5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Aftermarket headunit on a BOSE system

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 01:48 PM

Aftermarket headunit on a BOSE system

Can u put an aftermarket headunit on a BOSE system. I heard u could blow all the BOSE components if u do. What do u need to make the installation possible?
Old 02-28-2002, 01:58 PM

I'd keep the Bose HU and get aftermarket speakers before getting a new HU, those Bose speakers suck and the HU's not all that bad. Sorry I can't be of any help on the installation aspect.
Old 02-28-2002, 06:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Aftermarket headunit on a BOSE system

Originally posted by Blk2kMAXSE
Can u put an aftermarket headunit on a BOSE system. I heard u could blow all the BOSE components if u do. What do u need to make the installation possible?
Not true, you can get a $49 harness from Crutchfield that will allow you to install ANY aftermarket headunit without affecting the Bose amp or speakers.

I am doing this cause I am installing 7" tv headunit and other $3500 worth of audio/video crap. It will work fine. I am gonna upgrade the speakers later.

Dixit
Old 02-28-2002, 06:28 PM

Re: Re: Aftermarket headunit on a BOSE system

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Not true, you can get a $49 harness from Crutchfield that will allow you to install ANY aftermarket headunit without affecting the Bose amp or speakers.

I am doing this cause I am installing 7" tv headunit and other $3500 worth of audio/video crap. It will work fine. I am gonna upgrade the speakers later.

Dixit
Unless this is something new, When I did the install, the Harness is for the speakers. B/c the Speakers have their own amp runnning at 1ohm. So the Harness bypasses the Bose Amps at each speaker.
Old 02-28-2002, 07:00 PM

Re: Re: Re: Aftermarket headunit on a BOSE system

Originally posted by PIONEER

Unless this is something new, When I did the install, the Harness is for the speakers. B/c the Speakers have their own amp runnning at 1ohm. So the Harness bypasses the Bose Amps at each speaker.
No sir, this new harness has a built in speaker to line level convertor. It takes the speaker level inputs from your aftermarket unit and then converts it to a line level that gets sent to the bose amp. Thus getting a good clean signal. Not technially as clean as true preamps, but it does more than the job.

Dixit
Old 02-28-2002, 07:06 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Soo what I am hearing....

Is that we can replace the stock speakers with new speakers w/o needing harnesses? Just have to fiddle with placement/fit right?

Lets go one step further....what would be the best wattage to put in place of the stock speakers to make the factory H/U? Keep in mind I want gooooooood sound...not heavy bass. We put infiniti speakers in my buddys car last fall and it still amazes me how good they sound.
Old 02-28-2002, 07:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Aftermarket headunit on a BOSE system

No sir, this new harness has a built in speaker to line level convertor. It takes the speaker level inputs from your aftermarket unit and then converts it to a line level that gets sent to the bose amp. Thus getting a good clean signal. Not technially as clean as true preamps, but it does more than the job.

Dixit
Tell me how you convert Aftermarket Headunit Speaker wires to Line level for bose and still have Speaker wires come out the other end.. Line level conversion means Wire To RCA not Wire to Wire....

Ok we are talking about 2 different things. The Bose speakers have the speaker wires going to the Speaker from the Harness. the Problem is the Amp. Along with the Signal wire from the harness, there's also a +/- wire for Each amp that is supplied through the harness. It is this +/- wire that needs to be bypassed.. Remember, You only get sound when the bose Amp turns on and then supplies the signal to the speaker. If the amp doesn't turn on the signal from the radio goes to the Amp and Stays there. Cheaper way to do this is to disable the amp and buy trip the speaker wires directly with the signal wires before they reach the amp. If you are not understanding this Shoot me a PM I'll explain..
Old 02-28-2002, 07:21 PM

Lets go one step further....what would be the best wattage to put in place of the stock speakers to make the factory H/U? Keep in mind I want gooooooood sound...not heavy bass. We put infiniti speakers in my buddys car last fall and it still amazes me how good they sound.
Well to be honest, changing the speakers and leaving the BOSE amp is not a good idea. If you go that far, might as well shell out another $200 for a good 4channel amp and power them up nicely. The BOSE amp is really only good for their speakers, not for other high end aftermarket systems.

Tell me how you convert Aftermarket Headunit Speaker wires to Line level for bose and still have Speaker wires come out the other end.. Line level conversion means Wire To RCA not Wire to Wire....

Ok we are talking about 2 different things. The Bose speakers have the speaker wires going to the Speaker from the Harness. the Problem is the Amp. Along with the Signal wire from the harness, there's also a +/- wire for Each amp that is supplied through the harness. It is this +/- wire that needs to be bypassed.. Remember, You only get sound when the bose Amp turns on and then supplies the signal to the speaker. If the amp doesn't turn on the signal from the radio goes to the Amp and Stays there. Cheaper way to do this is to disable the amp and buy trip the speaker wires directly with the signal wires before they reach the amp. If you are not understanding this Shoot me a PM I'll explain..
Like I said, this is a Custom Wire harness that Crutchfield makes. I really wish I had my digi cam to take a picture out it, it is sitting right freagin here on my desk.

