5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Autoweek article considers Acura TL...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2002, 12:18 PM

Autoweek article considers Acura TL...

and Toyota Avalon competitors to the Maxima; since when. They are nowhere near competition. I've always considered the Maxima competition to VW Passat, BMW 3's, and lexus ES300/GS300 etc. and not just in power!

Autoweek Article

Is it just me or are the mags downplaying our lux/sport attributes, and classifying us under the normal category.
Old 03-11-2002, 12:22 PM

Re: Autoweek article considers Acura TL...

Originally posted by QUE2K2GLE
and Toyota Avalon competitors to the Maxima; since when. They are nowhere near competition. I've always considered the Maxima competition to VW Passat, BMW 3's, and lexus ES300/GS300 etc. and not just in power!

Autoweek Article

Is it just me or are the mags downplaying our lux/sport attributes, and classifying us under the normal category.
Its what Nissan thinks, not autoweek, It is an Autoweek article, sorry.
Old 03-11-2002, 12:26 PM
is invisible

I can see the Passat in competition with the Max, but not the other 2. BMW is smaller and RWD. Lexus competes with Infiniti.

btw, you can edit your post.
Old 03-11-2002, 03:00 PM

comparison vehicles

Acura's TL type-S is certainly a reasonable competitor to the Maxima. I seriously considered the TL but gave up because they don't ship a manual version.

I do agree with Avalon being more in league with an i30.
Old 03-11-2002, 04:32 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Autoweek article considers Acura TL...

Well it did say It's engine surpasses the more UPSCALE competitors Acura TL and ....

Originally posted by QUE2K2GLE

Autoweek Article

Old 03-11-2002, 04:33 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: comparison vehicles

Originally posted by ajahearn
Acura's TL type-S is certainly a reasonable competitor to the Maxima. I seriously considered the TL but gave up because they don't ship a manual version.

I do agree with Avalon being more in league with an i30.
Honda vs Nissan
Acura vs Infiniti

It's not Nissan vs Acura

Old 03-11-2002, 04:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Autoweek article considers Acura TL...

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
Well it did say It's engine surpasses the more UPSCALE competitors Acura TL and ....
No, Russ, as much as I'm sure you'd like to see that...it said "Engine power surpasses that of upscale sedan rivals like the Toyota Avalon and Acura TL." The word MORE is not in the article...you have added that yourself. The phrase "upscale sedan rivals" suggests that the Maxima, TL, and Avalon are in the category of "upscale sedan."

A similar, unrelated, comparison would be to say the following:

Mike Tyson outpowers his heavyweight rivals like Evander Holyfield and Lennox Louis.

This should be properly interpreted to mean that all three: Tyson, Holyfield, and Louis are "heavyweight rivals" and one of the three outpowers the other two. It does not mean that Tyson is not a heavyweight as you have interpreted the Autoweek article.
Old 03-11-2002, 05:04 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Re: Autoweek article considers Acura TL...

If I wanted to put it word for word I would have dumbass. I just put a sum it up version. And I don't see it saying the Maxima is a UPSCALE. Only the engine competes and has more power than the UPSCALE cars. That is what I see. Guess what, yeah it surpasses that of the TL, not the TL-S or CL-S.

Geez some of a few idiots that reply to posts to pick on **** like this are ****ing asses. Grow the **** up.

Old 03-11-2002, 05:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Autoweek article considers Acura TL...

If I wanted to put it word for word I would have dumbass. I just put a sum it up version. And I don't see it saying the Maxima is a UPSCALE. Only the engine competes and has more power than the UPSCALE cars. That is what I see. Guess what, yeah it surpasses that of the TL, not the TL-S or CL-S.

Geez some of a few idiots that reply to posts to pick on **** like this are ****ing asses. Grow the **** up.
Russ thats very hypocritical of you. You need to grow up also. It shows real maturity to cuss at people and get mad at someone over the internet. Shows what little class you have. Your a great role model for the Acura Tl/CL community
Old 03-11-2002, 05:21 PM

And I don't see it saying the Maxima is a UPSCALE. Only the engine competes and has more power than the UPSCALE cars. That is what I see. Guess what, yeah it surpasses that of the TL, not the TL-S or CL-S.
You didn't have to curse me out, Russ. I just pointed out the fact that the article refers to the Maxima's upscale sedan rivals.The "Maxima's upscale sedan rivals" suggests that the "rivals" and the "Maxima" fall into the category of "upscale sedan." I even gave you an example of a similar comparison with prize fighters to explain what I meant. I understand completely that you think the TL is more upscale, but the article's verbiage does not suggest that.
Old 03-11-2002, 05:24 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Autoweek article considers Acura TL...

