5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

FREEWAY RULES. (really long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 02:07 PM

FREEWAY RULES. (really long)

When I drive on the freeway, I have general rules that I follow that have served me well. I do more wild sh*t on the freeway than anyone I know, yet I have never gotten a ticket on the freeway thanks to my rules. I thought I would simply share them with the .org community in hope of helping others and getting some new ones to add to the list. Here is my general list of freeway rules:

1) When you first get on the freeway, drive at 5 mph under the posted limit for at least 5 minutes. At this time, take note of all the cars behind you, and wait to see if any cops go by (they usually drive at about 10 over).
2) Use rabbits whenever possible. A rabbit is someone who always drives well above the speed limit like an idiot, leaving themselves open for tickets. Find one of these, sit behind them, and slowly loose them--they will always get the ticket instead of you. My favorite rabbits are suped up civics that want to race.
3) Once you've secured the road behind you, and you want to haul a*s or race, be alert and stare ahead but glance behind periodically (I'm talking 100+; cops usually don't exceed 90). Basically, the main threat is ahead of you. Look for light bars and/or the metalic writing on the back of cop cars. If you see one, slow down and STAY BEHIND. Cops cant do sh*t unless you pass them speeding; they must radar or pace you. I have come up on cops going 130 mph at 3am and just slowed down and sat directly behind them dozens of times without ever getting pulled over. DO NOT LET THEM GET BEHIND YOU!
4) Stay out of the fast lane. This is where cops look for people speeding. Try to blend into the rest of traffic. It's really hard to keep track of you that way. If you see a cop and you think your in trouble, move to the right and sit at the speed limit (i.e. don't let him pace you and don't give him a reason.
5) Once you know what's behind you and you're going 100+, do not stop unless there is a cop in front, or you're getting off. If you hang around after racing you're just an idiot waiting for a cop. GET OFF!
6) If you're a psycho like me, and you hit the freeway to test your mods or just to have fun, then go out in packs of two or three and use cell phones. Have one car go ahead and one lag behind to screen for cops. That way you just have to worry about the onramps. If you're going 130, you pass a cop getting on going 50, and there is lots of traffic, just keep going and get off right away. Be careful about this one because if a cop signals you, then its evation. I passed a cop, who was getting on, at 130 in the carpool lane once, and because of traffic I just kept going, got off, parked, and went to lunch.

These are my commandments for all the adrenaline junkies like me! If you have additional tactics, please let me know! Does anyone here use scanners? If so, how succesful have you been with them? Also, does anyone here have a valentine radar detector?

Sorry this was so long, but I kept comming up with more stuff. If you don't like what I'm saying do not just flame me about--tell me what's wrong with my rules. Drive safe. Hope this helps.
Old 03-05-2002, 02:18 PM

Aside from the "rabbit rule," your rules require too much luck.
Old 03-05-2002, 03:52 PM

Re: FREEWAY RULES. (really long)

Originally posted by Dan4614
Cops cant do sh*t unless you pass them speeding; they must radar or pace you. I have come up on cops going 130 mph at 3am and just slowed down and sat directly behind them dozens of times without ever getting pulled over. DO NOT LET THEM GET BEHIND YOU!
your first sentence was wrong but then you seemed to contradict/correct you in the 2nd half. lets say you're in a 55 MPH zone...if there is a cop in front of you going 80. you are 10 car lengths back. if he notices that you are keeping up with hi and arent losing ground thats just like him pacing you. ive seen cops pull over and stop on the side of the road and wait for someone behind them to pass. but for the most part...yes....don't let the cop get behind you if you are im such a situation.
Old 03-05-2002, 03:54 PM

I don't travel at 100+, so some of your rules don't apply, but for the most part the basic rules are exactly what I do. I always clear myself when entering the freeway, driving at no more than 5mph over until I'm sure there isn't a trooper behind me. If I can insert myself behind somebody in the fast lane who wants to travel fast, then I do so. I constantly check the rear view mirror to see if anyone is coming up fast, and I'm always scanning ahead to see if there's a trooper in the shadows or around the bend. Additionally, I never travel more than 5mph over the limit at night.

