5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Valve Cover Gasket Replacement - $1000?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2022, 09:17 AM

Valve Cover Gasket Replacement - $1000?

Hello everyone,

I have what appears to be a valve cover gasket leak on my 2000 Maxima (GXE I believe). I brought it to my mechanic and was quoted $1000 to replace that gasket(s?). I was surprised to see that other local mechanics quote similar.

I've only ever done my brake pads so I'm not familiar with this repair and the labor that goes into it but I watched a video of someone replacing the valve cover gasket on a different car and it looked very quick and simple. I also read a couple comments on this forum where people said it was simple.

So I wanted to know, is maybe the video I watched deceptive and the gasket would be harder to get to and replace on a 2000 Maxima, hence the $1000 price tag? Is this something a beginner could/should do? I would like to do it myself if it's not super hard and I don't need any expensive or obscure tools to do it but I imagine there must the something I'm missing here if it's $1000 for the mechanic to do it.
Old 10-20-2022, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by PaintItParker
Hello everyone,

I have what appears to be a valve cover gasket leak on my 2000 Maxima (GXE I believe). I brought it to my mechanic and was quoted $1000 to replace that gasket(s?). I was surprised to see that other local mechanics quote similar.

I've only ever done my brake pads so I'm not familiar with this repair and the labor that goes into it but I watched a video of someone replacing the valve cover gasket on a different car and it looked very quick and simple. I also read a couple comments on this forum where people said it was simple.

So I wanted to know, is maybe the video I watched deceptive and the gasket would be harder to get to and replace on a 2000 Maxima, hence the $1000 price tag? Is this something a beginner could/should do? I would like to do it myself if it's not super hard and I don't need any expensive or obscure tools to do it but I imagine there must the something I'm missing here if it's $1000 for the mechanic to do it.

It's a labor intensive task. You need to remove the intake. If you are already paying for that labor, you may as well be efficient with your labor cost and replace the coil packs and spark plugs as part of the job. I wasted more than that trying to rescue my 2002 engine. When you have a 20+ year old vehicle, you either need to live with an ongoing series of breakdowns or WISELY spend the big bucks, get the best parts available, essentially restoring the vehicle. Don't use a mechanic that is willing to waste your money.

I personally ****HATE**** working under the hood. You can do this yourself. I would recommend rehearsing your repair on a Maxima at a you-pull salvage yard. Go purchase some cheap, but hard to get to salvage part that requires removing the valve covers.
Old 10-20-2022, 11:36 AM

Hello everyone,

I did this job myself. My first leak happened on the front valve cover. That was relatively easy. About a year or so later, the rear valve cover developed a leak on the passenger side. That is a time intensive job, but was not insurmountable. I took my time and it took me about 4 hours. If I recall correctly, I bought Fel-Pro gasket kit from O'Reilly's for the job that covered the valve cover gaskets (and screws that hold them on, intake gasket at the Throttle body and all probably a couple other items I don't remember.

While you are there:

1. Do the valve gaskets.
2. Do any other gaskets (throttle body, etc...)
3. Change your PCV valve (easy to get to when the intake is off)
4. Change any old/brittle vacuum hoses.
5. Change plugs if needed.
6. Change coils if needed.
7. Perform the coolant bypass of the IACV, disconnect the electronic motor mounts (for automatic trans) and change ENG CONT1 fuse to 7.5A - https://www.my4dsc.com/preventing-ec...nissan-maxima/

Note: 5 & 6 really no problem to do in any case. 7 I would do ASAP...ask me how I know.
Old 10-20-2022, 07:04 PM

It is tedious but not hard. Just lots of steps. If you like messing with cars, and like saving money, then DYI. I have done both front and rear. It gets easier every time you do it.
Old 10-20-2022, 09:26 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

$1000?! That's hilarious.
Old 10-21-2022, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by JSutter
When sitting down at the "rescue an old Maxima" table, that's just the ante. All told, I will have spent and in some cases wasted 8 times that on just the engine in my 2002. I did a "face palm" for not discovering that low mileage teal 2002 Maxima from Florida listed on this site earlier this year. Short term, his 3.0 engine will be less of a headache than a VQ35DE. He will soon hit the 25 year wall where parts are much harder to get. I hope that he tries my idea of dismantling that part of the engine at a salvage yard for practice.

