5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Reflecting on wild weekend (long)...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 08:38 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Reflecting on wild weekend (long)...

Wow... what a weekend. I don't feel altogether right now, so excuse the misspellings and grammar. If you want to read the summary, just look for bolded text throughout the post.

Friday
It all started on Friday when Cheston (Chebosto) and Billy (BL97) came over to my place to do a 3.25" pulley swap for Cheston's car. They got to my place before I got back from work, so they played Halo and Gotham Project Racing (Jane was back from school already). I got back at about 3:00 and we started working on Cheston's car about 10 minutes afterwards.

We wasted about 2 hours trying to get a bolt off. Seems like it was stripped from his previous install, so a 10mm didn't fit and a 9mm was too small. We went to Home Depot and Cheston "found" the correct sized wrench for the bolt. He bought some extra bolts to fix some other ones, and HD mispriced the parts and charged him $.03 for all of them (not including the wrench ).

We went back to my place and spent some more time working on the stubborn bolt, but finally it came off. Daniel (mingo) droppped by because he wanted to borrow an oil filter. He decided to stay and help out with the swap.

Up next was the reinstalling the SC. We took at least an hour trying to get the alternator aligned with the SC bracket. On top of that, I lost my screwdriver in Cheston's car!!!!! We searched all over but couldn't find it... oh well.

We got it all back on the car and went for a test drive. The highest boost we saw was about 9 psi, but the car did pull pretty hard. On our test drive, we decided to go to Burger King for dinner (Cheston's treat of course). I got a King sized Whopper meal and a BK Big Fish(for Jane).

We headed back to my place and ate there. I looked in the back and found out the bastard forgot to give me my Whopper!!! Oh well number 2. After finishing up, we decided to go to Tapioca Express to get some Pearl Milk Tea (or Boba Tea). We finishined and left.

On the freeway, I decided to gun in while Cheston was behind me. I checked out the rearview mirror and noticed a smoke-like substance coming from my car. Uh oh!!! Then, I looked at the gauge cluster and noticed that my oil pressure, battery, brake, seat belt, etc. lights were on. First thought in my mind was, "oh snap I snapped my belt." Second thought was, "what was that smoke coming form the car?" Third was, "turn off all electrical accessories so my battery won't die."

Cheston called me and told me that I sprayed fuel all over his car. Fuel? How can that be? The smoke was coming from the right side of the car, but the lines were on the left side of the car. We finally got back to my place. When we got out of the car, we noticed a long trail of fluid leading up to the driveway. Oh no....... I looked under the car and noticed oil coming from the oil cooler lines.

Crap... onwards to the second SC install/deinstall of the day. Daniel, Jane, and I started at about 10:30 PM and finished with the whole install plus cleanup at about 3:30 AM. There was so much oil on the car and floor. We drained the car and got back about 1/4 quart of oil. I'm lucky the engine didn't fail while driving back. Tip of the day: If you ever see your oil pressure light come on, pull over and stop because you will screw up the motor if you keep driving. The late night SC install will come back and haunt me during the dyno day (Sunday). Daniel forgot to take the oil filter. Thanks for your help mingooooooooooooo.

Saturday
On Saturday, we went back to San Francisco because Jane's parents wanted to eat lunch with us. I drove my car back to SF because Jane was getting her car retinted. After eating, they decided to cancel their plan with AT&T and Cingular cell service and decided to get Verizon. We decided to take two cars to Verizon because Jane and I were going to leave after getting the phones. On our way there, Jeff's (Jane's brother) Lexus IS300 breaks down (he has a Rod Millen intake, GReddy cat-back, Egoist body kit, A'pexi AFC, and Toyomoto headers [headers on order]). His screen name is ICE300 over on http://www.is300.net if anyone is interested.

Jane and her dad took my car back to Hayward because the tint shop closes at 5:00 and it was 4:00 already. Jeff and I waited about 2 hours for a flatbed tow truck to take us to the Lexus dealership. While the tow truck guy was getting his car on the flatbed, the kit was making crackling sound because the line was pushing his lower lip upwards. We inspected the kit and found no problems.

