5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Smoked A IS300 (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 12:18 PM

Smoked A IS300 (Long)

I was driving on the South Conduit when i see this red is300 doing some numbers so i happen to be doing some numbers myself and pull right behind him, once he saw i was behind him he floored it, so did i, race was on...hes in front of me by 2 car lengths all of a sudden i pressed the gas again and i got this burst of speed, the max was movin i see 120mph and i blew right past him and hes trying a whole lot and he couldnt do it, slowed down and asked him what happened and starting laffing, then he says lets go for slips i said why is that how you pay to mod your worthless IS! then he calls my max garbage, then i said yeah this is the garbage that was in front your sh*tbox, after that i left him and went on the Belt Parkway, he follows me and shows me some green label that said NYC Police (green sticker) not even a badge and says he could have taken my car away bullsh*t again cause he was racing along side me. if you ask me i think the kid was a SORE looser!
IS 300 = muffler + intake + wack driver = got blowned out!
00'Max = stillen intake + stillen suspension + ME = IS 300 Killa'
Old 03-28-2002, 12:36 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Good kill, but auto or manual...

The AUTO IS300 is NO competition.

I haven't raced a manual yet, but I doubt it would have made any difference.

If he asks, "Want to go for slips", he's most likely running NOS and didn't use it the first race, otherwise he was an IDIOT and you should have said, YES! Then sold it the next day and bought some more mods.
Old 03-28-2002, 12:52 PM

nice...

i really don't like the IS 300. ugly and slow. as a matter of fact, i just don't like lexus vehicles.. don't know why.
Old 03-28-2002, 01:49 PM

Heck the manual times for that car are very similiar to the auto and no faster through the quarter mile, it has been critized by just about all the Major car mags.
Old 03-28-2002, 02:32 PM
TCm

Originally posted by drudawg888
nice...

i really don't like the IS 300. ugly and slow. as a matter of fact, i just don't like lexus vehicles.. don't know why.
I actually like how the IS300 looks, nice and sharp. The only reason I got the Maxima rather than the Lexus is because I knew the Max dominates in performance over the IS300.
Old 03-28-2002, 03:16 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Did he showw his Daddy's PBA Badge that he got at some Union Meeting ?? Let's see, he was racing too wasnt he ? ....He was just pi$$ed that he got smoked !
Old 03-28-2002, 03:44 PM

IS 300's are what ricer civic boyz graduate to... ... by far the best looking/performing lexus today.. i feel is the lexus gs430, if they ever decide to drop a manual in that car.. man im sold
Old 03-28-2002, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by TCm

I actually like how the IS300 looks, nice and sharp. The only reason I got the Maxima rather than the Lexus is because I knew the Max dominates in performance over the IS300.
i guess the IS300 reminds me too much of a honda civic... no?
Old 03-28-2002, 05:49 PM

Re: Good kill, but auto or manual...

Originally posted by IceY2K1
The AUTO IS300 is NO competition.

I haven't raced a manual yet, but I doubt it would have made any difference.

If he asks, "Want to go for slips", he's most likely running NOS and didn't use it the first race, otherwise he was an IDIOT and you should have said, YES! Then sold it the next day and bought some more mods.
thats exactly what my cousin said!
Old 03-28-2002, 08:14 PM

Slips ='s BS

I am sure after someone gets beat in a street race they would gladly sign over their title, that is at the bank nice and safe were they are upside down on their loan.
Old 03-28-2002, 11:23 PM

The IS300 handles well, and the interior is sporty and not luxurious.
I was interested in it, but Civics owners imitates it. It would be horrible to own this car and have someone think it's a Honda and it cost half as much. Car is fun to drive, but was about $6000 Cdn more than the Maxima. I like hauling my friends and the back seats are cramped. Didn't like the grip shift I tried. I mean it is fun at first but the novelty runs out quickyly I believe.
Old 03-29-2002, 06:34 AM
OG and counting...

