5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cleaned Throttle body, world of difference

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 03:22 PM

cause, i'm going to trade the CAI for some springs (H&R). and i kinda like the quiet of the stock intake, i may just go ooglie.

and seriously, i didn't really feel a difference in the car with the cai in. i'm thinking the sound makes some people think it's a lot faster. but i did have fun revving at lights at civics.
Old 03-03-2002, 04:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by victor
cause, i'm going to trade the CAI for some springs (H&R). and i kinda like the quiet of the stock intake, i may just go ooglie.

and seriously, i didn't really feel a difference in the car with the cai in. i'm thinking the sound makes some people think it's a lot faster. but i did have fun revving at lights at civics.
Isn't that the truth! I don't know if I am going crazy, but I almost feel that my k&N cone intake makes my car somewhat sluggish between 2k - 3k. Maybe it is the noise making the car sound faster than it is??? I does give the car a mean sound, but is it really worth it???

By the way I like your ride! Looks exactly like mine! Did you lower that thing? I am thinking about lowering mine, but I am not sure if I am going to go with H&R's or Eibach's
Old 03-03-2002, 04:58 PM

Re: Re: Re: Threw 'Service Engine Soon' light

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

I really really hope he did not do that.

Dixit
No. Hell No. I'm very mechanically oriented and disconnected the rubber heater hose looking thing right off the TB and sprayed it into the TB only! Still threw SERVICE ENGINE SOON. My car is not running like it used to. I feel it jacked with my A/Tranny for some reason. Like I said before I think it would be more beneficial around every 60-75k.
Old 03-03-2002, 05:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Threw 'Service Engine Soon' light

Originally posted by HondaKilLR

No. Hell No. I'm very mechanically oriented and disconnected the rubber heater hose looking thing right off the TB and sprayed it into the TB only! Still threw SERVICE ENGINE SOON. My car is not running like it used to. I feel it jacked with my A/Tranny for some reason. Like I said before I think it would be more beneficial around every 60-75k.
If the SES light is still on, then take the negative cable off overnight and see if that clears it and takes care of the problem. Cause I did it on this car, my brothers mazda mx6, my friend 99 gs300, and no problems.

Dixit
Old 03-03-2002, 05:10 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Threw 'Service Engine Soon' light

Originally posted by HondaKilLR

it could just be a coincidence.

i know, mines came on one night out of the blue, one of my o2 sensors went bad, i went in early the next day and they changed it out for me.
Old 03-03-2002, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by maxman00

Isn't that the truth! I don't know if I am going crazy, but I almost feel that my k&N cone intake makes my car somewhat sluggish between 2k - 3k. Maybe it is the noise making the car sound faster than it is??? I does give the car a mean sound, but is it really worth it???

By the way I like your ride! Looks exactly like mine! Did you lower that thing? I am thinking about lowering mine, but I am not sure if I am going to go with H&R's or Eibach's
nah, my sig is photoshopped. i'm going to go with the h&r cause of the ride quality of them. the eibach i hear are a little harsh.

so you gonna take your intake out too? i'm going to go with the ooglie cai, to see how that works.
Old 03-03-2002, 05:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by victor

so you gonna take your intake out too? i'm going to go with the ooglie cai, to see how that works.
Please let me know when you do that. I have had the cone intake for a month or two and I honestly think the car feels sluggish at lower rpms. Do you think it is in my head? I always thought that the intake was supposed to make the car more responsive.
Old 03-05-2002, 10:38 AM

Yeah ran like crap for a couple mins while I emptied the can on it. It barely stays on without the airbox. Also if you open up the throttle, it wants to die, but spray that crap in there and it acts like fuel and revs like a ****, kept doing that while the can emptied and black smoke came out the exhaust (that might could have been supressed if I did not remove the stock y and the stock cat and replaced it with a cattman y and straight pipe with no cat, hhehee)

Runs like a charm now. No hesitation. Smooth accelaration.

Dixit
I think is is a very bad idea to spray the cleaner into the TB while the car is running, because:

(1) it can set off a trouble code for any one of three O2 sensors, or the MAF (the cleaner changes the air / fuel ratio while it is burning)
(2) you can suck in any dirt by the open TB
(3) it does not clean better than the "tooth brush" method

Why risk it?

Use a white rag, and a tooth brush WITH THE ENGINE OFF, and you won't have any worries. (or trips to the dealer)

For full (and safe) instruction have a look at my site: www.motorvate.ca , click on Engine, and then Throttle Body Clean.

