5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

intake question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2002, 03:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

intake question?

question, I had a buddy tell me not to touch the intake. He said to leave the stock air filter in there becuase to much crape gets by K&N, and other various intakes filters (POP chargers, CAI). I have also read in some of the forums about check engine lights coming on when the intake was changed. I put on 25K miles per year so i want to get the most miles I can from this car. I sold my 1996 SE to a freind car has 130,000+ and runs perfect never modified the intake. what do you guys think? Sorry for the jabbering
Old 02-17-2002, 03:48 PM

Re: intake question?

Originally posted by SMSE01
question, I had a buddy tell me not to touch the intake. He said to leave the stock air filter in there becuase to much crape gets by K&N, and other various intakes filters (POP chargers, CAI). I have also read in some of the forums about check engine lights coming on when the intake was changed. I put on 25K miles per year so i want to get the most miles I can from this car. I sold my 1996 SE to a freind car has 130,000+ and runs perfect never modified the intake. what do you guys think? Sorry for the jabbering
An intake will not gurt your can. It can only help the performance of it. Take it from hundreds of members who have intakes. Just remember when installing the intake, disconnect the battery before you do anything. Let it sit for a good 30mins after installation is complete, then start it up (DO NOT REV THE ENGINE) and let it idle for a good 5 mins. Turn the car off, start it back up and have fun with it. You shouldn't get a CEL (Check Engine Light) if you followed those instructions. If you have any other questions, just ask.
Old 02-18-2002, 03:11 AM

Re: Re: intake question?

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE

An intake will not gurt your can. It can only help the performance of it. Take it from hundreds of members who have intakes. Just remember when installing the intake, disconnect the battery before you do anything. Let it sit for a good 30mins after installation is complete, then start it up (DO NOT REV THE ENGINE) and let it idle for a good 5 mins. Turn the car off, start it back up and have fun with it. You shouldn't get a CEL (Check Engine Light) if you followed those instructions. If you have any other questions, just ask.
Not really, I know at least three ppl including are still having CEL problem after CAI installed. One has gone back to JWT intake and two others are on the way back to either stock or just Stillen. I will try the STillen/CAI hybrid.

Something about NIssan ECU is too sensitive about A/F mixture being too lean-------