5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Fastest Max around?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 04:05 PM

Fastest Max around?

I've been lurking for about 6 months now...have a 2k1 SE 5spd and was wondering. After seeing Y2Kev's mail about 9 sec....kidding of course, but got me to wondering.

Is there a 10sec Max out there?

JD
Old 02-26-2002, 04:12 PM

I drive a 9 second maxima.
Old 02-26-2002, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by yo_its_ok

To drive to the mailbox down the street does not count.

No my maxima is fast.
Really it is.
Besides the mailbox down the street is 2.1 seconds.
Old 02-26-2002, 04:23 PM

1/8mi ?
x2
Old 02-26-2002, 04:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Someone mention a RWD Maxima?

fastest and quickest are two different things

fastest maxima probably does 150+

Quickest FWD Maxima does low 12s.
Quickest RWD Maxima does 11s ?
Old 02-26-2002, 05:08 PM

g/f is sleeping and I don't feel like sleeping.
Old 02-26-2002, 05:45 PM
RBa

As quoted by Jesse in FnF,"Tune the NOS timer and you'll be doing 9's".... Or something like that!!...
Old 02-26-2002, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by RBa
As quoted by Jesse in FnF,"Tune the NOS timer and you'll be doing 9's".... Or something like that!!...
Yeah to bad that pos runs high 14's.

Damn thats so sad.
Old 02-27-2002, 01:38 AM
amer

What?

I'm a car newbie, but I own a really damn good 2k2 max...

WHAT DO YOU GUYS MEAN BY A 10 SECOND CAR ???

Old 02-27-2002, 01:49 AM
Banned

Re: What?

Originally posted by amer

ten seconds to the 1/4 mile, which is ALMOST impossible for a max
Old 02-27-2002, 09:59 AM

Re: Re: What?

Originally posted by PHAT2k1A.E.

ten seconds to the 1/4 mile, which is ALMOST impossible for a max
It can get down to 7's or 6's if you really do alot, just like the civics that are on the strip or the crx's that run 6's. Just takes alot of money and time.
Old 02-27-2002, 11:06 AM

Re: Re: Re: What?

Originally posted by max'n out

It can get down to 7's or 6's if you really do alot, just like the civics that are on the strip or the crx's that run 6's. Just takes alot of money and time.
Those civics have not a single original part on them, including the frames, which are replaced by hollow tube frames. They are completely rebuilt from the ground up to be light and fast. The Max simply could not do it, just way too much weight. Maybe if you replaced all front end body panels with carbon fiber, gutted it completely, then cut the car in half and added a wheelie bar in place of the back end, lowered it to where it was only 1/2" off the ground, completely redesigned the front bumper for areo, cut off the roof and replaced it with a carbon fiber shell and the windshield with some areodynamic lexan completely rebuilt the engine for racing, put a race tranny in, custom twin turbos, NOS, then maybe, just maybe you could run a 6-7 run. That is, if the POS simply didn't fall apart, like plenty of those Civics. I love watching NIRA on Speed Vision when those civics POP on the start line and black smoke starts pouring out...
Old 02-27-2002, 11:39 AM

Man... u guys r talking about 6-7 sec 1/4 miles???
Let not forget... we have street cars, not drag cars.
I'd be happy to get the Max into 12's or 13's.
Anything about that would make the drivabilityl level very untolerable.
Hummm... one can always put the Max shell on a Skyline GTR chassis
Old 02-27-2002, 12:24 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: What?

Originally posted by SithMax

Those civics have not a single original part on them, including the frames, which are replaced by hollow tube frames. They are completely rebuilt from the ground up to be light and fast. The Max simply could not do it, just way too much weight. Maybe if you replaced all front end body panels with carbon fiber, gutted it completely, then cut the car in half and added a wheelie bar in place of the back end, lowered it to where it was only 1/2" off the ground, completely redesigned the front bumper for areo, cut off the roof and replaced it with a carbon fiber shell and the windshield with some areodynamic lexan completely rebuilt the engine for racing, put a race tranny in, custom twin turbos, NOS, then maybe, just maybe you could run a 6-7 run. That is, if the POS simply didn't fall apart, like plenty of those Civics. I love watching NIRA on Speed Vision when those civics POP on the start line and black smoke starts pouring out...
Yeh but there still caled civics But really a street max with alot of work could easy get to the 10's if you really do it right.
Old 02-27-2002, 12:31 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What?

Yeh but there still caled civics But really a street max with alot of work could easy get to the 10's if you really do it right.
Alot of work... yes... easy... not!
BTW, what r u doing in the 1/4? U got some good $h!t under that hood!
Old 02-27-2002, 12:39 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What?

