5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Body Shops

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 03:14 PM

Body Shops

I'm almost ready to buy the ninja kit but I have a question. How do youf ind the right body shop? I have been calling the shops in my area (Athens, GA) and most of them don't even install body kits. One of them said they have never done it before but thinks they could, and another two said they need to see the car. If anyone from GA could recommend a shop that would be great. If it is in Athens that would be great but I'm willing to drive to Atlanta. Also, how much extra should the shop charge to take off all the emblems on the trunk (Nissan, Maxima, and SE)? Also, I was planning to buy the kit from spoilersetc for 695 and and extra 115 for shipping. Does anyone know of a better price? Thankx for your help!!!
Old 03-20-2002, 04:43 PM

try posting in the Southeast US forum to ask about shops in your area.
Old 03-20-2002, 04:58 PM

Re: Body Shops

Originally posted by NavySE
... how much extra should the shop charge to take off all the emblems on the trunk (Nissan, Maxima, and SE)?
The Maxima and SE emblems can be removed easily with fishing line. then use goo gone to rub off the adhesive. Takes less than a half hour.
Old 03-20-2002, 05:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you might want to drive around to QC each store....few things that u want to look at:

1.Paint - make sure they use good paint, PPG is a common one and a good paint. Spies Hecker is the one that I prefer...it has more color than PPG. Dont ever go to stores use Sherwin Williams. House paint should stay on houses and I have seen its quality.

2.Procedure - The new kit needs to be heated. Those urethane (sp?) come with a chemical, a releasing agent, which was used during molding. Pre-heating the kit prior to painting it should sweat out the releasing agent inside the bumper.

3.quality - look around the shop for other cars they finished, esp the one has bumper work. See how well they can match the color to the body. Most of the shop doesnt match it close enough. You will get it close, but never exact to the body, since the body and the bumper are made of different material

4.warranty - should be life-time, in case of any peeling of the paint.

5.efficiency - some shops take weeks to do a bumper job.

PS, ask for cheaper price and tell them that you are going to pay them cash....

I'm almost ready to buy the ninja kit but I have a question. How do youf ind the right body shop? I have been calling the shops in my area (Athens, GA) and most of them don't even install body kits. One of them said they have never done it before but thinks they could, and another two said they need to see the car. If anyone from GA could recommend a shop that would be great. If it is in Athens that would be great but I'm willing to drive to Atlanta. Also, how much extra should the shop charge to take off all the emblems on the trunk (Nissan, Maxima, and SE)? Also, I was planning to buy the kit from spoilersetc for 695 and and extra 115 for shipping. Does anyone know of a better price? Thankx for your help!!!
Old 03-20-2002, 05:53 PM

Also, how much extra should the shop charge to take off all the emblems on the trunk (Nissan, Maxima, and SE)?

oh yeah. i didnt see that part. dont pay anyone to do this. you can do it yourself in 15 minutes. its simple.
Old 03-20-2002, 08:05 PM

i dont think you can remove the nissan emblem on the trunk with fishing line though. ive read before that if you remove that you'll have some holes beneath that emblem. try the search on that one
Old 03-20-2002, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by Gunner
i dont think you can remove the nissan emblem on the trunk with fishing line though. ive read before that if you remove that you'll have some holes beneath that emblem. try the search on that one
whoops again. former 4th gen owner, i forgot i was in the 5th gen forum. you're right, there are holes behind the Nissan emblem. but you can take the "Maxima" and the "SE" off with fishing line or dental floss. they are only held on by some glue.