5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Age group?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2000, 09:37 AM

28 yrs old, no wait, 29 i think. got the max at 28.
my wife and i have a 91 sentra with 140k that runs like a champ. also a 96 trooper that has been absolutely trouble free at 45k. and a 2000 suzuki marauder (bike).
Before the max we had a 97 kia sportage and it, being a korean auto, was a piece of **** - got it used, sold it less than two years later before the well-used warranty ran out.
i wanted a sports car, she wanted something big enough for a baby seat (expecting around thanksgiving). The maxima was the most obvious choice. also quite a bargain i thought. got it for less than 1% over invoice with leather, spoiler, & mats after playing the three local dealers off one another for a few days. (no money down 2.9% 60 month financing though nissanMAC - out-the-door price $23,450)
i've since put on 17" wheels, stillen fstb and intake.
incidentally, i kept the 15" stock stamped wheels and hubcaps and put blizzak snow tires on them and keep em in the shed for the worst of winter.
Old 09-06-2000, 10:10 AM
corinthian

I'm 36. I got the Maxima because I have 2 kids, and also wanted a car that would make me forget all about my Eagle Talon TSi AWD.

I have no interest in doing mods on the car. The stock performance is fine for me, I just like to have the power
on hand.

Old 09-06-2000, 10:10 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Congratulations on the new arrival tb420!

Start working that keyboard Pioneer, you've got a ways to go!!!
Old 09-06-2000, 11:13 AM

Re: age

i've since put on 17" wheels, stillen fstb and intake.
incidentally, i kept the 15" stock stamped wheels and hubcaps and put blizzak snow tires on them and keep em in the shed for the worst of winter.
[/I][/QUOTE]

Smart man. Keeping the Rims. big difference from the Kia to the Max I bet. Good choice
Old 09-06-2000, 11:16 AM

Start working that keyboard Pioneer, you've got a ways to go!!! [/I][/QUOTE]

Comon man.. why don't U go on vacation or something so that keeps U away for a while and when U come back I'll be caught up.
Old 09-06-2000, 11:52 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

LOL... I should be going to Hong Kong this December, so you'll have your chance then.
Old 09-06-2000, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
LOL... I should be going to Hong Kong this December, so you'll have your chance then.
man December is too far. U'll have twice as meny posts then me by then.
Old 09-06-2000, 12:44 PM

What surprises me about the younger Max owners here is not the money angle, but the choice. I would think that a 16-21 year-old would choose something more sportier, instead of the "grocery-getter floaty-boat sedan", which is my view of the Max (although I like it better than anything else in its class and price range).

Not meant to be provocative - I applaud your taste in vehicles - just wondering what the younger people here find appealing in the Maxima. I think if I were your age, I'd be going with a sports car or muscle car...

Guess this tells you what my age is!
Old 09-06-2000, 01:00 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Rookwood
What surprises me about the younger Max owners here is not the money angle, but the choice. I would think that a 16-21 year-old would choose something more sportier, instead of the "grocery-getter floaty-boat sedan", which is my view of the Max (although I like it better than anything else in its class and price range).

Not meant to be provocative - I applaud your taste in vehicles - just wondering what the younger people here find appealing in the Maxima. I think if I were your age, I'd be going with a sports car or muscle car...

You should check the Honda web boards. The Accord web board on most of them is also full of relatively young people. I drove a Accord V6 before this and it seems a lot of young people owned those also. It seems people mod Hondas a lot more.
Old 09-06-2000, 01:02 PM

just wondering what the younger people here find appealing in the Maxima. I think if I were your age, I'd be going with a sports car or muscle car...

Guess this tells you what my age is! [/I][/QUOTE]

Since Jap auto makers are phaseing out Sports cars, and the price of a Celica, Pralude, MX6 is about the same or higher then the Maxima, why not go ahead and get the Maxima, U R getting More car and U R getting a faster car. something that your coworkers can appriciate when U have 5 people going to lunch with U and something U can shut the 2door Civic,Celica,Pralude guys with when U R on the road. A little bit of both sides. yeah its big but it has earned its reputation that its not a Camry or Accord even though its in the same class. Some people think twice B4 they start to run with a Maxima. Its not the best or the fastest car but its better then %99 of the cars in the $25,000 price range. Just my opinion. don't mean to start anything..
Old 09-06-2000, 01:07 PM

You should check the Honda web boards. The Accord web board on most of them is also full of relatively young people. I drove a Accord V6 before this and it seems a lot of young people owned those also. It seems people mod Hondas a lot more. [/I][/QUOTE]

True but those are the same kids who say Unless your Accord is seriously Modded, Don't run a Maxima b/c U'll have *** handed to U... This is a fact.. Camry Sells 4 times more then a maxima and Accord sells 3 Times. But Look at the pictures.. How meney V6 Camry and Accords U see on the road. Maxima is a V6 out of the box so the price is higher so it hurts the Overall Salez #s.. compare apples to apples and compare how meny V6 Accords and Camrys were sold and then compare that to the Maxima. Something No one does.
Old 09-06-2000, 01:17 PM

Cool... Since we have the same opinion of the Max, I don't feel like such an old 30-something fart!

