5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rear bumper is more than 10mph!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 11:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Rear bumper is more than 10mph!!!

Well yeah, I got hit last night. Me and my brothers were just finishing up moving into my new apartment and we had this bag of clothes left they no one wore anymore, so we was on our way to this 7-11 that has this clothes donation box. I get to US Route 1 to make the right, I yielded to make the right and SLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM! I got hit from the back. I mean it was hard, cause my neck hurts alot today.

This is the worst part, guess who hit me? My little **** BROTHER!!! He hit me in his Mazda MX6. I got out and was like WTF! are you looking at? He said he was not looking and thought I already make the right.

I got out to expect major damage. I saw ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!. I mean under clother and lighted area, we notices very very very small scratches that can be buffed out with rubbing compound. He was suprised too. I probably would not have had anything if it was not for that freagin license plate holder that jammed me up.

So I can say for sure, the rear bumper can take a 10+ mph hit.

Dixit
Old 03-10-2002, 11:58 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Rear bumper is more than 10mph!!!

Well, I am pretty sure there is damage under the BUMPER COVER. Remove it and you will see it.

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Well yeah, I got hit last night. Me and my brothers were just finishing up moving into my new apartment and we had this bag of clothes left they no one wore anymore, so we was on our way to this 7-11 that has this clothes donation box. I get to US Route 1 to make the right, I yielded to make the right and SLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM! I got hit from the back. I mean it was hard, cause my neck hurts alot today.

This is the worst part, guess who hit me? My little **** BROTHER!!! He hit me in his Mazda MX6. I got out and was like WTF! are you looking at? He said he was not looking and thought I already make the right.

I got out to expect major damage. I saw ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!. I mean under clother and lighted area, we notices very very very small scratches that can be buffed out with rubbing compound. He was suprised too. I probably would not have had anything if it was not for that freagin license plate holder that jammed me up.

Dixit

Old 03-10-2002, 12:39 PM

Re: Re: Rear bumper is more than 10mph!!!

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
Well, I am pretty sure there is damage under the BUMPER COVER. Remove it and you will see it.

Your right, our honda odyssey got slammed by a 4th gen maxima a year ago.. didnt see any visible damage exept scratches, but we got quoted 600dollars...
Old 03-10-2002, 01:40 PM

10+ mph...haha, try taking a hit from the older Mercedez-Benz, the ones with like reinforced steel for bumpers...backing out of my friends driveway, his driveway is a downward spiral on ahill type thing, didnt check my rear view for sum gay *** reason and hit my friends 80s M-benz at like 7mph, even if that, and put a dent a good 6inches wide, 4 inches deep into my right rear corner...i was bawling outta control...his car had like 3 faint lines going across it...i was like wtf...
atw
Old 03-10-2002, 02:11 PM

i wish my max's bumper was like that, last summer some idiot hit the max's rear bumper from the left, dumb bumper was pushed in and was cracked. russ is probably right though, there should be some damage on the inside.
Old 03-10-2002, 03:11 PM

Are you saying the entire bumper is up to 10mph!!! I got rearended by an RX300 in my left corner and got a HUGE dent and over $500 to fix it. P.S.- this happened in a Best Buy parking lot so it was under 5 mph.
Old 03-10-2002, 04:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I got rear-ended about 3 days after I bought my new Max. A guy in a S-10 pickup let his foot slip off the clutch and he smacked me hard. I got out and expected my bumper to mashed in but there wasn't even a scratch. Got a police report anyway just in case I found something wrong in the next couple of days. I took it to the dealer and had him put it on the rack and check out the area behind the bumper and there was no damage. I'm sure the flat part of the bumber is a little tougher than the corners, too.
Old 03-12-2002, 01:21 AM

it's good to hear that our bumpers can hold up to that speed.

but just to add a little rain...you'll notice that around the side of the bumper the ridges will not match up and with light you'll notice that is a little warped.

but, congrats that nothing major happened
Old 03-12-2002, 05:18 AM

Re: Rear bumper is more than 10mph!!!

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Dixit

uhm no ... or at least not everyones! This is what my car looks like now. $1100 to get it repaired and that is the cheap estimate.

http://images.cardomain.com/installs...77_56_full.jpg

It destroyed the rear bumper cover, cracked the tail lamp, pushed the tail lamp housing back causing the rear quarter panel to be bent and split the paint around the contour, broke the rear clear lamp, cracked the styrofoam insert and bent the inner structural brace. That was at no more than 5 mph. So you got lucky, or I got a lemon.