Originally posted by MAX2000JP

Russ thats very hypocritical of you. You need to grow up also. It shows real maturity to cuss at people and get mad at someone over the internet. Shows what little class you have. Your a great role model for the Acura Tl/CL community
I don't give a ****. He has ****ed me off. He does this **** to every damn post I reply in. He needs to get a ****ing life and respect other people. Until he does that I am going to be a ****ing ***.

Old 03-11-2002, 05:37 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Autoweek article considers Acura TL...

I don't give a ****. He has ****ed me off. He does this **** to every damn post I reply in. He needs to get a ****ing life and respect other people. Until he does that I am going to be a ****ing ***.
whoa.. chill tiger
Old 03-11-2002, 05:43 PM

Imagine how little we'd have to listen to Russ if the moderator filtered out all his asterisks!!
Old 03-11-2002, 06:10 PM

My reply was pretty tame Russ. I just think you were misinterpreting the article and I pointed out my opinion. There was no reason for you to react so dramatically...a simple, "I disagree," would have been sufficient. My sarcasm was dramatically subdued in this thread, to say the very least.

However, in regards to me having respect for you. I'm afraid you're going to have to earn it, I don't grant it by default.
Old 03-11-2002, 06:15 PM

Aren't you supposed to be in the Acura-CL forum ?
Old 03-11-2002, 06:22 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Autoweek article considers Acura TL...

Originally posted by madmax2k1

Aren't you supposed to be in the Acura-CL forum ?
Hey newbie, no one asked you.

Old 03-11-2002, 06:24 PM

Hey, Russ....have you ever considered anger management counseling?

I've been on this site for almost 5 years (under a couple names) and you haven't mellowed out one bit from when you and Andi went at it

As for the TL and Maxima competing, as much as you guys want to say people don't or they do, people do cross shop the two, especially the TLP vs. the GLE. We looked at a Max GLE and an I30 (and Passat, and Accord) before getting the TL-S. The wife wanted a Honda, so we got one - end of story.

IMHO, the comparison to the BMW, IS300 or Audi A4 is a stretch - all 3 are significantly smaller and rear wheel drive(or awd)

Enjoy your ride, no matter who built it.
Old 03-11-2002, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by 2maxgarage
As for the TL and Maxima competing, as much as you guys want to say people don't or they do, people do cross shop the two, especially the TLP vs. the GLE. We looked at a Max GLE and an I30 (and Passat, and Accord) before getting the TL-S. The wife wanted a Honda, so we got one - end of story.

IMHO, the comparison to the BMW, IS300 or Audi A4 is a stretch - all 3 are significantly smaller and rear wheel drive(or awd)

Enjoy your ride, no matter who built it.
I agree with you on the 3-series, IS, and A4 comparison...smaller cars for a different market. It does depend, however, on what you're shopping for. Some people make price a bigger issue, some performance, some luxury, some overall satisfaction. In some people's buying decision, the difference in size and FWD/RWD may not actually be a variable in choosing.

I think it is perfectly evident that the TL and Maxima are competitive vehicles and anybody who is considering one should certainly consider the other. They offer comparable features, similar dimensions, and similar performance in the same price category.
Old 03-11-2002, 06:41 PM
RussMaxManiac

Just a heads up, the A4 is no longer small, its actually as big or bigger than the Maxima. Drove a new one, and it was bigger than i wanted. 2002 A4 that is.

Old 03-11-2002, 07:02 PM

Just a heads up, the A4 is no longer small, its actually as big or bigger than the Maxima. Drove a new one, and it was bigger than i wanted. 2002 A4 that is.
179 inches long and 3400 pounds is big? Its smaller than a 5th Gen
Old 03-11-2002, 07:11 PM

I've seen this debate on a lot of different boards/forums.

