5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rustproofing and undercoating?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2002, 11:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rustproofing and undercoating?

Just got my Maxima yesterday. Previous car was a 96 Ford Aspire that I drove through college. Anyway, just wondering I should buy the $300 rustproofing and undercoating the dealer is trying to push. Is it needed. He mentioned something about it extending the rust warranty for to 10 years. I'd appreciate any advice.
Old 02-07-2002, 11:40 AM

Re: Rustproofing and undercoating?

Originally posted by witz
Just got my Maxima yesterday. Previous car was a 96 Ford Aspire that I drove through college. Anyway, just wondering I should buy the $300 rustproofing and undercoating the dealer is trying to push. Is it needed. He mentioned something about it extending the rust warranty for to 10 years. I'd appreciate any advice.
I've gotten bouth my "01" Max and my "89" Civic undercoated and rustproofed and the Civic has been redone this past December for $189.00 + tax which is a great price. It was done at a local place here called "Miracle Shield." The Max cost 230.00 to do and was done at Ziebart. I live in the Midwest in the Rust Belt and in the Snow Belt to be exact and REQUIRE rustproofing if I intend to keep my cars in good condition for any time. If you meet ANY of the items mentioned above I suggest you also rustproof and undercoat.

** (BTW... My Civic had a small amount of rust on it upon purchasing it and I had it repaired,painted, rustproofed and undercoated. I had this entire process done again two years later when rust reappeared in a different area of the car, and finally had it repainted again last spring. This seems extensive but it had to be done with a known rust defect in front of the rear wheel housing of the Civic and this was the only way to stop the rust. The rust has not reoccured)
Old 02-07-2002, 12:27 PM

Re: Re: Rustproofing and undercoating?

Rustproofing is a complete waste of your money! What is worse is the fact that rust proofing/undercoating/whatever they want to call it...can actually speed up the rusting of your car if they are really sloppy and plug up normal drainage holes that the manufacturer intends to be open!

At best, rustproofing may provide you with a slightly quieter ride, but you'd be better off washing and cleaning your car in the winters with that money...which is the best practice anyways if the car already had the rustproofing on it.

You're buying a modern car...they have figured out how to make properly designed/assembled/maintained cars last without rustproofing!
Old 02-07-2002, 12:29 PM

Re: Re: Rustproofing and undercoating?

Originally posted by annimax

I've gotten bouth my "01" Max and my "89" Civic undercoated and rustproofed and the Civic has been redone this past December for $189.00 + tax which is a great price. It was done at a local place here called "Miracle Shield." The Max cost 230.00 to do and was done at Ziebart. I live in the Midwest in the Rust Belt and in the Snow Belt to be exact and REQUIRE rustproofing if I intend to keep my cars in good condition for any time. If you meet ANY of the items mentioned above I suggest you also rustproof and undercoat.

** (BTW... My Civic had a small amount of rust on it upon purchasing it and I had it repaired,painted, rustproofed and undercoated. I had this entire process done again two years later when rust reappeared in a different area of the car, and finally had it repainted again last spring. This seems extensive but it had to be done with a known rust defect in front of the rear wheel housing of the Civic and this was the only way to stop the rust. The rust has not reoccured)
I've always heard that new cars come rustproofed from the manufacturer, and that doing afterwards is a waste of money. Am I wrong?
Old 02-07-2002, 12:46 PM

ever saw the Sinefild episod where Jerry is buying a new Saab? they made fun of rustproofing on that opisode, it goes something like this
Jerry: So I am getting an insider's deal
Dealer: Yes you are
Jerry: what about the rustproofing then?
Dealer: We don't even know what's that is...
Old 02-07-2002, 12:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I do live in Iowa, so I'm sure my Max will see its share of salt. But I also have a friend whose 2nd generation is holding up fine. I was thinking better safe than sorry since I just blew 28 grand, but if I really don't need this I could handle saving a few bucks to maybe eat or something.
Old 02-07-2002, 02:17 PM

We have a 93 Quest and the 2K max, both of which have rustproofing and undercoating. I live really near to the coast so I too have a lot of salt in the air. I can wash my car at 7p, and wake up at 6a the next morning and there will be a noticeable salt film already on the car. Both cars are holidng up well...(knock on wood). So like you said, better safe than sorry.
Old 02-07-2002, 06:37 PM

Re: Re: Re: Rustproofing and undercoating?

Originally posted by jsangha

I've always heard that new cars come rustproofed from the manufacturer, and that doing afterwards is a waste of money. Am I wrong?
I have never purchased a car that was rustproofed from the manufacturer and did not know that was even done but I had bodywork done and those areas were left untreated which is why I had the work redone. Maybe it is a waste but I hav not had ANY more rust
Old 02-07-2002, 07:37 PM

Rustproofing is a scam!

Modern cars come with from the factory with anti-rust "systems" This includes galvanized steel parts, rust inhibitting paints, water drainage outlet throughout the body, etc. Most cars manufactured before the 90s didn't include these technologies and often rusted very quickly. With these cars, rustproofing did help. However, with an 02 Maxima, rustproofing is a way for the dealer to make more $$$. I have a few friends in the business who have admittted they have sold these "rust proofing" services to customers and have done nothing more than giving them a brochure! If the dealer actually rustproofs your car, it may cause more harm than good. I agree with Slider71. Avoid dealer rip-offs, no rustproofing or extended warranties!
Old 02-07-2002, 10:48 PM

Re: Rustproofing and undercoating?

Originally posted by witz
Dont waste your money. Power of suggestion can make anything seem justified but reality is reality. Modern automotive steel is treated with an electrostatic zinc type primer process which allows the primer to bond to the steel and get into every nook and cranny of the body. The top coates of paint , of course, further shield the steel from moisture and corrosive elements. Rust formation occurs from chips and scratches that breach the paint and expose bare metal. Dirt and mud etc that accumuated in areas such as wheel wells hold moisture which over time, if left alone` can many times weaken the paint and allow moisture to penetrate.

Undercoating is usually nothin more than sprayed on "tar". NOT ON MY CAR!

All in all keep the car clean, hose the underbody down with a strong stream of water whenever possible paying special attention to the wheel wells.
Old 02-08-2002, 07:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'll skip out and save the cash.
Old 02-08-2002, 10:04 PM

we got it done, but our car is new, so I don't really know if it is worth it or not.