5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What's the deal with this "mods" stuff anyway?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 12:31 PM

What's the deal with this "mods" stuff anyway?

OK, call me Mr. Ignorant.

I've owned a '93 Max. GXE and I'm about to ramp up to a '02 GLE. And I'm buying the Max again for all the same reasons: Looks good, drives nice, powerful acceleration, stays out of the service center, yadda, yadda, yadda.

But thread after thread talks about making this car "better" after the sale. Is this an age thing? At 43 w/wife and kids, modding my Max to the "max" (is that the correct term?) doesn't sound very enticing to me. Am I just an old f**t? I just can't see spending hundreds (maybe a few thousand) after plunking down $25K+ for my GLE.

Speaking of GLE's, looks like I'm in the minority here too. Is this group better off being maximaSE.org?

Signed,

Lonely future GLE owner from Joisey.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:33 PM

It's just the new age musle car kinda thing. You can relate to the musle cars always needing to be faster and better right? Same type of thing now.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:35 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Mods are a total waste of money. I feel sorry for those who spend so much to make their car "better." Wish I had money to burn like those idiots.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Mods are a total waste of money. I feel sorry for those who spend so much to make their car "better." Wish I had money to burn like those idiots.
Yeah I agree, why waste over $4000 in TVs and DVD mobile video crap?

Dixit
Old 02-26-2002, 12:39 PM

Yeah who spends 50-60 g's on a max anyway?
Old 02-26-2002, 12:39 PM

I agree with you chief.

Cheers

AA
Old 02-26-2002, 12:54 PM

Re: What's the deal with this "mods" stuff anyway?

Originally posted by dmarion

I've owned a '93 Max. GXE and I'm about to ramp up to a '02 GLE. And I'm buying the Max again for all the same reasons: Looks good, drives nice, powerful acceleration, stays out of the service center, yadda, yadda, yadda.

But thread after thread talks about making this car "better" after the sale. Is this an age thing? At 43 w/wife and kids, modding my Max to the "max" (is that the correct term?) doesn't sound very enticing to me. Am I just an old f**t? I just can't see spending hundreds (maybe a few thousand) after plunking down $25K+ for my GLE.

Speaking of GLE's, looks like I'm in the minority here too. Is this group better off being maximaSE.org?

Signed,

I am sure that you can still find a home here at Maxima.ORG, dmarion. You don't have to modify your car for this group to provide valuable information and to answer questions.

To everybody else who responded...you guys are so full of it.

Maybe Magellan will reply here since he has become the self-proclaimed "old fart" of the crew even though nobody is really sure he's actually older than the rest of us "old farts."

For the purposes of this board, "old fart" is defined as someone who remembers that Germany used to be two countries, still doesn't quite understand what the Russian Federation is, and remembers that the Ford Mustang used to be a fast car.

If you remember that Germany used to be one country, then it became two countries, and now is back to one country...then you win the "old fart" title.
Old 02-26-2002, 02:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: What's the deal with this "mods" stuff anyway?

Originally posted by MichaelAE

I am sure that you can still find a home here at Maxima.ORG, dmarion. You don't have to modify your car for this group to provide valuable information and to answer questions.

To everybody else who responded...you guys are so full of it.

Maybe Magellan will reply here since he has become the self-proclaimed "old fart" of the crew even though nobody is really sure he's actually older than the rest of us "old farts."

For the purposes of this board, "old fart" is defined as someone who remembers that Germany used to be two countries, still doesn't quite understand what the Russian Federation is, and remembers that the Ford Mustang used to be a fast car.

If you remember that Germany used to be one country, then it became two countries, and now is back to one country...then you win the "old fart" title.
This is true, besides mod's certainly aren't the only topic around here. Also, for those of us who own an automatic, we run out of modification options sooner then those with manuals. That makes me wish I had a manual, but that's what my GSX-R 750 is for!
Old 02-26-2002, 02:21 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Old 02-26-2002, 02:29 PM

Buahah, indeed.

Once you get one mod, you'll see the improvement and want even more. And no one can get enough of a good thing so you're better off not starting hehe.

Oh and there are plenty of GXE/GLE owners..
Old 02-26-2002, 03:14 PM

why mods?

From my perspective there are at least three kinds of mods listed here. There are those who want better performance, handling or power. There are those who accessorize their cars (alternate lighting, caliper painting, indiglo dials, door sills, etc.). Lastly there are those who view there cars as their home (installing tv's, etc.).

Of course there are people who fall into more than one category. I consider myself in the first category although I've only done a little so far.