Originally posted by SFMax20SE

Alot of work... yes... easy... not!
BTW, what r u doing in the 1/4? U got some good $h!t under that hood!
I woun't run it till It's done. But look for my post tonight or tommrow about what's been done to the auto tranny.
Old 02-27-2002, 01:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What?

First people should shoot for the 11s... THEN worry about 10s. In fact, there are hardly enough people hitting 12s to really be focusing on 11s. But I still don't think a street Max could do 10s. It'd have to be gutted and completely race tuned with forced induction and NOS on drag slicks. It would drive for **** (normal driving, not racing) and wouldn't come close to passing emissions. S/Ced Maxs with RT cat sometimes have trouble, and they run low 13s. Maybe with a standalone aftermarket ECU? Settings for street, settings for drag, settings for road course? Swap out the exhaust and the S/C pulley, turn on the laughing gas slap on some slicks, change the ECU settings and it's drag time? Just about anything is possible, I suppose.
Old 02-27-2002, 03:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What?

First people should shoot for the 11s... THEN worry about 10s. In fact, there are hardly enough people hitting 12s to really be focusing on 11s. But I still don't think a street Max could do 10s. It'd have to be gutted and completely race tuned with forced induction and NOS on drag slicks. It would drive for **** (normal driving, not racing) and wouldn't come close to passing emissions. S/Ced Maxs with RT cat sometimes have trouble, and they run low 13s. Maybe with a standalone aftermarket ECU? Settings for street, settings for drag, settings for road course? Swap out the exhaust and the S/C pulley, turn on the laughing gas slap on some slicks, change the ECU settings and it's drag time? Just about anything is possible, I suppose.
A resnably well manored max runing 10's could be done. Your right try 11's first. But it could be done resnably easy, not cheap but easy, you'd need, 20lbs of boost, cams, rods, pistons, port, tranny, susspension. Things like that all redone. And yes a new ecu is mandatory with all that. You'd have to get the haltech ecu. Your right prob would not pass emitions, but supras run 10's on the street so really it depends whre you live and the laws on emitions.
Old 02-27-2002, 04:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What?

A resnably well manored max runing 10's could be done. Your right try 11's first. But it could be done resnably easy, not cheap but easy, you'd need, 20lbs of boost, cams, rods, pistons, port, tranny, susspension. Things like that all redone. And yes a new ecu is mandatory with all that. You'd have to get the haltech ecu. Your right prob would not pass emitions, but supras run 10's on the street so really it depends whre you live and the laws on emitions.
Somebody came up with prototype cams but they destroyed idle, making the car undrivable. 20lbs of boost would destroy the engine without a COMPLETE overhaul, metal gaskets, strengthened EVERYTHING, etc. And NO it really isn't EASY. It's a lot of work. Trial and Error sorta thing. Just ask somebody like MardiGrasMax. Completely rebuilding a car, and doing mucho custom work to compensate for the lack of aftermarket parts to boot, is never a simple task. And damn straight it isn't cheap... It's possible, but not cheap and not easy.
It's true some Supras that run 10s are streetable and do pass emissions, but you have to take into consideration that emissions are based on the kind of car. A Supra because of its low production numbers has more leniency than a more common Maxima. It's all based on an averages system. If all cars were subject to the same regulations then Maxs and Supras would have no problem so long as SUVs pushed those tolerances high. Also, I belong to a Supra mailing list and message board, they know PLENTY of neat tricks to get around it, so most of them don't even worry about it. But it's too bad because a Supra won second place in the Sport Compact Car Supercar Competition. Why is that too bad? It should have won first, but got second because it failed emissions.
Old 02-27-2002, 04:57 PM

Yeah the Max is too heavy. You can easily get it to about 12-14 seconds (you can check out some car magazines that have the Maxima racing the Altima), but to get it under 10, would require some work. You would have to do what those civics do and gut the sucker. Personally I think if you really want to do that, why not just buy a cheap civic instead of spending $25k+ luxury/sport car?
Old 02-27-2002, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by Trunksu
Yeah the Max is too heavy. You can easily get it to about 12-14 seconds (you can check out some car magazines that have the Maxima racing the Altima), but to get it under 10, would require some work. You would have to do what those civics do and gut the sucker. Personally I think if you really want to do that, why not just buy a cheap civic instead of spending $25k+ luxury/sport car?
Well, one thing that hasn't been considered, is the new 3.5 litre... Weight is still an issue, but there's a good chance that the new VQ has got the power and design potential. Maybe transplant the short block into a 4th gen like MardiGrasMax thinks could be possible? Who knows.
But under that same idea, why spend $125,000 on a Ferrari or Z8, when you can just get a used Civic and rebuild it? It's all about doing something that hasn't been done... But first there has to be somebody who wants to try, and in this case I don't think there is anybody who really wants to attempt 10s in a Max.
Old 02-27-2002, 06:53 PM

Re: What?

