5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k2 Lighting Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2002, 08:08 PM

2k2 Lighting Question

Actually I have two questions I have....

First, I want to get clear side markers for the car but someone told me that I would have to also get a new bulbs also because the bulbs behind the markers are also colored is this true??? I know Custommaxim.com has them. Can I get them anywhere else???

Secondly, having a 2k2 max i have a really ugly orange turn signal, the 2k Max had the clear lens with a yellow bulb, is there anyway that I can get that bottom lens of mine to be clear also???

Thanks for the insight!!
Old 03-27-2002, 08:35 PM

Re: 2k2 Lighting Question

Originally posted by johncg316
Actually I have two questions I have....

First, I want to get clear side markers for the car but someone told me that I would have to also get a new bulbs also because the bulbs behind the markers are also colored is this true??? I know Custommaxim.com has them. Can I get them anywhere else???
right now you have an amber lense in front with a clear bulb behind it and a red lense in back with a clear bulb behind it. when you get the clear lenses, the fronts come with amber bulbs so you're okay there but the rear ones dont come with any bulbs. you can use your existing clear bulbs or you can get some hyper whites or you can find some red bulbs to put back there. i recommend finding some nice red bulbs to stick in there. (i still have my stock clear bulbs in as of right now, fyi)

Secondly, having a 2k2 max i have a really ugly orange turn signal, the 2k Max had the clear lens with a yellow bulb, is there anyway that I can get that bottom lens of mine to be clear also???
[/B]
ask Emax95 about this. he actually took his 2k2 lights apart to see if i can be done. i believe the verdict came back as a NO. you could always switch your 2k2 tail lights for some 2k/2k1 lights as they are direct replacements.
Old 03-27-2002, 08:36 PM
lcf

u can buy the bumper clears from this guy for a little cheaper.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=92785
Old 03-27-2002, 09:26 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I just put my Front and Rear Clear on my 2002 SE Glacier White.... I put PIAA 1994's in the front and Hyper RED's in the back.. I think they look real good. I whish there was a way to get my FOGS to be HID too. I will be putting PIAAS in my Fogs this weekend
Old 03-27-2002, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by kloogy
I just put my Front and Rear Clear on my 2002 SE Glacier White.... I put PIAA 1994's in the front and Hyper RED's in the back.. I think they look real good. I whish there was a way to get my FOGS to be HID too. I will be putting PIAAS in my Fogs this weekend
Matthew (his .org name is "Matthew" ) got some nice bulbs for this fogs. they match his HIDs very nicely. PM him and ask him about them.
Old 03-28-2002, 05:27 AM

Re: Re: 2k2 Lighting Question

Originally posted by Newman96SE

right now you have an amber lense in front with a clear bulb behind it and a red lense in back with a clear bulb behind it. when you get the clear lenses, the fronts come with amber bulbs so you're okay there but the rear ones dont come with any bulbs. you can use your existing clear bulbs or you can get some hyper whites or you can find some red bulbs to put back there. i recommend finding some nice red bulbs to stick in there. (i still have my stock clear bulbs in as of right now, fyi)

ask Emax95 about this. he actually took his 2k2 lights apart to see if i can be done. i believe the verdict came back as a NO. you could always switch your 2k2 tail lights for some 2k/2k1 lights as they are direct replacements.
Actually I think he is talking about the front headlight corners on his HID's which emax DID successfully do, you can find a write up on it if you do a search. You just open the headlight housing and they pop right out. As for the tails, emax tried to make them half red half clear like on the 2k's he failed miserably
Old 03-28-2002, 06:22 AM

In regards to the amber bulbs for Y2K turn signal lights, are aftermarket bulbs way brighter than stock?
Old 03-28-2002, 10:45 AM

Re: Re: Re: 2k2 Lighting Question

Originally posted by Chinkzilla

Actually I think he is talking about the front headlight corners on his HID's which emax DID successfully do, you can find a write up on it if you do a search. You just open the headlight housing and they pop right out. As for the tails, emax tried to make them half red half clear like on the 2k's he failed miserably
i thought he was talking about the tail lights. since the bottom half of the circle is orange on 2k2s and clear on 2k/2k1. john, if you're talking about your tail lights then i dont think you can get rid of the orange. if you are talking about the circular orange lense in the corner of your headlight, those can be removed. also ask Emax95 about that if you're up to the project.
Old 03-28-2002, 11:07 AM
lcf

red in the back? can you show a pic of it at near sunset? lil dark but not completely dark... id like to see it a pic of that.

also, someone told me that its illegal to clear the bumpers. perhaps in some states? anyone have more information on this?