I believe anybody who mods their car gets a great deal of personal satisfaction out of doing this themselves. And that is sufficient justification.
Old 02-26-2002, 03:29 PM

It's all about priorities. Now that I have a house, I think more about what furniture to buy next or how am I going to come up with $30K to remodel the kitchen. Ten years ago, I was heavily modding my Mustang and I didn't have a care beyond that. I'm happy with my car and don't want to mess with it too much, but that mod bug still resides within.
Old 02-26-2002, 04:06 PM

Couldn't agree more

Originally posted by alembicf1x
It's all about priorities. Now that I have a house, I think more about what furniture to buy next or how am I going to come up with $30K to remodel the kitchen. Ten years ago, I was heavily modding my Mustang and I didn't have a care beyond that. I'm happy with my car and don't want to mess with it too much, but that mod bug still resides within.
It's not that there is anything wrong with modding. I just have other things to spend my money and time on. I figure, if I make enouph money, I can just buy a car out of the box that is very fast M3,540,gs400/430 ...

... but the mod bug is biting at me. I figure that if the next Max sucks, or the G35 doesn't live up to the hype. I may just buy a 6sp Max and "trick one out" again. But this time I will have much more cash to burn, ooh I'm getting all bothered just thinking about it!!!

31 married no kids.

To: dmarion, you are fine with the car as is, you may want to spice it just a bit with tint and a diamond gloss. Oh, and a Max is a Max, if someone has issues with the GLE or GXE, and treats you or anyone else poorly, then they aren't true Max fans, they are just ....

enjoy your car!!!
Old 02-26-2002, 04:06 PM

I’ve been asked to respond as the resident old fart, so here it is:

I see that you’re new here, dmarion, so let me tell you what I went through when I first joined
this forum. I was flamed unmercifully when I criticized the overdoing of mods. Frankly, I
surprised you’ ve been treated this well so far, even though they’re putting you on.

Mods, for the most part, are for our younger members. I feel it gives them a sense of
individuality, a statement that they’re finally on their own , even though the results of most mods
are either illegal, expensive, or with questionable advantages, as you say. The only real benefit of
performance mods is winning street races, which, as everyone knows, I abhor. You, being past
40, have no such agenda. So just scroll through the mod threads; there are many other good
reasons to visit this forum.
Old 02-26-2002, 04:15 PM

Actually, when I was born Germany was still one country, under the dictatorship of Adolf Hitler, Russia was part of the USSR, and there was no Ford Mustang. And I will proudly defend my "old fart" status. I am actually 65. If you would like, I will e-mail you my drivers license.
Old 02-26-2002, 04:17 PM

MODS are GAY
Old 02-26-2002, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by Magellan
Mods, for the most part, are for our younger members.
Since I called you out on this, I imagine I deserved getting lumped into a "younger members" category. As the great majority of "younger members" are in their teens and early twenties here, I am not in that category. I will suggest that, perhaps, mods are also for those older members who happen to enjoy working on cars. One might even call it a hobby. I strongly disagree that the only benefit of performance mods is winning street races. I do not engage in street races, but I do enjoy driving my Maxima at the track (while keeping it in a condition which allows for comfortable transportation of business colleagues). In that sense, perhaps I haven't "overmodified" but I believe I have gained significant self-satisfaction and mechnical education through working on my car (this car and my previous cars) which have both made it very beneficial for me as a well-rounded individual.

For the record, I intended no offense in my "old fart" categorization and would not in any way have ever been part of flaming you for your criticism of "overdoing of mods" (I could really care less about the board's members' personal opinions). I only brought it up since you have, more often than not, pointed out your seniority. I hope you did not take offense. I will brush off being lumped into the youngster category and do not intend to become further defensive regarding your opinion of modifications as we are all entitled to our opinions.

I acknowledge that you may feel that 30-somethings are also in the "younger members" category...which, of course, you are entitled to feel. I hate to think, however, that in a few years my agenda will change so dramatically that I will lose interest in one of my favorite hobbies just as a result of being "past 40."

EDITED: I see from you last post that perhaps even those 40-somethings and 50-somethings are in the "younger members" category for you and I apologize.

Oh, and you win the "old fart" title.
Old 02-26-2002, 04:25 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dmarion

I'm a Gle owner with basically no mods (just intake and tires) and unless you are an adrenaline junkie there is no real need to modify anything. I am addicted to speed but thats only part of the reason I'm here. Org has all the info you could possibly want to know about the maxima.

If you want my advice, I say go with the 02 SE rather than the Gle. It is powerful enough as it is and there is no need to mod anything for your purposes.

Good luck
Old 02-26-2002, 04:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: What's the deal with this "mods" stuff anyway?

