5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2001 Nissan Maxima Fuel Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2023 | 10:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2001 Nissan Maxima Fuel Problem

So This only happens on a cold start but when i turn the key the car turns and the engine runs. Then after about a sec it shuts down. It seems to start just fine when i give the car a gas. I think its a fuel pump problem but i wanted to post on here and see if anyone else has had the same problem with a fix. I will be getting a code reader when i get paid but would like to see if i can solve the problem without one.

Any advice will be amazing and i will check daily

This is a short I recorded of the car starting up. Hope it helps
Old 04-03-2023 | 12:42 PM

Most vehicles I have seen do that after sitting its the fuel pump bleeding down, you should be able to find a spec online for how much fuel pressure should be at the rail after sitting a certain amount of hours. Some parts places will rent out tools with a deposit, you should be able to get a mechanic fuel pressure gauge as a loaner and hook it up then see what the fuel pressure is after sitting. Or if decent fuel pumps are cheap enough, just throw a dart and replace it lol
Old 04-05-2023 | 08:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So I threw a dart and changed the fuel pump. Did not fix the start up problem sadly. but I can feel my car speeds up a lot quicker. Looking to replace the 02 sensor as when I read the code that the one that popped up. Ill go to Auto Zone tomorrow and rent a fuel pressure gauge. Thanks for the advice
Old 04-06-2023 | 07:21 PM

It could be something electrical doing this.. low to no fuel will start your car but cause a very low idle or a slight bog when free revving like that.

Try this trick with the key... Cycle it 3 times before you actually start the car to Over prime the pump.. Then see if it starts correctly. It's unclear if you changed the pump only or the entire Unit.... check the Fuel pressure regulator if you suspect this to still be fuel related. It's failure usually results in an over extended crank time after sitting over night, not so much a start and stall but anything is possible. Check it if its still the OEM one.

I dealt with the issue of having to double start my car for months. I swapped pumps with no avail. Never thinking the regulator would be the issue, It was. My car now starts instantly.

Old 04-07-2023 | 12:13 PM

usually on cars with throttle cable there is a piece that holds the throttle body slightly open on cold starts along with an IACV.
Old 04-07-2023 | 02:50 PM

When it does start is there a visible emission from the exhaust pipe?

Even if that answer is No, does the exhaust (on startup and if/when you keep it running) smell of raw fuel?

What I’m getting at is a possible fuel injector failure.
Old 04-12-2023 | 05:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Reality sucks
It could be something electrical doing this.. low to no fuel will start your car but cause a very low idle or a slight bog when free revving like that.

Try this trick with the key... Cycle it 3 times before you actually start the car to Over prime the pump.. Then see if it starts correctly. It's unclear if you changed the pump only or the entire Unit.... check the Fuel pressure regulator if you suspect this to still be fuel related. It's failure usually results in an over extended crank time after sitting over night, not so much a start and stall but anything is possible. Check it if its still the OEM one.

I dealt with the issue of having to double start my car for months. I swapped pumps with no avail. Never thinking the regulator would be the issue, It was. My car now starts instantly.
I only changed the pump, not the entire unit, this link is everything I've done to the car. I plan on doing more soon. The fuel injector is the next step, going to be a couple days before those get replaced. I will try this trick next time I cold start the car, i don't want to think about electrical stuff rn. Oh I also checked the IACV and it looked fine, along with the wires connected etc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...h8E/edit#gid=0