5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Thinking of Greddy

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 07:00 AM
Maxtor

Thinking of Greddy

Will the Greddy EVO Cat back fit perfectly? The tip just seems very close to the body of the car? Does it bang against the body or any cross beams? Do I have to get custom hangers done?

Old 03-26-2002, 07:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Thinking of Greddy

Originally posted by Maxtor
Will the Greddy EVO Cat back fit perfectly? The tip just seems very close to the body of the car? Does it bang against the body or any cross beams? Do I have to get custom hangers done?
Just a quick caution, Maxtor. If you're thinking about getting a Y-pipe, I'd suggest you do that BEFORE you make any other changes to your exhaust system. Otherwise, your exhaust may be TOO FREAKING LOUD after you install the Y-pipe.
Old 03-26-2002, 07:21 AM
Maxtor

Re: Re: Thinking of Greddy

Originally posted by y2kse

Just a quick caution, Maxtor. If you're thinking about getting a Y-pipe, I'd suggest you do that BEFORE you make any other changes to your exhaust system. Otherwise, your exhaust may be TOO FREAKING LOUD after you install the Y-pipe.
I'm planning on doing both at the same time.

The greddy looks very close to the bumper of the car. Do you know if any custom hanger work needs to be done?

Old 03-26-2002, 07:26 AM

Re: Re: Re: Thinking of Greddy

I'm planning on doing both at the same time.

The greddy looks very close to the bumper of the car. Do you know if any custom hanger work needs to be done?
I'm not sure about the custom hanger work, Maxtor. But if it does need to be done, any decent muffler shop should be able to take care of it for you.

Good luck with the Y-pipe/Greddy EVO combination. I know of some people who tried that and ended up selling their catbacks because their exhausts turned out to be too loud. Hopefully you won't end up being one of those people.
Old 03-26-2002, 07:35 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thinking of Greddy

Originally posted by y2kse

I'm not sure about the custom hanger work, Maxtor. But if it does need to be done, any decent muffler shop should be able to take care of it for you.

Good luck with the Y-pipe/Greddy EVO combination. I know of some people who tried that and ended up selling their catbacks because their exhausts turned out to be too loud. Hopefully you won't end up being one of those people.
y2kse,
I have a 02 GLE and want to pump my hp but keep noise to a min. (my better have drives this car too with the chillins in it) would i be better served by a y-pipe or cat back? --- thanks -- ss
Old 03-26-2002, 07:43 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thinking of Greddy

Originally posted by ssiperko

y2kse,
I have a 02 GLE and want to pump my hp but keep noise to a min. (my better have drives this car too with the chillins in it) would i be better served by a y-pipe or cat back? --- thanks -- ss
Y-pipe without a doubt. Just keep the rest of your exhaust system stock and you should be able to satisfy your better half.
Old 03-26-2002, 07:59 AM
ThisMax2NV

Do It! Do It! Do It!!!!!!

You might as well go for it all like you said. No need to waste time trying one thing out at a time. I think that you will like the combination of sound and HP and will soon prefer to leave it the way it is. Im not that fond of having a y-pipe but no exhaust. Its like having a cheese burger with out the cheese. Its just not complete. Just my opinion and my thoghts.

Old 03-26-2002, 11:13 AM
Future Camaro SS owner

Re: Do It! Do It! Do It!!!!!!

Originally posted by ThisMax2NV
You might as well go for it all like you said. No need to waste time trying one thing out at a time. I think that you will like the combination of sound and HP and will soon prefer to leave it the way it is. Im not that fond of having a y-pipe but no exhaust. Its like having a cheese burger with out the cheese. Its just not complete. Just my opinion and my thoghts.

The Greddy is direct placement no custom hangers needed it comes close to the bumper and I think only when I go over bumps it hits the bumper not sure but you get the rear valence and that takes care of that.
Old 03-26-2002, 11:31 AM

Re: Do It! Do It! Do It!!!!!!

Originally posted by ThisMax2NV
If sound and performance are both issues, I'd still recommend that you go for the Y-pipe and leave your stock exhaust alone, at least at the outset. If not, install both and upgrade your stereo while you're at it!

BTW, I've tried just about every possible exhaust combination on my Maxima known to man. I finally ended up with a Y-pipe, a Random Technology cat, a 2.5" mandrel-bent catback exhaust with a 26" Magnaflow resonator, and a STOCK rear section and muffler. The sound is just about perfect now. I used to have a straight-through muffler on this setup, but it was just too damn loud for my taste.
Old 03-26-2002, 12:08 PM

Re: Re: Do It! Do It! Do It!!!!!!

I have the greddy evo and the stillen y-pipe. It is loud, but it gives a good amount of hp. My est witht just the y-pipe is 12-15 and with the catback it's probably another 10 or more. This is not an exhaust combo for anyone who thinks that the stock max is a little loud. For me my stock car was silent. After i added the intake and the y-pipe i wanted more, the catback provided that for me. I say go for it!!
Old 03-27-2002, 09:58 AM
Maxtor

So has anyone experienced problems with the stock hangers?
Is it a clean fit or will it bang on the bumper or cross beams?

Old 03-27-2002, 11:51 AM
Future Camaro SS owner

It will fit. I can't tell if it hits the bumper or not when driving maybe, maybe not the rear valence would take care of it.
Old 03-27-2002, 02:22 PM

It bangs against the cross beam. Whenever i hit it off the line and get a little wheel spin it bangs. I am working on a solution. The banging is worth the sound of the exhaust.
Old 03-27-2002, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by maxse01

It bangs against the cross beam. Whenever i hit it off the line and get a little wheel spin it bangs. I am working on a solution. The banging is worth the sound of the exhaust.
...Let us know what you do when you get it figured out..
Old 03-28-2002, 12:43 AM
Future Camaro SS owner

Originally posted by Matthew

...Let us know what you do when you get it figured out..
Mine doesn't bang at wheel spin only when going over a bump.
Old 03-28-2002, 06:20 AM

Originally posted by myownnismo

Mine doesn't bang at wheel spin only when going over a bump.
Really? Maybe cause i have the y-pipe too it's heavier and swings more. Not sure.
Old 03-28-2002, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by maxse01

Mine was doing the same thing, until I stopped at the
Mineke (whatever) by my house. The guy heated the hangers
and made a few miner adjustments, a twist here a pull there.
Then whola no more banging or clanging. All I had to do was
chuck the guy like 10 or 20 beans.. Not bad.

Now if I can only get rid of that pesky noise coming from
the passenger side of the interior that I have yet to locate
I would be noise free. Then again, I could always go out and get a
y-pipe and eliminate any interior noise all together..
Any ideas where that interior bang might be?
It only happens when I hit bumps. (I tried emptying my glove box already)
Old 03-28-2002, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by MAXIN24-7

Mine was doing the same thing, until I stopped at the
Mineke (whatever) by my house. The guy heated the hangers
and made a few miner adjustments, a twist here a pull there.
Then whola no more banging or clanging. All I had to do was
chuck the guy like 10 or 20 beans.. Not bad.

Now if I can only get rid of that pesky noise coming from
the passenger side of the interior that I have yet to locate
I would be noise free. Then again, I could always go out and get a
y-pipe and eliminate any interior noise all together..
Any ideas where that interior bang might be?
It only happens when I hit bumps. (I tried emptying my glove box already)
You should check in your trunk and see if your Jack is tightly secured...that happened to me once and the noise drove me crazy until I practically took the car apart and found that was the problem..hope you fix it.. car looks nice with the bodykit and exhaust all you need to be complete is a set of rims and some springs!! Superblack Maxes always look sweet!