5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Paint Protector

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 10:19 AM

Paint Protector

I had mentionned this in an earlier post. With my new car I got the option to have a "paint protector" added to my car -- the catch this year is that now it is "guarenteed" against stone-paint chips. It is a written guarentee .. you inspect it every 2 yrs (4 yr guarentee). If you notice any chips at that 2 yr interval, the dealer (or entity that applied the protect) will fix the chips at their own costs -- and I was assured it isn't merely applying touch-up paint.

The product they apply is called " Pro-Tech Seal"
Theoretically, this means a car protected with this should still look almost new in 4 yrs (corrosion/rust concerns aside) since there shouldn't be ANY chips on the hood/body.

Just a FYI.
Old 02-28-2002, 10:25 AM

Re: Paint Protector

Originally posted by CrippenX
I had mentionned this in an earlier post. With my new car I got the option to have a "paint protector" added to my car -- the catch this year is that now it is "guarenteed" against stone-paint chips. It is a written guarentee .. you inspect it every 2 yrs (4 yr guarentee). If you notice any chips at that 2 yr interval, the dealer (or entity that applied the protect) will fix the chips at their own costs -- and I was assured it isn't merely applying touch-up paint.

The product they apply is called " Pro-Tech Seal"
Theoretically, this means a car protected with this should still look almost new in 4 yrs (corrosion/rust concerns aside) since there shouldn't be ANY chips on the hood/body.

Just a FYI.
Sounds like snake oil to me. If this is a spray on sealer, I don't believe that it could protect against rock chips. The only paint protector that I know of that works is the 3M Scotchcal film which is a clear film and provides a proven barrier to rock chips.
Old 02-28-2002, 10:50 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Paint Protector

Only thing that will protect the front end from rock chips is stongard.com or x-pel.com. Just a spray on protectant will not do this.

Old 02-28-2002, 11:04 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: Re: Paint Protector

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
Only thing that will protect the front end from rock chips is stongard.com or x-pel.com. Just a spray on protectant will not do this.
Ditto to what Russ said. Only "clear" protectors such as the Stongard or 3M Mask or x-pel will prevent paint chips.

Russ,

Is yours on the CL yet. I'm curious as to the lines that can be seen on a light paint such as silver.
Old 02-28-2002, 11:13 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Re: Paint Protector

Not yet, its been shipped already. Just waiting for it to come in. Then I have to set a time for the tint shop to do it.

Can't wait to get this on the car, makes me nervous even thinking about nicks again....

Originally posted by bill99gxe

Ditto to what Russ said. Only "clear" protectors such as the Stongard or 3M Mask or x-pel will prevent paint chips.

Russ,

Is yours on the CL yet. I'm curious as to the lines that can be seen on a light paint such as silver.

Old 02-28-2002, 11:18 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: Re: Re: Re: Paint Protector

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
Not yet, its been shipped already. Just waiting for it to come in. Then I have to set a time for the tint shop to do it.

Can't wait to get this on the car, makes me nervous even thinking about nicks again....

Well, if it makes ya feel better, my dad's 99 TL has one or two paint chips in 2 1/2 years of ownership. And he doesn't really take care of it. Meanwhile, our Minima had several paint chips within the first month of ownership.
Old 02-28-2002, 11:22 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Paint Protector

Originally posted by bill99gxe

Well, if it makes ya feel better, my dad's 99 TL has one or two paint chips in 2 1/2 years of ownership. And he doesn't really take care of it. Meanwhile, our Minima had several paint chips within the first month of ownership.
Not sure if you know what a black front maxima bumper looks like after all the dents. It had more dents than anything. So it didn't look like a mirror anymore, didn't even shine as good as the rear bumper. It just looked banged up. Even the lower air dam part, paint was falling off. Now that looked nasty.

Old 02-28-2002, 11:23 AM

I have to say 3M product is one of the best money I spend on the maxima, considering I only have so much mony to spend on the car.
But Profesional installation is recomended.

EU