5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

OSCAI and POP

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 08:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

OSCAI and POP

Two questions:

1. Has anybody gone from OSCAI to a POP intake like Berk, Stillen, JWT? Experience? One better than the other?

2. Has anybody taken the stock air scoop and setup an OSCAI on it even after having a POP intake installed and just pulling colder air into the engine bay?

Cheers!
Old 02-28-2002, 08:30 AM

Re: OSCAI and POP

Originally posted by MichaelAE
Two questions:

1. Has anybody gone from OSCAI to a POP intake like Berk, Stillen, JWT? Experience? One better than the other?

2. Has anybody taken the stock air scoop and setup an OSCAI on it even after having a POP intake installed and just pulling colder air into the engine bay?

Cheers!
I can't directly answer your questions, but I do have a comment. After doing some research on this for myself, I think the Frankencar has the best setup. I know in your number 1 question you mentioned Berk and Stillen but did not mention FC. The nice thing I see with the FC is that it is somewhat of a hybrid of a traditional CAI and WAI. You don’t have to cut a hole in your fender (however, you don’t get the full benefit of CAI), you get the CAI "similar" assembly from the air filter back (Stillen and JWT does not), and it is cheap and easy to install.

I am thinking about rigging something up similar to your number 2 question myself. Let me know if you end up doing anything...I would like to see it.

My .02

Brian
Old 02-28-2002, 08:42 AM

Ive gone from a 3" oscai pipe with a K&N panel to a CAI two days ago and let me tell you, there is absolutely no comparison. Torque and HP increased across the range. Popchargers usually make you lose your low end, but gain the high end. I wanted both.

Dixit
Old 02-28-2002, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Ive gone from a 3" oscai pipe with a K&N panel to a CAI two days ago and let me tell you, there is absolutely no comparison. Torque and HP increased across the range. Popchargers usually make you lose your low end, but gain the high end. I wanted both.

Dixit
Right...I understand the variation between OSCAI and PRCAI, I am more interested in hearing about the transition from OSCAI to POP. I am thinking of putting my stock airbox back and setting up an OSCAI.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:50 AM

Re: Re: OSCAI and POP

Originally posted by TellschMax02
I can't directly answer your questions, but I do have a comment. After doing some research on this for myself, I think the Frankencar has the best setup. I know in your number 1 question you mentioned Berk and Stillen but did not mention FC. The nice thing I see with the FC is that it is somewhat of a hybrid of a traditional CAI and WAI. You don’t have to cut a hole in your fender (however, you don’t get the full benefit of CAI), you get the CAI "similar" assembly from the air filter back (Stillen and JWT does not), and it is cheap and easy to install.

I am thinking about rigging something up similar to your number 2 question myself. Let me know if you end up doing anything...I would like to see it.

My .02

Brian
The FC is a nice intake and I agree that it likely produces more gains that a traditional POP (which is why I didn't include it in the original post). I am interested in hearing people's experience in going from OSCAI to POP. I have the Berk intake installed and am thinking of replacing my stock airbox and setting up an OSCAI as I do not think the power gains from the POP intake are worth the engine noise change.

The noise is not particularly loud, but it is just not "clean." It may be the y-pipe and it may be something else, but I want my VQ to sound as smooth as the VQ should and right now it just isn't right.

If Bryan is out their reading this...your intake sounds great at 55 and WOT, don't get me wrong. I just don't like what I hear when I'm sitting next to a wall and accelerate from 0-x. I can hear the sound reflection off the wall and it just doesn't sound like a smooth revving VQ since the POP and Y install.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by MichaelAE

Right...I understand the variation between OSCAI and PRCAI, I am more interested in hearing about the transition from OSCAI to POP. I am thinking of putting my stock airbox back and setting up an OSCAI.
WHY? Oscai is very restrictive with the Airbox all together, the tube barely helps.

Dixit
Old 02-28-2002, 08:52 AM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
WHY? Oscai is very restrictive with the Airbox all together, the tube barely helps.

Dixit
See above reply.

I may go to FrankenCar first just because I'm not too concerned about the $$$ and I'd like to see how Steve's does. Maybe the noise, although louder, will be "cleaner."
Old 02-28-2002, 09:06 AM

Michael,
Since you’ve already bought the expensive intake, you’re not really risking much by trying out the OSCAI. A trip to home depot and about 15 minutes ought to do it. (I guess you’ll need a K&N panel too, if you don’t already have one.)