Last edited by 2002SEMT; 10-21-2022 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-23-2022, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by maximanut2001
1. Do the valve gaskets.
2. Do any other gaskets (throttle body, etc...)
3. Change your PCV valve (easy to get to when the intake is off)
4. Change any old/brittle vacuum hoses.
5. Change plugs if needed.
6. Change coils if needed.
7. Perform the coolant bypass of the IACV, disconnect the electronic motor mounts (for automatic trans) and change ENG CONT1 fuse to 7.5A - https://www.my4dsc.com/preventing-ec...nissan-maxima/
Thanks so much for sharing. Are any of these things not really beginner friendly, though? Truly only ever did brake pads, which was not too hard but I'd be nervous to do something harder without someone with me who knows what they are doing.
Old 10-23-2022, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by 2002SEMT
I hope that he tries my idea of dismantling that part of the engine at a salvage yard for practice.
I've never thought about that until you mentioned it, really cool idea.
Old 10-23-2022, 12:47 PM

I think it's mostly because of where I live, the labor cost is extremely high. I can drive a few hours out away from this city for cheaper labor costs but that would be quite the journey if it's something I can do myself as a beginner. I do want to learn these things, it's just scary.
Old 10-24-2022, 05:26 AM

I started my DIY journey by doing my own oil change many years ago when I saw some kid at a lub shop making a mess of my car and an oil change was pushing towards $100.

Then I graduated to brake pads because I trusted myself more than some incompetent mechanic who was trying to constantly sell me services that I did not need.

I am the second owner of my 2003 I35 car. It was driven by a grandma and when I bought it in 2006 from the family, it only had 15,000 miles on it. Fast forward today. I still own the car and it has almost 180,000 miles on it.

As the car got older, it needed more complex and costly repairs. But I got braver. With YouTube , it is amazing what you can learn from some very smart people who are kind enough to share their knowledge. Over the last 16 years, I probably spent no more than $1000 paying someone to fix my car.

IMO - my car is getting to the stage, where it is not worth very much any more. So I am not going to spend thousands to keep it going. But I will buy the parts and learn to do it myself. If I totally screw up the car, it is time to get another one anyways.

My latest adventure is a local shop wanted $2500 to fix my AC. I bought the compressor and all the parts for ~$350 from Amazon and did it myself.

My most challenging project was during COVID lockdown when I had to fix the timing chain rattle by opening the timing chain cover. Thank God that we had no where to go because my car was ripped apart for several months in my garage. BTW - I did call around to some local garages to see how much they would charge me to fix the timing chain guides. Well, none of them wanted to touch it because of the age of the car. So I had no choice but to do it myself. At one point, I was lost but the very smart people on this forum got me back on the right track. My car runs great now.

The moral of the story is we all got started by doing simple things to our cars. We either like to tinker with cars and / or save money. I don’t know how old you are but fixing and maintaining cars is a lost skill with today’s generation.

Be brave, keep learning, keep fixing. Knowledge is power. At the bare minimum, even if you end up having to pay someone to do repairs, you know enough to prevent some crooked mechanic from ripping you off. A side benefit is that you will have lots of friends calling you for car advice years from now.

If you do tackle the engine cover gasket, make sure to do it on some weekend when you are not rushed to have it fixed. I remember the rear cover took most of a day when I did it the first time years ago. Enjoy fixing!
Old 10-24-2022, 09:22 AM

yeaa +1, having this forum has kept me super informed of what is going on with the car, so when I take it in to a mechanic I typically can just tell them what work I want to be performed, and have a decent idea what the work involves I am requesting them to do. once in a while I have them diagnose/inspect and tell me what they find but usually its the former and I can just have an order of work and no guessing what will be wrong all thanks to maxima.org
Old 10-24-2022, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by I35GEEK
The moral of the story is we all got started by doing simple things to our cars. We either like to tinker with cars and / or save money. I don’t know how old you are but fixing and maintaining cars is a lost skill with today’s generation.

