5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k2 gated shifter question... Important...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2002, 10:57 AM

2k2 gated shifter question... Important...

My 2k2 SE auto has the gated shifter of course, it allows you to row through the gears from 1st all the way to Drive with the gated shifter as you accelerate just like a clutchless manual. It is unhealthy for the
transmission to drive this way on a semi-regular basis? It gives the already pretty good automatic tranny better performance potential because you can drive in first and second all the way up to the redline and
shift as you please instead of letting the auto do it for you at is own (more conservative) rate. What do you think? I would love to think I can drive (especially in the city and suburbs) the gated-shift tranny like
a clutchless stick, but if it is bad for the transmission I don't want to reduce its life... Am I being paranoid??? Thanks for your help.

---Matt
Old 03-22-2002, 11:13 AM

there's no need to manually shift it, it goes to redline already if you're punching it (at least mine does)--and I think dynos have shown that you want it to shift before redline to get max power (no pun intended)--frankencar intake, Don's vb mod, new (lighter)rims/tires should get you moving faster too
Old 03-22-2002, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by mattattax
there's no need to manually shift it, it goes to redline already if you're punching it (at least mine does)--and I think dynos have shown that you want it to shift before redline to get max power (no pun intended)--frankencar intake, Don's vb mod, new (lighter)rims/tires should get you moving faster too
...Yeah but is it bad for the car or the tranny to shift that way manually? Oh and how much harsher is your ride after putting on the 235/40r18??? I want to go 18" and 245/40r18 but I am worried how much harsher the ride is...
Old 03-22-2002, 12:34 PM

I was SOOOOO worried it was gonna be a harsher ride before I got these rims and tires. All that worry was for nothing. I can't tell a difference at all. Any difference I'd feel would be strictly psychosomatic. As for the tranny issue, I don't think it's bad for it but I'm not positive on that. As far as I know, the best thing you can do for your tranny is get the VB mod. Do a search (button at top right of screen right now) and you'll find tons of info.
Old 03-22-2002, 12:43 PM
Very sound, Mike

Re: 2k2 gated shifter question... Important...

Forgive me for being a bad-*ss but i'll have to disgress from your statement about the "already pretty good automatic tranny" statement

Anyway, as matt mentioned, you don't need to shift it manually. If you really want better than average performance in city driving keep the shifter in 3 rather than D. If you want to redline just keep pushing the gas and it'll get there real fast.

As for your question, aside from normal wear and tear of all that useless movment i'd say no. You won't destroy your tranny, when you shift gears the ECU still (ultimately) does things for you. The only thing manually shifting the auto does is tell the ECU "Hey, i wanna use this gear". This is the reason why there's a moments delay before the gear actually goes in.

You could think of it this way, with shifter in D, crusing on the highway and you floor it. Tranny downshifts to 2nd, you go all the way up a couple of hundred revs below redline and it upshifts to 3rd. The wear and tear doing that is no different than manually shifting. The only additional wear/tear would be the linkage between the actual shifter and the transmission box.

click here for a thread i posted a couple days ago on tips on how to drive the auto.

Originally posted by Matthew
My 2k2 SE auto has the gated shifter of course...
Old 03-22-2002, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by mattattax
I was SOOOOO worried it was gonna be a harsher ride before I got these rims and tires. All that worry was for nothing. I can't tell a difference at all. Any difference I'd feel would be strictly psychosomatic. As for the tranny issue, I don't think it's bad for it but I'm not positive on that. As far as I know, the best thing you can do for your tranny is get the VB mod. Do a search (button at top right of screen right now) and you'll find tons of info.
...Cool. I am wanting to go 245/40r18 like I said, which will give me a little more sidewall than you, but wider and Ethan has this size and says they fit just fine. I was a little worried about the width causing some 'rub' but he says no... I like the tantrums, I haven't seen those in 18s on a Max before, you got pics I can see?
Old 03-22-2002, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by Matthew

...Cool. I am wanting to go 245/40r18 like I said, which will give me a little more sidewall than you, but wider and Ethan has this size and says they fit just fine. I was a little worried about the width causing some 'rub' but he says no... I like the tantrums, I haven't seen those in 18s on a Max before, you got pics I can see?
yeah, I'm prolly getting 245/40/18 next time I get new tires--

<-------pics at my homepage

I'm getting springs in a couple weeks so don't mind the wheel gap