5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

$59 FSTB fits on 2k2 (Photo's inside)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2002, 03:45 PM
Very sound, Mike

$59 FSTB fits on 2k2 (Photo's inside)

I tested this out for the seller who promised to give better prices (e.g. lower than Ebay prices) if it fit the 2k2 without modifications.

Well, it fit alright! In fact it looks just like the "Trust" bar sold previously on EBay. Also looks a bit like the Courtesy bar except it has black endplates.

The install was fairly easy, no need to cut or bang on anything. I installed the endplates first then the bar. The plate bolts were also torqued to 35lb.

You'll see on the photo's that the clearance on the manifold is pretty good. However i did move the bar slightly forward. Otherwise it would just barely clear it (As Emax95 previously ascertained).

Here's one thing i noticed though, i test drove it after the install, and the front end of the car squeaks , did i do something wrong?

Also, i tried backing up and hit the gas at around 1/5 throttle when i heard this weird sound in the front. Could it be the manifold hitting the bar? I tried a visual inspection after that but nothing seems to have looked like it just hit something.

Photo's can be seen here
Old 02-09-2002, 04:02 PM

Do some more driving then take the bar off to see if there are any marks on the bar. If so, the you can isolate what was hitting the bar.
Old 02-09-2002, 04:04 PM
Very sound, Mike

I'll try that out later. Won't i hurt anything in there? Hope not.

I'm thinking perhaps i overtightened the bar itself (not the shock nuts). If i recall correctly Emax95 mentioned something about loosening something a bit.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Originally posted by Joe_R
Do some more driving then take the bar off to see if there are any marks on the bar. If so, the you can isolate what was hitting the bar.
Old 02-09-2002, 04:21 PM

Does that bar help you get better handling? What improvemnet will you see?
Old 02-09-2002, 04:26 PM
Very sound, Mike

Well i drove it for a little while after i installed it and the steering response is definitely crisper. I've always been the one to say "must be psychological" but this definitely isn't one.

Crisper, tighter, better.

I'll be driving it more tonight and tomorrow to see if the creaks go away and to follow Joe's suggestion.

Originally posted by jsohn
Does that bar help you get better handling? What improvemnet will you see?
Old 02-09-2002, 04:36 PM

Yep, that's how mine looks

I got the same bar from Ebay and I installed it Friday night on my 2K1. I don't notice any squeaking but clearance is tight when the hood is closed. I'm happy with the bar so far and it looks good. I paid 66.00 so you got a good deal on the bar. I may try to tilt the bar forward a little to help with clearance.
Old 02-09-2002, 04:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by soundmike
I'll try that out later. Won't i hurt anything in there? Hope not.

I'm thinking perhaps i overtightened the bar itself (not the shock nuts). If i recall correctly Emax95 mentioned something about loosening something a bit.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Clearance is real hard to tell in those pics but your bar does look a little closer to the intake runner then mine. The designe of that bar looks identical to the courtesy bar. When I first installed my bar the clearance was under 1mm(not enough) and the bar banged my intake runner and made a really anoying brrr sound. Try loosening the bar up about 2 or 3 turns and place that bar in place to see if it made any difference, if it did put the ST bolts back on. When you put your car in reverse it may cause the engine to lean backwards and rub against your bar thus making the bangind sounds. Tell me more about the squeek sounds, like when it squeeks and how loud it is.
Old 02-09-2002, 04:56 PM
Very sound, Mike

yep. got a good deal alright. didn't even have to pay for shipping coz i promised to report back to the seller the results of the install he also agreed on a group deal for a lower price.

---
Ethan, kindly look at this and this, i did tilt the bar a bit forward to give it more clearance as otherwise it would it the intake (refer to first photo).

I made a reverse run and it did sound like a brrr... inaudible on a slow run but was very obvious when i backed out at roughly 10mph.

When you say loose the bar up 2-3 turns. Are you talking about the upper nut on this picture or the lower nut (which attaches it to the endplates).

I'm going out for a drive now, will get back to you on the squeaks.

Thanks again!
Old 02-09-2002, 05:36 PM

RSTB NOW!!

anyone know who makes RSTB for the 2k maxima. OTHER THAN STEALIN!!!(stillen,)?
ROger
Old 02-09-2002, 05:45 PM

Re: RSTB NOW!!

Originally posted by radpp16
anyone know who makes RSTB for the 2k maxima. OTHER THAN STEALIN!!!(stillen,)?
ROger
Your best bet is the Addco

http://www.custommaxima.com/AddcoRearSwayBar.html
Old 02-09-2002, 06:29 PM

Let's Clarify...

Did you mean RSTB or RSB?

Different bars, different results. Hopefully you meant RSB, Rear Sway Bar, because it costs less and does a lot more than RSTB, Rear Strut Tower Brace.