The aftermarket wires are straight wires that get crimped into the harness with feeds it to the speaker-to-line level convertor, and YES the output of those wires go directly into the plug that fits into the factory harness. So no there are no RCAs coming out on the other end. This is a custom harness made by SCOSCHE sold by Cruthfield and other places, all of them normally sell around $50.

Okay secondly, BOSE system actually feeds a line level signal from the HEADUNIT to the BOSE AMP (located under the rear dash), then the Bose AMP sends SPEAKER LEVEL signal to the speakers located in the doors and Apillar. That is the setup. So what you are think of it being sent directly from the headunit is wrong. The headunit acts as nothing but a Low level signal unit, not an amplifier. And Also the rear deck BOSE sub has its OWN amp built into it, so the Bose AMP only powers the 6 inside speakers.

Got it? Damn that was some detailed writing.

Dixit
Old 02-28-2002, 07:38 PM

Well to be honest, changing the speakers and leaving the BOSE amp is not a good idea. If you go that far, might as well shell out another $200 for a good 4channel amp and power them up nicely. The BOSE amp is really only good for their speakers, not for other high end aftermarket systems.

Like I said, this is a Custom Wire harness that Crutchfield makes. I really wish I had my digi cam to take a picture out it, it is sitting right freagin here on my desk.

The aftermarket wires are straight wires that get crimped into the harness with feeds it to the speaker-to-line level convertor, and YES the output of those wires go directly into the plug that fits into the factory harness. So no there are no RCAs coming out on the other end. This is a custom harness made by SCOSCHE sold by Cruthfield and other places, all of them normally sell around $50.

Okay secondly, BOSE system actually feeds a line level signal from the HEADUNIT to the BOSE AMP (located under the rear dash), then the Bose AMP sends SPEAKER LEVEL signal to the speakers located in the doors and Apillar. That is the setup. So what you are think of it being sent directly from the headunit is wrong. The headunit acts as nothing but a Low level signal unit, not an amplifier. And Also the rear deck BOSE sub has its OWN amp built into it, so the Bose AMP only powers the 6 inside speakers.

Got it? Damn that was some detailed writing.

Dixit
I am Hearing you, but If what you are saying is correct then My Car is not the same breed as yours. I have one of the First 2Kz and Each speaker in my car had its own AMP On the Door Under the Speaker, Like the 4th gens. Nissan may have changed this and put the amp in a central location.. In that case, What you are saying is correct, But When I did a install over 2 years ago and this is how I did it then. There was no such thing as a Wire converter then.. Hell at that time no one was makeing the Dash kit to hold the radio in place. Good thing I found about the GXE Dash Trim..
Old 02-28-2002, 07:41 PM

I am Hearing you, but If what you are saying is correct then My Car is not the same breed as yours. I have one of the First 2Kz and Each speaker in my car had its own AMP On the Door Under the Speaker, Like the 4th gens. Nissan may have changed this and put the amp in a central location.. In that case, What you are saying is correct, But When I did a install over 2 years ago and this is how I did it then. There was no such thing as a Wire converter then.. Hell at that time no one was makeing the Dash kit to hold the radio in place. Good thing I found about the GXE Dash Trim..
That is very odd. I never liked the each speaker with its own amp on the door. I know this is the same system on the 2k also cause I got the 2k esm and that is what they show. You definetely got the earliest 2k available.

Dixit
Old 02-28-2002, 08:30 PM

and the neck bone is connected to the....?
Old 02-28-2002, 09:48 PM

ok I'm lost.....so the + goes to the - ......$hit thats why I have professnials do my audio....
Old 03-01-2002, 05:02 AM

Does anyone know if a double din HU will fit in the stock Bose HU location w/o major cutting?

GC
Old 03-01-2002, 05:35 AM

Originally posted by Cisco
Does anyone know if a double din HU will fit in the stock Bose HU location w/o major cutting?

GC
No need to cut anything. Go get yourself a GXE Vent Assembly From Nissan, and install your headunit in the Factory Bracket. Thats all you need. Nothing to cut. Go to my site for pics of my Headunit.
Old 03-01-2002, 05:39 AM

No need to cut anything. Go get yourself a GXE Vent Assembly From Nissan, and install your headunit in the Factory Bracket. Thats all you need. Nothing to cut. Go to my site for pics of my Headunit.
Or get the SCOSCHE headunit kit where you can do a single din with pocket, double din opening, or TWO single dins. All in the same headunit kit.

Dixit
Old 03-01-2002, 06:00 AM

Or get the SCOSCHE headunit kit where you can do a single din with pocket, double din opening, or TWO single dins. All in the same headunit kit.

Dixit
Did they change the Kit so now it matches the color of the dash or is it still Black?? Also the Pocket can be purchased as well for $7 to fit a Single din Headunit from the Dealer..
Old 03-01-2002, 06:23 AM

Did they change the Kit so now it matches the color of the dash or is it still Black?? Also the Pocket can be purchased as well for $7 to fit a Single din Headunit from the Dealer..
Here is the link for the product. http://www.scosche.com/scosche/insta...its/NN1494.asp

They say it is color matched, but I know there are either black or the "titanium" look dash. So hopefully it is alright. It cost only $9 from soundomain.com.

Dixit