5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Sport Compact Car Mag. (Altima & MAX.)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2002, 02:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sport Compact Car Mag. (Altima & MAX.)

FYI from Sport Comopact Car Mag. (March 2002)

We don't get it. Nissan has made the new Altima bigger, faster and cheaper than it's current top-of-th line sports sedan the Maxima SE. That's right, faster, despite the Maxima's 20hp advantage and six-Speed transmission, The Altima is two-tenth quicker in the quarter mile. What's going on here?

Also the Altima costs considerably less and is near equal in interior volumes: its going to be hard for the two to survive simultaneously.

We're not entirely sure about the Maxima's future; perhaps the model has a date with Death, but we can say it's a competent performance sedan in its current state. It handles better that the altima in its SE Trim, thanks to stiffer springs, dampers and more roll stiffness. However we question whether the difference is enough to justify the additional $3000 Nissan is asking for the SE model - especially when you consider the Altima is quicker in a straight line.
Old 02-09-2002, 02:06 PM

I read that article. I think that driver of Sports Compact sucked at driveing the Max. I've seen better #s then what he posted. and his 1/4 # on the maxima is slower then the old VQ which was at 14.9 and 0-60 was 6.7 not 6.9 . Something's a miss here....
Old 02-09-2002, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by PIONEER
I read that article. I think that driver of Sports Compact sucked at driveing the Max.

Is it just me? After reading the article it seemed that SSC NEVER EVEN TESTED THE MAXIMA! Shieet! I don’t know how it escaped some people but it is obvious to me. Can someone else who actually saw the article vouch PLEASE for me with objective details because I just can't put it in words (But I will if I have to)
Old 02-09-2002, 04:52 PM

Haven't read the article, but having gone up against a new Altima to 140 mph in a 4th gen, I can say that the car has some pretty impressive straightline performance. I'd like to see them follow me through an off ramp though
Old 02-09-2002, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by KP117

Is it just me? After reading the article it seemed that SSC NEVER EVEN TESTED THE MAXIMA! Shieet! I don’t know how it escaped some people but it is obvious to me. Can someone else who actually saw the article vouch PLEASE for me with objective details because I just can't put it in words (But I will if I have to)
I haven't read the article, but you're not the first one I've heard make that observation/allegation.
Old 02-09-2002, 04:58 PM

I test drove both before deciding on the Max. The new Altima SE, albeit a nice car, didn't handle as well for me as the Max and didn't appear to have the jump off the line that the Max did. And, at the time that I bought mine, the Altima SE was $28K and the Maxima SE was $27. Strange, but true.

The Max was rated at 6.28 seconds from 0 - 60, as per Nissan. I don't remember what the Altima was rated at, but it wasn't 6.28 that's for sure.

All in all, Max's rule....
Old 02-09-2002, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by Creature

I haven't read the article, but you're not the first one I've heard make that observation/allegation.
Yes I'm just waiting for someone who read the article to see this thread and elaborate on why some people think this way (example: There was not a full report on the max as there was one with the Altima). The are many more points that can/should be made by a more articulate person (But I will if I have to)
Old 02-09-2002, 05:03 PM

MT tested the Alty at 0-60 6.28 and Motorweek somehow got 5.9 for it--when did Nissan say 6.28 for the Max?
Old 02-09-2002, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by Instingkt

The Max was rated at 6.28 seconds from 0 - 60, as per Nissan. I don't remember what the Altima was rated at, but it wasn't 6.28 that's for sure.
Yes I saw that advertisement in the magazine but the only thing is it was for the ALTIMA. It was from 0-60 at 6.28 sec in the AD as per motor trends December test drive, which can be seen in the small print at the bottom of the advertisement.
Old 02-09-2002, 05:09 PM

My bad. It was the Altima. DOH! I saw it in their brochure that they gave out at the Nissan dealership.

Said "Finally, something to pick on the Porsche Boxster" or words to that effect.

