5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Looking to Buy 2002 SE 6-speed-3 questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2002, 08:39 AM
crank

Looking to Buy 2002 SE 6-speed-3 questions

I've been lurking here for some time and I'm about to finally take the plunge and get a 2002 SE 6-Speed. I'm looking for a little advice.
1). I have 3 color choices with the equipment I want, Sterling Mist, Majestic Blue and Merlot. I've seen all of the posts regarding paint chipping issues and would like to know from those with experience, which of the above colors will resist chipping better (or not look as bad once the inevitable chipping occurs)?
2.) Unless I go with Merlot, I have 2 interior color choices, Black or Frost. It will have Cloth interior. Is the Black a lint magnet and/or is the Frost difficult to keep clean? Which will cause me less clean-up headaches?
3). Finally, here's the deal I've been offered. How good a deal do you think this is? SE, 6-speed, Sunroof, Sunroof wind deflector, Floor Mats-$24,343 (Sticker is 27,036, Invoice per Edmunds is $24,294)
Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-07-2002, 08:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Looking to Buy 2002 SE 6-speed-3 questions

Originally posted by crank
I've been lurking here for some time and I'm about to finally take the plunge and get a 2002 SE 6-Speed. I'm looking for a little advice.
1). I have 3 color choices with the equipment I want, Sterling Mist, Majestic Blue and Merlot. I've seen all of the posts regarding paint chipping issues and would like to know from those with experience, which of the above colors will resist chipping better (or not look as bad once the inevitable chipping occurs)?
2.) Unless I go with Merlot, I have 2 interior color choices, Black or Frost. It will have Cloth interior. Is the Black a lint magnet and/or is the Frost difficult to keep clean? Which will cause me less clean-up headaches?
3). Finally, here's the deal I've been offered. How good a deal do you think this is? SE, 6-speed, Sunroof, Sunroof wind deflector, Floor Mats-$24,343 (Sticker is 27,036, Invoice per Edmunds is $24,294)
I have Sterling mist and my chips are not too noticable until you are on top of the car. I have the black cloth as well and it seems fine for lint and what-not, I have 2 kids and it holds up great to them.

The deal sounds good. Does it have HLSD (limited Slip Dif)? I would definitely try to get it if not, have them add it, it is worth it. Don't let them make you pay for that deflector, that is add on crap, I took mine off. I had this nasty dirt mark all the way around the thing when I took it off. That just traps dirt under it and doesn't to anything for me.

I would go with the Sterling Silver or Majestic Blue, they are both my Favorites.

Good luck
Old 03-07-2002, 09:09 AM
JBH

I have the black cloth and it doesn't seem to attract lint. I would also think it would be easier than trying to keep the frost clean.
My buddy has a steriling mist and I would recommend that color. Scratches and chips don't seem to be noticible and he says it is easy to keep clean.
Old 03-07-2002, 09:14 AM

The Majestic Blue is very nice and not as common as the others, but for some reason darker colors tends to hi-light chips more. I would go with the Sterling Mist, which looks really HOT with the clear tails ("wish I got Mist instead of Black").

Now for the interior I have frost leather and it is hard as hell to keep clean so I don't know about frost cloth black is always a safe bet.

Perfect combo IMO:
Sterling Mist exterior
Frost Leather/cloth interior

Good luck on the new car

PS: The price sound really good.
Old 03-07-2002, 09:22 AM
Administrator

he said only 3 questions.. so if he buys a maxima and posts here again.. he said only 3 so he can't ask anymore questions
Old 03-07-2002, 11:13 AM
crank

Touche!

Really, though, thanks for the help. Whenever I go to buy a car I research the hell out of it, then begin to get confused right as I'm about to make a deal.

Anybody else with an opinion, feel free to chime in.

Thanks again

Old 03-07-2002, 11:14 AM

Re: Looking to Buy 2002 SE 6-speed-3 questions

I bought my '02 6-sp. three weeks ago. I got Sterliing Mist w/ Frost cloth interior, moon roof and floor mats for just under $23K. I got lucky and got a loss-leader from the dealer. Your price is good but it is possible to do better.

I was set on a black interior before this opportunity came up. I really like the frost though. I have two kids and it has gotten a little dirty but it cleaned up well.

It's probably the most fun car I've ever driven. Good luck!
Old 03-07-2002, 11:14 AM
Cant..leave..the..ORG!!