Happy cleaning!
Old 03-05-2002, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by MaxVQ

I think is is a very bad idea to spray the cleaner into the TB while the car is running, because:

(1) it can set off a trouble code for any one of three O2 sensors, or the MAF (the cleaner changes the air / fuel ratio while it is burning)
(2) you can suck in any dirt by the open TB
(3) it does not clean better than the "tooth brush" method

Why risk it?

Use a white rag, and a tooth brush WITH THE ENGINE OFF, and you won't have any worries. (or trips to the dealer)

For full (and safe) instruction have a look at my site: www.motorvate.ca , click on Engine, and then Throttle Body Clean.

Happy cleaning!
I dont agree with you, setting off codes is no big deal, reset the ECU and you cleared. As far as dirt is concered, we are talking about 4mins, and on top of that the car is not moving. I dont believe it will pick up dirt that is harmful. Secondly, a filter cant filter micron size pollens anyway. If anything using a rag leaves "strands" and other small particles that a FILTER CAN remove, and you just left them behind.

That is why i believe in open throttle body while cleaning. No harm no foul.

Dixit
Old 03-05-2002, 12:18 PM

I dont agree with you, setting off codes is no big deal, reset the ECU and you cleared. As far as dirt is concered, we are talking about 4mins, and on top of that the car is not moving. I dont believe it will pick up dirt that is harmful. Secondly, a filter cant filter micron size pollens anyway. If anything using a rag leaves "strands" and other small particles that a FILTER CAN remove, and you just left them behind.

That is why i believe in open throttle body while cleaning. No harm no foul.

Dixit
OK, to each his own.

BTW have fun reseting your ECU.
Old 03-05-2002, 12:27 PM

OK, to each his own.

BTW have fun reseting your ECU.
Um reseting the ECU? you think that is hard? Take off the negative cable for couple hours. Shiet, if you dont have a toolset to do that, then you dont need to be messing with the throttle body clean.

Dixit
Old 03-05-2002, 12:52 PM

Regardless

the point is: cleaning your throttle body every 30K is beneficial. Both of you said that. So when I put on my fifty dollar Berk intake(thank you Coby), I will clean my throttle body.
Old 03-05-2002, 03:26 PM

Um reseting the ECU? you think that is hard? Take off the negative cable for couple hours. Shiet, if you dont have a toolset to do that, then you dont need to be messing with the throttle body clean.

Dixit
Hmmm... I not trying to pick a fight. See the in my reply?

Why are you talking about tools? If you are talking about what I can do with tools, have a look at my site www.motorvate.ca

Anyways, my point was: I think it is nessary to reset your ECU, and have the computer relearn the engine everytime you clean your TB. Plus how can you live without your car "for a couple hours"?

You see it different. That's cool.

BTW, have fun resetting your ECU
Old 03-05-2002, 04:07 PM

Hmmm... I not trying to pick a fight. See the in my reply?

Why are you talking about tools? If you are talking about what I can do with tools, have a look at my site www.motorvate.ca

Anyways, my point was: I think it is nessary to reset your ECU, and have the computer relearn the engine everytime you clean your TB. Plus how can you live without your car "for a couple hours"?

You see it different. That's cool.

BTW, have fun resetting your ECU
My bad, I aint mean to snap, I aint see the .

But yeah, aint no biggie to reset the ECU. I actually heard that it is good to let the computer RELEARN once in a while. Especially with a new clean TB.

Dixit
Old 03-05-2002, 09:26 PM

My bad, I aint mean to snap, I aint see the .

But yeah, aint no biggie to reset the ECU. I actually heard that it is good to let the computer RELEARN once in a while. Especially with a new clean TB.

Dixit
Cool, let's go for beer. The GOOD Canadian stuff, not the other
Old 03-06-2002, 06:23 AM

Cool, let's go for beer. The GOOD Canadian stuff, not the other
How bout we have some beers (Smirnouf Ice) while working on the car? Cant get better than that. Then have a couple after the job watching TV on my 60" screen?