We got to the dealership and it was time to get the car off the flatbed. The guy backed his car off and went at least 15 mph and Jeff's muffler banged on the floor and his kit scrapped the last part of the tow truck and the floor. Idiot... Nothing was broken, but the underside of front was scraped.

We filled in the paperwork for a loaner car (RX300), but couldn't take it off the lot because we needed his dad's signature. We called Jane, but she was on her way to a Verizon store so they had to turn back. Jane was driving my car instead of hers (this will be significant later on)... don't know why. We waited about an 1.5 hours because they were stuck in stop and go traffic on the way back.

Sunday
Yay, dyno day. Can't wait to hit 300 whp. Jane was first to dyno. Since her last dyno, we added 2 step colder plugs and the Aquamist water injection kit. Jane put down 248 whp on 9 psi of boost, so there is a leak somewhere. On her last run, her car detonated at about 4000. The car also ran really rich, so we don't know why it detonated. Oh well number 3... we'll fix her problems and get her fuel tuned before the next dyno. The Aquamist improved many areas of her hp and torque. I'll have to analyze it some more (too tired to really compare yesterday).

Now it was my turn to dyno. Since my last dyno, we added an oil cooler, A'pexi AFC, and the Aquamist water injection kit. The water injection is my form of juice. Hehehehe I'm not running nitrous like what you all thought.

On the first run, the dyno guys told me I was running 6 psi. We all looked at the graph and it showed 246 whp. What? 6 psi? How did this happen? I hopped on the dyno and noticed that the belt was off the SC. I looked further with a light and noticed that the tensioner pulley was up against the body of the car.

We backed the car off the dyno and put it on a lift while others dynoed (Cheston). I pulled the pulley off and noticed it was fine. What happened? Where is the nut that holds the pulley? Aaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! It's on the floor under the dyno. I probably didn't tighten the tensioner pulley nut Friday night. Jane and I were driving that car on Saturday too!!! What a newbie mistake.....

We put the car back on the dyno and I got the best run of 286.1 whp (on 10 psi, so there's leak somewhere), but the air/fuel was so rich the curve ran off the graph. Cheston suggested zeroing out the AFC, so I did that. Nothing really changed, so I went back and leaned out the fuel (more that what I had before). There was a noticeable change in the A/F, so that's good news, but the graph still went off the graph (under 10:1) at about 4500 rpm if I recall correctly.

On our way back after the meet, I noticed that my car bogged REALLY bad when I accelerated. I didn't think nothing of it because I didn't get a chance to mash the car much. So on my way to work this morning, I tried accelerating hard. The car would bog, pick up, bog, pick up, bog, etc. I decided to pull over on the freeway to see what's happening.

First thought was.... oh no, "not this again," but my warning lights didn't turn on. Weird... I popped the hood and took a look. The belt was fine and still intact (engine running). Looked around the bay... nothing really noticeable.... walked to the supercharger side and noticed it was louder than usual. The car suddenly sounded like it was bogging down again, so I looked at the CAI piping on the SC and noticed that the CAI piping was off the SC. Whoever put the CAI piping back on the SC didn't tighten the hose clamps!!!!!!! I put it back and tightened the clamp and everything was fine again.

So... all in all this was a wild weekend. I'm not sure what I would've gotten if the car was running 100% like last time (besides being rich like last time) I'm definitely going to dyno and tune the car very soon (scheduled an appointment already). So take it as you will...... "286 whp isn't bad with car not running right," or "You're not going to get 300 whp (SAE corrected) even with the car running right." Only time will tell...
Old 02-25-2002, 08:46 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

WOW, What a weekend!
Old 02-25-2002, 08:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Have a few beers, yall deserve them!

How much was the aquamist?

I been lookin at a DIY set up.
http://www.dawesdevices.com/water.html
Old 02-25-2002, 09:13 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
Have a few beers, yall deserve them!