I have the Majestic blue with black cloth.
they interior is a snap to keep clean, but the outside is a whole nother ball game. I love the color when clean (or even mostly clean) but I can tell you the chips show (and espcially to you since its your) at times it kinda looks like I have dust on my hood from the dern chips. Cant wait for spring to finally set in for good so I can touch up all the chips and get a clear 3M bra put on the hood part!!!
Old 03-07-2002, 11:28 AM
crank

Skeezix, how'd you get $1300 under invoice? Maybe I should have you do the negotiating for me!!

Old 03-07-2002, 11:35 AM

Great deal skeezix, I got mine as Demo at a great price. I wish I would have gottne the Sterling Mist as that is a good looking color on the 2k2 but looks at its best on the 1997-99 Se's.
Old 03-07-2002, 02:58 PM

Skeezix, how'd you get $1300 under invoice? Maybe I should have you do the negotiating for me!!
It was in the paper as one of those "1 at this price" sales. My buddy, (who's on the org) brought in the ad. I went to the dealer that night (78 miles away) and bought the car. It was Valentine's Day and the place was empty. It was such a good deal, my wife wasn't mad that I bailed on her! She was probably relieved.
Old 03-07-2002, 03:12 PM

You want Merlot! See my Sig for details.

Stereodude
Old 03-07-2002, 05:07 PM

I have the frost cloth interior in my 2k2. It is really easy to keep clean, with the exception of the floor mats. I live where it rains kind of a lot, so I'm sure that makes them harder to keep clean. I agree that is a very good price, and that the chips on the Sterling Silver shouldn't show up as much.
Old 03-07-2002, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by Stereodude
You want Merlot! See my Sig for details.

Stereodude
merlot with black interior = classy as **** but its really not a popular color at all. stereodude is rolling in unique style.
Old 03-07-2002, 06:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I did a lot of research as well, but it seems as though I keep coming back to the Maxima. I've had an '88, '89, '95 and now an '02- all purchased new. They just keep getting better and better. My new SE is a 6 spd and it's great. As a matter of fact, all of my Maximas have had manual trannys.

I looked at the Acura TL Type S, the Volkswagen Passat, and the Lexus IS 300. None could beat the Maxima in options for the price. And I KNOW the car's reliable. I've driven them for the past 13 years!

As mine is still new, I can't speak to paint chips, although my '95 Maxima (Black Emerald) was prone to them, although not as bad as my '89 one (charcoal grey). So, maybe the Nissan paint has improved over the years. I think with any car you are going to get some chips, especially with interstate driving.

Good luck with your car search!
Old 03-07-2002, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by cintow

As mine is still new, I can't speak to paint chips, although my '95 Maxima (Black Emerald) was prone to them, although not as bad as my '89 one (charcoal grey). So, maybe the Nissan paint has improved over the years. I think with any car you are going to get some chips, especially with interstate driving.
my car is a week old. i just washed it today and found a handful of fairly large paint chips on the hood
Old 03-08-2002, 05:16 AM

Originally posted by Newman96SE

merlot with black interior = classy as **** but its really not a popular color at all. stereodude is rolling in unique style.
Newman, did your car come with those pedals? Or did you put them in?
Old 03-08-2002, 05:20 AM

When I went to get my car they tried to put me into one of those "1 at this price" cars. I fought for hours with them azzholes. I finally got the car "I" wanted and got them to use the factory coupon to get the rate down. Unfortunately I was upside-down as the Titanic so I had to tac like 4k on top of the great deal I got. Oh well. I feel it is worth it.

They tried to push me into a Max that I didnt even want, and SE with Noting! in it. Worse it had that near-white interior in it. There was already a big Muddy footprint in the floor-mat and I was like NO WAY. Stick to your guns and you will get what you want. I had to leave twice, but they came around.
Old 03-08-2002, 05:43 AM
crank

Thanks again everyone. Stereodude, Merlot is the color I like the best, but I'm a bit apprehensive about a dark color with all of the paint issues I've read about. I know you've only had yours for a day or so and it's currently out of commission, so I'm sure you haven't had any paint issues yet. Anyone else that has Merlot care to comment?