thx.
Old 03-28-2002, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by lcf

also, someone told me that its illegal to clear the bumpers. perhaps in some states? anyone have more information on this?
you'll notice on the clear lenses they say "for off road and show use only" this is because they are not SAE approved for highway use. as for the exact reason for this, there are many different opinions. my take on it is that legally, you MUST have an orange reflector on the front of the car and you MUST have a red reflector in the rear. removing the stock lenses and replacing them with the clear ones removes these necessary reflectors. replacing the bulbs to match the orginal colors (amber and red respectively) only masks the switch-a-roo. when the lights are illuminated no one can tell that there arent any colored reflectors. so basically, switching the lenses IS in fact illegal but it can be disguised to seem legal. also, it really is not a big deal whatsoever. even if they are illegal many many cops would not notice and if they do they probably wont care. thats just my take on it from all the reading ive done on the subject. i very well could be wrong but it makes sense, doesnt it?
Old 03-28-2002, 03:26 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Check out this site for the red bulbs:

www.midnightmoose.com/194.htm

This is a very good company to deal with. You'll have your bulbs in 2-3 days.
Old 03-28-2002, 03:49 PM

yea a cop buddy of mine told me that they can be clear but had to have the proper colored bulbs im it (amber front, red rear) but me personaly ive got the polarg bulbs in mine

but it can be disguised to seem legal.
Old 03-28-2002, 04:58 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2k2 Lighting Question

i thought he was talking about the tail lights. since the bottom half of the circle is orange on 2k2s and clear on 2k/2k1. john, if you're talking about your tail lights then i dont think you can get rid of the orange. if you are talking about the circular orange lense in the corner of your headlight, those can be removed. also ask Emax95 about that if you're up to the project.

I was talking about the Tail lights.....oh well if that cant be done then oh well, I will live with it for now.....If I wanted to go the Hyper white road, which do you people recommend, I know greg recommends polarg, but are these easliy avalible or do i have to pay ALOT of shipping going through Greg?? are there any other good websites?? Thanks!!

oh something else, I thought the front orange lense next to ur head light was fixed?? Am i wrong?? Thanks again!!
Old 03-28-2002, 05:28 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2k2 Lighting Question

Originally posted by johncg316

oh something else, I thought the front orange lense next to ur head light was fixed?? Am i wrong?? Thanks again!!
by "fixed" do you mean permanent? it isnt permanent. if you heat up the silicone sealent and pry the glass away from the housing and can get inside, the orange lense just pops right out supposedly. very risky though if you ask me. those HIDs are worth too much money to mess with.
Old 03-28-2002, 06:21 PM

I've also gone with the clear corners on my Glaicer Pearl and used PIAA Xtreme White 168 wedges behind the clears. Looks nice and spooky. Got 'em from Stealth Max. Good to do business with (where's my discount buddy!). Got another pair of wedges (for the courtesy lamps) and a pair of 9005's (for the high beams) coming. Car looks like an iceberg with an attitude coming at you!
Old 03-28-2002, 10:36 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Originally posted by lcf
red in the back? can you show a pic of it at near sunset? lil dark but not completely dark... id like to see it a pic of that.

thx.
Im working on getting my digital camera fixed...I should be posting some PIXX soon !!!! They do look nice though !
Old 03-28-2002, 10:42 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Originally posted by Nick Exxon

I've also gone with the clear corners on my Glaicer Pearl and used PIAA Xtreme White 168 wedges behind the clears. Looks nice and spooky. Got 'em from Stealth Max. Good to do business with (where's my discount buddy!). Got another pair of wedges (for the courtesy lamps) and a pair of 9005's (for the high beams) coming. Car looks like an iceberg with an attitude coming at you!
A large Glacier coming at you with 255 HP !!! I love this color. I also put 5% tint all around except the drivers and passenger windows, I used 20% on those.... Looks Great !
Old 03-29-2002, 06:27 PM

A large Glacier coming at you with 255 HP !!! I love this color. I also put 5% tint all around except the drivers and passenger windows, I used 20% on those.... Looks Great !
You wouldn't happen to have pics of the tint job, would you? I'll eventually be tinting my glass; definitely do *not* want the cloudy-day effect when sitting inside. The first tint shop I went to looked at me sort of strange when I said, "Ideally, I'd like for the glass to be no different than it is now (factory) but still reject a large percentage of heat & UV." I guess they're used to customers who want to hide inside their vehicles!

Buzz
Old 03-31-2002, 10:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I may have missed it somewhere but could someone let me know what kind of bulbs I need for the fogs on a 2k2. I am looking to upgrade from stock and Im not sure what to go with...any suggestions?
Old 03-31-2002, 03:06 PM

go to 5thgenmaximas.com and private message emax02....as him the second question.......you can also pm him here .... his name is emax95....he made the orange part red...so he can help u make it white
Old 03-31-2002, 04:28 PM
Yankees pwn you !

Originally posted by remykins
I may have missed it somewhere but could someone let me know what kind of bulbs I need for the fogs on a 2k2. I am looking to upgrade from stock and Im not sure what to go with...any suggestions?

The fog light bulbs for a 2k2 are H3. I would recommend the PIAA's Super Plasma. Closest to HID I have seen.
Old 03-31-2002, 05:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by anskyruben

The fog light bulbs for a 2k2 are H3. I would recommend the PIAA's Super Plasma. Closest to HID I have seen.
Thanks for the help...