All of this is from what I've heard, but I've heard it more than a few times in the last 18 months or so...

If you meant RSB, follow jkratzer's link or try custommaxima.com to get it for $115 shipped. If you meant RSTB, you might try Courtesyparts.com, but then again, you should re-think that decision.
Old 02-09-2002, 07:33 PM

yep. got a good deal alright. didn't even have to pay for shipping coz i promised to report back to the seller the results of the install he also agreed on a group deal for a lower price.

---
Ethan, kindly look at this and this, i did tilt the bar a bit forward to give it more clearance as otherwise it would it the intake (refer to first photo).

I made a reverse run and it did sound like a brrr... inaudible on a slow run but was very obvious when i backed out at roughly 10mph.

When you say loose the bar up 2-3 turns. Are you talking about the upper nut on this picture or the lower nut (which attaches it to the endplates).

I'm going out for a drive now, will get back to you on the squeaks.

Thanks again!
I did not tilt my FSTB at all, it's on nice and flat like it's degisned to be. When I say try loosening it up 2-3 turns I mean un-bolt the bar from the Strut tower and turn the clamp(s) counter cloke wise 2 to 3 full rotations. When you loosen the bar up it makes it a little longer and the clearance is increased.
Old 02-09-2002, 07:48 PM

Re: Let's Clarify...

Yeah i got the RSB already, i was talking about the REAR STRUT TOWER BRACE

Roger
Old 02-09-2002, 08:02 PM

Probably good to make sure you tighten on a nice flat surface too.
Old 02-09-2002, 08:25 PM
Very sound, Mike

Okay, just did a few miles testing this thing. It's awesome to say the least

Anyway, i had it make a sound... sort of whirring and grinding (tho not the gear grinding kind of sound... more like metal-metal contact) on the following situations:

1) Starting the engine with brakes pressed. Once i let go and reapplied pressure of the brakes the sound was gone (happened only once)

2) Backing up, letting it back up by itself is ok. It's the moment i press on the gas that the sound comes back.

Otherwise it's all cool.

Btw, i did install it on level ground. Even double checked with a bubble level to be sure.

I'll try loosening it up tomorrow to see how it affects it.
Old 02-09-2002, 08:45 PM

Okay, just did a few miles testing this thing. It's awesome to say the least

Anyway, i had it make a sound... sort of whirring and grinding (tho not the gear grinding kind of sound... more like metal-metal contact) on the following situations:

1) Starting the engine with brakes pressed. Once i let go and reapplied pressure of the brakes the sound was gone (happened only once)

2) Backing up, letting it back up by itself is ok. It's the moment i press on the gas that the sound comes back.

Otherwise it's all cool.

Btw, i did install it on level ground. Even double checked with a bubble level to be sure.

I'll try loosening it up tomorrow to see how it affects it.
Sounds like when you rev your engine the motor moves and banges the bar, just do what I said and you should be allright.
Old 02-09-2002, 09:26 PM
Very sound, Mike

Only when it revs in reverse. I tried letting my gf rev it to 5k in neutral while i looked at the engine. Didn't hit it at all.

I'll still try your suggestion tomorrow though. Thanks!

Originally posted by emax95

Sounds like when you rev your engine the motor moves and banges the bar, just do what I said and you should be allright.
Old 02-09-2002, 09:31 PM

Only when it revs in reverse. I tried letting my gf rev it to 5k in neutral while i looked at the engine. Didn't hit it at all.

I'll still try your suggestion tomorrow though. Thanks!

When the motor is reved in gear the motor moves a lot more then when it's reved in park. When you rev it in reverse the motor will probably move differently then when it's reved in a forward motion.
Old 02-09-2002, 11:07 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

this may be a longshot but maybe the ac hardline bracket is rubbing the FTSB mounting bracket on the passenger side? from one of your pics it looks extremely close.
Old 02-10-2002, 04:51 AM

I just went out to look at my Courtesy FSTB and I have a bit more clearance on the manifold and maybe 3/8" on the left end by the AC line. I rotated the bar toward the rear of the car for hood clearance. It is not level but looks to be slimmer than yours. No noises, but have not tried the agressive reverse test.
I will take pictures if you would like.
Old 02-10-2002, 11:12 AM
Very sound, Mike

ethan, i'll try setting up a cam up there while i do a reverse run to see what hits what. will update the gang if i can achieve it. i'm thinking that perhaps since i tilted it forward it may be hitting the manifold once i do a reverse run.

smooth Op, yep it's pretty close tho that's a rubberized thing that it's almost hitting. it's still a possibility but after closer inspection it doesn't look like it really hit anything in that area. i'll still check it out nevertheless.

see5, would you please? a close-up picture of the manifold area and the ac hardline area would be of great help. that way i can try tweaking the fit to see if i can achieve the same results.

even if i kept it un-tilted the bar still seems to be clearing the hood, closing the hood is not the least bit harder w/o the fstb at all. the only reason i tilted it forward was to clear the manifold a bit more.
Old 02-10-2002, 01:12 PM
Very sound, Mike

Ethan, i was able to take video's of the engine revving in 4th gear (brake torquing) and in reverse.

