5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Heated steering wheel question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2002, 10:01 AM
Jet

Heated steering wheel question.

I have a 2k2 max and in the manual it says that the heated steering wheel is supposed to stay on for 30 minutes. My wheel gets hot for about 8 - 12 minutes then shuts off. The light indicator stays on for the 30 min period. If I want it to come back on I need to shut if off manually and let it sit in the off position for 20 - 30 min. and then turn it back on. Once it's on and working, again the heat shuts off in 8 - 10 min. Is this normal?

Thanks for your help
Jet.
2k2 max

Old 02-15-2002, 10:24 AM
swallac2

Mine does the same thing, and I have heard others say the same thing.

Old 02-15-2002, 11:40 AM

shut off for steering wheel heat

How do you "manually" shut off the steering wheel heating? It seems like you have to turn the car off.

Also my experience has been that the heat shuts off after about 10 minutes but will then starts alternative for about 5 minutes off and 5 minutes on. I've never had it on for a 30 minute or more drive.
Old 02-15-2002, 12:14 PM
Jet

Re: shut off for steering wheel heat

You just press the button that turns on the heated steering wheel to shut it off. My wheel does not alternate heating sequences at all. It goes on initially and after 10 min, it's done.

Jet.

Old 02-15-2002, 12:23 PM

mine does the same....i think nissan doesn't want our hands melting........or doesn't want the thing that heats the steering wheel to start on fire... ......i like it the way it is now...
Old 02-15-2002, 12:36 PM

Re: Heated steering wheel question.

Originally posted by Jet
I have a 2k2 max and in the manual it says that the heated steering wheel is supposed to stay on for 30 minutes. My wheel gets hot for about 8 - 12 minutes then shuts off. The light indicator stays on for the 30 min period. If I want it to come back on I need to shut if off manually and let it sit in the off position for 20 - 30 min. and then turn it back on. Once it's on and working, again the heat shuts off in 8 - 10 min. Is this normal?

Thanks for your help
Jet.
2k2 max
It's normal. The light indicator stays on because it has a 30 min. cycle. However, there's a heat sensor inside the steering wheel. First it detects the temp., than senses that it does not need the heater anymore, so it shuts it off. The light stays on standby, should the temp drop below a certain level.

It work the same on my last car...... which wasn't a Max...
Old 02-15-2002, 01:45 PM

I actually took mine into the dealer for this because mine only stays on for 3-4 minutes. They played with it for a day and ended up calling tech support. They confirmed that the manual was incorrect about the 30 minutes, and it was only a few minutes until the wheel reaches a certain temp. After it shuts off, you have to turn the ignition off to re-set it.
Old 02-15-2002, 02:18 PM

Re: Re: shut off for steering wheel heat

Originally posted by Jet
You just press the button that turns on the heated steering wheel to shut it off. My wheel does not alternate heating sequences at all. It goes on initially and after 10 min, it's done.

Jet.
My switch is a momentary rocker type so there is no way to shut it off. Perhaps the switch has changed over the years.
Old 02-15-2002, 08:45 PM

this is a solution:

take your pink slip, come to connecticut, and we switch cars. Now you will have a 2k with no steering wheel heating and no problems. Simple solution...problem solved
Old 02-15-2002, 10:47 PM

Re: Heated steering wheel question.

Dam i wish my steering wheel did that... i have to put my hands on the motor, then start driving.
Roger
Old 02-17-2002, 05:54 AM

Re: Re: Heated steering wheel question.

Originally posted by radpp16
i have to put my hands on the motor, then start driving.
Roger
Old 02-17-2002, 06:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by bimmersnomore
I actually took mine into the dealer for this because mine only stays on for 3-4 minutes. They played with it for a day and ended up calling tech support. They confirmed that the manual was incorrect about the 30 minutes, and it was only a few minutes until the wheel reaches a certain temp. After it shuts off, you have to turn the ignition off to re-set it.
I think I would question Nissan's tech support on this one. My car does exactly what the manual says:

"Push the heated steering switch to warm the steering wheel after the engine starts.

The indicator lights will come on. (akrus note: not sure what they mean by 'lights', the only light to come on in my car is the one found on the rocker switch)

Push the switch again to turn the heated steering off.

It will automatically turn off in approximately 30 minutes."