Actually, when I was born Germany was still one country, under the dictatorship of Adolf Hitler, Russia was part of the USSR, and there was no Ford Mustang. And I will proudly defend my "old fart" status. I am actually 65. If you would like, I will e-mail you my drivers license.
At first, I did not include the second comment about Germany being just one country before it was two...but I went back and added that quickly...just had this hunch you would have me on that one.
Old 02-26-2002, 04:43 PM

For the record, I intended no offense in my "old fart" categorization and would not in any way have ever been part of flaming you for your criticism of "overdoing of mods" (I could really care less about the board's members' personal opinions). I only brought it up since you have, more often than not, pointed out your seniority. I hope you did not take offense. I will brush off being lumped into the youngster category and do not intend to become further defensive regarding your opinion of modifications as we are all entitled to our opinions.

You're certainly excluded. That's why I added the comment "for the most part." I know there are members like you who mod their cars as a hobby. I used to do it myself. And I take no offense to anything you said. I've been called old fart so many times I've learned to just flatulate in response.
Old 02-26-2002, 04:49 PM

You're certainly excluded. That's why I added the comment "for the most part." I know there are members like you who mod their cars as a hobby. I used to do it myself. And I take no offense to anything you said. I've been called old fart so many times I've learned to just flatulate in response.

Have great evening Magellen. I will enjoy mine knowing that I am not there to hear your response, personally.
Old 02-26-2002, 05:08 PM
Maxima06071

WOW, Well I know that and I'm only 16, man when did you start driving 3? dang you little wipper snappers!

Old 02-26-2002, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by Maxima06071
WOW, Well I know that and I'm only 16, man when did you start driving 3? dang you little wipper snappers!
I didn't say..."know that"...I said "remember that" and I meant to suggest remember as a result of directly experiencing it. Sorry for the confusion. I would be horribly disappointed if you didn't actually know that information (although, no doubt, there a few people wondering what the hell we're talking about).
Old 02-26-2002, 05:17 PM

"Old Farts" and Mods

I expect that I would be considered one of those at 47. However, I have a 2k1 SE and my wife has a 2k1 GLE. I have a few mods on mine ( FSTB, ADCO RSB, K&N Filter and RT High Flow CAT). They all contribute to modestly increased performance and handling. Frankly, I do those for self - entertainment; I don't race, but, I like the ability to extricate myself from disadvantagious situations. There is alot of excellent information on this site, mods or no mods. The fact that the majority of members are a bit younger than me is of no consequence. Ask me about the 1966 GTO I modded the hell out of and had a blast with when I was teen or the 1978 T/A I had later; everyone likes some spice in their life and some do it , in part, with cars.

Sent with a Macintosh G4 running OS 10.1.3.
Old 02-26-2002, 05:38 PM
Maxima06071

Re: Re: Re: Re: What's the deal with this "mods" stuff anyway?

I didn't say..."know that"...I said "remember that" and I meant to suggest remember as a result of directly experiencing it. Sorry for the confusion. I would be horribly disappointed if you didn't actually know that information (although, no doubt, there a few people wondering what the hell we're talking about).
True.

Old 02-26-2002, 05:39 PM

"Old Farts" and Mods

I expect that I would be considered one of those at 47. However, I have a 2k1 SE and my wife has a 2k1 GLE. I have a few mods on mine ( FSTB, ADCO RSB, K&N Filter and RT High Flow CAT). They all contribute to modestly increased performance and handling. Frankly, I do those for self - entertainment; I don't race, but, I like the ability to extricate myself from disadvantagious situations. There is alot of excellent information on this site, mods or no mods. The fact that the majority of members are a bit younger than me is of no consequence. Ask me about the 1966 GTO I modded the hell out of and had a blast with when I was teen or the 1978 T/A I had later; everyone likes some spice in their life and some do it , in part, with cars.

Sent with a Macintosh G4 running OS 10.1.3.
Old 02-26-2002, 05:48 PM

What's the hype with mods? Who knows. Everyone has different reasons. For me, it's just to make it look different and better from the Maximas in my neighborhood
Old 02-26-2002, 06:45 PM

I’ve been asked to respond as the resident old fart, so here it is:

I see that you’re new here, dmarion, so let me tell you what I went through when I first joined
this forum. I was flamed unmercifully when I criticized the overdoing of mods. Frankly, I
surprised you’ ve been treated this well so far, even though they’re putting you on.

So just scroll through the mod threads; there are many other good
reasons to visit this forum.
Perhaps they know I'm a NY Rangers fan and feel sorry for me since those Strangers look to be missing the playoffs for, ah, the 5th year in a row?