I received more tickets than I can remember when I was younger, and every single one of them was received while using a radar/laser detector (always top of the line ones, too, Bel and Valentine). I threw my last detector away in '96, and I haven't gotten a ticket since. A radar/laser detector is no match for common sense and concentration while driving, it definitely instilled false confidence in me.
Old 03-05-2002, 04:06 PM
Sly

The rabbit rule doesn't always work either. Too many times I've seen 3 or 4 cars pulled over at the same time, one time by a single cop! If the gestapo is running a speed trap and working a certain stretch in teams with a hidden spotter, you're rabbit won't do you much good. If it's just a single trooper out in the middle of nowhere then yes, you've got a better chance, but not if you're on the wrong road at the wrong time of the month.
Old 03-05-2002, 04:44 PM
Very sound, Mike

Good suggestions.

However, i follow the KISS rule (Keep It Simple S*upid). I just run at the speed limit.

With limits reduced to 55mph here in Houston soon i guess i should start getting used to it
Old 03-05-2002, 04:56 PM

Thanks for the responses.
First of all, I should have been more clear that these rules are just guidelines--they are not exact or fullproof by any means. However, I can safely say that they've saved my a*s again and again.

Newman95SE,
Yeah, that was rather contradictory (should've proofread), but you obviously get the point. I have had cops see me comming and slow down or pull over. I alway just put the cruise control on the limit and I've haven't had problems. Honestly, there have been some incidents where I don't know why I wasn't stopped. In one case, there was nobody on the road but me and the cop, I was going 130 but slowed down to 65 when I saw him. He eyeballed me real good, but did nothing. this was really late at night (i have noticed that between 1-4am cops dont usually stop you unless youre being reckless or they think youre drunk.)
Chance,
Glad to find someone who thinks like I do. You had the Valentine, and it didn't work??? How depressing--I heard it was amazing. And your right--common sense is most important. Thanks for the info. I was about to get a Valentine. I'll have to do more research.
Sly,
3-4 at a time? Wow, I've never seen anything like that. It's very true that if multiple cops set up a trap you can easily get f*cked. I know all the traps on the freeways I travel. I should have mention that one must alway KNOW THE FREEWAY.
Old 03-05-2002, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by soundmike
Good suggestions.

However, i follow the KISS rule (Keep It Simple S*upid). I just run at the speed limit.

With limits reduced to 55mph here in Houston soon i guess i should start getting used to it
Aww, they reduced the limit--that sucks.

KISS! Yeah, thats gonna be my new rule when I get a 2 point ticket!
Old 03-05-2002, 05:02 PM
Very sound, Mike

Hmm.. it just occurred to me. Can cops really sense how fast you're going if he's going the opposite way?

A relative once got ticketed for being 10 over the limit in a long stretch of highway from Minneapolis to SD. The cop was going the opposite way and made a u turn to pull us over.
Old 03-05-2002, 05:04 PM
Very sound, Mike

No kidding. We're so used to doing 80 over here. 55 is side-street speed.

Funny thing is, side street/feeder road speed limits remain unchanged. It's going to be weird seeing people on the highway run just as fast as people in the feeder roads.

Aww, they reduced the limit--that sucks.

KISS! Yeah, thats gonna be my new rule when I get a 2 point ticket!
Old 03-05-2002, 05:18 PM

Hmm.. it just occurred to me. Can cops really sense how fast you're going if he's going the opposite way?

A relative once got ticketed for being 10 over the limit in a long stretch of highway from Minneapolis to SD. The cop was going the opposite way and made a u turn to pull us over.
What? Oh, I totally would have taken that to court! Cops have seen me speed going the other way and turned around to check me out but that's it.
Old 03-05-2002, 05:21 PM

No kidding. We're so used to doing 80 over here. 55 is side-street speed.

Funny thing is, side street/feeder road speed limits remain unchanged. It's going to be weird seeing people on the highway run just as fast as people in the feeder roads.