How much was the aquamist?

I been lookin at a DIY set up.
http://www.dawesdevices.com/water.html
$410 because we bought two kits (regular price is $450). Using a 1mm orifice (vs. 0.6mm which is the lowest). The Aquamist does give the car a slight push when it turns on. I have Jane's dyno to prove that it does improve the numbers (not peak, but throughout the range).

Guess what? I have that page bookmarked, but I wanted to play it safe so we bought the ERL system.

My curves were more jagged than my previous dyno. They actually looked lower when I did a quick comparison.

I forgot to make this clear... my SC belt snapped Friday night.
Old 02-25-2002, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Old 02-25-2002, 09:46 AM

Hey Kev, are you or Jane gonna try the 100 Octane gas at one of your dynos? I have gotten comments from my dyno that my ECU may be retarding timing at about 3700 RPM, hence the humps.
Old 02-25-2002, 09:56 AM
My 4DSC

Originally posted by yo_its_ok

I want to make this clear...STILLEN Sux Big Phloppy Donkeh Diq.
and GOAT NADS TOO!

Old 02-25-2002, 10:05 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by Adidas_Boy
Hey Kev, are you or Jane gonna try the 100 Octane gas at one of your dynos? I have gotten comments from my dyno that my ECU may be retarding timing at about 3700 RPM, hence the humps.
The Aquamist should prevent detonation. Maybe... we'll see though.

Yeah, Stillen sucks.
Old 02-25-2002, 10:12 AM

Re: Reflecting on wild weekend (long)...

So... all in all this was a wild weekend. I'm not sure what I would've gotten if the car was running 100% like last time (besides being rich like last time) I'm definitely going to dyno and tune the car very soon (scheduled an appointment already). So take it as you will...... "286 whp isn't bad with car not running right," or "You're not going to get 300 whp (SAE corrected) even with the car running right." Only time will tell... [/B][/QUOTE]

I need homeys like you to help me out when I have SC problems...You have a good support network there Kev. I have to pay for all my questions to get answered and the NY guys ignore me for some reason... hmmm!

Deac
Old 02-25-2002, 10:24 AM

Re: Re: Reflecting on wild weekend (long)...

Originally posted by Deac

I need homeys like you to help me out when I have SC problems...You have a good support network there Kev. I have to pay for all my questions to get answered
Deac

no joke. i just may have to start making weekend trip to sf if i run into probs. but then there's a bunch o guys here in so cal too. wonder if anyone has a sc who can help me out???
Old 02-25-2002, 10:29 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Network... http://maxima.cardomain.com/id/norcal_maximas

Doesn't hurt to have Turtle95Max (Matthel), RiceBoy (Chebosto), mingo (Daniel) in your area.
Old 02-25-2002, 10:40 AM

Damn Kev... Sorry for the long hard weekend.
Ya still got a bad *** car though

Hope everything works out.
Old 02-25-2002, 11:02 AM

Kev can you please post or e-mail me a copy of Janes dyno so I can see what the water system did.

matchou@***.net
Old 02-25-2002, 11:35 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Kev can you please post or e-mail me a copy of Janes dyno so I can see what the water system did.

matchou@***.net
I'll post the results tonight. Hopefully I can go to the dyno place and get her strongest run of the previous dyno on top of yesterday's dyno.

Remember at about redline I had approximately 80 whp over her (200 whp)? Well, she has about 230-235 now. 30 whp gain up top is nice isn't it?

Thanks KYJ.
Old 02-25-2002, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
30 whp gain up top is nice isn't it?

Dam, for some distilled water thats aright! So the only thing added was the ERLS system?
Old 02-25-2002, 11:45 AM

Re: Re: Re: Reflecting on wild weekend (long)...

I need homeys like you to help me out when I have SC problems...You have a good support network there Kev. I have to pay for all my questions to get answered and the NY guys ignore me for some reason... hmmm!

