5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Grinding noise shifting between reverse and drive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 04:54 PM

Grinding noise shifting between reverse and drive?

I just noticed my max is making a grinding noise switching between drive and reverse. Noise is pretty quiet (could easily be talked over) and pretty quick (maybe .25 second). To my novice ear it sounds like gears skipping a bit before engaging.

Other than the noise, transmission shifts nicely up and down, with a small squeak from 1st to 2nd when shifting under heavy load.

Is my transmission on its way to being FUBARed?

(2001 Max 190km, automatic)
Old 04-10-2017, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by AaronL
I just noticed my max is making a grinding noise switching between drive and reverse. Noise is pretty quiet (could easily be talked over) and pretty quick (maybe .25 second). To my novice ear it sounds like gears skipping a bit before engaging.

Other than the noise, transmission shifts nicely up and down, with a small squeak from 1st to 2nd when shifting under heavy load.

Is my transmission on its way to being FUBARed?

(2001 Max 190km, automatic)
Not necessarily. It could be one of your axles, or a bearing.
Get yourself a stethoscope (http://www.harborfreight.com/mechani...ope-63296.html ), and listen on/around the transaxle while your helper shifts from D/R. You should be able to pinpoint it to a specific location.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
Not necessarily. It could be one of your axles, or a bearing.
Get yourself a stethoscope (http://www.harborfreight.com/mechani...ope-63296.html ), and listen on/around the transaxle while your helper shifts from D/R. You should be able to pinpoint it to a specific location.
Interesting. Would never have conceived an axle causing a noise from shifting without moving the car - but I have essentially no knowledge of power transmission in cars.

I inherited a stethoscope, but won't get to put it to use until the weekend. I'm wondering if a bad engine mount could be causing the noise, as the noise occurs only when shifting from R->D or D->R and not (D->N->D or R->N->R).
Old 04-14-2017, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by AaronL
Interesting. Would never have conceived an axle causing a noise from shifting without moving the car - but I have essentially no knowledge of power transmission in cars.

I inherited a stethoscope, but won't get to put it to use until the weekend. I'm wondering if a bad engine mount could be causing the noise, as the noise occurs only when shifting from R->D or D->R and not (D->N->D or R->N->R).
So I had my helper shift the car and the noise and I could see the engine swinging around- so the motor mounts are definitely bad and most likely the culprit.

Time to order the mounts and then wait for a nice day to remove and replace
Old 04-14-2017, 08:54 PM

Anchor 9031 may not line up.
There was another member claiming that this mount was defective!
Old 04-19-2017, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by maximatech12
Anchor 9031 may not line up.
There was another member claiming that this mount was defective!
Thanks for the heads up. I'll probably go with OEM standard mounts to keep the vibrations down.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:41 AM

Let us know if that fixed it.