Be brave, keep learning, keep fixing. Knowledge is power. At the bare minimum, even if you end up having to pay someone to do repairs, you know enough to prevent some crooked mechanic from ripping you off. A side benefit is that you will have lots of friends calling you for car advice years from now.
I'm just about "today's generation" and I'll keep learning and trying things, just a bit limited in what I can try not having a driveway but will try whatever I can from my parking lot and look forward to a future with a driveway and garage!
Old 10-25-2022, 02:17 PM

Maybe the $1000 estimate included other while-you're-in-there type work?
Old 10-25-2022, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by 90sWheels
Maybe the $1000 estimate included other while-you're-in-there type work?
I wish, but they had everything itemized and I spoke to them on the phone regarding all the work they suggested be done. I used RepairPal and saw it was within the range of normal costs for this job in my (very expensive) area.

Old 10-25-2022, 03:30 PM

Looks like you also had a quote to replace CV axles. That is another one of those “easy if you know how” DIYs. Cost of materials <$100. Mechanic charges $1000.
Old 10-25-2022, 03:46 PM

Looks like you also had a quote to replace CV axles. That is another one of those “easy if you know how” DIYs. Cost of materials <$100. Mechanic charges $1000.
I'm putting that off because I don't hear any clicking or anything but I'd like to try it myself if I can find someone to help out in my area! I heard it can be a little difficult without an extra set of hands.
Old 10-25-2022, 04:22 PM

Is your issue the passenger or driver side CV axle? Usually the passenger side is the problem first. I have done the passenger side on a couple of my vehicles. It was not too bad. The trick is to find a method that minimizes the number of parts you have to unbolt. There is no right or wrong way.
Old 10-25-2022, 04:30 PM

Is your issue the passenger or driver side CV axle? Usually the passenger side is the problem first. I have done the passenger side on a couple of my vehicles. It was not too bad. The trick is to find a method that minimizes the number of parts you have to unbolt. There is no right or wrong way.
They wanted to do both sides because the boots are torn. Like I said I don't hear anything but I don't know if I should be holding off just because it's not making any sound.
Old 10-25-2022, 05:31 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

At those rates I've saved myself hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Replacing a drive shaft was probably the first "big" job I ever did. It's easy with the correct tools. Do you have the tools or want to start investing in them?
Old 10-25-2022, 05:58 PM

At those rates I've saved myself hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Replacing a drive shaft was probably the first "big" job I ever did. It's easy with the correct tools. Do you have the tools or want to start investing in them?
I know, it's a lot. My other car (which was no longer worth the money to repair it, hence me getting the Maxima) is a 2003 Pontiac Grand Am and I've put off so many repairs over the past couple years because the prices are insane but the car is too rust-ridden and fragile for me to feel confident in doing any repairs myself anymore.

I will invest in tools within reason! I am in an apartment and I only have a parking lot. It isn't patrolled or anything but I still wouldn't do anything crazy given it's not my property and I need to completely wrap up whatever I'm doing before the sun is down.

I did my brake pads on the Grand Am in my parking lot successfully but anything more involved than that, I'm a little nervous.
Old 10-26-2022, 12:42 PM

Now I understand your limitations. You can start by looking at some YouTube videos and learn what is in involved. You can then decide whether it is something that you want to get involved with.

I don’t know whether you need to do the front or the rear Valve cover but the front is much easier than the rear. You will need to remove the manifold to do the rear. That is why it is more complex. When I did the rear the very first time, it took me most of a day. You will also have numerous parts out of your car and in the parking lot. All things to consider. Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 10-31-2022, 02:37 AM

It's just Legos. Take a bunch of stuff apart, and in the process of disassembly, you learn how it all goes back together. Take good video of the engine before and as you go and you'll be fine. maxinout's post #3 is the best practice advice. Just do both covers and his list. His list is spot on and you'll never have to do anything again for as long as you own the car.

Tasks never done before always seem difficult because of the unknown factor. I can have my upper intake manifold and both bank rocker covers off in about 20 minutes.

It would be wise, however, to download the FSM and study the page that illustrates where the liquid sealant must be applied. These rocker covers use both a rubber gasket in conjunction with sealant. Use Ultra Grey.