You went from 80 to 55?! Oh, I'm sooooo sorry. How the he*l did that happen?
Old 03-05-2002, 05:21 PM
Very sound, Mike

Oh that sucks. Yeah, my relative was ticketed and since he lives in SD (roughly almost a whole day's drive following the speed limit) and the court appearance was going to be in MN he didn't bother anymore. Too long a drive for a relatively small fine.

It's good to know though that this shouldn't be the case

What? Oh, I totally would have taken that to court! Cops have seen me speed going the other way and turned around to check me out but that's it.
Old 03-05-2002, 05:33 PM
Very sound, Mike

Technically it's 70-75 but no one ever runs that, people follow the 5-10 mile over the limit speed thus 80.

Apparently Houston is not he smog capital of the US with LA sliding down in second. So to reduce pollution they implemented the lower speed limits.

You went from 80 to 55?! Oh, I'm sooooo sorry. How the he*l did that happen?
Old 03-05-2002, 06:02 PM

Ah, yes that makes more sense. 70 to 55 still sucks none the less.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't have made the drive either. But in general, always take any ticket to court. It's your leagal right and you never have anything to lose. I contest everything and it got me 2nd offenders school instead of a point! Just contest any ticket you get and pray that the cop doesn't show. If they don't then your home free, and if they do, just take the ticket (esp. if youre eligable for traffic school).

Also, for $30 bucks per month you can get a pre-paid lawyer. You don't have to do anything then, except call and have them appear for you. If I had more $$$, I would already have this. And it works for everything except drug-related violations.
Old 03-05-2002, 06:22 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

yes, they have radar that works that way. It is very spohisticated and works quite well from a moving vehicle.

Beware.
Old 03-05-2002, 07:48 PM

Re: Freeway Rules

You are definitely right about checking the mirrors. I used to have a '99 Cougar and was taking a trip the up Interstate to Chicago a couple years ago. We passed a car that was pulled over by an unmarked car in the opposite direction, and my friends and I made fun of the unfortunate fool. I figured it was pretty safe to speed since the cops were a little preoccupied with the guy they had pulled over so I edged it up to 95 (traffic was already flowing around 85). I then broke the fast lane rule to pass some slower cars. I was in the fast lane for a minute or two and happened to glance in my rear view mirror. All that I could see was a windshield, so I got out of the maniac's way. He was doing about 105 by my front bumper and was doing 130 before he disappeared ahead. It was the unmarked car from before. Did I mention that it was a Camaro SS? I still don't know how a car with 3 teenagers in it doing 30mph over the limit didn't get pulled over, he must have had someone even better to get. Sure scared the crap out of me though. Just thought I'd relate that. I'm sure the story doesn't have much effect to anyone else, but you'd feel different if he was 3 feet behind you. Use the tips posted by Dan4614 and others to prevent ruining your day.
Old 03-05-2002, 08:59 PM

Re: Re: Freeway Rules

Originally posted by Shaggydum
You are definitely right about checking the mirrors. I used to have a '99 Cougar and was taking a trip the up Interstate to Chicago a couple years ago. We passed a car that was pulled over by an unmarked car in the opposite direction, and my friends and I made fun of the unfortunate fool. I figured it was pretty safe to speed since the cops were a little preoccupied with the guy they had pulled over so I edged it up to 95 (traffic was already flowing around 85). I then broke the fast lane rule to pass some slower cars. I was in the fast lane for a minute or two and happened to glance in my rear view mirror. All that I could see was a windshield, so I got out of the maniac's way. He was doing about 105 by my front bumper and was doing 130 before he disappeared ahead. It was the unmarked car from before. Did I mention that it was a Camaro SS? I still don't know how a car with 3 teenagers in it doing 30mph over the limit didn't get pulled over, he must have had someone even better to get. Sure scared the crap out of me though. Just thought I'd relate that. I'm sure the story doesn't have much effect to anyone else, but you'd feel different if he was 3 feet behind you. Use the tips posted by Dan4614 and others to prevent ruining your day.
Interesting...If he was going that fast and it wasn't to catch up with you, I would say he deffinately had something urgent to get to. Like I said, cops usually go faster than the speed limit to cover more ground, but not that fast (not to mention that he wouldn't have tailgated like that if he were after you).