Sorry bout that.
Old 02-09-2002, 05:46 PM

Ok Guys, I have the Mag in My hand. Here are the #s from The Mag

ALTIMA -----------------------Maxima
200Hp/211TQ--------------------218Hp/230TQ
0-30 2.8----------------------0-30 3.0
0-60 6.7----------------------0-60 6.9
30-50 2.4----------------------30-50 2.4
50-70 3.5----------------------50-70 3.4
1/4mile 14.9@95.5-------------1/4mile 15.0@95.6

Slalom 66.4mph-----------------slalom 67.9Mph

60-0 Stopping 133ft------------60-0 Stopping 135ft

KP117, You are correct. They never tested the Maxima....
Old 02-09-2002, 05:56 PM

did the article actually say they didn't test the maxima?
Old 02-09-2002, 06:43 PM

ALTY VS MAX

The inside of the Altima is absolutely hideous, even with the leather package....the door panels are so CHEAP its unreal....there is no way in hell i would have picked the alty over my 2K2 MAX, i dont care if it does have an indpendent rear suspension....and i cant wait to line up against a 3.5 SE 5spd Alty with my 2K2 SE 6spd...like ive said before....there is a reason Nissan only calls one of them their "FLAGSHIP" MAXS rule!!! Thanks for the vent and dont mean to flame off any ALTY owners...JAKE02
Old 02-09-2002, 07:24 PM

All is said and heard, Alty's are no match against our beloved Max!
Old 02-09-2002, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by mattattax
Not on this article. But they also didn't state where they got their #z from. Maybe a prior road test. Also, The its says Maxima/Altima has Multi-Link beam, Anti-roll bar as rear suspension. Doesn't say the Altima has IRS.... Is that true?
Old 02-09-2002, 09:07 PM
EZ
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Not on this article. But they also didn't state where they got their #z from. Maybe a prior road test. Also, The its says Maxima/Altima has Multi-Link beam, Anti-roll bar as rear suspension. Doesn't say the Altima has IRS.... Is that true?
The Altima is based on a new chassis and has IRS. Even though it says the Max had better slalom, I bet that may be because it is tuned stiffer. The better chassis is definetly the new Altima (hence the Max adopting its chassis next year). I bet the Altima will have better tuning potential in the future too (in terms of suspension).

In real world tests though, it seems the Max has posted faster times. That must be because of the 20 hp advantage.
Old 02-09-2002, 09:47 PM

it's all BS
Old 02-09-2002, 09:52 PM

there are advantages to both cars. but I would have to say that there are more advantages to the MAX than there is to the alty. First of all, the SE is better handling. The car is smaller, which makes for better manuvering. The alty's interior is cheasy and cheap. The door panels are the cheapest i have ever seen in a car. So, MAX is the way to go!
Old 02-09-2002, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by KP117

FINALLY someone thought the samething as I did.. I really think that they didn't even test the max at all...
Old 02-09-2002, 11:59 PM

The altima has IRS....but the maxima has the advantage of a multi-link beam suspension which is better on a flat roads(highways i.e)
if the maxima was doing twistes on a bumpy road...the altima has the advantage here of an IRS...it will outhandle the max on a bumpy road. but again...the max has a better suspension afterall and isn't ugly and avalon looking as the altima
Old 02-10-2002, 12:31 AM
EZ

Originally posted by 2001SE

The altima has IRS....but the maxima has the advantage of a multi-link beam suspension which is better on a flat roads(highways i.e)
if the maxima was doing twistes on a bumpy road...the altima has the advantage here of an IRS...it will outhandle the max on a bumpy road. but again...the max has a better suspension afterall and isn't ugly and avalon looking as the altima
I don't think the Max has a better suspension. Afterall, they are going to the Altima suspension in a few years. The Alty suspension isn't just any IRS...it's derived from the previous gen skyline GTR (multilink). The max doesn't have heritage like that.
Old 02-10-2002, 06:04 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

this subject has been beat to death, SCC sucks, the max runs 14.3's. i raced an altima on the highway three times, v6 5-spd and i won. altima has ****ty interior. ect. ect.
Old 02-10-2002, 07:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Altima & Max

Sorry, brought it up. The Max is the only way to go. Alt. interior sucks.
Old 02-10-2002, 07:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Altima & Max.

