5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Moly coating inside the VQ engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 08:19 PM

Moly coating inside the VQ engine

I've put a lot of stuff into the crankcase, seafoam and marvel mystery oil and some other additives, does anyone know if the moly coating can be stripped by these things? If so, is it possible to recoat the engine with moly from the inside if that happens?

I saw this product today:
https://rislone.com/ca/product/nano-prime-engine-oil-additive/

It's formulated with moly but I'm not sure if it remains inside the engine once the oil's been changed.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:13 PM

I have 0 personal experience.

I do say you should take test of all sorts though before and after.

Starting with https://www.blackstone-labs.com/ oil analysis of what's currently going on in your motor.

Also you should probably take a decibel meter and somehow measure the NVH of the motor before and after.
Old 08-31-2020, 11:52 PM

I think there has to be an easier way to answer that question. I have zero experience with moly, I tried a moly spray on a bicycle chain once but it wasn't that great, so I guess if someone knows if anything can dissolve moly that answers one part, the other part is can you put it back on..
Old 09-01-2020, 01:37 PM

Are you concerned about wear? or are you getting valvetrain noise?
Old 09-01-2020, 02:48 PM

I'm not getting any noise, just worried about wear. I don't know how corrosive those additives are and how much abuse that moly coating can withstand.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:28 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Thrillho
I'm not getting any noise, just worried about wear. I don't know how corrosive those additives are and how much abuse that moly coating can withstand.
It's not nikasil and ethanol LOL

You're overthinking something that doesn't matter.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
It's not nikasil and ethanol LOL

You're overthinking something that doesn't matter.
Honestly man overthinking is the only way to stay ahead of the repairs on these cars, at least on mine. Not only that but these things add up; if you have one thing that doesn't matter then it's fine, no big deal, but when you take like 5 things that don't matter and put them together then something's going to start to matter soon enough.
Old 09-02-2020, 12:39 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Thrillho
Honestly man overthinking is the only way to stay ahead of the repairs on these cars, at least on mine. Not only that but these things add up; if you have one thing that doesn't matter then it's fine, no big deal, but when you take like 5 things that don't matter and put them together then something's going to start to matter soon enough.
VQ isn't magical. It's advanced compared to domestic garbage of the time, but it's still just a plain ol DOHC timing chain. Use at least decent 40 weight oil and it's fine.