I had a similar experience once, where the freeway was totally clear (2am), and I was cruising at about 80. So, I see these lights comming up fast, I mean really fast. I speed up, preparing for a race, and the guy passes me like I'm standing still. It was a f*cking COP, and he was going 130 at least. Didn't care about me at all.

By the way, when and where was that, with the Camaro? I hear that california highway patrol is getting 70 blue camaro ss'. Anyone hear about that?!
Old 03-05-2002, 09:21 PM

Camaro SS cop

Dan4614:

By the way, when and where was that, with the Camaro? I hear that california highway patrol is getting 70 blue camaro ss'. Anyone hear about that?!
It was sometime in '99 when it happened I believe (might have been early 2000) It was on I-55 in Illinois somewhere on the way to Chicago from Springfield (about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way if I recall). The one that was behind me was that dark grey that almost has a hint of purple in it. I would assume that it was confiscated from some kind of bust (maybe reckless driving? ) in that area since I have never seen another one anywhere in the state. There is a red, modified Mustang GT that patrols in my area that I've seen with people pulled over a few times.
Old 03-05-2002, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by Sly
The rabbit rule doesn't always work either. Too many times I've seen 3 or 4 cars pulled over at the same time, one time by a single cop! If the gestapo is running a speed trap and working a certain stretch in teams with a hidden spotter, you're rabbit won't do you much good. If it's just a single trooper out in the middle of nowhere then yes, you've got a better chance, but not if you're on the wrong road at the wrong time of the month.
Agreed. The rabbit rule is not a fool proof solution. However, I'm more often than not on the road (commuting, going to visit clients, traveling to out of town offices,....) and this rule saved me many tickets. But I always use a superset of that rule. Never let the rabbit get out of sight. I give him lot of spaces, but I watch for a sudden tailbrake lighting up like crazy (1 out 5 it's because there's a speed trap).

For the other rules, some can apply, but luck is your only best friend. Also, speed traps are usually at the same exact spot, day after day. So, knowing where they are, you just slow down before, and regain speed after.

Well it works for me (>30000 miles/year) and no (speed) tickets in the last 10 years....

Old 03-05-2002, 10:25 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Valentine One is BEST radar money can buy!!!!

...Chance,
Glad to find someone who thinks like I do. You had the Valentine, and it didn't work??? How depressing--I heard it was amazing. And your right--common sense is most important. Thanks for the info. I was about to get a Valentine. I'll have to do more research....
Dan,

I basically use the same tactics, but I also try and have a "turtle" follow behind. A "turtle" is the perfect counterpart to the "rabbit" I always shadow. The "turtle" is someone who follows YOU over the speed limit, but lags behind to protect the rear. This has saved my A$$ at least once when I was paying attention ahead trying to pass when all of a sudden the red/blue flash behind me. I thought I was toast! Then I look up and he was pulling over the "turtle" not me.

