5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

questions for NE1 with NAV...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2002, 07:25 PM

questions for NE1 with NAV...

Can it be operated while the car is in motion?
i heard some Nav's cannot be used while the car moves over 5mph????
and does it come with a disc for the entire USA? or just particular region?
can these discs be ordered?
since the NAV is CD-ROM based, is it much slower than a DVD based NAV?
Old 03-08-2002, 12:04 AM

Re: questions for NE1 with NAV...

Originally posted by KobeCow
Can it be operated while the car is in motion?
i heard some Nav's cannot be used while the car moves over 5mph????
and does it come with a disc for the entire USA? or just particular region?
can these discs be ordered?
since the NAV is CD-ROM based, is it much slower than a DVD based NAV?
You can operate SOME functions. Like you can set a destination from your address book, but most of the functions are disabled when you're moving AT ALL... even rolling stop. So forget about your passenger programming while you're driving.
Old 03-08-2002, 06:43 PM

Some subordinate functions are disabled while driving; probably for the best. But you can set a preprogrammed destination. You cannot browse for a place of service and all the other stuff. You must be sitting still.

As for speed, works pretty quick to me, but I have nothing to compare.

As far as the disks, they are regionalized and they can be ordered, but they are expenseive. Also, when I ordered two additional disks, I got a program upgrade disk, so anyone that has NOT ordered disks since December, you may want to call the company and ask for the upgrade disk. they certainly didn't tell me there was one when I ordered, it just showed up. I can't tell you though, what the upgrade was for.

A complaint I have of the system is this: if you have as a destination an area that is on another regional disk than where your present location is, the system doesn't recognize this and therefore, you have to at least get to the edge of your zone, then pop in the next appropriate CD once you cross into the new region. For example, I am in Tennessee which is on one disk, and my family lives in Florida, which is on another. Although I can pull up the Florida maps when sitting here in Tennessee and program a destination, when I pop in the Tennesse disk and set Florida as a destination, it can't do anything...doesn't recognize that I'm going to an area beyond the boudndaries of my existing disk parameters. So, I guess as long as you know a city/location at the outer edge of where you are, you are ok, but if you don't, then not much luck navigating you from one zone to another. I haven't made the trip with this scenario yet, but it will be interesting when I do.

I think the system is really great; it has already helped me get to work by navigating backroads I wouldn't have had a clue about without it once when the highway was shut down. Realize you don't get all the street detail in minor cities, but you do get most major streets and thoroughfares. I love the touch screen functions...reminds me of my 1986 Buick Riviera which was chastised for it's touch screen control center...guess it was just ahead of its time.

I also like the fact that you just touch it and things pop up; all kind of information on route guidance, where am I now? scenarios and quick-stop information (gas, restaurants, etc.). Now that I have it, I can't imagine being without it. Kind of like a cell phone, once you have one, you don't ever want to be without.

ok, enough rambling...did I answer all your questions??? Wait...I have a question: the manual says it can play audio CD's. When I ordered my extra disks, the technician told me it could not play audio. I haven't tried for fear of something screwy happening. Has anyone else out there played audio on their nav system??

srm
Old 03-08-2002, 06:58 PM

Audio CDs

Just pop in an audio disc in the CD-ROM slot and an audio touch screen will come up on the screen. Only downside is that the steering wheel controls don't control an audio disc in the navi system. One question - I am trying to burn a backup of my regional CD-ROM, but the navi unit doesn't recognize the burned disc - any advice - I'm using philips write 2 cd on the data mode and I am closing the disc - any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-08-2002, 07:26 PM

Re: Audio CDs

Originally posted by 2002 Max SE
Just pop in an audio disc in the CD-ROM slot and an audio touch screen will come up on the screen. Only downside is that the steering wheel controls don't control an audio disc in the navi system. One question - I am trying to burn a backup of my regional CD-ROM, but the navi unit doesn't recognize the burned disc - any advice - I'm using philips write 2 cd on the data mode and I am closing the disc - any help is appreciated.

Thanks
I was able to backup using NERO. I just selected "copy disk" and it worked.

Anyone want to "see" my MCA-8 CD in exchange for a "peak" of your region's MCA CD?...

MCA-8 includes Philadelphia, NYC, half of PA, D.C. MD, NJ, NY...

For more info on MCA CD regions goto:

http://www.zenrin.com

Also, are there any kind neighboring Canadians with Toronto, ON region CD?...

G