Old 03-08-2002, 05:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

my car is a week old. i just washed it today and found a handful of fairly large paint chips on the hood
Not very encouraging. Is Nissan doing anything about it?
Old 03-08-2002, 06:50 AM

Thanks again everyone. Stereodude, Merlot is the color I like the best, but I'm a bit apprehensive about a dark color with all of the paint issues I've read about. I know you've only had yours for a day or so and it's currently out of commission, so I'm sure you haven't had any paint issues yet. Anyone else that has Merlot care to comment?
It's back in commission. I got it back yesterday morning. So far the paint's fine, but it's only got about 600km on the odo.

Stereodude
Old 03-08-2002, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by dblrr900

Newman, did your car come with those pedals? Or did you put them in?
those are the HLSD pedals that come with the car.

It's back in commission. I got it back yesterday morning. So far the paint's fine, but it's only got about 600km on the odo.

Stereodude
you decided to just leave your car reading in km? i guess there isnt anything you can do about it unless you claim yours is one of the messed up ones.
Old 03-08-2002, 10:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Stereodude
Now THAT's a beautiful car! It was my second choice after the grey! BTW- I have 1100 miles on the odo and no paint problems. We took it on a trip into the Appalachians and the car did just great! I'm about to go hand wash it right now.
Old 03-08-2002, 11:06 AM

You decided to just leave your car reading in km? i guess there isnt anything you can do about it unless you claim yours is one of the messed up ones.
Why not? It doesn't hurt anything. I can replace the IP and the HVAC and go english, but I don't really see the point. I'd rather not risk getting some rattles or squeaks in the car by tearing the IP apart.

Stereodude
Old 03-08-2002, 06:28 PM

I traded from a merlot 5spd with black leather to an 02 sterling mist with black leather and all the goodies (nav, leather, heated seats/wheel, etc.). I loved the merlot, but I'm a much bigger fan now of the silver...dirt doesn't show, looks great with dark tint and clear corners, just all around a better look than my merlot.

Sounds like you are getting a great deal. Mine wasn't that good. Good luck. The black leather at least on the 02 is truly black, and not grayish/black as in my 01 I traded.

srm
Old 03-08-2002, 07:02 PM

those are the HLSD pedals that come with the car.

I got jacked then!!! Damnnn!!
Old 03-08-2002, 07:23 PM

get sterling mist......doesn't look as stylish as the majestic blue, but you don't have to wash it all the time.......
Old 03-08-2002, 09:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Damn ... no wonder dealers hate me

I keep demanding a fully loaded SE w/ 6 spd sans nav system for $25K. Of course, I may have to wait until/if the rebate reaches $2500.

Sounds like all the paint chips, but the light colors don't show as much. I like the dark colors so I plan on setting up an appointment with a 3M bra installer before I ever pick "mine" up.

Good luck regardless of the path ye choose.

Spaz96
Old 03-08-2002, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by dblrr900

I got jacked then!!! Damnnn!!
do you have HLSD? not all 6 speeds come with those pedals.
Old 03-09-2002, 10:42 AM

I've also been lurking around Maxima.org for a while now just to see what most of you guys talk about in general. Overall, I've felt that alot of you guys are very egotistical and suspected that the Max was overrated (I have a pretty well modded 1999 I4 Accord and enjoy performance Hondas. So I had my own biases.)

So, I had the chance today to checkout both the 2k2 Max SE (auto) and the Altima 3.5SE. Now, the Altima is just BUTT UGLY (inside and out) but DUDES!! I'm sold on the 2k2 Maxima BIGTIME!! Man, that has to be the fastest sedan under $40G (and maybe even under $50G with the new M3 @ $50G+)!! And the option package is very impressive for the price. After 'experiencing' the new Max SE, I ran over to the Acura dealership to checkout the TL-S but, then I became less impressed with the TL!?! (What's happening to me? Am I becoming Nissan-ized? )

And much to my surprise, I didn't know that the base Max (GXE) also packs the same VQ35 w/255hp that the SE and GLE have!! WHOA; same power punch, less payment punch (And the Base Accord gives you only 135hp.)

But I have one question for you guys: How do you rate the quality of your Max? IF I make this trade up, I'm going to have the Max for a while and don't want any quality issues to ruin an otherwise fine car.

F23A4
Old 03-09-2002, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by F23A4
I've also been lurking around Maxima.org for a while now just to see what most of you guys talk about in general. Overall, I've felt that alot of you guys are very egotistical and suspected that the Max was overrated (I have a pretty well modded 1999 I4 Accord and enjoy performance Hondas. So I had my own biases.)