BTW, when I was your age (spoken in a Abe Simpson voice), I had a '73 Impala. If THAT wasn't a boat, I don't know what is. But at least it could go fast in a straight line, and you could pack your whole life into the trunk and back seat.

Originally posted by PIONEER
just wondering what the younger people here find appealing in the Maxima. I think if I were your age, I'd be going with a sports car or muscle car...

Since Jap auto makers are phaseing out Sports cars, and the price of a Celica, Pralude, MX6 is about the same or higher then the Maxima, why not go ahead and get the Maxima, U R getting More car and U R getting a faster car. something that your coworkers can appriciate when U have 5 people going to lunch with U and something U can shut the 2door Civic,Celica,Pralude guys with when U R on the road. A little bit of both sides. yeah its big but it has earned its reputation that its not a Camry or Accord even though its in the same class. Some people think twice B4 they start to run with a Maxima. Its not the best or the fastest car but its better then %99 of the cars in the $25,000 price range. Just my opinion. don't mean to start anything.. [/I][/QUOTE]
Old 09-06-2000, 01:32 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by PIONEER

True but those are the same kids who say Unless your Accord is seriously Modded, Don't run a Maxima b/c U'll have *** handed to U... This is a fact.. Camry Sells 4 times more then a maxima and Accord sells 3 Times. But Look at the pictures.. How meney V6 Camry and Accords U see on the road. Maxima is a V6 out of the box so the price is higher so it hurts the Overall Salez #s.. compare apples to apples and compare how meny V6 Accords and Camrys were sold and then compare that to the Maxima. Something No one does.
Agreed...There are a lot more 4-cylinder Accords and Camrys around. V6 Accords sell a lot less and I think there are even fewer V6 Camrys. Also, the Maxima is definitely a lot nicer than an Accord or Camry, thats why I got the Max. The Accord V6 was nice, but the Max. is a lot better in may ways.
Old 09-06-2000, 01:42 PM

Well see... I'm 6'0 or so and a good 265+ lbs. My self + Civic = hahahahah um no.

The Maxima has awesome room, nice sturdy quality construction, feels safer than those little tin cans and for gods sake isn't and american p.o.s. like a Muststank or Camarho.
Old 09-06-2000, 02:47 PM

I miss my m3!
Old 09-06-2000, 03:02 PM

I'm a 28 year old woman. I just bought a 2K fully loaded SE and LOVE it!

Old 09-06-2000, 06:21 PM

as I've said before...

I am a Maxima lover:

1984 Maxima
1989 Maxima SE
2000 Maxima GXE

I've had other cars in between, but overall, nothing compares to the Maxima for its price range. Nissan has taken a few more styling gambles with their product line compared to the likes of Toyota and Honda. The Camry IMO is a very sedate looking car. The Accord is even worse, with the exception of the coupe which isnt bad, but still, the Maxima is better looking. I also chose the Maxima because I wanted something I did not see everywhere...times are changing. I see the 5th gen Max more and more every day.
Old 09-06-2000, 06:26 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Congrats! Welcome to the Maxima family!
Old 09-06-2000, 06:41 PM

Re: How the !@#$!@# do you guys afford a 2k max at 17, 18, 19 yrs old?!

I am 23 and I just bought my second 2K max
My daily driven Super (HOT) Black SE
but 400$ a month for insurance
What

Both of my Maximas are only 225$ with full coverave at 3 times the requierd levels

Originally posted by Matt93GXE
I'm 22 and no way in Hell can I afford one, even by quitting college and working 70+ hours/week at any of my last job(s)!
The car payment is enough, let alone the extra $400/mo it would cost me to insure the ****!
how do you guys afford mods on top of that? sheesh..
I take it you guys aren't going to college? (well, either that or the parents are helping out immensly in some depertment)
Old 09-06-2000, 06:57 PM
Got Bent?

Re: Re: How the !@#$!@# do you guys afford a 2k max at 17, 18, 19 yrs old?!