And if you hit a snag, we're always here.
Old 10-31-2022, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by User1
It's just Legos. Take a bunch of stuff apart, and in the process of disassembly, you learn how it all goes back together. Take good video of the engine before and as you go and you'll be fine. maxinout's post #3 is the best practice advice. Just do both covers and his list. His list is spot on and you'll never have to do anything again for as long as you own the car.

Tasks never done before always seem difficult because of the unknown factor. I can have my upper intake manifold and both bank rocker covers off in about 20 minutes.

It would be wise, however, to download the FSM and study the page that illustrates where the liquid sealant must be applied. These rocker covers use both a rubber gasket in conjunction with sealant. Use Ultra Grey.

And if you hit a snag, we're always here.
Really love how you phrased all this, thank you, I feel really motivated now to do it myself.
Old 10-31-2022, 08:39 PM

As daunting as it may seem, it's actually a lot of fun. This is top end stuff, you don't even have to crawl under the car. Cake walk once you get the guts and just start.
Old 10-31-2022, 08:51 PM

Download "EM - Engine Mechanical"

https://www.my4dsc.com/nissan-info/f...ervice-manual/

Reference page EM-49 for liquid sealant application. Nothing to it.

Old 10-31-2022, 09:07 PM

Motivational music always helps me get over the hump. These guys help me calm down, clear my mind and enter a zen moment that really helps...

Old 11-01-2022, 05:28 AM

Really love how you phrased all this, thank you, I feel really motivated now to do it myself.

I was like you 20 years ago when I had my 1959 Chevrolet. With these (comparatively) modern vehicles there are all kinds of electronic damage that one can do. You can set off the airbags and here's all kinds of circuits that you can damage. Be darn careful. Since you won't have experienced anything better, you won't mind pinching your fingers and scraping your hands in all those tight spaces. I would only consider working on my own car because I don't trust mechanics to use only the best parts where price is no object.

If you try to save money on parts, you'll sorely regret it. There's a defective parts crisis going on; it pays to be mindful of that. Try OEM, MAYBE NAPA if OEM isn't available. My experience is that repairing a 20 year old Maxima is a recipe for frustration. RESTORE, don't repair. Fix everything that MIGHT break, not just stuff that's broken.

I prefer to spend my time building my experience in enterprise level computer systems. Trying to do my own work on a modern vehicle is just to tedious and frustrating.

Now days, a 5th Gen Maxima is better than a 1950s vehicle because the supply of restoration parts has dried up for the 1950s cars. What use to be a $20K restoration is now a $75K restoration because special parts fabrications are necessary instead of just walking into a restoration parts shop. I still don't understand why these 5th Gen Maximas aren't worth more money in the marketplace.

Last edited by 2002SEMT; 11-01-2022 at 05:38 AM.
Old 11-01-2022, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by User1
Motivational music always helps me get over the hump. These guys help me calm down, clear my mind and enter a zen moment that really helps...
Loved them when I was 15-16 or so!
Old 11-04-2022, 06:51 AM

Glad I found this thread. My 01 I30 needs a valve cover replacement. They have it listed as "left" & "right" valve covers on the estimate. Local trusted mechanic quoted me $124 for parts/supplies & $644 for labor. Seems reasonable to me. I've never done anything like this job before so I'm hesitant to do this.

OP - did you end up doing the work yourself?
Old 11-04-2022, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by clayman88
Glad I found this thread. My 01 I30 needs a valve cover replacement. They have it listed as "left" & "right" valve covers on the estimate. Local trusted mechanic quoted me $124 for parts/supplies & $644 for labor. Seems reasonable to me. I've never done anything like this job before so I'm hesitant to do this.

OP - did you end up doing the work yourself?
I haven't done it yet! I've been watching a lot of videos of people fixing things in the engine so I'm not totally clueless of what I'm seeing when I do this. I've never done anything in there beyond replacing fluids and the fuse I did the other day. But I absolutely do plan to do this myself soon along with the others things suggested in the thread.

If you search the 5th gen section of this forum, I believe someone wrote up a guide on the steps to get to and replace the valve cover gaskets.
Old 11-04-2022, 11:42 AM

https://www.nissanhelp.com/diy/maxim...eplacement.php

This is the best guide that I have seen for removing valve covers. It minimizes the number of parts that you have to remove in order to take the rear valve cover off. It was written for replacing spark plugs but you can skip the spark plug steps if you are just replacing the valve cover gasket.

