that need a taxi when I am off.just not sure if any mechanic will pass it for registration renewal early next month.if I can get it passed it will give me to look for more transmissions to look at.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:10 PM

Sucks man. Wish I had the answer for ya. Maybe scrap the old hag and move on. Can't be worth a grand anymore.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:11 PM

You've already eaten whatever value the car had with your time and parts. Notwithstanding some emotional tie or sentimental reason to keep it, I would ditch it.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:17 PM

I have no emotional or sentimental ties with the car,I have owned it for almost 10 years.when I got it it had 225k km's on the clock, it now has 337k km's.the years I have owned it has done less mileage than its first 10 years.transmission is the only major issue I have had with it. it has had all the usual maxima issues over the years like coils and other factory faults all these I fixed myself as I have always tinkered with cars since my school days.I had a quick look at prices for A33's in oz, cheapest registered car I have seen is $1800, with low mileage cars people dreaming of selling them up to $10k,most regular prices are around $ 2500 -4000 depending on option level and mileage.used transmission prices are around the $300 mark in sydney.if I can get a mechanic to change it out for $200 I may consider it.if I do this I would be pulling the new solenoids out of my box and have them put in the replacement to eliminate any solenoid issues on a used box. another long winded post again lol.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:04 AM
Bad *** Newb

Doesn't make any sense.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:50 PM

1 mechanic I went to this morning said it could be the ecm that is causing the issue.he is probably only guessing at possibilities without putting a scan tool on it. I checked for any DTC's only one that showed up as a stored code was P 1320 which is coil related, no other DTC's showing, same mechanic also have a rough estimate of 2,500 to fit and supply a used box.I think that was a good indication he dont want to work on it.

Last edited by scotty64; 11-24-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:13 AM

I would say he priced himself right out of that one as well. I'm not buying the ECM theory. Unfortunately I don't think he wants much to do with your car. Sooooooo..... I will rack my brain some more. I'll peruse the FSM and see if anything catches my eye.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:42 PM

I would say he priced himself right out of that one as well. I'm not buying the ECM theory. Unfortunately I don't think he wants much to do with your car. Sooooooo..... I will rack my brain some more. I'll peruse the FSM and see if anything catches my eye.
price he quoted on the box would have been a reco/rebuilt one not used as I can get and have seen them advertised for $300 with 2 months warranty out of wreckers.I downloaded an FSM but most times when I read through the AT section its late at night and I want to sack out.procedures in it seem a bit backward at times when reading it but nothing has stood out as possible issue except for mention of internal transmission failure but that is for slipping and/or no gear selection.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:51 PM

the car lives for another 12 months, a mechanic i went to ignored the skipping gear issue. now i have a question about the speed sensor, yes from what i have read they will throw a code or the tacho or speedo or both play up. my question is can these fail without giving the usual symptoms.i do have a spare that i can change out and check later. all the help i have been given over this issue is well appreciated. just trying to nut out ideas and going over what has been done. the sensor in the transmission is the original one but is there the possibility of weird failures without throwing codes.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:54 AM

The sensors are so cheap and easy to replace I wouldn't even bother diagnosing them. Just replace them, rule them out completely and have good sensors for the next 100k.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:17 AM

changed speed sensor no difference.the day before all this happened with the 2nd gear issue, i changed a rear bearing and hub assembly on the right rear. kind of strange the day after changing this the transmission decides i only need 1st and 3rd. i am going a bit left field here maybe just maybe that could be related to my issue.i think i counted the teeth on the abs ring to make sure it was the correct one, where i am going with this is is seeing that i only have an output sensor on the transmission, could the input be picked up from abs sensors.i did remove the abs sensor to clean it and the fact that its better to remove it when changing the bearing and hub assembly. i did not unplug it just removed it from the backing plate behind the hub. i am going to re check this part and see it there is anything not right.i do not have any abs DTC's show up on the scan tool. now i am working backwards to the day before the issue appeared, i could be wrong and it all could be coincidental that i do a repair elsewhere on the car and the 2nd gear issue appears.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:39 PM

Definitely a result of you fixing something, but not directly related to that thing.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:56 PM

