5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

auto shift

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 01:28 PM

auto shift

i hav a ques on how to install another auto shift ****
specifically the levoc auto shift **** from custommaxima.com
the installation instructions that came with it are kinda crappy, i just need to know how to remove the old shift ****, and wut do i do about the wires, and if there is a way to remove the silver attachment where it shows the "P," "R" "N" D" etc etc, that plate should come off so i can get to the wires for the OD.
y2kev, i think u hav an auto, did u switch ure shift ****?
Old 02-08-2002, 02:19 PM

Re: auto shift

Originally posted by crzyballa33
i hav a ques on how to install another auto shift ****
specifically the levoc auto shift **** from custommaxima.com
the installation instructions that came with it are kinda crappy, i just need to know how to remove the old shift ****, and wut do i do about the wires, and if there is a way to remove the silver attachment where it shows the "P," "R" "N" D" etc etc, that plate should come off so i can get to the wires for the OD.
y2kev, i think u hav an auto, did u switch ure shift ****?
Man you just screwed yourself majorly...this is one of those mods that, in theory, should be easy, but will end up just being a total pain in the azzz.

You have two options with the shifter:

---------------------------------------------
1) You can take the short cut. Unscrew the stock shifter and pull it up as high as you can off the stalk. There will be two wires on the bottom of it. These two wires are for the O/D. You want to cut these as close to the shifter as you can so that you'll have some slack to work with. Be careful not to let them fall into the center console, otherwise it'll be a biotch to get them back out.

Now that you've cut the shifter off, you've pretty much gone past the point of no return. You won't have enough slack in the wires to retwist them. It's all or nothing now.

Whatever you do, don't let those two wires fall into the console.

Now place the shifter over the stalk and test to see if it fits. The AE shift **** didn't not fit onto non-AE models. This step is key.

If it fits, then the situation is not so bad. If it doesn't fit, you are in for some aggrevation. Assuming it doesn't fit, you will now need to file/Dremel/sand the plastic **** on the end of the stalk. Since you can't really see how the **** needs to be shaped to fit into the new shifter, it's pretty much guess and check. It's tedious since you can only do a little at a time, lest you take off too much and in which case you will need to replace you whole shift unit for ~$300.

Assuming the Levoc shifter fits and has an O/D button, you'll need to now wire the new shifter onto those two wires that you cut. Since you'll have very little slack on the two wires, this could be tricky. Eventually, you'll want to either solder or twist the two wires onto their counterparts on the new shifter. And tape them up with some electrical tape.

2) Do it the right way and remove the center console, which is a little tricky, but not at all hard. The shift unit should now be exposed. There should be two wires coming out of the bottom of the stock shifter...these are the wires for the O/D. Trace them to where they plug into the shift unit (a little tricky since the wires wrap around). Pull out those two wires (or cut them) and plug the Levoc shifter's O/D wires into where you pulled them out of.

The same deal goes with the above. In either case, the shifter may or may not fit onto the stalk without modification to the polyurethane **** at the end of the stalk.

If it fits, and the shifter works, consider yourself lucky. You should have reconnected the two white wires and screwed the new shifter onto the stalk. Place the cover for the center console back on and you're all set.

This was the biggest pain in the *** mod that I did...well, it isn't that difficult, but the thing is that you expect it to be easy, but it ends up taking like 4-8 hours to make it work if you end up having to sand/cut/dremel the polyurethane ****.

As I remember, there are only 2-4 screws that hold the console cover down. One behind the ashtray thingy (is it really an ashtray? it's got fuzz in it) and maybe a few inside of the cubby on the center console (not the cup holders). Aside from that, there are some clips that hold it in place. once you're positive that you've removed all the screws, then start plying up the cover with a thin flathead screwdriver wrapped in a soft cloth so you don't damage the plastic. I believe there are 4 places where the cover is clipped to the console.
Old 02-08-2002, 03:42 PM

thanx bro
i just finished it
ure right it WAS a pain in the A$$
but thanx for the reply
it looks ok, a little high, but oh well ill live