I can not PRAISE my Valentine One enough. I mainly do HWY travel and I always travel at speeds between 10-20mph over, but sometimes in the middle of nowhere on my monthly commute home, I flat out fly. My Valentine has saved my A$$ SEVERAL times in the year I've owned it. A couple of times were probably fast enough to warrant a trip to jail. I've also avoided having to slam on the brakes like the rest of the speeding convoy, since I knew a cop was approaching. Once you learn how to "LISTEN" and properly respond to the Valentines' warnings you know what are DEADLY threats and what are warnings, so you can haul a$$ and not worry. Basically, you know what direction the threat is coming from and how close the threat is by the signal strength meter. So you can start eagle eyeing that area and slow down when the source of the signal is approaching and the strength meter peaks. Also, if you notice it's a KA-signal(NOT used by many cops) it's 100% a cop. If it's a K-signal(MOST cops use this band) it's most likely a cop. If it's a X-signal it's most likely a bogus signal and NOT a cop depending on which logic mode your using. The LASER-signal is VERY rare and is usually a "speed watch" sign. Yes, you can still get caught if the cop is using instant on radar or trying to be tricky by not having it on till he spots a fast car. However, if he hits ONE car a couple miles ahead of you and you LISTEN to the warning and temporarily slow down, which is where most people go wrong, you can slip by. I'm still learning how to use it in the city, but I rarely bring it along. The one nice feature is that it tells you how many signals are present along with the direction of the STRONGEST threat. I was saved one day going to work. I drive through the same intersection and I would ALWAYS get 4-signals(X-band), which were the automatic door openers/alarms/etc. of the surrounding gas stations and bank. However, I notice the Valentine is registering 5-signals, so for the FIRST time ever I slowly merge onto the 3-lane 50mph road, instead of running out 1st and 2nd gear, as usual. As soon as I merge I look back to notice a cop "lurking" behind one of the gas stations waiting for some sucker blowing through the light.

Other nice features are the 360-degree protection, automatic diming at dusk, and varied threat warning sounds.

If you want more info just email me.
Old 03-05-2002, 11:43 PM

Re: Valentine One is BEST radar money can buy!!!!

Originally posted by IceY2K1

I can not PRAISE my Valentine One enough. I mainly do HWY travel and I always travel at speeds between 10-20mph over, but sometimes in the middle of nowhere on my monthly commute home, I flat out fly. My Valentine has saved my A$$ SEVERAL times in the year I've owned it. A couple of times were probably fast enough to warrant a trip to jail. I've also avoided having to slam on the brakes like the rest of the speeding convoy, since I knew a cop was approaching. Once you learn how to "LISTEN" and properly respond to the Valentines' warnings you know what are DEADLY threats and what are warnings, so you can haul a$$ and not worry. Basically, you know what direction the threat is coming from and how close the threat is by the signal strength meter. So you can start eagle eyeing that area and slow down when the source of the signal is approaching and the strength meter peaks. Also, if you notice it's a KA-signal(NOT used by many cops) it's 100% a cop. If it's a K-signal(MOST cops use this band) it's most likely a cop. If it's a X-signal it's most likely a bogus signal and NOT a cop depending on which logic mode your using. The LASER-signal is VERY rare and is usually a "speed watch" sign. Yes, you can still get caught if the cop is using instant on radar or trying to be tricky by not having it on till he spots a fast car. However, if he hits ONE car a couple miles ahead of you and you LISTEN to the warning and temporarily slow down, which is where most people go wrong, you can slip by. I'm still learning how to use it in the city, but I rarely bring it along. The one nice feature is that it tells you how many signals are present along with the direction of the STRONGEST threat. I was saved one day going to work. I drive through the same intersection and I would ALWAYS get 4-signals(X-band), which were the automatic door openers/alarms/etc. of the surrounding gas stations and bank. However, I notice the Valentine is registering 5-signals, so for the FIRST time ever I slowly merge onto the 3-lane 50mph road, instead of running out 1st and 2nd gear, as usual. As soon as I merge I look back to notice a cop "lurking" behind one of the gas stations waiting for some sucker blowing through the light.

Other nice features are the 360-degree protection, automatic diming at dusk, and varied threat warning sounds.
Sweet! I'm sold. I was going to buy an apexi rsm to override my speed limiter, but what good is that when end up with some 2 point ticket or worse--jail time, fines, etc...

And good point about the turtle. It's always nice to have someone speeding behind you to take the radar and so on. I love getting civics with big, loud exhausts to try and chace me down the freeway, because you just know the cops gonna stop them.

Thanks for the info. I'm totally getting a Valentine.
Old 03-06-2002, 06:56 AM

My problem with radar detectors stemmed mostly from the fact that 99% of my driving is in the city. Even in 'City' mode, my detectors went off so much that, except on some very specific short stretches of road, they were pretty much useless. The Valentine worked pretty well detection-wise, but the arrows were virtually useless because even when they pointed directly ahead or behind there were too many places the gun could be that weren't actually on the road I was traveling.