IMO what we have here is 2 cars(TL,TLS/Max) that are very simular in size, HP, performance and because the Maxima has a 260HP engine and other luxo options it can be configured to have the same features as other entry-level lux cars.

The debate usually stems from the opinion that Acura competes with Infiniti, or cars that are built buy luxo marques. Therefore no matter how well dress your Maxima may be it is still a Nissan which doesn't put it in the same class as a ACURA TL.

The thing people don't realize is that the cars we debate are rebadged, dressed up versions of a mainstream best seller (Camry/ES300, Accord/TL,TLS), and does that make them true Luxuary cars? If I bought a Camry XLE am I dumb for thinking my car is luxuious when there is a ES300 with simular features or am I a frugal shopper for not paying the extra 3-5K for the ES?

Lets be real with each other. People who are looking for Luxuary, Status or are making a statement with the car they drive "I'm a success," don't buy Acura, Infiniti or Nissan no matter how well built we know our cars are they buy Mercedes, BMW and Lexus(GS and higher). Buy the car that best suites you for what ever reason you bought it and have fun driving it. It's just a Car.
Old 03-11-2002, 07:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

...and these are the Days of Our Lives. (Intro Days of Our Lives Music)
Old 03-11-2002, 07:21 PM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by MAX2000JP

179 inches long and 3400 pounds is big? Its smaller than a 5th Gen
Man it is shorter. When I had parked it next to the max and when you drive it, it felt alot bigger! doh!

Old 03-11-2002, 08:40 PM

I looked at TLs and Maxima before I purchased the Maxima.
that's the only 2 cars I compared when shopping.
Old 03-11-2002, 09:49 PM

Is this the type of garbage that we need on the org? Please correct me if I'm wrong, isn't this site supposed to be for 5th gen Max owners exchanging information with one another in a friendly emvironment? Anyway, I do hope a moderator has the sense to ban him from our site. Just my $.02.
Old 03-12-2002, 05:42 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Autoweek article considers Acura TL...

Originally posted by rubman

Is this the type of garbage that we need on the org? Please correct me if I'm wrong, isn't this site supposed to be for 5th gen Max owners exchanging information with one another in a friendly emvironment? Anyway, I do hope a moderator has the sense to ban him from our site. Just my $.02.
Umm maybe you need to shut up newbie. I have been here sinec 1996 and use to own this site in 1998. I have owned 4 Maximas since then, and a few other Nissan's. I don't need someone like you talking **** that doesn't have any authority over me.

Old 03-12-2002, 05:51 AM

I just want one simple question answered. Why is it that when Russ had Maxima, it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, but now that he has an Acura, only the Maxima's engine is competitive, not the rest of the car?

Thats Crazy!! I'm Brian Fellow!!
Old 03-12-2002, 06:05 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Autoweek article considers Acura TL...

Umm maybe you need to shut up newbie. I have been here sinec 1996 and use to own this site in 1998. I have owned 4 Maximas since then, and a few other Nissan's. I don't need someone like you talking **** that doesn't have any authority over me.
[bangs head against brick wall because that's what Tim is going to say I'm doing by even responding]

Yet when you have your own butt handed to you, that person should be banned in your eyes. Which way is it, Russ? It's OK for you to badmouth and cuss everyone else but since you are the "God" of Maximas we should all bend over and smile when you post?

The way you talk down to "newbies" like rubman (who made a CONSTRUCTIVE criticism of your comments) is exactly what you have criticized me and others for in the past (except when it's newbies that "agree" with you, then they are somehow better or smarter than regualar newbies). It's as if when you don't have a LOGICAL argument to someone else's opinions or contentions, you start bad mouthing them and try to discredit them because they aren't 5 year "veterans". I'm a 10 year "veteran" with Maximas, but don't go shoving it down everyone's throats. Nor do I care, because this isn't a measuring contest. It's just a Maxima enthusiast site. There are MUCH more important things occurring in the world right now.

And it doesn't enhance your reputation by stating you have had 5 Nissans in a 5 or 6 year period. If anything, it show's that your financial sense is in the toilet.

You ought to be REAL ashamed of your actions and comments towards MichaelAE. It was uncalled for, plain and simple. Once again, you have illustrated the problems that can arise from those who take the internet real seriously and think they must have approval from everyone in every stupid action they take.