I never installed a POP, but I can tell you the sound from my OSCAI setup is barely noticeable at WOT. (a little whooshing is all.) Of course, the power gains are barely noticeable too, but that’s right in line with most POPS anyway.

We ALMOST had a OSCAI-to-Franken Dyno on our hands, but then RU4Real backed out or their Dyno guy sucked or something. I was really hoping to see those #’s.

I still contend that, when summer rolls around, there are going to be some people taking off their Berks, Pops, Frankens, etc. due to a suddenly-more-noticeable loss in low-end. I guess time will tell.

Anyway, please keep me posted about your findings, since we have almost identical setups.

Speaking of which, how do you like the UDP?
Old 02-28-2002, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by Adboy
Speaking of which, how do you like the UDP?
Go back to the other thread...I haven't installed it yet (this weekend) and wanted to hear your answer on the belt sizes.

Thanks for the word. I honestly do not find a noticeable loss of low-end with the Berk intake. I do have the K&N panel...still in my airbox in my "car parts bin." I'd might buy the FC intake too and just compare the three (FC, Berk/POP, and OSCAI) personally. I think, in the end, it is going to be the only way for me to choose between them.
Old 02-28-2002, 12:05 PM

Saw the question, but figured I was too late to reply. You’ll need a 41.5" belt for the big one. (we tried 41" and it was too small.) For the small one, I’m not sure. Here’s what Greg lists at custommaxima.com:

Alternator & Water Pump
1995-02 Gates # K060408

Power Steering
1995-02 Gates # K040292
if that one does not fit then try:
**Alternate Gates # K040300

As far as OSCAI, you can probably have your answer faster than you could have posted questions about it. OSCAI really is simple. Home Depot shop-vac hose, 3"-1" rubber coupling, and a hacksaw. Fits together really easy.

I realize you didn’t lose any low-end from your cone intake- yet. Everyone’s putting them on in the dead of winter, but when August rolls around I think it’s gonna be a different story. I don’t mean to re-open the debate right now, as it’s already been beaten to death. I’m just expressing my opinion.
Old 02-28-2002, 03:01 PM

Saw the question, but figured I was too late to reply. You’ll need a 41.5" belt for the big one. (we tried 41" and it was too small.) For the small one, I’m not sure. Here’s what Greg lists at custommaxima.com:

Alternator & Water Pump
1995-02 Gates # K060408

Power Steering
1995-02 Gates # K040292
if that one does not fit then try:
**Alternate Gates # K040300

As far as OSCAI, you can probably have your answer faster than you could have posted questions about it. OSCAI really is simple. Home Depot shop-vac hose, 3"-1" rubber coupling, and a hacksaw. Fits together really easy.

I realize you didn’t lose any low-end from your cone intake- yet. Everyone’s putting them on in the dead of winter, but when August rolls around I think it’s gonna be a different story. I don’t mean to re-open the debate right now, as it’s already been beaten to death. I’m just expressing my opinion.
Thanks for the reply. The UDP is still with UPS...arriving tomorrow, so you have lots more time to post and give me pointers.

I know what you're saying about the POP filter. I wonder how FC will fair in the hot weather. Who knows, I suppose I may be back with the stock airbox and OSCAI if it turns out to be that bad. Maybe I'll keep all three and have seasonal intakes.
Old 02-28-2002, 03:21 PM

That’s funny- Spring Equinox- Set clocks one hour ahead and install OSCAI. Fall equinox- One hour back and FrankenCar!

The tricky part for the UDP seems to be torquing on the new one without turning the crank. Have someone put the car in 5th and stand on the brakes. For whatever reason, that did it.
Old 02-28-2002, 03:48 PM

That’s funny- Spring Equinox- Set clocks one hour ahead and install OSCAI. Fall equinox- One hour back and FrankenCar!

The tricky part for the UDP seems to be torquing on the new one without turning the crank. Have someone put the car in 5th and stand on the brakes. For whatever reason, that did it.
I have an impact wrench (electric) which I'm hoping will do the job. If not, I'll have someone on the brake in fifth gear as you suggest.
Old 02-28-2002, 05:13 PM
You're Faster, I'm Better

I put my OSCAI on back last July, and it really makes a difference in the summer, especially here in Houston. When i get the money i will be getting a true CAI as I prefer more low end power over high end.