Dixit
Old 01-11-2003, 06:40 PM

Good thread ...
Old 09-09-2003, 04:24 PM

i have a breather waiting to be put on i was trying to read up to see the pros and cons.... also make sure u get a breather with a big enough hole to fit on the valve side... i have 2 breathers both connecting ends r way to small.... guess i need to look for a bigger one!

will
Old 09-09-2003, 04:59 PM

This is how I do it: Car off, intake removed to the TB. I get a towel and hold it under the TB, then I get my TB cleaner and just spray all around the TB, letting all the excess run out and onto the towel. I keep spraying the stuff until no black comes out of the TB and onto the towel. After I let it dry and re-install the intake fire up the car. I get a little bit of black smoke just about every time I clean it. I use a whole can of throttle body cleaner each time I do this.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:51 PM

Beside accumulating sludges/deposits in the injectors, spraying cleaner into the throttle body could cause premature oxygen sensors failure.

***edit typo*** the "in" should be "on" from the above sentence.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:03 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally Posted by VMaximus02
Beside accumulating sludges/deposits in the injectors, spraying cleaner into the throttle body could cause premature oxygen sensors failure.
Newer TB cleaners contain no alcohol and CLAIM to be O2 and cat safe.

"Accumulating sludges/deposits in the injectors"? Explain how that can happen please.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Conecarver

I decided not to take any chances cleaning mine and losing pieces or spraying fluid inside. I cleaned up the spare one BriGuyMax gave me and swapped it in instead. That and tightening the throttle cable gave a very noticable improvment in throttle response.

Once removed I was shocked to find what 80Kmi looks like on the upper plenums. Got a spare clean plenum too for my next project

Old 09-09-2003, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
I decided not to take any chances cleaning mine and losing pieces or spraying fluid inside. I cleaned up the spare one BriGuyMax gave me and swapped it in instead. That and tightening the throttle cable gave a very noticable improvment in throttle response.

Once removed I was shocked to find what 80Kmi looks like on the upper plenums. Got a spare clean plenum too for my next project

When you swapped out the TBs did you use a new gasket or use the same one? I was just curious if I was to do the same, would I need a new tb gasket? Is the one on the 4th gen maximas a metal gasket?
Old 09-10-2003, 04:03 AM

Ice- FYI, I think you had the terms mixed up in an earlier post, since you were referring to the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system (PCV) the whole time, not the EGR system...

One disadvantage of disconnecting the PCV system (especially the valve cover->intake manifold connection) is that the idle may be a little weird (ECU may compensate though), due to the fact that the engine management expects a vacuum leak in the form of the PCV valve/hose connection... call it a "calibrated vacuum leak". Removing this "calibrated vacuum leak" probably won't cause too much trouble, but you never know...

If the crankcase vapors pressurize too much (they shouldn't if connected to a breather filter, but then again, they're not being sucked up like they normally are), those crankcase gases will mix with the oil and acidify it (cause the additives to wear out faster...). Also, higher crankcase pressures cause higher oil pressures, and the possibility of blowing oil seals if the seals are weak...
This alone, FYI, is a good reason to remove your PCV valve and clean it/check it. Too high of a crankcase pressure can promote leakage of oil. I recall on a previous car ('90 Mazda 626) changing the PCV valve made a noticeable decrease in oil smell (it'd leak a little oil after revving it up above 3K RPM or so--I could smell it. Then again, I do believe it had worn piston rings, so it had more crankcase blow-by gases inside than most...)

Anyway, this is all I've learned over the past couple years about the PCV system
Old 09-10-2003, 05:43 AM
Conecarver

Originally Posted by Menacer
When you swapped out the TBs did you use a new gasket or use the same one? I was just curious if I was to do the same, would I need a new tb gasket? Is the one on the 4th gen maximas a metal gasket?
Between the TB and the plenum intake is a paper gasket on the 4th gen. I just reused it since I didn't have a spare. Removal is pretty easy (toughest thing I've done though). 3 hoses, 2 sensors, 2 throttle cables, 4 bolts to remove. Then removal of the entire TB plate is simple and you really can clean it.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:50 AM

I got Fuel injector service done at 15K by my oil change garage and he said the throtle body was mad dirty- It ran considerably better after about
1/2 hour of black smoke- gotta keep up on this
every 12-15K intervalas specially w/ intake
Old 09-10-2003, 07:09 AM

Huh... makes me wanna clean my TB...
How much does fuel injection service usually cost from a local mechanic?
Old 09-10-2003, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
I'm NOT trying to flame Dixit or anyone, but I have to question if this is a good idea.