I either had to travel no more than 5mph over the limit just to be safe, in which case I didn't really need a detector, or completely ignore it; again, in which case I didn't need a detector. People that do a lot of driving outside of the immediate city probably would have better luck.
Old 03-06-2002, 07:17 AM

Re: Re: Re: Freeway Rules

Interesting...If he was going that fast and it wasn't to catch up with you, I would say he deffinately had something urgent to get to. Like I said, cops usually go faster than the speed limit to cover more ground, but not that fast (not to mention that he wouldn't have tailgated like that if he were after you).

I had a similar experience once, where the freeway was totally clear (2am), and I was cruising at about 80. So, I see these lights comming up fast, I mean really fast. I speed up, preparing for a race, and the guy passes me like I'm standing still. It was a f*cking COP, and he was going 130 at least. Didn't care about me at all.

In the MA/NH area I've seen Mustang GT's, Camaro SS's and for the first time the other day a brand new Dark Green Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (supercharged) 2 door. It had tinted windows and looked totally stealth. I was gonna go with him but I had this little voice in my head saying no. Needless to say about 5 miles up the road he had someone pulled over... Mad lucky, or shall I say one of the best radars is your own instincts and common sense... A good radar does help though. I guess a little of all 3 things will keep you ticket free. I just gotta figure out how to set up a radar on my CBR929....
Old 03-06-2002, 07:21 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Freeway Rules

Originally posted by Tallyman
...I just gotta figure out how to set up a radar on my CBR929....
Not a problem. I've seen a Valenine One and a Garmen GPS mounted on a couple of BMW sport bikes by velcro. That stuff is amazing.
Old 03-06-2002, 07:27 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Freeway Rules

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Not a problem. I've seen a Valenine One and a Garmen GPS mounted on a couple of BMW sport bikes by velcro. That stuff is amazing.
BMW's are wicked easy to do, they already have a cigarette/accesory port on the factory. My boss has a BMW with a valentine 1 on it. I just have to figure out where to tap power, without drilling or cutting any hole in the fairing, and where/how to mount the unit steadily.. I'll figure something out I guess..
Old 03-06-2002, 08:46 AM

Yes... check this out... 7th feature in the list ... http://www.sharpsafety.com/radar-video/genesis1.htm
Old 03-06-2002, 08:55 AM

I've had that happen to me 2x but I got lucky. The first time, CHP was under an overpass. I switched over to the slow lane and he caught up to me and drove next to me for a minute. Then he made another U on the freeway and got someone else. The 2nd time, I was going 85 on a 65 zone. CHP made a U but spun out because the ground was soft from the rain. He caught up to me and I was lauging my *** off. If he had given me a ticket, I would've argued because he didn't turn his lights on when he crossed. This same CHP also made a U and got someone else. But this time, he turned his lights on before he crossed the median, which is the right thing to do.
Old 03-06-2002, 06:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I usually find someone going relatively fast and stay in behind them. But I always wondered who would get pulled over. The front car would actually be the one getting clocked but they would come up behind you first. The police would realize you were going the same speed so he might pull you over since you are easier to get to?

I usually don't go more than about 15 mph over speed limit anyways. I think there are more cops than regular citizens here in South GA.

As far as the radar detector goes, I have found that you are better off without. I used to always have a radar detector in my car. The problem is these things are not fool-proof and if you do get pulled over you can be sure you will not get off with a warning. Since I got rid of it, I have been pulled over 4 times (in 2 years) and got off with a warning every time--even for doing 64 in a 45.
Old 03-06-2002, 07:39 PM

mmm... I smell BACON!

3-4 at a time? Wow, I've never seen anything like that. It's very true that if multiple cops set up a trap you can easily get f*cked. I know all the traps on the freeways I travel. I should have mention that one must alway KNOW THE FREEWAY.
speed traps are illegal in many states, so check it out. They are in California, and if you're trapped in one, the judge will generally throw it out on a technicality. Of course they still set up traps (mostly just on surface streets in SoCal), but that's coz they know most ppl will just pay the fine and move on.

