5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ENGINE SWAPS

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2000, 10:03 PM
Surge Diesal

Tried posting this in the 4th gen forum and noone seemed to know or care. Do you think that the 222 can be dropped in a 4th gen with no major problems. How do you think the tranny would match? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-15-2000, 07:00 AM
The missing moderator

Originally posted by Surge Diesal
Tried posting this in the 4th gen forum and noone seemed to know or care. Do you think that the 222 can be dropped in a 4th gen with no major problems. How do you think the tranny would match? Any help would be appreciated.
Yes but why? Go buy a supercharger or sell you 4th gen and buy a 5th. It'll probably cost you atleaset $5000-$7500 to get the engine, tranny, ecu, wiring harness, etc to do the swap. supercharger is a LOT cheaper.

-Shing
Old 11-15-2000, 07:11 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Try to be more careful with your comments -->

__________________________________________________ _________
Tried posting this in the 4th gen forum and noone seemed to know or care
__________________________________________________ _________

No one responds to posts like this because you obviously failed to use the "search" feature at the top right of the page, and you haven't educated yourself on how many ponies you can get out of the 95-99 VQ motor in the first place.

Shing was very kind to mention that an SC and a tranny valvebody upgrade (if you have an auto) is the easiest way to instantly get to 280 reliable ponies (non-corrected, of course).

Even mods such as a y-pipe, CAI (cold air intake) could get you to 220 reliable ponies without a tranny upgrade. That will cost you a whopping $700 or $800.....

Visit <A HREF="www.cattmanperformance.com">www.cattmanperfo rmance.com</A> for more details....

You would save yourself a couple of grand and a lot of headaches....
Old 11-15-2000, 05:46 PM
Surge Diesal

Sorry to be a bother

What I was trying to get at was that there are internal components that are "lightened to improve throttle response." Which of these if any can be retrofitted. The cost of these parts is simply bonus to get the most possible hp you are entitled too, in addition to supercharging, intake, and exhaust. Didn't mean to come off that harsh.

Old 11-15-2000, 07:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I think the 5th generation motor >>>>>>>>

will fit easily into the 4th generation car. Wait for a year or so before doing this, the cost of a used 2K motor will go down by then when they become more plentiful, maybe around $1-1.5K. I am pretty sure you will still be able to use the 4th generation tranny. The key to this swap is probably patience, someone will probably do it soon, or maybe someone already has, once it has been done documented and proven that it will work, more people will probably do the swap. Yes you can add a SC, but if you can start off with 32 more HP and then add the SC, I think this would be the best way to go. Now I have asked JIM WOLF TECHNOLOGY engineers about this and they actually told me that if I can find a japanese spec CEFIRO 95-99 and get the intake manifold from it, they can reprogram my ECU with an added solinoid that they provided to operate the dual intake manifold from the Cefiro to work on our cars. the engineers say that 90% of the additional power made by the 2K motor is from this same dual intake manifold. The cost is $500 for programming and the solinoid is another $450. I have tried to look into this but can not find anyone that can get a used CEFIRO intake manifold from a japanese spec car. If you are able to find one for cheap, let me know, I may want to buy one too. Good Luck !!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2000, 11:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You have a very creative mind Julian,

congrats,try emailing Got Rice? I know he definetly has connections with people in Japan so give him a Email,and if and when you ever get this I expect a full report on my desk haha,good luck and great idea.