5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Installed Frenkar Intake, ECU keeps throwing Code

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2002, 02:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Installed Frenkar Intake, ECU keeps throwing Code

I put in the Frnaken-take this afternoon. The Check Engine light wont go off. I messed up and started it without reconnecting the sensor. Now when I reset the battery and turn on the car the light turns off, then turns back on! Ahhh, Why cant these be easy like Hondas.

I did drive it though.... OHH MYY GOD is that loud! My neighbors were like WTF?!?!? when I tore out of the neighborhood. It is also very nice w/ how quiet it is when you dont pound it. No one could tell until you unleash the fury. Best $140 I dropped in a long time.

Anyone got any ideas on what to do with the ECU? I checked the ECU itself and it doesnt have a reset switch like my 97 Max had. <scratch scratch> I cannot imagine this thing havving a battery that keeps the meroy, so what is tripping the ECU to send the check code????
Old 02-22-2002, 02:51 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

They are easy like Hondas, but you introduced "operator error" when you started it without hooking everything back up.
Old 02-22-2002, 02:55 PM
Very sound, Mike

Leave the battery disconnected overnight... *might* fix it.

Originally posted by mzmtg
They are easy like Hondas, but you introduced "operator error" when you started it without hooking everything back up.
Old 02-22-2002, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by soundmike
Leave the battery disconnected overnight... *might* fix it.

See, I have read that on here before and everyone says that, but I don't see how that would fix anything, unless the ECU has some kind of internal battery. Does it?

The other issue is, the light turns off when you start it, then about 3 secs later, it pops up. That seems to me like something is popping a code.
Old 02-22-2002, 03:05 PM
Very sound, Mike

Two things:

1) memory effect
2) nike's motto (Just do it!)

Originally posted by dblrr900

See, I have read that on here before and everyone says that, but I don't see how that would fix anything, unless the ECU has some kind of internal battery. Does it?

The other issue is, the light turns off when you start it, then about 3 secs later, it pops up. That seems to me like something is popping a code.
Old 02-22-2002, 03:15 PM

Make sure the temp sensor out of the stock airbox is plugged in.
Old 02-22-2002, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by maxse01
Make sure the temp sensor out of the stock airbox is plugged in.
Got it, you are talking about the Air Sensor that goes into the plug on the top of the tube. If not where is the temp sensor you are thinking of? I have checked everything under the hood.

I guess I will be leaving the plug off all night.
Old 02-22-2002, 06:23 PM

Got it, you are talking about the Air Sensor that goes into the plug on the top of the tube. If not where is the temp sensor you are thinking of? I have checked everything under the hood.

I guess I will be leaving the plug off all night.
He means the Ambient Temp Sensor from the stock intake scoop. I think 2k2's might not have a separate temp sensor, could be integrated with the MAF or somewhere else. The 2k/2k1 FC intake has a hole for the ATS and grommet from our scoop.
Old 02-22-2002, 08:42 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

ya the 2k2's dont have a separete thing. the battery trick doesn't work either. i'll read my FSM tonight but i think you best bet is
1. go to stock intake and try to get dealer to do it for free (reset the ECU)
2. go to local shop and pay 40 buck, maybe less, just tell them to turn it off, that there is no prob.
3. drive with it on for a while and hope it turns off in like 500 miles.
Old 02-23-2002, 10:57 AM

Well,

I went to the dealership up the road and talked to the service rep that was on duty this morning. I told him what I did and was going to ask if someone there could reset the ECU. He asked if I reattached the Sensor, which I said yes. He said that it will reset itself in a while. I asked how long and he said it was something like 30 starts or something like that. Not sure if he is telling me a load or what, but I will wait and see what happens. I will let you know what I find out.

R
Old 02-23-2002, 12:48 PM

Well,

I went to the dealership up the road and talked to the service rep that was on duty this morning. I told him what I did and was going to ask if someone there could reset the ECU. He asked if I reattached the Sensor, which I said yes. He said that it will reset itself in a while. I asked how long and he said it was something like 30 starts or something like that. Not sure if he is telling me a load or what, but I will wait and see what happens. I will let you know what I find out.

R
ya that's sounds about right, if the error is no longer there then the code will go away eventually.

-steve
Old 02-23-2002, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

ya that's sounds about right, if the error is no longer there then the code will go away eventually.

-steve

Problems With the 'Frankenstein Intake already?????????? For a $25,000 dollar car I think I would invest wisely, and go with a Place Racing Cold Air Intake systems... They might charge a lil more, but its an investment that will save you a lot of headaches....
Old 02-23-2002, 05:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Snoop,

Originally posted by Snoop

Problems With the 'Frankenstein Intake already?????????? For a $25,000 dollar car I think I would invest wisely, and go with a Place Racing Cold Air Intake systems... They might charge a lil more, but its an investment that will save you a lot of headaches....
Yhea... Get a PRCAI and drill a hole the size of a fist in your new car. Now THAT's going to save you some headaches!!!

No thanks, I like my fender the way it is... And the ability to go back to stock if my Check Engine light goes on. Try that with a PRCAI and see what the dealer tells you.