So, I had the chance today to checkout both the 2k2 Max SE (auto) and the Altima 3.5SE. Now, the Altima is just BUTT UGLY (inside and out) but DUDES!! I'm sold on the 2k2 Maxima BIGTIME!! Man, that has to be the fastest sedan under $40G (and maybe even under $50G with the new M3 @ $50G+)!! And the option package is very impressive for the price. After 'experiencing' the new Max SE, I ran over to the Acura dealership to checkout the TL-S but, then I became less impressed with the TL!?! (What's happening to me? Am I becoming Nissan-ized? )

And much to my surprise, I didn't know that the base Max (GXE) also packs the same VQ35 w/255hp that the SE and GLE have!! WHOA; same power punch, less payment punch (And the Base Accord gives you only 135hp.)

But I have one question for you guys: How do you rate the quality of your Max? IF I make this trade up, I'm going to have the Max for a while and don't want any quality issues to ruin an otherwise fine car.

F23A4
I used to be a honda guy too. I love my max now. I love the low end torque and the car is all of what my honda was and a little more. I wouold recommend the max to a Honda guy. Go for it, I dont think you will be dissapointed.
Old 03-09-2002, 02:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've only had my 2k2 Max for about 10 days, and everything is great. As I've said before, this is my 4th and I've never had a major problem with any of them. The O2 sensor went out on my '95 model at about 15K miles, but Nissan replaced it with no problem and it was later recalled. I put 95K on it before I traded it.

For the $$, it's hard to beat!
Old 03-09-2002, 08:01 PM

you should have bought leather i hope?

coming off a gmc 200 sierra truck loaded without leather? I regret that decision. anyways, my 2k2 max 6 speed loaded has leather and is very convenient to clean. the car smells awesome with the right applications to the leather. not like cloth where "air freshners" will help.................
it is easier to repair leather than cloth.....
oh by the way i raced a an audi 24 (very fast) he pulled hard then i flipped the "switch" my wheels smoked and i left his BMW M3 Wannabe ***........ at the next light? he turned away.
Old 03-09-2002, 08:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I got a 2002 Super Black SE 6M with sunroof, and floor mats for $23k. Less than that if you consider how they traded with me. I traded a 2000 Durango that I knew I would be upside down on. They gave me $3k more than what the wholesaler told them after they already said what they would give me.
Old 03-09-2002, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by F23A4

F23A4
I've got a 1995 Maxima SE 5 speed with 110,000 miles on her. So far I've replaced the starter twice and had the o2 sensors replaced. Thats it. I highly recommend them.
Old 03-10-2002, 04:44 AM
hilmar2k

I have the Merlot/black cloth combo and love it. So far no chips in 5000+ miles. The interior still looks brand new (except for the mats), which isn't bad for a New England winter. Sounds like a decent price, I bought the identical car for $23,800, but it was a steal. Unfortunately I got killed on my trade, that will teach me to buy a Dodge. Anyway, I love the Merlot because you don't see mant, it's just tough to keep clean.

Old 03-10-2002, 12:44 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I only have a couple of hangups with the Max: 1) I don't like the color combos with the Max. I'd like to get a GXE or SE with the Merlot, Tungsten Blue, Majestic Blue or Super Black exterior but I want the Blond interior, which doesn't appear to be offered (yet). And 2) I don't like the type of plastic in the interior trim. My Accord's plastic trim is more pliable than that of the Maxima's, so my fear is that it (The Maxima's) may crack at some point soon.

Right now, the 2k2 (or maybe 2k3) Max is tops on my list for a September 2002 purchase. I'm just waiting to see the 2k3 Accord V6 before I make my final decision. (Not to mention, I'm eyeballing a pre-owned 330i.) Decisions, decisions!?!

F23A4
Old 03-10-2002, 02:32 PM
apocnmbr1

hey guys....I work at a nissan dealership...if u guys need any help on how to get a good deal or any other questions...ive got almost all the answers....I'll be glad to help!!

Old 03-11-2002, 06:28 AM
crank

Hey, Hilmar2K, I noticed you live in Massachusetts. Where did you get your Max?

Old 03-15-2002, 10:55 AM
crank

New choice. Now I can get a Grey Lustre with the same equipment. I went to look at it yesterday and really liked it. Anybody have any experiences with the Grey paint and how well it holds up?

Quick Reply: Looking to Buy 2002 SE 6-speed-3 questions