5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Throttle Body plate/gasket mystery

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 03:02 PM

Throttle Body plate/gasket mystery

Hey guys,
I just got my car back together after doing the rear valve cover gasket and I replaced the throttle body gasket when I put it back together. It was the O-Ring type gasket that pressed into the plastic intake manifold, then the black plate goes onto that and then the throttle body goes up against the black plate.

Well there is no gasket between the black plate and throttle body, it's just metal to metal. So why have a gasket to seal the black plate to the manifold and then none to seal the other side of the black plate to the throttle body? I can't find the black plate anywhere in the diagrams...it's like it's not even supposed to be there. It's driving me nuts, I feel like either the plate shouldn't be there or there should be a second gasket.

Does anybody know about this? Thank you
Old 11-30-2021, 06:25 PM

I just put mine back together today. I probably did it wrong. I went:

1. New o-ring like gasket pressed into intake manifold
2. Black plate
3. Flat gasket between black plate and throttle body.

I got the intake manifold gasket "kit" from OReilly's (Fel-Pro I think). I didn't do the lower intake gaskets because I didn't disassemble the top of the motor that far. I also did not replace the other gasket in the kit (IACV?). I just put them away for later if that ever happens.

Edit to add: I think I did it correctly according to the pic:

Last edited by maximanut2001; 11-30-2021 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-30-2021, 06:59 PM

16293MA is what you are Missing the Other Gasket between the Plate and TB.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:30 PM

One other thing I wanted to add.....I remember when i took my throttle body and the black plate off, there was NOT a flat gasket in between there. As far as I know, this is the first time coming off as I am the original owner of this 2001 Maxima. I only put the flat gasket on in between there because it was in the kit.

Perhaps someone knows if the cars did not originally have a gasket from the factory in between TB and black plate.
Old 12-01-2021, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by maximanut2001
I just put mine back together today. I probably did it wrong. I went:

1. New o-ring like gasket pressed into intake manifold
2. Black plate
3. Flat gasket between black plate and throttle body.

I got the intake manifold gasket "kit" from OReilly's (Fel-Pro I think). I didn't do the lower intake gaskets because I didn't disassemble the top of the motor that far. I also did not replace the other gasket in the kit (IACV?). I just put them away for later if that ever happens.

Edit to add: I think I did it correctly according to the pic:

Well shoot, now I'm even more confused. I had typed my VIN number in at Nissan Parts Deal and got a different diagram. Apparently the diagram you posted is for Maximas made from 06/2000-06/2001. Mine was manufactured 12/99 and has a slightly different diagram with no plate showing, that's why I couldn't find it. But there IS a plate there on the actual car, just no gasket behind it. And you have said you didn't have a gasket, and I didn't have a gasket, and I watched a guy on YouTube take his apart and it didn't have a gasket either. But Nissan put one there later in production?

I can't believe the black plate isn't even in my diagram, that's what threw me off. Here is mine:

Old 12-01-2021, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Legionnaire1856
Well shoot, now I'm even more confused. I had typed my VIN number in at Nissan Parts Deal and got a different diagram. Apparently the diagram you posted is for Maximas made from 06/2000-06/2001. Mine was manufactured 12/99 and has a slightly different diagram with no plate showing, that's why I couldn't find it. But there IS a plate there on the actual car, just no gasket behind it. And you have said you didn't have a gasket, and I didn't have a gasket, and I watched a guy on YouTube take his apart and it didn't have a gasket either. But Nissan put one there later in production?

I can't believe the black plate isn't even in my diagram, that's what threw me off. Here is mine:

Others can comment, but it is not uncommon for parts diagrams to change and/or be off. I'm 100% positive that my TB has never been off before me and there was no gasket there.