Definitely a result of you fixing something, but not directly related to that thing.
that is the only part of the car I had worked on before this issue started. I am probably clutching at straws but I am trying work back to find if any anomaly has happened somewhere. up until I changed the bearing and hub assembly the transmission ran fine, as I only have 1 output sensor and no input sensor, I am guessing that maybe a random possibility the abs to that wheel could be the culprit to my issues,if I dont eliminate it as an issue it will always give me the what if.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:58 PM

You are now a victim of compulsion. Only one thing you can do about it now.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:06 PM

You are now a victim of compulsion. Only one thing you can do about it now.
i guess i am a sucker for punishment, but i still want to find the cause if i can
Old 12-03-2019, 11:08 PM

You're the only one who can decide just how much of the car around the transmission will be replaced before you throw in the towel
Old 12-03-2019, 11:42 PM

i wont be throwing any more parts at it, it is just me trying to find what the source of the problem is, if i can find it.all the parts that have been replaced are transmission parts of which none fixed the issue. when the days here are a bit cooler and the bush fire smoke not too thick like it is now i will check what i fixed the day before the initial issue. this problem i have i have not seen anything the same except for one clip on youtube, that problem was it would not change into any gear from 1st and he changed both sensors and problem solved. what is wracking my head is where is the input signal coming from and my transmission has only the output sensor. if i can find the input signal source then maybe just maybe i can find the root cause.
Old 12-23-2019, 03:34 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by scotty64
i wont be throwing any more parts at it, it is just me trying to find what the source of the problem is, if i can find it.all the parts that have been replaced are transmission parts of which none fixed the issue. when the days here are a bit cooler and the bush fire smoke not too thick like it is now i will check what i fixed the day before the initial issue. this problem i have i have not seen anything the same except for one clip on youtube, that problem was it would not change into any gear from 1st and he changed both sensors and problem solved. what is wracking my head is where is the input signal coming from and my transmission has only the output sensor. if i can find the input signal source then maybe just maybe i can find the root cause.
I forgot about this. It's rare, but happens, apparently.

Old 12-23-2019, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
I forgot about this. It's rare, but happens, apparently.
I have plans to open the tcm to find out if there are any issues with the circuit board, it looks easy enough to.open as there are a few tabs that hold the lid on.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:29 AM

now i am home looked at the photo above with better detail, on the phone i thought it may have been the TCM board i open up my TCM today and went over the board, no "popped" caps and the mosfets still look ok, check for burnt tracks on the circuit board, all is good. on visual inspection of the board everything looks fine, no discolouring on the board and tracks at all, even paid close attention around the chips that stated 99 V6 on them which is what i assume are the chips for the shift timing. btw what is that circuit board off, trying to work it out but cant think of where it is from.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:57 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by scotty64
now i am home looked at the photo above with better detail, on the phone i thought it may have been the TCM board i open up my TCM today and went over the board, no "popped" caps and the mosfets still look ok, check for burnt tracks on the circuit board, all is good. on visual inspection of the board everything looks fine, no discolouring on the board and tracks at all, even paid close attention around the chips that stated 99 V6 on them which is what i assume are the chips for the shift timing. btw what is that circuit board off, trying to work it out but cant think of where it is from.
Sorry, it's from the RWD platform, but I ***ume there's something similar somewhere in FWD tranny? It's not all wires is it?

Idk, I don't **** with autos other than changing the fluid. Either way, a broken connection results in a dead gear with no other symptoms and is mistaken as bad solenoid. But you said you didn't find anything?

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 12-26-2019 at 02:00 AM.
Old 12-26-2019, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Sorry, it's from the RWD platform, but I ***ume there's something similar somewhere in FWD tranny? It's not all wires is it?

Idk, I don't **** with autos other than changing the fluid. Either way, a broken connection results in a dead gear with no other symptoms and is mistaken as bad solenoid. But you said you didn't find anything?
only thing i can think of for that board would be the inhibitor switch located on the side of the transmission where the shift cable mates up
Old 08-12-2020, 03:31 AM

i know this is an old thread. i never did manage to trace down my issue. i have since disposed of my maxima, cant complain about the reliability with the car in general as all i ever done was regular maintenance and replacement of parts that wear, just didnt keep up the tranny maintenance which in turn bit me on the **** big time.