5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Nobody testing 2k2 Max

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2002, 07:25 AM

Nobody testing 2k2 Max

Hey guys,

Why is it that no one is testing the 2k2 Max? Every month I get my various car mags and flip through them quickly to see if there is anything on the Max, and nada.

There were a few short "first-look" articles before the car came out, but that was it.

Its almost as if Nissan is holding the car back from the mags to keep the spotlight on the Alty.
Old 02-10-2002, 08:39 AM

I think Nissan is purposely trying to play up the Altima at the expense of the Maxima. Maybe they'll try to further distance the two when the Max gets redesigned. Let's hope the Max doesn't become an overweight pig.
Old 02-10-2002, 09:05 AM

or some people think that Nissan doesnt want any non-HLSD 6 speeds to be tested and since they are just getting to the US, maybe thats why there arent any tests being done yet. i think it may be the Altima reason though.
Old 02-10-2002, 12:55 PM

Re: Nobody testing 2k2 Max

Don't even pull up to me with me if you got that ugly altima... i will smoke you even with my slipping tranny. Had to vent.
Roger
Old 02-10-2002, 01:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hopefully nissan will add their statement to "when pigs fly"
Originally posted by Eric99SE-L
I think Nissan is purposely trying to play up the Altima at the expense of the Maxima. Maybe they'll try to further distance the two when the Max gets redesigned. Let's hope the Max doesn't become an overweight pig.
Old 02-10-2002, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by Newman96SE
[B]Nissan doesnt want any non-HLSD 6 speeds to be tested and since they are just getting to the US, B]
Yes you are exactly correct
Old 02-10-2002, 03:04 PM

The most likely reason, at least according to Car and Driver, is sthat they do not review cars that do not undergo a significant change from one model year to the next. So for example, the Maxima warranted a review when Nissan switched from the 4th Gen to the 5th Gen and similarly, the Altima recieved reviews when it moved from the last gen to the current Gen. Don't worry, Max will probably be reviewd once the 6th Gen's come out.
Old 02-10-2002, 03:39 PM

Review on Edmunds.com

There is supposed to be a review of the 2K2 6spd on edmunds.com early March. They are relatively objective, except when it come to BMWs.
Old 02-10-2002, 04:27 PM

So do we all think the altima looks like a fat pig because It does remind me of a fat pig now that I think of it, but it is one fast pig though.
Old 02-10-2002, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by perrymaxima
So do we all think the altima looks like a fat pig because It does remind me of a fat pig now that I think of it, but it is one fast pig though.
maybe it just me.. but the alty reminds me of a toyota echo/prius
Old 02-10-2002, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by 20 MAXIMA 02

maybe it just me.. but the alty reminds me of a toyota echo/prius
from the side yes, but to me the front end looks a lot like the Mazda MPV minivan from a distance I can't tell which I which
Old 02-10-2002, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by perrymaxima

from the side yes, but to me the front end looks a lot like the Mazda MPV minivan from a distance I can't tell which I which
Altima

MPV
Old 02-10-2002, 06:02 PM

Well, Nissan might be doing even better than they expected in covering up the Maxima to put spotlight on the Altima. Just saw Route 22 Nissan's last month sale numbers( They lead the 80 or so Nissan dealerships in the NY/NJ area in cars sold) and they did 21 Maxima's and 73 Altima's so looks like everything is going to plan.
Old 02-10-2002, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by NYC GXE
Well, Nissan might be doing even better than they expected in covering up the Maxima to put spotlight on the Altima. Just saw Route 22 Nissan's last month sale numbers( They lead the 80 or so Nissan dealerships in the NY/NJ area in cars sold) and they did 21 Maxima's and 73 Altima's so looks like everything is going to plan.
You have to consider the fact that the altimas come in cheapo versions as well (2.5 liter)... This is one of the reasons why camry easily outsells Maximas... (they sell 4 bangers under the same name)..

Altima outselling the Maxima should be expected.. I want to see some numbers on sales of 3.5 SE altimas vs. maximas...

-Tom Z.
Old 02-10-2002, 08:51 PM

hey talking bout route 22 nissan

Originally posted by NYC GXE
How is the service dept over there? Will they give me crap over getting this tranny TSB, its been verified, i have slippage, but i just gotta go somewhere unlike my dealer where they wont give me crap, or else i will just start kicking everybody, i dont do punches, just blocks. drop me an email if you got info
Roger
Old 02-10-2002, 08:51 PM

I own a 2k and a 2k2 and I would argue that there is a substantial change. 2k vs 2k1 AE I would understand, but with all the improvements in the 2k2 I think it definitely deserving of a full test.

I seem to remember when Acura fist came out with the Type S for the TL that there were several road tests, and all that was a more powerful motor.

