5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 09:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Suspension

Is there anyone out there that has a sway bar and front and rear strut bar Im wondering how much of a difference will I feel? Should I lower my car first, and do I need both front and rear strut bars? Does it affect my tires in any way, as in does it put more weight and work on my tires when im making turns? I got a lot of questions but I need ppl with alot of answers, O yeah someone was telling me something about power steering cooler what would that be needed for? And admins yall should probaly make this a sticky.
Old 02-28-2002, 10:08 AM

Re: Suspension

Originally posted by 2000MilkedMax
Is there anyone out there that has a sway bar and front and rear strut bar Im wondering how much of a difference will I feel? Should I lower my car first, and do I need both front and rear strut bars? Does it affect my tires in any way, as in does it put more weight and work on my tires when im making turns? I got a lot of questions but I need ppl with alot of answers, O yeah someone was telling me something about power steering cooler what would that be needed for? And admins yall should probaly make this a sticky.
All you newbies should probably try SEARCHING. Just in case you are trying, the best way to find answers on these modifications is to search on their acronyms: RSTB, FSTB, RSB.

Answer to you RSTB question:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=98648

A few answers to your RSB and FSTB question:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=83332
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=98581
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=74346

Try some more searching.
Old 02-28-2002, 10:30 AM

Heres My Ride:

2k Maxima SE
Tokico Gas Shocks/Struts
Eibach Pro-Sport Springs 1.3'' Rear 1.5'' Front
STILLEN FSTB
STILLEN RSTB
STILLEN RSB
Nitto NT-450's 225/50/17 Stock Tire Size

all i can say is: OH BOY!

Right now kills to date on the highways:
Lexus IS300,Lexus ES300, Chevy Impala, Ford Thunderbird, Infiniti M30, Any Honda that came next to me... Toyota Camrys... head to head with Mercedes E320 im stopping now...
Old 02-28-2002, 03:05 PM

RSB and FSTB will help a lot. Lowering springs will make an even bigger difference. And no the admin will not make this a stick because there is already a FAQ
Old 02-28-2002, 03:14 PM
JET Speed Lab

wow.. so many questions

1- your car will feel nice and planted to the ground when cornering, no more tilting ride.

2- lowering your car has nothing to do with needing strut/sway bars.

3- strut/sway bars will not affect your tires. after getting your car lowered wait a month, then get an alignment if you feel you need one.

4- getting new tires? your tire wear should be the same. but after getting your suspension done, you might take corners harder than usual since you'll eventually get used to the suspension set up. so it all depends how you drive.

PS: i dont like when people tell others to search.. yes there is a search function.. but the forum is to help people out.. if you constantly tell people to search.. why did you sign up for the org... you ask for help, you give it.. some people ask for help.. so give it back!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2002, 03:42 PM

Re: Re: Suspension

Originally posted by ToYLeT902
PS: i dont like when people tell others to search.. yes there is a search function.. but the forum is to help people out.. if you constantly tell people to search.. why did you sign up for the org... you ask for help, you give it.. some people ask for help.. so give it back!!!!!!!!!!
Hey toylet bowl...I helped him even more than you did...I answered his questions and taught him all about searching.
Old 02-28-2002, 05:19 PM

dont argue guyssss

hey whether you tell em to search or actually give em the 411 they want, its still +1 right?
atw
Old 02-28-2002, 05:33 PM
JET Speed Lab

Re: Re: Re: Suspension

Originally posted by MichaelAE

Hey toylet bowl...I helped him even more than you did...I answered his questions and taught him all about searching.
not trying to flame you.. i dont flame anyone.. you did help, but sometimes all i see is.. SEARCH ****!

Old 02-28-2002, 05:35 PM
JET Speed Lab

Re: dont argue guyssss

Originally posted by MaxedOut2g
hey whether you tell em to search or actually give em the 411 they want, its still +1 right?
atw
Old 02-28-2002, 05:51 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Suspension

Originally posted by ToYLeT902
not trying to flame you.. i dont flame anyone.. you did help, but sometimes all i see is.. SEARCH ****!

I'm with ya'. All is good.

Old 03-01-2002, 06:42 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Suspension

I know how to search I just didnt have the time I posted and went to work, And yall are both right. but Im not new to using a computer so me and search engines work well have trust.
Old 03-01-2002, 09:28 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Suspension

I know how to search I just didnt have the time I posted and went to work, And yall are both right. but Im not new to using a computer so me and search engines work well have trust.
Yeah, my primary reason for giving you the newbie lecture was to point out that searching by acronym would yield better results.

Happy org'ing.
Old 03-01-2002, 10:17 AM
Maxima Pilot

On my old Gen 4 I did FSTB and RSB and

no springs/shocks...on my '01 SE I did it bass-ackwards...Eibachs and Tokicos last weekend & will wait a bit before the FSTB and RSB. With that as background experience, I will tell you this: definitely do the springs & shocks first if you can afford it...much more noticeable improvement than anything else you can do -also more moolah.

I'm not so sure/keen on the rear shock tower strut brace simply because that's a very stiff areas of the car anyway....you have lots of torsional rigidity in that area already with the C pillars & roof being close to that area

Other than that the next step is wheels and tires, another expensive proposition which I may consider doing when the OEM Potenzas wear out...probably Michelin Pilots with SSR Integral wheels -only because they are great looking wheels and they weight something line 6 lbs less per wheel than the stock 17-inchers.

After that the only other possibility is replaning the front brakes with either Brembos or the Willwood kit from fastbrakes.com, not so much because of the improved braking but because either kit will reduce your unsprung weight by 8-10 lbs per wheel...not trivial at all...unspring weight is bad, bad, bad....any reduction there will translate into immediate improvements in ride quality and handling in rough roads.

By then all told u may be looking at well into the $4-5k range, specially is you go with Brembos at nearly $2.5k but then again, as my wife says every time we buy something for the house 'it's only money'...
Old 03-01-2002, 10:32 AM
a33

dont need rear sway bar
Old 03-01-2002, 10:38 AM
Maxima Pilot

If u intend to autocross ocassionally, yes, u

do need rear sway bar....Max understeers quite a bit, RSB makes car much more neutral
Old 03-01-2002, 10:46 AM
JET Speed Lab

Originally posted by a33
dont need rear sway bar
it makes a big difference though
Old 03-01-2002, 10:49 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Suspension

Originally posted by MichaelAE

Yeah, my primary reason for giving you the newbie lecture was to point out that searching by acronym would yield better results.

Happy org'ing.
Everyone should use the search first (not just newbies). Sometimes with the forum server being busy/slow it is easier to ask the specific question. Sometimes we just get lazy. Sometimes we just make dumb moves. Oh well ...
Old 03-03-2002, 06:27 PM
a33

sorry i meant dont need rear strut bar.....