The manual doesn't say anything about the wheel cycling power during the 30 minute period, so I'm not sure what the tech meant by 'the manual's wrong'. My car does cycle just as the seats do. Mind you I find myself turning both the seat and wheel heat off after about 10-15 minutes, because I find everything to be plenty warm by then. This winter hasn't been that cold at all, so maybe next year will be different.

I went to the driving range with the president of my company the other week and we took my car. As we're driving along, he says "You know, Nissan really pulled one over on Mercedes." I reply "How so?". He says "You've got that heated wheel and Mercedes doesn't have one, they really should get on that. The more I think about it, the more I want one in my car" BTW, his car is a 2k1 S500. My solution to him was that I'm willing to make an even trade (sorry Maxima, but that Benz is sweeeeeet) I'm still waiting for his reply.

Albert
Old 11-03-2003, 09:46 AM
jreddington

Had the same "problem?" with my wheel. When you first turn it on it gets really warm, almost too warm, for about five minutes and then shuts totally off. I suspected that there was a regulator on the system that wasn't working right and a backup thermostat was tripping it off.

The rocker switch light does stay on for the full 30 minutes. However, if you turn it back on again after that, minutes or hours later, you still don't get another round of heat.

Had my dealer here check the steering wheel while I had it in for an oil change. He says it's working normally.

Still doesn't make sense. I would expect that the system would do an initial quick high warm-up but then it should settle down and provide steady heat for the rest of the time. I don't even know why they limit it to 30 minutes but at least that follows what is in my owner's manual.

Old 11-03-2003, 10:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hm, can't say steering wheel heaters would be of much use... steering wheel COOLERS, on the other hand... they'd be nice in the summer
Old 11-03-2003, 10:26 AM

Mine takes at most five mins to heat up, and it get very warm, then alternates off/on cycles...I don't really know whether it totally turns off after an hour...
Old 01-18-2004, 10:29 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

I have searched on this topic, but have not really seen any answers to my question. Does anyone know if you can swap out a heated steering wheel from the Meridian Edition to a non verison?
Old 01-19-2004, 03:24 AM

I think it's fine the way it is. It heats up quickly, gets really hot, then turns off for awhile. It eventually comes back on and cycles like that...
Old 01-19-2004, 03:28 AM

steering wheel heaters... hehe... how about a crotch scratcher?
Old 01-19-2004, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by bimmersnomore

I think that is incorrect. If you start you car on a cold day and turn on the steering wheel heater the wheel will get warm. If you either dont turn on your heater or set the temp very low on your heater (62 degrees or so) you will see your wheel start to heat up again in that 30 minute period. It will cycle based on the temp in the car. If you get the inside temp of your car to 72 degrees the wheel will not come on at all. Now i Don't mean if the car is cold and you set the temp control to 72 i mean when the car actually reaches that temp.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:51 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by ajahearn
My switch is a momentary rocker type so there is no way to shut it off. Perhaps the switch has changed over the years.
if it "rocks on" then it "rocks off"

mine heats up and stays hot for about 5 minutes then starts cooling, but it does reheat after some amount of time...it's just hard to tell because your hands are already warm.

your wheel heater is working correctly.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by akrus
I went to the driving range with the president of my company the other week and we took my car. As we're driving along, he says "You know, Nissan really pulled one over on Mercedes." I reply "How so?". He says "You've got that heated wheel and Mercedes doesn't have one, they really should get on that. The more I think about it, the more I want one in my car" BTW, his car is a 2k1 S500. My solution to him was that I'm willing to make an even trade (sorry Maxima, but that Benz is sweeeeeet) I'm still waiting for his reply.

Albert
I would have had your boss drive!
Old 01-19-2004, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by hotrod37
I think that is incorrect. If you start you car on a cold day and turn on the steering wheel heater the wheel will get warm. If you either dont turn on your heater or set the temp very low on your heater (62 degrees or so) you will see your wheel start to heat up again in that 30 minute period. It will cycle based on the temp in the car. If you get the inside temp of your car to 72 degrees the wheel will not come on at all. Now i Don't mean if the car is cold and you set the temp control to 72 i mean when the car actually reaches that temp.
I don't know about this but since we've been hit with an artic blast here in the NE, I've had my temp@90, and the steering wheel heats up fast...within five min. But when the temp is set to 75 to 80 the steering wheel heats up slower...

I think the wheel knows when its really cold....