Deac
Told you to ask Delio or Confused, they have STILLEN kits. [/B][/QUOTE]

I didnt mean it like that, I meant if I had some 5th Gen dudes in NY that I could hang w/to help me fix my car that would be cool...and I'd have alot more $$$ to spare! I have'nt been able to hook up w/any of you guys yet! Kev is lucky!

Deac
Old 02-25-2002, 12:11 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Reflecting on wild weekend (long)...

Dam, for some distilled water thats aright! So the only thing added was the ERLS system?
Distilled water? No way... we use the good high class expensive stuff that you pay bling bling for...... tap water.

Just make sure the water is not hard water. You can use 50/50 mix of water and rubbing alcohol (boosts octane), but it the cooling efficiency isn't as good as 100% water.

ERL and 2 step colder plugs (not gapped yet).

Originally posted by Deac

I didnt mean it like that, I meant if I had some 5th Gen dudes in NY that I could hang w/to help me fix my car that would be cool...and I'd have alot more $$$ to spare! I have'nt been able to hook up w/any of you guys yet! Kev is lucky!

Deac
We all help each other out, so it's all good.
Old 02-25-2002, 04:53 PM

what exactly does this aquamist thing do? sounds like it sprays water all over the engine to cool it . i want one now. screw it, i just wanna be kev.
Old 02-25-2002, 04:58 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

They seem to be having problems with their site: http://www.aquamist.co.uk/
Old 02-25-2002, 05:18 PM

Imagine your skin is the air your breathe...water injection is like running through a sprinkler...Ahhh refreshing...same thing your motor says when it sucks in cool charge of air.
so it cools the air between the intake and engine? thanks.
Old 02-25-2002, 08:42 PM

OH dear.... MAn i specifically remember Jane tightened all the hose clamps.. u even asked "did you tighten these already(pointing at hose clamps)" and Jane and i said "yeah" and you said "thank youuOOouu." and i'm sure they were on snug.. Man i feel responsible for all that happened.. it was my bright idea to say "hey kev let's take your car, cuz i haven't been in it since u got the tomei, afc and aquamist mods" to tapioca express. Man maybe my bad luck is rubbing off on u.

good thing the pulley wasn't melted.. usually when a bolt gets loose the pulley wobbles and it stresses the bearings causing it to heat up and melt. today was a semi bad day at matthel's too.. we still couldnt' get someones mod to work.. but it was exciting tho, re-fitting some bolts n stuff, thot we had to rip it out again. i did get to do my oil change, but the magnetic drain plug i was so happy about didn't fit, it was too big.. so i just used a filter i picked up at nissan and dumped in my stenchy oil. I shot the catalytic converter with matthels infrared temp gauge and it seems to be fine.. the front of the cat was reading at 3?? degrees farenheit, and the outlet was reading 4?? farenheit. so i'm not sure if my cat is doing fine or not..

neways.... kev.. tell me when u gonna go dyno again.. i'ma see what things i can get sorted out before it.. if all works well and if i get to see a lil green in my world, then i'de like to dyno too...

i hope all things work out good for ur car n stuff...
Old 02-25-2002, 09:16 PM
Used force to obtain Admin powers

I did tighten it. I remembered. You're just trying to blame something on me.
Old 02-25-2002, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by Jane97SE
To 24 lb's TQ?
Old 02-25-2002, 09:29 PM
Used force to obtain Admin powers

Originally posted by emax95

To 24 lb's TQ?
Old 02-25-2002, 09:40 PM

Used in boosted applications...since pressurized air gets hot and even a intercooler has limited efficiency, water or water-alcohol injection cools the air down so the air is nice and dense.

-Boosted VQ30DE =
everyday is an education eh?
Old 02-25-2002, 09:47 PM

damn.... you got a HOT car...
Old 02-25-2002, 09:51 PM

Sorry about the crappy weekend. I'm glad everything turned out basically ok though!
Old 02-25-2002, 09:59 PM

Ah...the on-going hate/love relationship with the SC. It is good that I no longer have headaches over SC problems(boost leak, egt skyrocketing, dumb cai filter falling off, etc.)

