5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Air Sensor / Intake question....

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 03:06 PM
DOHC 30 V6

Air Sensor / Intake question....

OK, I recently installed my tenzo intake, and removed all of the OSCAI but the front ram, because there was some sort of air sensor in it... what exactly does this sensor read?? Is it necessary? Can I take it out and put it in a different ram scoop im planning on making? And if i do put it in the different scoop (one that gets more air from the grill), will the increased airflow send weird readings to the ECU?? What did you all do with the stock box ram when you put in your inatkes?

Old 02-08-2002, 03:34 PM

Most people leave that part in, since it can only help to add cooler outside air to the engine compartment where your intake now resides. And it makes a nifty place to keep that 02 sensor.

My guess is you won’t have any problems relocating the 02 sensor to your new ram scoop. It probably measures the air temperature and not the amount of flow.

Since I have an OSCAI myself… did you notice any significant gains from the Tenzo intake? Do you think it was worth it?

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2002, 04:02 PM
DOHC 30 V6

Originally posted by Adboy

Since I have an OSCAI myself… did you notice any significant gains from the Tenzo intake? Do you think it was worth it?

Thanks.

Yup, I definately feel it was worth it. On its 1st test, i did a rolling start full throttle, and from 10 mph, the tires broke and continued to spin to about 40 mph. So yeah, i'm happy Also, the sound is great - it sounds like it belongs there, like it should have been there from the factory. Not that it's low, just sounds like it fits well with the car. Also, the Tenzo intake is a little different from the K&N found on the stillen - it has an outside cone and an inside cone which leaves alot of potential (ex. hooking up a ram air to the inner cone, and increasing cool air circulation...etc..). And all this will cost ya about 50 bux. Good luck, its well worth it, IMO.

Anyone else know if the air sensor reads just temp. or does it read airspeed as well?? I dont wanna throw off the balance by introducing more airflow and screwing up the ECU. Thanks all!

Old 02-08-2002, 07:15 PM

Re: Air Sensor / Intake question....

Originally posted by DOHC 30 V6
OK, I recently installed my tenzo intake, and removed all of the OSCAI but the front ram, because there was some sort of air sensor in it... what exactly does this sensor read?? Is it necessary? Can I take it out and put it in a different ram scoop im planning on making? And if i do put it in the different scoop (one that gets more air from the grill), will the increased airflow send weird readings to the ECU?? What did you all do with the stock box ram when you put in your inatkes?
I took out my stock ram air scoop after I put in my K&N intake. All I did was zip tie the temp. sensor to the battery cable and zip tied the Boost Sensor thingy to another wire. No CEL's, and didn't even disconnect the battery. Everything works fine and the engine looks cleaner after