5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Hub caps

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 05:17 AM

Center caps

Can someone please confirm/correct what my Dealer's service manager told me?
Over the weekend, I was cleaning my Max (2k1 SE) and noticed that the rear wheels had those little brass-colored pressed-metal caps that fit over the center hub/spindle. However, the fronts did not have these caps. Nothing was covering the threaded spindle thing (if someone can insert the actual term for this piece, please do ) Since I had recently had the car in to have the rotors turned (after only 12k...grrrrrr) I naturally assumed that the mechanic just forgot to put them back on the fronts. I took it over to the dealer and explained all this. The service manager looked at the fronts and then told me that the fronts aren't supposed to have the caps! That only the rears have them. Something about the fronts being the drive wheels so they can't be covered by the caps.
I need a second opinion on this, please. Is this true? Seems odd to me.
On a related note...I checked with the parts guy about getting the caps myself. He told me that, in fact, his parts manifest showed my Max requiring 4 of these caps. The kicker is that, according to him, they cost around $48 each!
TIA,
Jim
Old 02-20-2002, 05:47 AM

Re: Hub caps

Originally posted by Thorzdad
Can someone please confirm/correct what my Dealer's service manager told me?
Over the weekend, I was cleaning my Max (2k1 SE) and noticed that the rear wheels had those little brass-colored pressed-metal caps that fit over the center hub/spindle. However, the fronts did not have these caps. Nothing was covering the threaded spindle thing (if someone can insert the actual term for this piece, please do ) Since I had recently had the car in to have the rotors turned (after only 12k...grrrrrr) I naturally assumed that the mechanic just forgot to put them back on the fronts. I took it over to the dealer and explained all this. The service manager looked at the fronts and then told me that the fronts aren't supposed to have the caps! That only the rears have them. Something about the fronts being the drive wheels so they can't be covered by the caps.
I need a second opinion on this, please. Is this true? Seems odd to me.
On a related note...I checked with the parts guy about getting the caps myself. He told me that, in fact, his parts manifest showed my Max requiring 4 of these caps. The kicker is that, according to him, they cost around $48 each!
TIA,
Jim
They are called center caps. Im not sure if your 16's have them in the front or not but I'm pretty sure they do. Center caps for my 17s are 60 bucks a piece, as wrong as this sounds just find another maxima that looks uncared about and pop the center caps the only thing that you can do...
Old 02-20-2002, 06:14 AM

Re: Re: Hub caps

Originally posted by AdamK

They are called center caps. Im not sure if your 16's have them in the front or not but I'm pretty sure they do. Center caps for my 17s are 60 bucks a piece, as wrong as this sounds just find another maxima that looks uncared about and pop the center caps the only thing that you can do...
That's tempting, but I would fear the bad karma that would bring down on me.
I have the 17's on my Max, too...so maybe $48 isn't so bad afterall?
Old 02-20-2002, 07:18 AM

Re: Re: Re: Hub caps

That's tempting, but I would fear the bad karma that would bring down on me.
I have the 17's on my Max, too...so maybe $48 isn't so bad afterall?
wait so u don't have center caps or u dont have the middle covers under the centercaps?
Old 02-20-2002, 07:33 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hub caps

wait so u don't have center caps or u dont have the middle covers under the centercaps?
By "center caps" do you mean the plastic covers that go on the 17" wheels? I'm not talking about those.
What I'm talking about is the small brass-colored cap that fits over the end of the center spindle. They look like they are pressed metal. Maybe 2-2.5" in dimeter? They are on the rears but not on the fronts.
Old 02-20-2002, 07:37 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hub caps

By "center caps" do you mean the plastic covers that go on the 17" wheels? I'm not talking about those.
What I'm talking about is the small brass-colored cap that fits over the end of the center spindle. They look like they are pressed metal. Maybe 2-2.5" in dimeter? They are on the rears but not on the fronts.
i don't have um either but my rims also do look like

Old 02-20-2002, 07:44 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hub caps

i don't have um either but my rims also do look like...
I'd say those rims have seen some use!

So...if you pop open that center disc on the rim, are you saying you don't see any small cap over the spindle? You see the exposed spindle? A threaded thing with a cotter pin through it?
Old 02-21-2002, 06:01 AM

to clarify...

Sorry about bumping-up this, admittedly, boring topic, but...
I've gotten some email on this and there seems to be some confusion about the part I'm talking about. This cap I'm asking about has nothing to do with the wheels.
If you took the wheel off and looked at the bare rotor/hub assembly, on the rears there is a small cap covering the spindle that pokes out of the center of the assembly. The fronts on my Max don't have that small cap. I've just been trying to confirm what my service guy told me...that the fronts aren't supposed to have that cap.
Anyone?
Old 02-21-2002, 07:20 AM

Re: to clarify...

I'll be looking at my hubs this weekend, so I can see if the small caps are there. I don't remember seeing them before.
Old 02-21-2002, 08:14 AM

No they are not on mine on the front either nor do I think they exist.

Looking around this northern city this time of year, you can see lots of cars of all makes with winter tires/rim and no hub caps. The majority have nothing covering the spindle on the front wheel.
Old 02-21-2002, 08:58 AM

nope all ihave is the threaded thing
Old 02-21-2002, 09:08 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

The fronts are NOT supposed to have them. The fronts have the end of the drive axle sitcking out of the hub, so no cap.
Old 02-21-2002, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by mzmtg
The fronts are NOT supposed to have them. The fronts have the end of the drive axle sitcking out of the hub, so no cap.
Cool! Looks like my service manager wasn't just blowing me smoke to avoid a warranty charge.

Thanks to all!