I really think that it boils down to the fact that Nissan spent a bunch of money on the new Alty and they're just not sending out 2k2 Max's for review at the mags.

Originally posted by NJ_MAX2000
The most likely reason, at least according to Car and Driver, is sthat they do not review cars that do not undergo a significant change from one model year to the next. So for example, the Maxima warranted a review when Nissan switched from the 4th Gen to the 5th Gen and similarly, the Altima recieved reviews when it moved from the last gen to the current Gen. Don't worry, Max will probably be reviewd once the 6th Gen's come out.
Old 02-10-2002, 08:56 PM

Re: hey talking bout route 22 nissan

Originally posted by radpp16

How is the service dept over there? Will they give me crap over getting this tranny TSB, its been verified, i have slippage, but i just gotta go somewhere unlike my dealer where they wont give me crap, or else i will just start kicking everybody, i dont do punches, just blocks. drop me an email if you got info
Roger

I've had a serious aversion to them ever since I went their to look at cars (maximas), and their salesman knew next to nothing about the car... They are also the ones that run the shifty "one at this price" ads in the Star Ledger... Always selling that one demo maxima for like 17 grand, but they just can't seem to ever get rid of it... hmm....

-Tom Z.
Old 02-10-2002, 10:21 PM

LOL I SAW ONE TEST.... SPORT COMPACT CAR GOT THE MAXIMA SE 6SPEED TO RUN 15.0, I dont know who drove, I think the editor was on crack that day. They probably loaded 5 passengers in the car then ran it, we all know SCC pampers hondas, they give civics and tegs rolling 1/4 mile starts and they run the nissans up hill.
Old 02-10-2002, 10:31 PM

Roger
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would try to avoid any Nissan service department if possible but since you ask, I havent dealt with the service department down there but based on what I saw in the dealership: My guess is they will probably treat you very nicely but usually NJ dealers charge even more than NY dealers because they dont expect as much of a haggle over the final labor fee.

I will say that I've had pretty pleasant experiences with the Queens Nissan service department. The shop is pretty small and they are kind of old fashioned (They calculated all the labor fees according to a Nissan guide book that looked like it was about 10 years old.)
For anyone that knows 3rd gens, I upgraded my broken/fragile exhaust manifold studs and they did 6 in the front and the 6 in the back. The total was $400 including everything, I've never seen a job like that go for less than a $1000, thats including private mechanics. I also had a 12m/12k warranty. They spent about a day and a half of labor on my car. I also did a full tranny flush over there (13 quarts in and out) for $80. Just letting you guys know that they have been relatively pleasant to deal with.

<<I've had a serious aversion to them ever since I went their to look at cars (maximas), and their salesman knew next to nothing about the car... They are also the ones that run the shifty "one at this price" ads in the Star Ledger... Always selling that one demo maxima for like 17 grand, but they just can't seem to ever get rid of it... hmm.... >>

That is exactly how they do it. The salesman even gave me a run around of how that particular car has to exist by law because they do state the vin number in the ad. However, if they do get me that car ("Assuming ofcourse nobody bought it"), basically I should expect scratches, no floor mats, missing ashtrays. In other words, they have you by the throat since its that one particular car that is being sold "as is".
Old 02-11-2002, 06:50 AM

Originally posted by NJ_MAX2000
according to Car and Driver, is that they do not review cars that do not undergo a significant change from one model year to the next. Max will probably be reviewd once the 6th Gen's come out.
I think this methodology only applies to their TEN BEST CARS list in addition including repeat winners in the eligibility equation; moreover the 2002 Maxima WAS on the list for this years candidates for TEN BEST CARS by car and driver due in part to the new engine and transmission. So maybe we can look forward to a road test when the HLSD's arrive
Old 02-11-2002, 07:43 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I think it's VERY odd that Motor Trend hasn't tested the new 6 speed. Usually when something like a signficant change in engine performance or tranny is brought into the market, MT will test it ASAP. They tested the SS Camaro, TL-S, Civic Si, etc well before they were introduced to the market. I think it's safe to say that Nissan wants to keep the spotlight on the Altima. I also think Nissan is very worried about the performance of the Maxima vs the Altima. If the Maxima proves to be slower than the Altima, it's sales wil be hurt even more. I'm pretty certain Nissan wants the mags to test the HLSD Maximas because even if the Max is equal or slower to the Altima, the mags wil most likely drool over the HLSD in a hi-po FWD sporty sedan.

I'm guessing MT will have comparison between the CL-S 6 speed and Maxima 6 speed very shortly. I'm gonna say MT will get a 14.7@96mph out of the 6 speed Max. The funny thing is MT has already driven a 6 speed, but weren't allowed to time it. They said the new found torque was great, but it didn't have the "legs" of the TL-S/CL-S.

Dave