5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

auto trans TSB and fix

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 01:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

auto trans TSB and fix

I would like to confirm with other 2K Max SE owners: I think mine has the transmission problem covered in the TSB. When I floor the gas, the transmission hangs between 1st and 2nd gear, before kicking abruptly into 2nd gear.
I've taken the car into 2 dealers with a copy of the TSB in hand, and have had no luck. The first dealer flat out told me I was crazy and that there was no problem. The 2nd dealer acknowledged the problem, but said the trans oil change as part of the 30K service should take care of the problem. As far as I know talking to the service manager, they did not follow the procedures in the TSB. My car is still doing the same thing.

I've read the TSB and was wondering: If the dealer follows the procedure outlined in the TSB, (replaces the solenoid and TCM), will this guarantee the problem will be fixed and the transmission will shift properly?

thanks
Old 03-21-2002, 07:38 AM

Re: auto trans TSB and fix

Good luck pal - join the club. I've also been to 2 dealers in the Houston area and they won't fix mine either. They say it's performing within spec.

They won't do the work as long as there is any way they can weasel out of doing a TSB.
Old 03-21-2002, 08:13 AM
Very sound, Mike

angus, it might fix the problem but as long as you stay within the factory spec there's always going to be that slight delay. However, your description seems to be a slip so there's going to be a noticeable difference if they do the TSB properly.

if it really annoys you, you can try getting Don's VB mod.

phydeaux, which Houston dealer did you go to?
Old 03-21-2002, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by soundmike
angus, it might fix the problem but as long as you stay within the factory spec there's always going to be that slight delay. However, your description seems to be a slip so there's going to be a noticeable difference if they do the TSB properly.

phydeaux, which Houston dealer did you go to?
I went to Lonestar in Stafford - where I bought my car - and I went to David McDavid on the Gulf freeway. Do you have any others you would recommend?
Old 03-21-2002, 10:18 AM
Very sound, Mike

It's interesting that David McDavid didn't do the service for you... they seem to be the most lenient from what i've read.

I go with Mossy on I10, they're not very strict with mods (in fact they were the ones who talked to me about how an Intake will make your engine come alive). It's pretty from from where you seem to be located but it might be worth it.

I haven't brought my car in for the same issue yet though but will be doing so together with the recall.

Originally posted by Phydeaux

I went to Lonestar in Stafford - where I bought my car - and I went to David McDavid on the Gulf freeway. Do you have any others you would recommend?
Old 03-22-2002, 01:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you all for your input. I will try again at another dealer and see what happens.
Old 03-22-2002, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by soundmike

Don reccomends getting the TSB done BEFORE his VB mod because the mod will not fix any problems you currently have in your tranny.

You could always buy the TCM and solinoid and do the TSB yourself
Old 03-22-2002, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by theMax

Don reccomends getting the TSB done BEFORE his VB mod because the mod will not fix any problems you currently have in your tranny.

You could always buy the TCM and solinoid and do the TSB yourself
It would also be nice if we could do the VB mod ourselves.
Old 03-22-2002, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by Phydeaux

It would also be nice if we could do the VB mod ourselves.
I don't see why you can't? Get a few VB's and some tranny fluid and start modding

Don has already been through the trial and error and we have to pay for his experience.

At least we can install the VB ourselves.