5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Insurance in NJ??HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2002, 10:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Insurance in NJ??HELP!

I just bought a 2002 GLE 2 weeks ago.Insurance is 6126 per year.I live in Newark, therefore it has to be expensive since cars are stolen everyday, we have 3 drivers on the policy , my dad (54) , my mom (52) and me (18) , no points on any of our licenses. I think the price I am paying is a bit too high. Any of you own a Maxima in NJ and maybe think your insurance company is cheaper, please help, it will be greatly appreciated.

By the way, my current insurance company is First Trenton Indemnity
Old 03-22-2002, 11:06 AM

this has come up a bunch in the last 2 weeks. what ive gathered is that if you want to have enough money for shelter and food you shouldnt get car insurance in NJ. but if you absolutely must have it....try to use search

search yielded these results
http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?...der=descending
Old 03-22-2002, 11:35 AM

Re: Insurance in NJ??HELP!

Originally posted by GuZo
I just bought a 2002 GLE 2 weeks ago.Insurance is 6126 per year.I live in Newark, therefore it has to be expensive since cars are stolen everyday, we have 3 drivers on the policy , my dad (54) , my mom (52) and me (18) , no points on any of our licenses. I think the price I am paying is a bit too high. Any of you own a Maxima in NJ and maybe think your insurance company is cheaper, please help, it will be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, you are not only live in the state with the highest car insurance rates, you live Newark. It's a demographic thing. And it doesn't seem fair to be "pooled" based on where you live.

You can increase your deductibles and waive certain lawsuit thresholds, but that will only put a dent your premium (pardon the pun). And even if you found a good deal by researching, you can be dropped at renewal time without any reason.

The only other thing I can think of is getting Lojack installed which will reduce your comprehensive coverage by 15% to 25%. If you keep the car more than 4 or 5 years, the insurance savings will pay for the device.
Old 03-22-2002, 12:05 PM
jun

just got my 2k2 se last oct, i live in bloomfield driving for 14 yrs w/o any points and accidents and using allstate paying 1500 a year, used to live in newark in 1988 and have honda accord and i was paying 2000 then hope this helps
Old 03-22-2002, 12:43 PM
KFL

Let see if your financing you're going to have full coverage living in newark, I'd keep it that way.
You are probably the primary driver of the car, thus your age 18, 1 year experience will be frowned upon greatly driving such a fast car .Only major thing to get it lower would put your father as primary more experience driving.And list you as secondary or put you in a different car as long as your covered in the policy somehow driving a car and live with family its not a major problem,friend of mine does this. 6k is pretty high and you don't even have allstate which imho is the highest out there.
-Put in aftermarket alarm, possibly discount and most of all will ward off some people from trying to make away with hids. people have no respect these days even more
Old 03-22-2002, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by KFL
Let see if your financing you're going to have full coverage living in newark, I'd keep it that way.
You are probably the primary driver of the car, thus your age 18, 1 year experience will be frowned upon greatly driving such a fast car .Only major thing to get it lower would put your father as primary more experience driving.And list you as secondary or put you in a different car as long as your covered in the policy somehow driving a car and live with family its not a major problem,friend of mine does this. 6k is pretty high and you don't even have allstate which imho is the highest out there.
-Put in aftermarket alarm, possibly discount and most of all will ward off some people from trying to make away with hids. people have no respect these days even more
get an alarm, get lo-jac and get good grades.
Old 03-22-2002, 01:48 PM

Not much you can do, except sell the car-->

Originally posted by GuZo

You should never buy a new car as your first car, without checking to see how much you'll be paying for insurance first. Chances are, living in Essex Co. NJ, and not having your license more than 3 years, that no insurance company will do any better. $6k is way too much to spend on any car insurance for one year (unless it's an exotic)
Only other choice (which is illegal) is to register the car to a friends address in another County (south of Essex) and change your license to that same address. Otherwise, sell the car, and chalk it up to inexperience.
Old 03-22-2002, 03:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Oh well, all I was looking for was a cheaper insurance company and I got an advice session from an Audi owner, by the way, do i owe you anything for that advice?

All the other guys, thanx
Old 03-22-2002, 03:43 PM
My 4DSC

get AAA then get Liberty Mutual Insurance...
They cut my insurance in half...
check them out.