I discovered the guide over 10 years ago and I still use it today as a reminder. For all you new DIY’ers, do not be afraid. Like someone said, it is like Lego. Remove a bunch of parts. It is hard to screw up. Just take lots of pics as you are taking things apart. It will help you when you have to put everything back together. Good luck!
Old 11-05-2022, 11:55 AM

Definitely do the Valve Cover gasket yourself.....you can clean the engine bay while you are at it too....
Old 11-05-2022, 05:27 PM

For motivation - Keep reminding yourself that you are saving close to $1000 and you are learning new skills. You will also learn a lot about how yours car runs.
Old 11-07-2022, 06:58 AM

Probably (2) of the most comprehensive vids on removing plenum & rear valve cover, the most complicated parts of the procedure.
Old 11-07-2022, 08:27 PM

https://www.nissanhelp.com/diy/maxim...eplacement.php

This is the best guide that I have seen for removing valve covers. It minimizes the number of parts that you have to remove in order to take the rear valve cover off. It was written for replacing spark plugs but you can skip the spark plug steps if you are just replacing the valve cover gasket.

I discovered the guide over 10 years ago and I still use it today as a reminder. For all you new DIY’ers, do not be afraid. Like someone said, it is like Lego. Remove a bunch of parts. It is hard to screw up. Just take lots of pics as you are taking things apart. It will help you when you have to put everything back together. Good luck!
Thanks so much for sharing this. I notice the guide is for the 2002-2003 3.5L engine, would the process be the same for the 2000 3.0L? I don't know much about engine differences, sorry if that's a super silly question haha
Old 11-08-2022, 04:28 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Thanks so much for sharing this. I notice the guide is for the 2002-2003 3.5L engine, would the process be the same for the 2000 3.0L? I don't know much about engine differences, sorry if that's a super silly question haha
It will help but there are many more things on a 3.0 to remove. You will need to find a how to specifically for a VQ30DE-k. Even the older VQ30DE is way different.
Old 11-08-2022, 06:38 PM

It will help but there are many more things on a 3.0 to remove. You will need to find a how to specifically for a VQ30DE-k. Even the older VQ30DE is way different.
Well that's discouraging. I don't think I've found any videos or guides for this for my engine specifically.
Old 05-17-2023, 05:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 2002SEMT
It's a labor intensive task. You need to remove the intake. If you are already paying for that labor, you may as well be efficient with your labor cost and replace the coil packs and spark plugs as part of the job. I wasted more than that trying to rescue my 2002 engine. When you have a 20+ year old vehicle, you either need to live with an ongoing series of breakdowns or WISELY spend the big bucks, get the best parts available, essentially restoring the vehicle. Don't use a mechanic that is willing to waste your money.

I personally ****HATE**** working under the hood. You can do this yourself. I would recommend rehearsing your repair on a Maxima at a you-pull salvage yard. Go purchase some cheap, but hard to get to salvage part that requires removing the valve covers.

I was able to access the rear spark plugs and coils no problem on my 2000 SE with the intake on. I actually waited to put the coils back in after I reinstalled my intake.

Nothing to the valve covers it's not that bad I just made sure i torque mine back down to factory specs and followed the tighting procedure in the manual for intake as well. I took a few pictures so I could remember where the vacuum lines and various wires were routed but ended up not needing them.

Last edited by Oklahoma; 05-17-2023 at 05:33 AM.
Old 05-17-2023, 09:21 AM

I'm glad I learned how to fix my own $h!t, I've saved so much on repairs and upgrades.. the money I save and make will be going towards a paint job later this year. right now I'm focused on finishing the 7th gen swap. 😁

Old 05-17-2023, 09:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by uptownsamcv
I'm glad I learned how to fix my own $h!t, I've saved so much on repairs and upgrades.. the money I save and make will be going towards a paint job later this year. right now I'm focused on finishing the 7th gen swap. 😁

Looking good there bud.

Quick Reply: Valve Cover Gasket Replacement - $1000?