You were right about the engine moving in different directions. In reverse gear the engine moves forward and that's when the manifold hit the bar. In a forward run the engine moves backward and there seems to be a good amount of clearance there...

Here's my question, will the engine move farther (to the point it hits the bar again) when it's revved up high close to the redline or does it only go so far?

I can post up the vids if you want to see it.

- Mike
Old 02-10-2002, 04:32 PM

Ethan, i was able to take video's of the engine revving in 4th gear (brake torquing) and in reverse.

You were right about the engine moving in different directions. In reverse gear the engine moves forward and that's when the manifold hit the bar. In a forward run the engine moves backward and there seems to be a good amount of clearance there...

Here's my question, will the engine move farther (to the point it hits the bar again) when it's revved up high close to the redline or does it only go so far?

I can post up the vids if you want to see it.

- Mike
The engine will only move so far, it's the initial jolt of you hitting the gas the causes the engine to lean. I don't think the engine would move any more at WOT then what it does at 4K RPM. Did you try looseing up the bar like I suggested? If that does not work put a washer under each nut, that way the whole bar will be raised 1mm or so. BTW how did you set a camers up under your car? that's sounds pretty cool.
Old 02-10-2002, 04:55 PM
Very sound, Mike

That's good to know, i was just a bit concerned because that jolt you mentioned seems to keep it's position until i ease off the throttle.

I also loosened the bar up as you suggested and i was able to get a bit more clearance from the manifold. Also straightened it out to it's normal position.

Damn, looking at the video's before i adjusted it scared me... it hit to the point that it actually dragged the bar with it!

As for the camera, i put it outside the bay on a tripod. Given i did brake torque instead of actually run it wasn't such a big deal. I initially could do it under the hood but then i'd have to deal with how to lighten up the whole bay with the hood closed.

I'll see if i can upload the video's later.

Originally posted by emax95

The engine will only move so far, it's the initial jolt of you hitting the gas the causes the engine to lean. I don't think the engine would move any more at WOT then what it does at 4K RPM. Did you try looseing up the bar like I suggested? If that does not work put a washer under each nut, that way the whole bar will be raised 1mm or so. BTW how did you set a camers up under your car? that's sounds pretty cool.
Old 02-20-2002, 07:42 PM

I installed Stillen FSTB on my 2002 Maxima

And it fit perfect with no problems. I don't hear any sounds. I have been driving with it for a week now.

This FSTB was from my 2000 Maxima. Somebody here told me that it doesn't fit on 2002 Maxima. It did on mine with no problems.
Old 02-20-2002, 08:06 PM

Soundmike,
Do you know when the seller is gonna setup a groupbuy? thx

And one more question, what kind of effect does it have when FSTB banging against stuff under the hood?
Old 02-20-2002, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by tapwr3000
Soundmike,
Do you know when the seller is gonna setup a groupbuy? thx

And one more question, what kind of effect does it have when FSTB banging against stuff under the hood?
Check out the "Group Deals", Soundmike has already set one up and it's almost done.
Old 02-21-2002, 05:00 AM

Re: Yep, that's how mine looks

Originally posted by jkratzer
I got the same bar from Ebay and I installed it Friday night on my 2K1. I don't notice any squeaking but clearance is tight when the hood is closed. I'm happy with the bar so far and it looks good. I paid 66.00 so you got a good deal on the bar. I may try to tilt the bar forward a little to help with clearance.
How did the install go? Did you have to really squeeze the bar in? Move anything around? Do your windshield washer still work?
I got in on the group deal, but, everytime I look at the engine bay of my 2001, I think to myself "There's no damn way it's gonna fit."
Old 02-21-2002, 07:32 AM
Very sound, Mike

Re: Re: Yep, that's how mine looks

I didn't have to relocate or tap anything. I just took the nuts on the strut off. Placed the endplates, put back the nuts, put the bar on. tightened the bar then tightened the endplates.

Aside from my initial install where i tilted it (no-no!) the placement is fine. And yep, my washer still works.

My guess is, if it fits on the 2k2 (which hardly has any clearance) then it should fit the 2k1.

Originally posted by Thorzdad

How did the install go? Did you have to really squeeze the bar in? Move anything around? Do your windshield washer still work?
I got in on the group deal, but, everytime I look at the engine bay of my 2001, I think to myself "There's no damn way it's gonna fit."