[/bangs head against brick wall because that's what Tim is going to say I'm doing by even responding]
Old 03-12-2002, 06:07 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by maxman2k
I just want one simple question answered. Why is it that when Russ had Maxima, it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, but now that he has an Acura, only the Maxima's engine is competitive, not the rest of the car?

Thats Crazy!! I'm Brian Fellow!!

You need to understand that Russ seems to have no core principles or beliefs based upon the way he posts. His opinions and thoughts in his posts can only be taken as the truth for the amount of time it takes for you to read it. After that, throw it out the window.
Old 03-12-2002, 11:36 AM

don't be such a little ***EDITED*** russy boy
Old 03-12-2002, 12:17 PM

Listen you m%%^$%#$ f#$cking ***%%t, you're momma is the only newbie around here(oops, sorry forgot to mention what we did last night). I'll tell you what another org member mentioned a while back when some of us were complaining about the quality of the Max. If you don't like the quality of the Max. get the f#$$$ck of this site. Jesus Christ what are you a retard? Did your wh%#@re mother drop you when you were born? This site is called maxima.org., not flaming fa(*ott.org. I have read many posts when you flame on others and get flamed on and thought the guys were a little bit jealous or rude to you. NO SUCH LUCK.
Old 03-12-2002, 12:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Autoweek article considers Acura TL...

Originally posted by rubman
Listen you m%%^$%#$ f#$cking ***%%t, you're momma is the only newbie around here(oops, sorry forgot to mention what we did last night). I'll tell you what another org member mentioned a while back when some of us were complaining about the quality of the Max. If you don't like the quality of the Max. get the f#$$$ck of this site. Jesus Christ what are you a retard? Did your wh%#@re mother drop you when you were born? This site is called maxima.org., not flaming fa(*ott.org. I have read many posts when you flame on others and get flamed on and thought the guys were a little bit jealous or rude to you. NO SUCH LUCK.
Old 03-12-2002, 02:51 PM

oh damn, these dumb TL-S vs. Maxima threads make me sick, and why the hell do they appear every week? A car is a car, there isn't a perfect car out there, drive what you have, and be happy.

also, this is the internet, for all we know posters can be 13 year old boys screwing around with us, starting flame threads and such. i DO NOT know any of the members on this board, i have never met them nor have seen what they look like, i dont know jack about them other than they own/like maxima's, so if a member made fun of me in a post by flaming me or whatever, i say to myself, "F*CKEN GET OVER IT!!!" hell, i'll feel really bad if my parents called me a loser and disgrace, but not someone with a screen name and sig pic. just get over it, please.
Old 03-12-2002, 03:28 PM
DOHC 30 V6

Gees, cut the guy a break... and for the record, the cl-type s is a sweet *** car. Cant we all just get along?

Old 03-12-2002, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by DOHC 30 V6
...and for the record, the cl-type s is a sweet *** car.
Yes

Cant we all just get along?
No
Old 03-12-2002, 06:10 PM

ok when we have to turn to name calling you know this is gay..So I think we should close this post..
Old 03-12-2002, 06:52 PM

It is posts like these that make me want to go out and purchase a 90's Mustang GT for $5000 put about $5000 in to it and eat Acura's in my spare time. Russ, I can appreciate that you are a maxima.org member and a previous maxima owner but come on give it a break would ya?
Old 03-12-2002, 08:23 PM
is invisible

Hey newbie, no one asked you.
Old 03-12-2002, 09:18 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

at this point...

I'm inclined to just start locking/deleting anything with "Russ" or "TL" in it - before wasting my time reading it.

Next time you are responding to a TL or a Russ post, just think.. that's minutes from your life you've just thrown away.. You'll never get them back.. There is no gain.

Next time, just go to the window/garage, look at your max.. count to ten slowly, then come back to the computer and just skip to the next post. We will all live alittle longer/happier.
Old 03-13-2002, 08:11 AM

When we speek of this vs that are "we" taking history into account?

I it's not worth my time, but it's just since the recent past that the MAX hasn't been compared to cars "viewed" as high end. I think the Mags do a lot of price point comparisions vs features/performance/quality/style/and price.

Anyway, people want to feel they are "better" than others based on what they have instead of who they are, hence there is no logic or sense only ego.

Quick Reply: Autoweek article considers Acura TL...