5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Loud popping noise from shift lock mechanism

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2002, 05:21 AM

Loud popping noise from shift lock mechanism

Is anyone experiencing this problem. I get a popping noise under the gear selector(automatic trans) that seems to be related to the shift lock mechanism. When the car is not moving or slowly moving with the transmission in DRIVE, I get a pronouned popping or clicking noise from the gear selector area when I press and release the brake pedal. I also notice the noise, although a little less pronounced, during normal driving as I slow to a stop at a redlight or stop sign.

The dealer claims the noise is normal but I have never heard a sound this noticable from any car that I have driven with a automatic transmission. The dealer is offering to compare my car to a new car sitting on the lot. I think I will take him up on this but even if the other car doesn't make the sound, I get the feeling that my dealer is not going to fix this.
Old 02-21-2002, 06:28 AM

Re: Loud popping noise from shift lock mechanism

I'm looking at 5th gens and drove a 2000 SE auto and a clicking noise came from the shifter every time I stepped on the brake pedal when it was in park.
Is that normal?
Have only driven one auto and one stick. Clutch felt very stiff about 3/4's of the way down.
Anyone have thoughts on that too??

Thanks

92 SE 5
Old 02-21-2002, 11:18 AM

Re: Loud popping noise from shift lock mechanism

Originally posted by volmax
Is anyone experiencing this problem. I get a popping noise under the gear selector(automatic trans) that seems to be related to the shift lock mechanism. When the car is not moving or slowly moving with the transmission in DRIVE, I get a pronouned popping or clicking noise from the gear selector area when I press and release the brake pedal. I also notice the noise, although a little less pronounced, during normal driving as I slow to a stop at a redlight or stop sign.

The dealer claims the noise is normal but I have never heard a sound this noticable from any car that I have driven with a automatic transmission. The dealer is offering to compare my car to a new car sitting on the lot. I think I will take him up on this but even if the other car doesn't make the sound, I get the feeling that my dealer is not going to fix this.

i noticed this as well when i first got my Maxima. Yes it is pretty loud compared to other cars but it is in fact normal. I test drove a few other maximas and they all do it. You should test drive some other maxima's as well....
Old 02-21-2002, 12:01 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

It's the shift lock your hearing. You cannot move the shift lever unless your foot is on the brake.

Funny though, my 99 only clicks to release when it's in PARK. R,N,D,2,1 are silent. Sounds like Nissan skimped out on some programming to prevent this from happening.