However, I do miss the boost. Oh well, guess I have to settle with what I got now until I could get myself a turbo Supra.
Old 02-25-2002, 10:09 PM

Re: Reflecting on wild weekend (long)...

I think your post exceeded the max number of characters for a post.

Well its seems like you did have a bad weekend, ohh well at least its over, now time to hit the track
Old 02-25-2002, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by Jane97SE
ME?>??? i said u did tighten it. hhehee next time see if we can get themz racheting action style clamps.. get those suckers on there nice and snug.
Old 02-25-2002, 11:24 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Thanks guys... the desire to surpass 300 whp is burning inside of me.
Old 02-25-2002, 11:27 PM

Kevin:
chalk one up for the memories,, what a weekend, but at least you still have your car, and it's working... one of my Honda friends just blew a couple of pistons in a nos set up, so we need to count our blessings.
Serin, BrianV here in s. cali has a sc he is always willing to help out.. Bernie
Old 02-25-2002, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by bernie2000se
Kevin:
chalk one up for the memories,, what a weekend, but at least you still have your car, and it's working... one of my Honda friends just blew a couple of pistons in a nos set up, so we need to count our blessings.
Serin, BrianV here in s. cali has a sc he is always willing to help out.. Bernie
thanks bernie. i'll keep that in mind. with all these suggestions now on how to spend my tax return, i've got some projects in line. gotta do the vb mod for sure. then maybe leather??
Old 02-26-2002, 06:36 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by bernie2000se
Kevin:
Very true.
Old 02-26-2002, 06:44 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Jane97SE's dyno
003 was done on 12/27/2001 - 235.9 hp 237.2 torque
007 was done on 02/24/2002 - 246.7 hp 238.9 torque

I forgot she ran 241 hp on 12/27/2001. Doh!
We couldn't grab her highest run of 248 hp because it cut out on some areas. She peaked at 10 psi and detonated on the last run. The fuel is still on the rich side, so an air flow controller will be needed to tune it.

http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~chin/...dyno_scj_c.jpg

Y2KevSE's dyno
004 was done on 12/24/2001 - 284.1 hp 234.9 torque
007 was done on 02/24/2002 - 286.1 hp 232.6 torque

The blue lines (more recent dyno) are clearly way under the red lines (previous dyno). The air/fuel ratio clearly goes way off the graph, so the car needs serious tuning. The intake with MAF not being attached to the SC made a difference.

http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~chin/.../dyno_sc_c.jpg
Old 02-26-2002, 07:10 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

The server is having problems right now... it should be back up soon.
Old 02-26-2002, 07:44 AM

Nice gains from 5400 on up on Janes car!

410 hmmmmmm, cheeper than an AWIC....

Who did you buy it from?

Anyone wana do a group deal in a month or so?
Old 02-26-2002, 07:58 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Nice gains from 5400 on up on Janes car!

410 hmmmmmm, cheeper than an AWIC....

Who did you buy it from?

Anyone wana do a group deal in a month or so?
Hehehehe... How efficient are AWIC's? The WI can be 120% efficient (depending on jet size). I'm sure the AWIC isn't even close to that. When do you ever see "charged" air get cooler than ambient air with an intercooler setup?

http://www.kcsaab.com/ ask for Brad and tell him "the guy with the two Maximas that bought some kits from you 3 weeks ago" sent you. He'll recommend different jet sizes if you tell him your power (I'm using a 1.0mm orifice, with 0.9mm and .08mm as backup if I want to go smaller).

$450 regular price... but he gave 10% off when I bought two.
Old 02-26-2002, 08:07 AM

What boost pressure do you have yours set to come on at?
Old 02-26-2002, 08:18 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

What boost pressure do you have yours set to come on at?
3 psi.

Quick Reply: Reflecting on wild weekend (long)...