5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 10:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Won't start

Hello all. I have a question that may have a million answers. I recently obtained a 2000 maxima from a friend. I picked the car up and brought it home. It sat a couple months and now I finally got the title straight. I tried to start today and battery was bad so I put a new one in. Now the car cranks like it should but won't even try and start. It has almost a full tank of gas. Where would you guys start looking. It is my first Nissan. Thanks for any advice.. CRASH.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:27 AM

Does the security light blink when the car is switched off? Is the security light on or off when the ignition is turned ON?
Old 10-06-2020, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Crashdawg
Hello all. I have a question that may have a million answers. I recently obtained a 2000 maxima from a friend. I picked the car up and brought it home. It sat a couple months and now I finally got the title straight. I tried to start today and battery was bad so I put a new one in. Now the car cranks like it should but won't even try and start. It has almost a full tank of gas. Where would you guys start looking. It is my first Nissan. Thanks for any advice.. CRASH.
This decision table may help: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iOG...mKlsHwSf5/view

Old 10-07-2020, 09:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Costee
Does the security light blink when the car is switched off? Is the security light on or off when the ignition is turned ON?
when key is inserted the light flashes slow. if i turn key to run position it is off
Old 10-07-2020, 10:29 AM

That rules out NATS in a way. Try the checklist suggested in the link provided by maxiiiboy.
Old 10-08-2020, 07:56 PM
Bk2

If the fuel pump clicks when you turn the key to second position it is working, with the battery being new and it’s cranking then it’s not a battery or starter problem. I’d check the alternator. Sometimes they go bad when the car sits as well. Had it with my 01 mustang gt I changed the bat and alternator then car sat for two years battery was fine with a jump but alternator was toast.
Old 10-09-2020, 11:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Bk2
If the fuel pump clicks when you turn the key to second position it is working, with the battery being new and it’s cranking then it’s not a battery or starter problem. I’d check the alternator. Sometimes they go bad when the car sits as well. Had it with my 01 mustang gt I changed the bat and alternator then car sat for two years battery was fine with a jump but alternator was toast.
motor turns over like there is no problem. Just won't start.
Old 10-09-2020, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Crashdawg
motor turns over like there is no problem. Just won't start.
Well, that's a clear indication of what's wrong. Your problem is one/more of the following:
  • No Spark. Pull a spark plug and verify it's firing when you crank the engine. If not firing, check the fuses and coils.
  • No Fuel. Is the fuel pump running? ... It should run for a couple of seconds the moment you turn the ignition to ON. The fuel pump is under the back seat. Have a helper check the voltage on the lead. If the fuel pump is not running, there are three possible culprits: The pump itself or the associated relay, the FP fuse (see below), or the CPS (see the next bullet).
  • ECU gets no feedback from CPS. The ECU relies on the feedback from the CPS to confirm that the engine is firing. If no feedback, it shuts off the injectors to prevent flooding the engine.
I suggest you start with the easy stuff first. Check all fuses, and the following two in particular: a) The ENG CONT1 fuse in the fuse box by the battery, and b) The fuel pump and injector fuse (#29 in the fuse blox by your left hand).

Last edited by maxiiiboy; 10-09-2020 at 01:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-09-2020, 09:49 PM

Fuse.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

been working way too much so i had to wait on the car. i did get to run a scan and it says crank position senor.. anyone here ever changed one of them?
Old 10-29-2020, 09:50 AM

Yep, crankshaft and the camshaft sensors can cause that. Pretty common problem. Use the Hitachi sensors. Be real careful taking off the connector. Its not the usual squeeze type.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by rodent_infested_03
Yep, crankshaft and the camshaft sensors can cause that. Pretty common problem. Use the Hitachi sensors. Be real careful taking off the connector. Its not the usual squeeze type.
where is this located on these cars.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:16 AM

look it up, its posted around here, they are on the engine