You're basically liquifying all the carbon build up that accumulates in the throttle-body and intake manifold and turning it into a "sludge". This sludge is then drawn into the engine coating the intake valves and combustion chamber. Then this crap is slowly burned off in the combustion chamber, but in the meantime it's caked on the back of the intake valves and also scratching the cylinder walls. I've seen this crap and it's not great for reducing friction on moving parts. I forget the word Mechanical Engineers use, but this stuff has a rather large particle size. It is not going to simply combust and disappear out the exhaust.

I'm just wondering if this is going to cause more harm than good in the long run.

The throttle body is something that can be removed and cleaned, but you'll have to disconnect some coolant lines and that may require you drain the cooling system. However, if it comes time to do this, I would rather do that then allow all the carbon deposits to be injested by my engine.

Just my .02, which ain't worth much.
I have been told by Bankston Nissan service writer in Irving to spray the TB while engine is runing. Spraying inside the TB while the engine is off will create more problem later.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by spirilis
Huh... makes me wanna clean my TB...
How much does fuel injection service usually cost from a local mechanic?
It was $27.99- He said it should be done every 15K (If you have an intake it should be done every 15k-just cause you are blowin more dirt
n shyt in there)
It will prolong the life of your car- there are some people that ignore this simple maintenance and have clogged injectors by 60K - those gas treatments wont work then-
Old 09-10-2003, 01:55 PM

????? should you take off your plenum and clean it at regular intervals also???
Old 09-10-2003, 01:58 PM

Damn these old threads are creaping back to like like the GrimReeper.

Well I also did this again last night, but this time just cleaned it while it was off cause I cant turn the car on at the moment since I dont have the Oil lines capped off for the turbo, or for better point, no oil in the engine since the oil pan was dropped to get re-done. But man did I want to start it up, but then again no exhaust manifold, wouldnt be a smart thing to do, I will just wait to spray that stuff in there while the car is on.

But man there was some crap in there..... Making me thing I want to just remove the whole TB and clean it manually. But dont know how much is involved on that and is there set screws that need to be re-set like where the idle should be and all that fun stuff like on older cars. If its a 30min job to remove it and get it back on I will do it tonight.

Dixit
Old 09-10-2003, 07:27 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally Posted by spirilis
Ice- FYI, I think you had the terms mixed up in an earlier post, since you were referring to the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system (PCV) the whole time, not the EGR system...

One disadvantage of disconnecting the PCV system (especially the valve cover->intake manifold connection) is that the idle may be a little weird (ECU may compensate though), due to the fact that the engine management expects a vacuum leak in the form of the PCV valve/hose connection... call it a "calibrated vacuum leak". Removing this "calibrated vacuum leak" probably won't cause too much trouble, but you never know...

If the crankcase vapors pressurize too much (they shouldn't if connected to a breather filter, but then again, they're not being sucked up like they normally are), those crankcase gases will mix with the oil and acidify it (cause the additives to wear out faster...). Also, higher crankcase pressures cause higher oil pressures, and the possibility of blowing oil seals if the seals are weak...
This alone, FYI, is a good reason to remove your PCV valve and clean it/check it. Too high of a crankcase pressure can promote leakage of oil. I recall on a previous car ('90 Mazda 626) changing the PCV valve made a noticeable decrease in oil smell (it'd leak a little oil after revving it up above 3K RPM or so--I could smell it. Then again, I do believe it had worn piston rings, so it had more crankcase blow-by gases inside than most...)

Anyway, this is all I've learned over the past couple years about the PCV system
Whachu talk'n bout spirilis? Sorry had too.

Man it hurts just trying to remember what the hell I was about over a year ago.

Anyways, I said/meant PCV and it sounds like you agree?

Per ESM:
Positive Crankcase Ventilation
DESCRIPTION
NFEC0021
This system returns blow-by gas to the intake manifold.
The positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve is provided to conduct
crankcase blow-by gas to the intake manifold.
During partial throttle operation of the engine, the intake manifold
sucks the blow-by gas through the PCV valve.
Normally, the capacity of the valve is sufficient to handle any
blow-by and a small amount of ventilating air.
The ventilating air is then drawn from the air inlet tubes into the
crankcase. In this process the air passes through the hose connecting
air inlet tubes to rocker cover.
Under full-throttle condition, the manifold vacuum is insufficient to
draw the blow-by flow through the valve. The flow goes through the
hose connection in the reverse direction.
On vehicles with an excessively high blow-by, the valve does not
meet the requirement. This is because some of the flow will go
through the hose connection to the air inlet tubes under all
conditions.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:33 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Instead of removing the piece of the intake tract before the TB to spray the TB-cleaner in, you can just remove the crankcase breather tube from the intake tract and spray it in there while the engine is running. PLEASE do NOT spray TB-cleaner into the crankcase side, just the intake tract side. It should be EASIER to keep the car running, since the MAF will still be reading air flow.
Why not use some type of catch can system for resolving this issue? I built one for my CSVT, but am not exactly sure of the layout of the system for my VQ35DE...
Old 09-10-2003, 07:47 PM