Also, California lets you plead not guilty and plead your case in writing so you should at least try that. If you don't like the verdict, you can still request a regular trial. But cops will usually show up for trials though coz they usually schedule them during the hours they're off (thus they get bank on overtime).
Old 03-06-2002, 08:43 PM

We have cameras mounted in vans and the vans move around, so it's hard to speed. While there are legal troubles with this system, the House of Reps and City are trying to work out the bugs. Yet the Senate is trying to repeal the law. Either way, the community thinks that this law is pretty stupid. Another reason that makes speeding rather difficult is that cops get to us their own private cars. Only the rookies get the squad cars. A lot of these cops run stangs and I've even heard a few SCed ones. Another popular car is the turbocharged/superchared 4Runner. These guys don't really play around when it comes to their private cars. But these are just some of the hardships of driving.
Old 03-06-2002, 09:35 PM

Re: mmm... I smell BACON!

Originally posted by xydavid

speed traps are illegal in many states, so check it out. They are in California, and if you're trapped in one, the judge will generally throw it out on a technicality. Of course they still set up traps (mostly just on surface streets in SoCal), but that's coz they know most ppl will just pay the fine and move on.

Also, California lets you plead not guilty and plead your case in writing so you should at least try that. If you don't like the verdict, you can still request a regular trial. But cops will usually show up for trials though coz they usually schedule them during the hours they're off (thus they get bank on overtime).
define what you mean by 'speed trap'? if you and i are thinking the same thing i dont see how or why it would be illegal.
Old 03-07-2002, 01:09 AM

Re: Re: mmm... I smell BACON!

Originally posted by Newman96SE

define what you mean by 'speed trap'? if you and i are thinking the same thing i dont see how or why it would be illegal.
From the California Vehicle Code: "40801. No peace officer or other person shall use a speed trap in
arresting, or participating or assisting in the arrest of, any person
for any alleged violation of this code nor shall any speed trap be
used in securing evidence as to the speed of any vehicle for the
purpose of an arrest or prosecution under this code."

You'd have to dig in the vehicle code to find out exactly how speed trap is defined.. it's listed but it's LONG. I know a few of the things they can't do (legally) are airplane surveilance and they can't use radar for enforcement on highways hat have not had a recent speed survey ..or on roads that have had a recent speed survey that shows that 85% of drivers on that roadway drive faster than the posted speed limit.

I've was told by a judge that: a cop can't be obviously trying to hide either... example, sitting in wait at night with his lights off. That's why if you see police enforcing say a stop sign or checking speed at night, they'll usually have their parking lights on. They are also not allowed to use unmarked cars for traffic stops unless you are posing a severe threat to public safety. And I've never seen CHP sitting behind bushes or trees with a radar guns like I've seen in New Mexico (that whole state is like a speed trap!)

but again, this is the California Vehicle Code. Your state's laws may vary.
Old 03-07-2002, 03:07 PM

I hate pigs

Hmmmm...It all seems to come down to deffinitions. What we call a speed trap, an officer can easily call a break, or say they were just sitting there for no reason. The cops word will always be taken over yours--end of story.

Can't use radar on the highway? No airbore surveilence? Are you sure?...I need to do some research. I'm 99% sure they can do both in cali.

In general, unless you have some serious cash, the cops will always win in court. I've had problems with my local pigs for over 5 years. I've been searched, roughed up, handcuffed, given illegitimate ticket, and much worse for as long as I can remember. I don't have the money the litigation, and in every instance they just lie and cover for each other. They even threatened to arrest me for evation once when I was just riding my bike and they didn't signal me! However, if all goes well, in a few years I will be in law school though, so we will see who has the last laugh.
Old 03-07-2002, 04:21 PM

Re: I hate pigs

Hmmmm...It all seems to come down to deffinitions. What we call a speed trap, an officer can easily call a break, or say they were just sitting there for no reason. The cops word will always be taken over yours--end of story.