Originally posted by Stranger808
I am 23 and I just bought my second 2K max
My daily driven Super (HOT) Black SE
but 400$ a month for insurance
What

$400 a month for insurance? Damn, thats insane. I am 23 also, but I pay like $150 a month. Where do you live?
Old 09-06-2000, 11:21 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

what i really wanted was a used 95 or so supra turbo. couldnt get that cuz my parents wanted me to get:

-new car
-4 doors
-auto tranny

seeing as theyre generous enough to want me to have a new car over a used (they have major trust issues), i decided on the max. my parents have a 97 i30t and its a blast to drive for a 4 door hauler. keeping in mind that i wanted power and that i did not wanna dent my parents pockets too much, i decided on the maxima. (i love how the se looks in white) only thing is, is that i got the gxe, but i know in spirit ill whoop on all u auto se owners! j/p!
Old 09-07-2000, 07:25 AM

I was 22 when I got my 98se, 23 with my 2k and 99 altima n/m

nm
Old 09-07-2000, 08:22 AM
is invisible

Geez..what kind of jobs did you land at those young ages?

To afford those cars?

Ugh, last year of school...I gotta find a killer job
Old 09-07-2000, 08:30 AM

Re: Geez..what kind of jobs did you land at those young ages?

Originally posted by CoolMax
To afford those cars?

Comon Flipping Burgers at BK for 100hrz a week autta give U enough to afford a Max.
Old 09-07-2000, 08:38 AM

I do tech support for a living... wooohoo!
Old 09-07-2000, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by punkdork
I do tech support for a living... wooohoo!
yes Sir.. IBM Enterprise Server Support
Old 09-07-2000, 11:16 AM

Well, reading all the responses from the younger owners here is making me feel better. Since I have the same taste in $25K sedans as you all, I definitely don't feel so old any more! People tell me I look 10 years younger than I am, so I guess the Maxima will help to keep up the illusion

Though I wonder at what age will I need to be when the Maxima is considered a mid-life crisis car?
Old 09-07-2000, 12:33 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

23! j/k
Old 09-07-2000, 12:35 PM

it's a real good car

a good car is a good car no matter what the age right?? it's true that younger people tend to lean towards the sport cars, as i was originally going to get the s2k but then the wait list was real long, the car wasn't out, and mark up was just going up the wazoo. it was 42k when it first came out. i wanted a convertibal to cruise in, because my dad has one too (xk8) i really like the wind blowing thru as i speed thru the highway overlooking the sea.. but then no other 2 dr convetible was worth the buy. IMO. so i thot either the s2k or a four door.. four door because all cars in my house are two doors now, since my mom's lease on the xj6L expired. and also this car is for keeps gonna keep it til it stops running. and wanted something safe for the kids, (well int he future) and just a real kick back car to drive. the max was a great buy at the time i purchased it. the CL type S wasn't out yet. and the max just got redisgned.
Old 09-07-2000, 01:09 PM
OG :)

well once i owned a '84 albeit rwd Chevrolet Monte Carlo and this makes the Maxima drive like a sports car, comparison-wise.

Kenneth

Old 09-07-2000, 01:11 PM

there is no such things as mid_life crisis.

Though I wonder at what age will I need to be when the Maxima is considered a mid-life crisis car?
Old 09-07-2000, 01:17 PM

YOU have a Max.

To afford those cars?

Old 09-07-2000, 07:41 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

To afford those cars?

lol, worked full time AT lockheed martin, sunnyvale over the summer. (ask kev bout that) i worked there, but that's not how i could afford the car. mommy and daddy paid for the thing. i got VERY lucky for that and i know it. i owe them A LOT for it. if i had to pay for my car, id probably be driving something like say.. a pinto.
Old 09-07-2000, 08:55 PM

I am a pimp... A so called "mack daddy" if you will..
Old 09-08-2000, 07:44 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Go back into your 3rd gen forum Mikey... BAD MIKEY!!! BAD!!!
Old 09-08-2000, 12:18 PM
is invisible

Re: Re: Geez..what kind of jobs did you land at those young ages?

Originally posted by Kenneth
YOU have a Max.

To afford those cars?

Oh yeah..you're right

But it's 9 years old and worth $4000 (maybe)!!
Old 09-08-2000, 01:20 PM
Got Bent?

I am finishing up graduate school and I have a fellowship. I should have my masters degree in electrical engineering at the end of this year hopefully .
Old 09-08-2000, 06:50 PM
teddibear703

i guess i'm lucky

I'm 18, my mom bought me the car so i guess i'm lucky. But i love fixing it up... that at least is my money. I love the maxima.
Old 09-08-2000, 06:59 PM

19 here

yeah, my parents bought me my 2k max gle and they pay the ridiculous amount of insurance.
I will do the MODs if any

Roger
Old 09-08-2000, 07:14 PM

Hmmm...

Parents buying kids 25K dollar cars, i have a bit of a problem with. I feel autos should be bought by the kids for what they can afford so they learn a bit more respect for driving. However, to those of you whose parents bought you the cars, atleast you chose wisely. Im 30, I own my Max, I paid for it (paying for it), so thats all that matters. Plus my insurance is only 380 bucks every 6 months for full coverage lol. The Legend I had was 1200 every 6. Go figure. I guess the maxima is not as high risk for theft lol.

Quick Reply: Age group?