Nevertheless, I too have battle scares from usenet and such. But your point of other good reasons to visit this forum is well-taken. Between the mods posts which obviously don't apply, I've enjoyed the the other posts that I can relate to better. As for the "mod" boys, I find it interesting and even entertaining to see what they do to their Max's. Without a little diversity, we'd all be driving Fords
Old 02-26-2002, 07:10 PM

hey this is not age issue. As far as I see, there're different kinds of ppl here on .org, different age, income, family status. You do what you want to do. I am still a college student at 24, and this is my 1st brand new car. It is the most I could afford, and while in school, cant dream about mods. But proudly tell everyone at school and at work some pics here what can become of a Maxima.
Old 02-26-2002, 07:34 PM

remembers that the Ford Mustang used to be a fast car.[/size]
Hmm....Stock GTs own Stock max's and modded GTs own modded Max's
Old 02-26-2002, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by Burton069

Your sig pic has been saved to my hardrive
Old 02-26-2002, 07:58 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: What's the deal with this "mods" stuff anyway?

Originally posted by Ludacris

Your sig pic has been saved to my hardrive
Yeah its hot. I love Mustangs...and Max's
Old 02-26-2002, 08:11 PM

Who said anything about the Maxima being fast...certainly not I. In addition, I have certainly never compared a Mustang GT to a Maxima.
Old 02-26-2002, 08:13 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What's the deal with this "mods" stuff anyway?

Yeah its hot. I love Mustangs...and Max's
i hate fords. better go with GM, man. Camaro SS, or TransAm or Firebird, whichever one has 6 spd and LT1 V8.
Old 02-26-2002, 08:28 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

hmmm

I'm a mod. And I love deals and stuff.
Old 02-26-2002, 08:40 PM

According to my local Sunday newspaper, roughly 20-25% of old farts plunking 60-70k for new Lexus or Mercedes Benz autos are also dropping anywhere from $5k to $15k for brakes, wheels, spoilers, audio systems. I am sorry to tell all of you that it is not a case of age, it is a case of individuality. We do have great cars and we will probably never plunk down the same amount of cash these guys are willing or able to. I am sure we also get more bang for our buck.
MOD ON.
Old 02-27-2002, 07:01 AM

Originally posted by dmarion

Signed,

I have a wife, family w/ 3 kids, and a GXE. But, for me it's about a few things...

1) Pulling away from the stop light and knowing not many are going to be able to pull away with me-that's my competitive side.
2) Speed turns me on! It's an adrenaline rush-on any given day I do 110+ in rush hour on the way to work-just for fun. It's the next best thing to SEX for me.
3) Once you start modding and feel the power difference, it's an addiction. You want more!
Old 02-27-2002, 09:45 AM
Bandwagon Lover

Originally posted by Stikya

I have a wife, family w/ 3 kids, and a GXE. But, for me it's about a few things...

1) Pulling away from the stop light and knowing not many are going to be able to pull away with me-that's my competitive side.
2) Speed turns me on! It's an adrenaline rush-on any given day I do 110+ in rush hour on the way to work-just for fun. It's the next best thing to SEX for me.
3) Once you start modding and feel the power difference, it's an addiction. You want more!
110 in rush hour huh? Really poor judgement. Not that I'm afraid of "go fast", but, not while there are hundreds of other idiots jockeying for position. Not trying to be a harda$$ or burst your bubble, but, when I'm driving around with my kids and someone passes me at high speed, it tends to pi$$ me off a bit. Taking chances with your life is one thing, taking chances with yours and others is not appropriate.

Sorry..I'll get off my soap box now...
Old 02-27-2002, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by Audtatious

110 in rush hour huh? Really poor judgement. Not that I'm afraid of "go fast", but, not while there are hundreds of other idiots jockeying for position. Not trying to be a harda$$ or burst your bubble, but, when I'm driving around with my kids and someone passes me at high speed, it tends to pi$$ me off a bit. Taking chances with your life is one thing, taking chances with yours and others is not appropriate.

Sorry..I'll get off my soap box now...
In my defense: Yes, while I won't deny it's danger no matter when or how you do 110MPH, I would say it is fairly safe given my circumstances...

I'm on a wide 6 lane highway, where traffic tends to break-up, with large car gaps due to a light right before the straight stretch. So if I'm toward the front of the pack at the light, I can easily dart out and get up to 110+, and pass only one or two cars, at a normal speed, before I'm out in the open to fly.

I'm crazy; but not oblivious to human safety (mine or others). After 14 years of driving (w/ a speed addiction) I've still never been the instigator of an accident. Yes, crazy; but cautious w/ it.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:12 AM
is invisible

I know for a fact that i30 KRAB is retired. His car has an endless list of mods.

Quick Reply: What's the deal with this "mods" stuff anyway?