Can't use radar on the highway? No airbore surveilence? Are you sure?...I need to do some research. I'm 99% sure they can do both in cali.

In general, unless you have some serious cash, the cops will always win in court. I've had problems with my local pigs for over 5 years. I've been searched, roughed up, handcuffed, given illegitimate ticket, and much worse for as long as I can remember. I don't have the money the litigation, and in every instance they just lie and cover for each other. They even threatened to arrest me for evation once when I was just riding my bike and they didn't signal me! However, if all goes well, in a few years I will be in law school though, so we will see who has the last laugh.
i dont know you do dont take this the wrong way. but by reading your post im willing to bet that you arent the most cooperative person when you interact with the police. being rude and disrepectful wont help your situation any.
Old 03-07-2002, 04:57 PM

Re: Re: I hate pigs

Originally posted by Newman96SE

i dont know you do dont take this the wrong way. but by reading your post im willing to bet that you arent the most cooperative person when you interact with the police. being rude and disrepectful wont help your situation any.
True, I'm not the most co-operative person. However, I have no problem with police doing their job--it's when they break the law that I go nuts. It's not like I was stopped for something legit, and then I was an a*shole.

What happened the FIRST time around (I was like 14 or something) is that I was stopped when walking by about 8 undercovers (I sh*t you not!) They asked if they could talk to me, and I said not unless I had done something wrong (I was just walking--doing absolutely nothing). They forcefully grabbed me and shoved me to the ground (I did not fight or try to run), searched me, grab my nuts (hard!), put me in the back of a cop car (no evidence, prob cause, nothing!), took me home, and told my parents that I was a criminal and that they wanted to search my room. Throughout this whole ordeal, I was protesting that they were violating the rights given to all americans under the constitution. I pointed out every violation that they made. They told me "We are the police and we can do whatever we want to you." THIS IS WHY I HATE PIGS! I'm not some stupid a*shole that just runs his mouth for no reason!
Old 03-07-2002, 05:38 PM
The Definitive AE Master

here is a link to help you talk your way out of a traffic ticket. The website is a little weird, but just read the content and don't pay attention to the things on the side.

http://www.ernieshouseofwhoopass.com/nospeeding.html
Old 03-07-2002, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by Larrio
here is a link to help you talk your way out of a traffic ticket. The website is a little weird, but just read the content and don't pay attention to the things on the side.

http://www.ernieshouseofwhoopass.com/nospeeding.html
Thanks for the link. There is some good info there. Lots of stuff I mentioned and lots I didn't.

However, it did get one thing wrong--"90% of cops are NOT a*sholes." Wrong wrong wrong! If someone has the mentality that makes them want to be a cop, then they are 90% likely to be an a*shole. I haven't read the studies, but my psychology proffessor explained that personallity testing has proven that police generally have the same personallity traits as drug using, drug dealling criminals (I swear). There are two kinds of criminals: those who have badges and those who don't. It's sad but true.
Old 03-07-2002, 06:23 PM
The Definitive AE Master

I think it's a matter of luck and the location you got pulled over at. My friends get a lot of trouble from white cops cause of their rice rockets and hair cuts which cops assume that they are gangsters. Ok... so i'm not trying to start any racial issues here.. but come on.... it happens in the U.S. I got tons of stories of cops abusing their power... and it's been put on the news. But sometimes, just sometimes, you meet a nice one that will let you off your speeding ticket.
Old 03-07-2002, 06:28 PM

This topic is incredibly popular here.

I used the rule to "to find a speeding demon" and follow him in a pack. It worked for me for 4 years. One summer day my belief in this got shattered, after cops pulled over like 15 cars at once, all left lane.

Rules vary from state to stae. In Maryland, cops use Ford Crown Vics 95% of the time. I am extremely careful when passing Crown Vics, because it may be unmarked police car. I look for certain license plate numbers, and signs of police package (dual exhaust, extra antennas on trunk lid, type of wheels/covers, and projector light on the driver's door, blue strobe lights behind the rear window). If any of those present, I slow the **** down.

Quick Reply: FREEWAY RULES. (really long)