Originally posted by amer

Impossible! Unless you decide not to buy a 2nd maxima and put it into one car! and plan to blow huge cash to keep it running...

welcome and you made a wise car purchase!
rob

2k2 SE 6Speed
Old 02-27-2002, 07:13 PM

For sombody that does this kind of modifaction everyday, it could be done just as easy as any other engine that would need the same kind of stuff. Now I will agree that for one of us, not easy. But for a pro thats going all out, I don't see it being any biger than any other car that needs custom peice made. And really if you'd do somthing like that it's unlikly your gonna use standard upgrade parts sold.

Now for the guy that keeps saying "weight" over and over, you know a porche 911 runs 12's stock and weighs 3200lbs. I think the max weighs right in that area, so don't put so much into the weight problem. Strip the interior get rid of unessacay stuff no prob.

Stop saying impossible, it's all possible. Alot of work, expensive, no doubt.
Old 02-27-2002, 07:58 PM

For sombody that does this kind of modifaction everyday, it could be done just as easy as any other engine that would need the same kind of stuff. Now I will agree that for one of us, not easy. But for a pro thats going all out, I don't see it being any biger than any other car that needs custom peice made. And really if you'd do somthing like that it's unlikly your gonna use standard upgrade parts sold.

Now for the guy that keeps saying "weight" over and over, you know a porche 911 runs 12's stock and weighs 3200lbs. I think the max weighs right in that area, so don't put so much into the weight problem. Strip the interior get rid of unessacay stuff no prob.

Alright this is getting too complicated. I'm totally sure it's possible, so someone go out and do it! I'll do it if people are willing to donate money to me, so make all checks payable to ...
Old 02-27-2002, 08:59 PM

Well, look at what's out there and you'll see that a lot of import drag cars DO use what's out there, whenever possible. It's cheaper, quicker, and easier than making the parts yourself. And I think we can all agree that quantum physics is not easy, but there are people who made careers out of it. And guess what? They still run into problems. Turning a 15.5 second front wheel drive mid-sized sedan into a 10 second drag car is not "all in a days work" even for the experienced. Sure, they won't see it as amazingly challenging as, say, a 13 litre quad turbocharged 6 second dragster, but it's not just a walk in the park. If it were, then there would be more 12 second Maxs out there because plenty of people have thrown money at their cars without much holding back. And the people with the fastest Maxs have spent enough to pay for their cars twice over and are extremely knowledgable.

As far as weight being a concern, it's a HUGE concern. Yes, a Porsche 911 Turbo can do 12s stock. But it's also got one of the best designed engines under the sun (a 3.6l water cooled F6 with parallel twin turbos), a perfect 50/50 weight distribution along with rear engine placement, AWD, and extremely well designed aerodynamics. So weight becomes much less of a concern for the Porsche. (by the way, it's 3300lbs.) Big non-aerodynamic FWD cars were not meant to be fast. The fastest FWD Nissan ever? A Nissan Sentra SE-R. It ran a 9.83.
http://members.aol.com/ghettomax1/index2.htm
So do I think it can be done? Yes. I said that before. But if you notice what I said was I don't think a street Max can do it. That Sentra is no where near a daily driver, or even a car that should or could be on normal roads.
Old 02-27-2002, 11:10 PM

Stop your b!tchin all of you...Just get a Skyline R33 4 Door, upgrade to a T88-34D or HKS T51RKAI boost it to 2.0 bar, and run 10s all day.
Well, if we're going to play that game, I'll take an R34 GT-R V-Spec thank you very much... Or a custom 350ZTT... Or a Supercharged NSX... Or my ULTIMATE dream machine: A free-energy based flying car that can break the sound barrier and has a system so powerful you can *still* hear it, even past Mach 1...
Old 02-27-2002, 11:17 PM

Where's the smiley when I need it.
Old 02-28-2002, 07:37 AM

Well, if we're going to play that game, I'll take an R34 GT-R V-Spec thank you very much... Or a custom 350ZTT... Or a Supercharged NSX... Or my ULTIMATE dream machine: A free-energy based flying car that can break the sound barrier and has a system so powerful you can *still* hear it, even past Mach 1...