5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

loose hose, spilling oil?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 10:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

loose hose, spilling oil?

What is this hose and where does it belong?

Last edited by Malachai; 12-01-2020 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:34 AM

Picture shows indications of oil misting/vapors/seeping by evidence of dirt encrusting. I don't see oil spilling (wet puddles). How much oil is on the ground under the vehicle? Is vehicle underside coated with oil?
Old 12-01-2020, 11:34 AM

That’s the transmission vent.

It’s leading right to where it should.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Turbobink
That’s the transmission vent.

It’s leading right to where it should.
So that not supposed to be leading to anything is it possible that a damaged pvc valve would cause oil to seep out of it?
To answer DougR just below that hose at the base its caked in oil. I'll upload a better picture

Old 12-01-2020, 11:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DougR
Picture shows indications of oil misting/vapors/seeping by evidence of dirt encrusting. I don't see oil spilling (wet puddles). How much oil is on the ground under the vehicle? Is vehicle underside coated with oil?
I havnt noticed any oil on the ground just wet engine components and low oil symptoms
Old 12-01-2020, 12:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Malachai
I havnt noticed any oil on the ground just wet engine components and low oil symptoms

Old 12-01-2020, 01:37 PM

The vent hose, starter, components and wiring harness on my vehicle is dry and free of oil. It appears to be worthwhile looking into why yours is so wet. How many miles on your vehicle?
Verify that you have ATF fluid on the hose in the last image. Is it reddish? Does it smell like ATF? Does it smell "burnt"?
You have low oil symptoms ... so let's make sure we are absolutely clear about this ... is it low engine oil level? Or, is it low transmission fluid level?
If the level is changing, how fast does the level change?
Do you have symptoms OTHER THAN low engine oil or low transmission fluid levels? If so, describe symptoms in detail.

Last edited by DougR; 12-01-2020 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The vent hose, starter, components and wiring harness on my vehicle is dry and free of oil. It appears to be worthwhile looking into why yours is so wet. How many miles on your vehicle?
Verify that you have ATF fluid on the hose in the last image. Is it reddish? Does it smell like ATF? Does it smell "burnt"?
You have low oil symptoms ... so let's make sure we are absolutely clear about this ... is it low engine oil level? Or, is it low transmission fluid level?
If the level is changing, how fast does the level change?
Do you have symptoms OTHER THAN low engine oil or low transmission fluid levels? If so, describe symptoms in detail.
I figured I was low on ATF because I started to hear a Rattling noise when accelerating. After research low ATF could be the cause took off my oil cap and smoke bellowed from it after I topped it off with oil and the rattling went away.
I have 0 symptoms or indication of low transmission fluid
I have yet to determine how fast I am losing oil. The car is reaching 200,000 miles.
very new to being a grease monkey i dont have a keen nose for different oils smells yet. I have a rough idle with an evap leak. that got me looking into the pvc system.
Old 12-01-2020, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Malachai
I figured I was low on ATF because I started to hear a Rattling noise when accelerating. After research low ATF could be the cause took off my oil cap and smoke bellowed from it after I topped it off with oil and the rattling went away.
I have 0 symptoms or indication of low transmission fluid
I have yet to determine how fast I am losing oil. The car is reaching 200,000 miles.
very new to being a grease monkey i dont have a keen nose for different oils smells yet. I have a rough idle with an evap leak. that got me looking into the pvc system.
I think you are confusing engine oil with transmission fluid. Did the low oil pressure light come on? Extremely low engine oil level is likely to cause a rattle that usually indicates the onset of severe engine damage. Low ATF is likely to cause slipping on acceleration (engine revs up but car does not move faster). DO NOT confuse engine oil with automatic transmission fluid.

... "took off my oil cap" suggests to me you removed a cap on the valve cover which is on the left side when you are facing the engine after opening the hood. Is this correct? What is the writing on the cap you removed? Look in your owners manual to verify where you add engine oil. Where was the level on the engine oil dipstick? Above the add mark? Below the add mark? Or, perhaps no oil on dipstick? How much oil did you add? What type of fluid did you add? Engine oil, 10W30 or 10W40 or something else?

Look in your owners manual to verify where to check automatic transmission fluid (ATF) level. What is the ATF level with transmission warm and engine idling? Touch the fluid on the end of the transmission dip stick, to become familiar with what it looks like and smell it. Tell us what you observe in terms of color, smell and anything else you observe about it. Note, if transmission level is low, add Dexron III through the dipstick tube. Do not overfill. Read your owners manual for detailed instructions on how to add fluid. Failure to use the correct fluid will result in a very expensive repair.

If engine oil level was low, and you are not losing oil in a puddle under the vehicle, then your engine is burning it. Could be a PCV system issue, worn valve seals or worn engine rings. We'll figure that out after you have answered all the questions in this post.

I'm concerned that you are confusing engine oil with transmission fluid. If you have ANY doubt about this, READ your owners manual to be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN you know which is the engine oil dipstick, which is the transmission dipstick, which is the engine oil cap, how to add engine oil, and how to add transmission fluid.

Last edited by DougR; 12-01-2020 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-01-2020, 03:41 PM

Did you recently buy this vehicle? If yes, did you have the vehicle thoroughly inspected by a certified (or qualified) mechanic prior to purchasing it? Have you carefully read the owners manual, in particular the sections on do-it-yourself, care and maintenance?
Old 12-04-2020, 06:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I think you are confusing engine oil with transmission fluid. Did the low oil pressure light come on? Extremely low engine oil level is likely to cause a rattle that usually indicates the onset of severe engine damage. Low ATF is likely to cause slipping on acceleration (engine revs up but car does not move faster). DO NOT confuse engine oil with automatic transmission fluid.

... "took off my oil cap" suggests to me you removed a cap on the valve cover which is on the left side when you are facing the engine after opening the hood. Is this correct? What is the writing on the cap you removed? Look in your owners manual to verify where you add engine oil. Where was the level on the engine oil dipstick? Above the add mark? Below the add mark? Or, perhaps no oil on dipstick? How much oil did you add? What type of fluid did you add? Engine oil, 10W30 or 10W40 or something else?

Look in your owners manual to verify where to check automatic transmission fluid (ATF) level. What is the ATF level with transmission warm and engine idling? Touch the fluid on the end of the transmission dip stick, to become familiar with what it looks like and smell it. Tell us what you observe in terms of color, smell and anything else you observe about it. Note, if transmission level is low, add Dexron III through the dipstick tube. Do not overfill. Read your owners manual for detailed instructions on how to add fluid. Failure to use the correct fluid will result in a very expensive repair.

If engine oil level was low, and you are not losing oil in a puddle under the vehicle, then your engine is burning it. Could be a PCV system issue, worn valve seals or worn engine rings. We'll figure that out after you have answered all the questions in this post.

I'm concerned that you are confusing engine oil with transmission fluid. If you have ANY doubt about this, READ your owners manual to be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN you know which is the engine oil dipstick, which is the transmission dipstick, which is the engine oil cap, how to add engine oil, and how to add transmission fluid.
Yes sorry I was confusing the two and my ATF is pretty high above where it should be. doing some research I found that ATF seeping out of the vent hose is normal especially if over filled.
My car takes 5w30 full syn. I also know that maxima engines have a tendency to leak oil out of the gaskets fairly often so that could be my issue for constantly being low on engine oil. I have to do a full detail on the engine bay to have a better look see where the oil could be leaking from.
I've had the car for about a year the previous owner took great care of it and at the time nothing seemed wrong with it drove great sounded great so far have only had to do basic maintainence to it.