5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Loud Thud Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 04:04 PM

Loud Thud Noise

I was driving my Car today and was stopped behind another Car, I began to pull around this car and As I did my Maxima made this loud banging noise from the front Right, and shook. Almost as if I had hit a Large Pot hole or something. It might have been the tranny slipping but I am not sure. Well Needless to say I drove back later to see if there were any potholes and there was nothing there. Anybody have any Ideas what it might have been?
Old 03-04-2002, 05:20 PM

Re: Loud Thud Noise

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=102471

ADMAN
Old 03-04-2002, 06:14 PM

Re: Re: Loud Thud Noise

That's what I was thinking when I read the thread title, but it he was able to drive away without any further noises I really doubt it. Right after the really loud bang my car let out there were scraping and rubbing noises from the first time I tried to move it on.

Stereodude
Old 03-04-2002, 07:59 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

ahhhh.. I know this one...

you basically did a neutral drop on the transmission. You see, when you slow down behind a car the max will tend to stay in 2nd or 3rd. It's programmed this way because we have tons of torque and usually the car can do it no problem. But every once and awhile, as you try to power around to pass (lets say you were going 10-15mph) and give it gas, sometimes the tranny will drop from 3rd to 1st. BAMMMM, the whole car will shake. Feels like you hit a telephone pole. I nearly soiled my pants the first time that happened. And it's only happened 2 or 3 times in the 2 years I have the car. Very upsetting. It's something you tend to 'drive around'. You can reproduce it, but I doubt you want to. 4th gens will do this too, so I'm not too worried. No one has lost a tranny directly from it.

I think I also pulled over the first time to see if I had hit something :/ It was loud enough to get the attention of the people in the car I was passing.
Old 03-05-2002, 06:58 AM

Re: ahhhh.. I know this one...

I didn't realize that there was a name for this noise! I've heard it one time with my 2K GXE. I remember my wife was with me and she was like, what was that? It didn't seem to hurt anything and I'm way past my warranty so I just kept driving.

Originally posted by TimW
you basically did a neutral drop on the transmission. You see, when you slow down behind a car the max will tend to stay in 2nd or 3rd. It's programmed this way because we have tons of torque and usually the car can do it no problem. But every once and awhile, as you try to power around to pass (lets say you were going 10-15mph) and give it gas, sometimes the tranny will drop from 3rd to 1st. BAMMMM, the whole car will shake. Feels like you hit a telephone pole. I nearly soiled my pants the first time that happened. And it's only happened 2 or 3 times in the 2 years I have the car. Very upsetting. It's something you tend to 'drive around'. You can reproduce it, but I doubt you want to. 4th gens will do this too, so I'm not too worried. No one has lost a tranny directly from it.

I think I also pulled over the first time to see if I had hit something :/ It was loud enough to get the attention of the people in the car I was passing.