Newer TB cleaners contain no alcohol and CLAIM to be O2 and cat safe.

"Accumulating sludges/deposits in the injectors"? Explain how that can happen please.
The "in" should be "on"...typo

I was referring to the sludges/deposits from cleaning of the throttle body
may get stuck ON the injectors which could clogged/effected the spraying pattern? I have no information to back my statement since my original thoughts were merely a speculaltion.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:49 PM

I decided to give cleaning the thotttle body a try. I run a firstone store so i had my lead tech remove the tube and spray throttle body cleaner into the throttle body while i kept the car running it wasen't too hard the only problem was it set a code for maf sensor. but it seemed to run better. i have 30k on a 2k2 auto the product i use is by wynns.
Old 09-11-2003, 04:22 PM

yup... DAMN, 1 year ago, haha, didn't notice that
I should go read some old AIM conversations from 2 years ago for the full taste & effect of Nostalgia.
Old 09-14-2003, 01:29 PM

HELP, cleaned Throttle Body and SES is on

I read Dixit's comments and I cleaned my throttle body. Now the engine idles at 1,000 rpm (instead of 750) and the Service Engine Soon light is on. I will disconnect my battery to reset the computer. Does anybody have any experience with this high idle and SES light? I double checked my cleaning job and very carefully wiped the edge of the butterfly valve just to make sure something wasn't restricting it from closing.
Old 09-14-2003, 02:09 PM

Did you start the car without the MAF plug into the MAF filter? Or did you just move it aside and start it? Cause if you unplugged it while you were cleaning it and started the car without it plugged in, that will throw the SES light for that MAF sensor.

Dixit
Old 09-14-2003, 03:59 PM

I thought this was an interesting thread to throw a couple comments on, even though I'm a 4th gen guy.

1) Obviously there's a difference of opinion of whether or not to spray throttle body cleaner into a running engine or not. And, as mentioned by one of the above posters, this extends to professional service mechanics too. Being from the old school, I know that a lot of guys used to use Seafoam engine cleaner to clean deposits off of engine internals like manifolds and intake valve faces. There are specific directions for adding it while the engine is running. Goes something like this: add the Seafoam slowly for about 30sec while engine is running,then add a large amount so that the engine stalls, then restart engine. I've done this before and large clouds of smoke come out of the tailpipe while running and after the restart. An automotive fixit column writer for our local paper, would go so far as to kill the engine with the final dose of Seafoam and leave the car to sit overnight to let the stuff soak in before restarting. Seafoam is less volatile than throttle body cleaner and might not totally evaporate overnight, so maybe there's something to this. Personally I'd be a bit nervous doing this with a modern fuel injected vehicle, although I believe the product claims to be safe for converters and 02 sensors.

2) Cleaned my throttle body last weekend. Toothbrush and rag method, with engine off. Although it helped some, I don't think the performance improvements were as great as when I completely disassembled and cleaned the IACV assembly. Lotta blow by residue in these components. I noticed that the car went through the high idle to low idle steps much more cleanly on cold starts,started faster, as well as more power off idle. IACV should be similar for gen 5 cars. Disclaimer: I have 121k on my 98 and you guys probably have a lot less miles and built up crap on your TB's, so results may vary.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:21 PM

I had a "fuel induction cleaning" service done to my car at some oil change/service station. It cost like $80. They spray some cleaner (probably throttle body cleaner) into the intake tract (not sure what parts) let it soak, then use a high power vacuum to suck it out.

I know they take the intake apart because the idiots didnt completely put it back together correctly.

They did clean it thoroughly however. I took the tube off in front of the throttle body to look at it, and it looked like brand new. No oils, residues, nothing.

As for performance? I dont know because my MAF was screwed up and after I replaced it, that was when all my power came back.

Quick Reply: Cleaned Throttle body, world of difference