5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

BIG problem with transmition

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 09:19 PM

BIG problem with transmission

As I was driving today, I speed up to pass a jeep and get over a lane. ( I drive an automatic) so I slow down so that I can make a right onto the highway. As I get ready to go I noticed that The transmission was acting up a little. well I go to turn out and my car wound go into 1st gear and and took forever to gain acceleration. So I left the car in the parking lot for 4 hours and then came back to pick it up. It isnt still doing the exact same things it was doing before but know I can hear it and feel it slipping gears. This is crazy! why the hell does nissan put such cheap transmissions into their cars?? I am so pis*ed. This gives me an even better reason for getting a 2k2 6speed. Hopefully the dealership doesnt give me any crap about it. I am mad!
Old 02-08-2002, 11:53 PM

Re: BIG problem with transmition

Originally posted by 00Semaxi
As I was driving today, I speed up to pass a jeep and get over a lane. ( I drive an automatic) so I slow down so that I can make a right onto the highway. As I get ready to go I noticed that The transmition was acting up a little. well I go to turn out and my car wound go into 1st gear and and took forever to gain acceleration. So I left the car in the parking lot for 4 hours and then came back to pick it up. It isnt still doing the exact same things it was doing before but know I can hear it and feel it slipping gears. This is crazy! why the hell does nissan put such cheap transmitions into their cars?? I am so pis*ed. This gives me an even better reason for getting a 2k2 6speed. Hopefully the dealership doesnt give me any crap about it. I am mad!

happened to me too. don't know what it was but i'd been disconnecting my ecu a lot then cuz of some wiring.
after a little while it returned to normal, but very disconcerting. a week later i got the service engine light and went into my dealer who reprogrammed my cat converter parameters. no problems since.

Old 02-09-2002, 07:06 AM

Re: BIG problem with transmition

As I was driving today, I speed up to pass a jeep and get over a lane. ( I drive an automatic) so I slow down so that I can make a right onto the highway. As I get ready to go I noticed that The transmition was acting up a little. well I go to turn out and my car wound go into 1st gear and and took forever to gain acceleration. So I left the car in the parking lot for 4 hours and then came back to pick it up. It isnt still doing the exact same things it was doing before but know I can hear it and feel it slipping gears. This is crazy! why the hell does nissan put such cheap transmitions into their cars?? I am so pis*ed. This gives me an even better reason for getting a 2k2 6speed. Hopefully the dealership doesnt give me any crap about it. I am mad!
Well, my 2K1 SE AE auto hasn't given me any problems!! KNOCK ON WOOD!! But then again, I know how to spell transmission, so maybe that's why...

Tony
Old 02-09-2002, 07:10 AM

you guys need to learn how to drive; you drive too hard and ruin the transmission
Old 02-09-2002, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by krazyd
you guys need to learn how to drive; you drive too hard and ruin the transmission
He needs to learn how to spell
Old 02-09-2002, 10:49 AM

I dont beat up on my car and I consider myself a civilized driver, yet my tranny is blown??

GC

Originally posted by krazyd
Old 02-09-2002, 11:28 AM

I hate hearing and feeling my second gear not catching when I give it gas to speed up. I'm glad it only happens around 35mph. I bet if I open up the transmission oil pan right now, Imma find lots of shavings.
Old 02-09-2002, 11:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

O/T

snip
Are those Momo Sports holding those tires up?
Old 02-09-2002, 12:15 PM

Re: O/T

Originally posted by MichaelAE

Are those Momo Sports holding those tires up?
Huh?
Old 02-09-2002, 01:07 PM

Re: Re: O/T

Huh?
What kind of rims do you have?
Old 02-09-2002, 02:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: O/T

Originally posted by MichaelAE

What kind of rims do you have?
They are MoMo sports. I like them a lot!
Old 02-09-2002, 04:50 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: O/T

They are MoMo sports. I like them a lot!
Good stuff...I've been trying to find a price on those. Also curious what they weigh. I was looking at getting 17"x8". What size are you running?
Old 02-09-2002, 05:32 PM

Re: BIG problem with transmission

As I was driving today, I speed up to pass a jeep and get over a lane. ( I drive an automatic) so I slow down so that I can make a right onto the highway. As I get ready to go I noticed that The transmission was acting up a little. well I go to turn out and my car wound go into 1st gear and and took forever to gain acceleration. So I left the car in the parking lot for 4 hours and then came back to pick it up. It isnt still doing the exact same things it was doing before but know I can hear it and feel it slipping gears. This is crazy! why the hell does nissan put such cheap transmissions into their cars?? I am so pis*ed. This gives me an even better reason for getting a 2k2 6speed. Hopefully the dealership doesnt give me any crap about it. I am mad!
THe transmission is the sole reason my car is slug. I have accepted it and moved on, Hey nice body kit, maybe one day i can own a kit!
Roger
Old 02-09-2002, 10:05 PM

yeah I have 17x8. but I dont really know how much the weigh. I think they are like 35-40 lbs per wheel with tire. Stillen is running a special on them, they are relly cheap.
Old 02-10-2002, 12:05 AM

TSB....that will fix it

the tranny just suck *** on the 2k-2k1 maximas. just fu*ked up

a light turns green...i give it gas...1st is still on...then i want to make a quick move...i give it like 1/2 a gas...the tranny just shifts into 2nd with this sorta hit and you felt it really bad. this **** will never happen on Audi...i don't know why Nissan screwd up on the tranny
Old 02-10-2002, 08:33 AM

Nissan Engineer:
OK boss we finished the engine, it was a long design time but we finished a few days before deadline, i think were ahead of schedule, its a great engine.

Chief Engineer:
Good just bring the transmission u designed along with it to the factory and we can put it together.

Nissan Engineer:
Transmission?......I knew we forgot something, i think we can just put a buncha gears and parts together overnight.
Old 02-13-2002, 10:31 PM

THATS THE DISCRPITION!! Mine started doing that exact samething.....acted up.....mysteriously went away......BUT......then it comes back a few thousand miles later.......you first notice it during a WOT getting on the highway.....get up to about 3600-4000rpm and things seem to not accelarate like they should, and you watch as the tach needle s-l-o-w-l-y works its way up the scale.......next week the car won't spin above 5,000rpm, it won't shift to the next gear either------then BAMB! Heeeeey, theres third!......At this point you have a few days below 3500rpm, of really nice smooth, quick shifts while the TCM tries to accomidate.......by the end of the week your like me.....nursin' it 50 miles away to a dealer who knows what they're doing