The reason I post this article:

We're not entirely sure about the Maxima's future; perhaps the model has a date with Death
Old 02-10-2002, 08:40 AM

in real world the 6spd 2k2 is faster, on paper the 6spd 2k2 is faster, i wonder what SCC is doing wrong
Old 02-10-2002, 08:54 AM

put it this way they didnt test the car or told the guys to granny shift! i ran a 14.3 and just learned how to drive a manual tranny! those guys are BSing OH i accually emailed the guy about the MAXIMA challange and he replied:

Will,

The point of this thing is that we see the run ourselves. Time slips prove nothing. You're invited to bring your car to our test facility and make a pass. We contend that the new Maxima will not run a 14.3. Prove us wrong.

Josh Jacquot
SCC

that was after me telling him that i had the time slip and the run on video!!! dont see where he mentioned that videos dont prove anything!!! SCC sucks oh and here is a quote from him in another email i recieved "If we believed everything we're told we wouldn't be very good journalists would we? We aren't in the business of printing lies." HAHA new article proves that they print LIES!!! WOW i have lost all respect for SCC and am ashamed to say that i have a full year subscription!

will
Old 02-10-2002, 09:52 AM

Anyhow, this crapy mag is hurting our Max; why don't we start a e-mail chain letter or something to tell the world this is not true and how much this mag sucks.
Old 02-10-2002, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by WILLSE
put it this way they didnt test the car or told the guys to granny shift! i ran a 14.3 and just learned how to drive a manual tranny! those guys are BSing OH i accually emailed the guy about the MAXIMA challange and he replied:

Will,

The point of this thing is that we see the run ourselves. Time slips prove nothing. You're invited to bring your car to our test facility and make a pass. We contend that the new Maxima will not run a 14.3. Prove us wrong.

Josh Jacquot
SCC

that was after me telling him that i had the time slip and the run on video!!! dont see where he mentioned that videos dont prove anything!!! SCC sucks oh and here is a quote from him in another email i recieved "If we believed everything we're told we wouldn't be very good journalists would we? We aren't in the business of printing lies." HAHA new article proves that they print LIES!!! WOW i have lost all respect for SCC and am ashamed to say that i have a full year subscription!

will
SCC is written for the riceboys
Old 02-10-2002, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by mattattax

Basically, the ALLEGED road test for the max was not even in the table of contents!!! And the only reference to the max was on the LAST page of the Altima road test and the came in the form of raw #'s and not a comprehensive test like the one taht was done on the Altima. Also it could not be from a previous road test because the 2k2 max is not in ANY of the last 10 issues. So all in all the numbers must of been fabricated.
Old 02-11-2002, 08:33 AM

If all you guys are so ****ed about this, why don't you put your money where your mouth is and do a run for SCC? They've already issued a public challenge for someone to come out and run a 14.3 for them, but no one will take them up on it.

In liew of re-reading this entire post, I'll make the offer more official. Anyone who wants a shot at running the elusive 14.3 and being recognized for it in SCC, should email me directly...joshj@mcmullenargus.com. Maybe we can run a news piece about this whole mess if somebody does the impossible. If not, we'll simply say what happened.

Head the email with "Maxima" in the subject field and I'll get back to you with details.

Perhaps those of you who read this post initially can pass the word around on other threads.

Josh Jacquot
SCC
http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthr...5&pagenumber=4
Old 02-11-2002, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by Afty
If all you guys are so ****ed about this, why don't you put your money where your mouth is and do a run for SCC? They've already issued a public challenge for someone to come out and run a 14.3 for them, but no one will take them up on it.

http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthr...5&pagenumber=4
so this means you're gonna pay for thr flight, hotel, food and stuff right? put your money where your mouth is and pay for the expenses it would take to "take them up on it"--SCC can print what they want but they'll get no respect from those who know better (most people here and even at ClubSi)
Old 02-11-2002, 01:58 PM

Re: ALTY VS MAX

Took my 2k2 SE in for service and was given a 2k2 Alty as a loaner. Initial impression was, why did I pay more for my Max. The Alty felt larger and seemed to share several components. However, after driving it a while, I started to dislike it. It rides higher than the Max, and is uncomfortable. The door pannels were cheap, and overall it didn't feel as nice as the Max. No offense to Alty owners, just my $.02.
Old 02-11-2002, 03:05 PM

Amen to that. That's all I see is Rice $hit on the cover...