Simon
Old 02-23-2002, 05:46 PM

Hmmmm...in before everything goes nuts.
Old 02-23-2002, 09:53 PM

ok now, if you read the thread carefully you would see it was HIS FAULT for starting the car up without re-connecting the sensor, it has NOTHING to do with my intake, other than he did this when he was installing it. it could have happened with any intake install. REPEAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SOMETHING THE FRANKENCAR INTAKE CAUSED.

READ BEFORE YOU SLANDER PEOPLE.

-STEVE
Old 02-23-2002, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by MichaelAE
Hmmmm...in before everything goes nuts.
Like I said.
Old 02-23-2002, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by MichaelAE

Like I said.
Old 02-24-2002, 06:13 AM

Yeah, The Franken Take is fine. I messed up and was in a rush to start it and let it idle for a bit. As soon as I turned the key, I remembered. At this point I love this intake, it is soooo loud yet quiet when I need it to be.

I dropped the Hammer on a fully modded IS-300 last night. I had him by two cars out of first gear. I had to cut it though, some car was in my way and wasn't going anywhere. THe guy took off like a maniac in and out of traffic. I lost interest at that time. Stupid kid was like 20 Driving an IS-300 like a little honda. He was eassily mine is I would have had some more room.

The intake is good to go. There is no way I am putting a hole in my fender, and It rains too much here, I will stick with the Frankentake.
Old 02-24-2002, 09:43 AM

snoop you need to actually research things before going off.
Old 02-24-2002, 10:03 AM

Check your math dood. 2002, 6spd, SE, Full Bose and LSD? 25,000 isn't going to cut it. But I agree, doing your homework is important. That is why I took over a month to look into just intakes and see what I wanted.
Old 02-27-2002, 02:48 PM

Check Engine light is finally off. I think I figured out the odd 2k2 ECU thing.

Since the light tripped I have restarted the car between 50-60 times and I drove just under 200 miles. So at some point in that mix the ECU resets and the Code went away.

So you can't reset the ECu with the battery disconnect, but it will automatically reset if all codes have stopped. Looks like it will do it with about 50-60 restarts, or 200 miles, not sure which one it is. The dealership told me it would be some number of restarts.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:26 PM

Old 02-27-2002, 10:39 PM

i had the check engine light come on too when i first installed the intake on my 2k on monday. secured a couple of connections here and there..lights off. car runs great..didnt get a chance to floor it yet though..this friday when i go back home..ill post bout the sound and feeling at WOT. first have to tie up the intake to the brace so it stops rattling against the metal!! otehr than that..great job steve!
Old 02-28-2002, 12:08 AM

dont bash!..shieeeeeeet...id rather buy from this guy than some big company like stillen....and for that price...just think of it as an investment into the maxima's performance future...unless you wanna keep turning to stillen for upgrades..i dunno about you people but im 19..and i gotta work my a$$ off to buy something...especially this car.....5 stars for the frankencar intake....if you've got one..try it WOT in a tunnel...it sounds amazing =), As for the COld air intake...IMO... having to suck all the air all the way down that 4 foot pipe is gonna slow down the process a bit rather than a short ram.
Old 02-28-2002, 04:28 AM

Originally posted by chinaonnitrous1
dont bash!..shieeeeeeet...id rather buy from this guy than some big company like stillen....and for that price...just think of it as an investment into the maxima's performance future...unless you wanna keep turning to stillen for upgrades..i dunno about you people but im 19..and i gotta work my a$$ off to buy something...especially this car.....5 stars for the frankencar intake....if you've got one..try it WOT in a tunnel...it sounds amazing =), As for the COld air intake...IMO... having to suck all the air all the way down that 4 foot pipe is gonna slow down the process a bit rather than a short ram.
thanks man, that's my view. also once i get these www.frankencar.com/stevesfolder/bracket1.jpg i will send one out to anyone that feels that it is necessary.
Old 02-28-2002, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by chinaonnitrous1
I like STILLEN. My whole car is almost if not in fact ALL STILLEN. I will be the first to admit they are a bit pricy at times. I just love the way my car performs.

STILLEN FSTB
STILLEN RSTB
STILLEN RSB
STILLEN Hi-Flow Intake
STILLEN Front Touring Spoiler
STILLEN Areo-Kit
STILLEN Oil Cap +5
STILLEN Decals +2 (each one i have 3 )
Old 02-28-2002, 10:42 AM

Yeah

everyone knocks Stillen, but heah, at one time Stillen was a small company too. You have to give Stillen credit for all the nice products over the years.

Snoop, my god man, who paid you to jump on every intake post? Do you work for Place Racing? Give it a rest you have made your point, hell you admitted you would pay someone 50 bucks to install an intake. Around here we like to install easy mods ourselves. You also keep talking about at a show, most of us could car less about shows.
Old 02-28-2002, 03:38 PM

how bout a video of you installing the intake on the 2k2 for us lazy people.
Old 02-28-2002, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by freeze00
how bout a video of you installing the intake on the 2k2 for us lazy people.
hehe, maybe a short one. i have a digi cam with mpeg on it.

blackgums i hear ya man, he's getting on my nerves.