5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5 sp MT issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 11:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

5 sp MT issues?

For years my 2001 maxima MT has had some bearing noise. The noise was present when the clutch wasn't engaged. Silly me I just let it go. Fast forward to now, there has been a slight leak at the driver's axle. I figured it was related to the terrible CV's i had, along with the ride noise I had been hearing. After replacing these, the noise was still present when driving. I topped off with redline MT - 90. Now when the transmission is under any load - accelerating or decellerating- there is noise. It is similar to the standard MT pull noise but louder. Out of nowhere, I can no longer shift into first MOST of the time. The gear makes a slight grind and pops right now. Reverse is super jerky until it i fully engage. Does this just sound like its time for an overhaul? Kits are a bit hard to come by and MT's at the junkyard are a big rarity, Just looking for opinions before I take it to a transmission shop.

Other than the noise and issues with first and reverse... 2 3 4 5 seem to work great, and smooth as butter.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:43 PM

When my engines cold and I give it mediocre throttle while driving I get a weird noise that would make me think a bearing. Kinda like an odd rattling or something. I did the clutch pilot bearing and throw out bearing so im not sure what it is. Doesnt seem to affect the car tho
Old 10-15-2019, 07:13 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Very few places can rebuild it right.

As for these transmissions,They all go bad. I am going to change another one next week.

After i change the trans with a 5 speed one. I am going to have to make a decision. Either sell it after or put a 6 speed in.

Or in your case if the cars in great shape or bad,the decision could be to scrap it.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by krismax
Very few places can rebuild it right.

As for these transmissions,They all go bad. I am going to change another one next week.

After i change the trans with a 5 speed one. I am going to have to make a decision. Either sell it after or put a 6 speed in.

Or in your case if the cars in great shape or bad,the decision could be to scrap it.
The frustrating thing is these 5sp MT seem impossible to find. Even online. My scrap yards here sell them for ~$100, but from maxima to altima it's all automatic. I suppose I'm going to give this high rated local shop a try and see what happens. They told me if I'd pull it it would be 350-500 depending on parts for a bearing, seal, synchro overhaul.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:59 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by zachthepack
The frustrating thing is these 5sp MT seem impossible to find. Even online. My scrap yards here sell them for ~$100, but from maxima to altima it's all automatic. I suppose I'm going to give this high rated local shop a try and see what happens. They told me if I'd pull it it would be 350-500 depending on parts for a bearing, seal, synchro overhaul.
Doesn't matter if you can find them There ALL bad. The one i am changing has been rebuilt . But it's very difficult to do it right.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Doesn't matter if you can find them There ALL bad. The one i am changing has been rebuilt . But it's very difficult to do it right.
Transmissions are the one thing that I really don't know much about that's why I was gonna pay somebody to rebuild them what is so particularly difficult about rebuilding this particular transmission if u dont mind me asking?
Old 10-24-2019, 07:11 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Did you have the transmission rebuilt yet?
Old 10-24-2019, 07:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Did you have the transmission rebuilt yet?
Dropped it off late yesterday supposed to get diagnosed tomorrow.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:14 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Transmissions are the one thing that I really don't know much about that's why I was gonna pay somebody to rebuild them what is so particularly difficult about rebuilding this particular transmission if u dont mind me asking?
Every transmission has it's own tolerances from the factory. You could say each one is unique ,It's needs to be shimmed properly. If this isn't done right it's a fail.

The 00-01 Nissan SAYS it's better but i see them fail a lot to. But it could be the extra HP and weight.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:04 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Dropped it off late yesterday supposed to get diagnosed tomorrow.
What did they say?