I would be more ashamed to read that in public that Playboy

Originally posted by iwannabmw

SCC is written for the riceboys
Old 02-11-2002, 03:27 PM

The Max is a good car, but its on its last legs. The Altima is a newer design with better suspension and faster. The next generation max will be at a higher level than the current Max. The bottom line is that testing both cars under the same conditions and the Altima wins. Maybe the Max can run a 14.3 Quarter, but under the same conditions the Altima will will still be quicker. Thats the way it is. In a few years when the Altima is at the end of its design life, newer and less expensive models may be better than the Altima just like the Altima is better than the Maxima now. Sorry guys the Maxima has seen its better days.
Old 02-11-2002, 03:35 PM

It's really a matter of opinion - Personally, I dread the Altima's interior design. It just looks cheap and devoid of substance...The Maxima wins interior hands down. Personally, I also think that the Maxima's exterior looks better-save for the dual exhaust. I would buy a Maxima in a heartbeat over the Altima.

Besides, those premiums that some dealers are charging makes the Altima's actually more expensive.

Trevor

Originally posted by adaptabl
The Max is a good car, but its on its last legs. The Altima is a newer design with better suspension and faster. The next generation max will be at a higher level than the current Max. The bottom line is that testing both cars under the same conditions and the Altima wins. Maybe the Max can run a 14.3 Quarter, but under the same conditions the Altima will will still be quicker. Thats the way it is. In a few years when the Altima is at the end of its design life, newer and less expensive models may be better than the Altima just like the Altima is better than the Maxima now. Sorry guys the Maxima has seen its better days.
Old 02-11-2002, 03:36 PM

Opinions are like...well, you know.

Either way...real time slips reflect stock Maximas running 14.3's...show me a time slip reflecting a stock Altima running a 14.3 under any conditions and you might be just a little bit more respected in your opinion.
Old 02-11-2002, 03:38 PM
PhatGuy

This post is funny! How is the altima faster if the stock Maxima can run 1/4 in 14.3? Can you explain in detail? There is a member on here dmbmaxima who raced a 5spd 2k2 altima (bigtetto? from altimas.net) and the maxima clearly won. It was also a very high speed run 120mph+. Again please explain how the Altima is faster? If you own an Altima please post up your timeslip as well to prove how much faster it is to all of us including yourself.

Thanks!

Old 02-11-2002, 04:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I also emailed an inquiry concerning the SSC challenge. I was all ready to drive up to Orange county when Josh wrote this back to me:

"I think the Maxima is likely capable of a 14.6 or 14.7 second time in
perfect conditions. But a 14.3 seems highly unlikely. If you'd like to give
it a shot in front of our test equipment you're invited. In fact, this could
happen as early as next week. Let me know if you're interested."

This quote was in reference to a STOCK 2002 Maxima. I declined because I seriously doubt anyone could hit 14.3 without the mods.

Disagree? Please prove it and I might reconsider.

-Left
Old 02-11-2002, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by Trev_Daddy
Amen to that. That's all I see is Rice $hit on the cover...

I would be more ashamed to read that in public that Playboy

Can we avoid using "rice" to describe things here in the 5g forum...I've seen more rice violations on this board than I've seen on ClubSi.com. Let's keep the "kettle calling the pot black" type statements to a minimum.

About SCC being a crappy mag... yes. Some of their earlier tech articles were interesting, but they have gone down hill. But, ALL the popular "import" magazines have. The only good magazine is Grassroots Motorsports and Car.
Old 02-11-2002, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by LeftCoast
I also emailed an inquiry concerning the SSC challenge. I was all ready to drive up to Orange county when Josh wrote this back to me:

"I think the Maxima is likely capable of a 14.6 or 14.7 second time in
perfect conditions. But a 14.3 seems highly unlikely. If you'd like to give
it a shot in front of our test equipment you're invited. In fact, this could
happen as early as next week. Let me know if you're interested."

This quote was in reference to a STOCK 2002 Maxima. I declined because I seriously doubt anyone could hit 14.3 without the mods.

Disagree? Please prove it and I might reconsider.

-Left
We have two members with stock Maximas running 14.3. I don't think either of them are still stock, but I could be wrong. That's WILLSE and dmbmaxima88 or whatever Steve's handle is.

It's "pot calling the kettle black"

Quick Reply: Sport Compact Car Mag. (Altima & MAX.)