Re: Slips ='s BS

Originally posted by Blackgums100
I am sure after someone gets beat in a street race they would gladly sign over their title, that is at the bank nice and safe were they are upside down on their loan.
Priceless....
Old 03-29-2002, 07:19 AM

Originally posted by TCm

Dominates in performance?!? Perhaps the 2k2 max is faster than the IS, but the 2k1 and 2k are comparable to the IS in auto and stick. And do you even know what performance is? Plus, there is way more to performance than straight line speed. The IS will at worst hang with the max in a straight line, but it will dust the max in the twisties. NO comparison at all. It will outbrake tha max and the 5 speed manual is a smoother, crisper, shorter throw than the max's 5speed. I have a 2k2 IS and 2k max, and trust me when i tell you that when it comes to driving dynamics, the max isnt in the same league. When it comes to people hauling, the max has a considerable advantage. The max gets better gas mileage too. You cant really compare the two. Sports sedan vs sporty family sedan. Those are the facts.
Old 03-29-2002, 07:35 AM

Yeah and what did you pay

Originally posted by maxman2k

Dominates in performance?!? Perhaps the 2k2 max is faster than the IS, but the 2k1 and 2k are comparable to the IS in auto and stick. And do you even know what performance is? Plus, there is way more to performance than straight line speed. The IS will at worst hang with the max in a straight line, but it will dust the max in the twisties. NO comparison at all. It will outbrake tha max and the 5 speed manual is a smoother, crisper, shorter throw than the max's 5speed. I have a 2k2 IS and 2k max, and trust me when i tell you that when it comes to driving dynamics, the max isnt in the same league. When it comes to people hauling, the max has a considerable advantage. The max gets better gas mileage too. You cant really compare the two. Sports sedan vs sporty family sedan. Those are the facts.
While I agree on some of your points you probably paid about three grand more for your ride, which is a considerable chunk of cash. BTW does the IS still have the bar thing to hold up your hood? just curious, not flaming.
Old 03-29-2002, 07:49 AM

There is a huge aftermarket for IS300's

There are already a couple of superchargers available for that car and i believe that AREA 51 has a turbo also for it. I have a article in a turbo mag of mine that has a 2001 auto is300 with 660 rwhp! Those cars have the potential to be very fats. Slap a blower on a 5 speed is300 and i bet it woul habf with a sc'd maxima
Old 03-29-2002, 08:10 AM

The IS300 is lame performance wise. I like the looks though. Drop at least another 50 HP and maybe you'll raise a couple eyebrows...
Old 03-29-2002, 08:44 AM
TCm

Wow... Didn't mean to get your panties in a bunch.

If the IS300 cost the same as a 2k or 2k1 Maxima SE then you may have a valid point. But since it costs $4500-$6000 more than a Maxima, I would certainly expect you to get something more out of it. Unfortunately for the IS300, the cost/performance ratio is in favor of the Maxima, big time.

And yes, the Maxima IS a sport family sedan... not a sports sedan. But even if the Max could just "hang" with the IS300 in performance and handling, what does that say about the "sports sedan?"

After considering all this, there's not much left for your argument.
Old 03-29-2002, 09:09 AM

Re: Yeah and what did you pay

Originally posted by Blackgums100

While I agree on some of your points you probably paid about three grand more for your ride, which is a considerable chunk of cash. BTW does the IS still have the bar thing to hold up your hood? just curious, not flaming.
I paid $30k for a fully loaded IS. The only thing that i didnt get was navigation. So yes I did pay a few more thousand for the IS than my max. But all things tolled, including the dealership experience along with the awesome service, in my book it was worth it. And yes it does have the prop rod for the hood. I still cant believe its there when i open up the hood. IMHO its the one glaring cost cutting blunder on the car.
Old 03-29-2002, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by TCm

Wow... Didn't mean to get your panties in a bunch.

If the IS300 cost the same as a 2k or 2k1 Maxima SE then you may have a valid point. But since it costs $4500-$6000 more than a Maxima, I would certainly expect you to get something more out of it. Unfortunately for the IS300, the cost/performance ratio is in favor of the Maxima, big time.

And yes, the Maxima IS a sport family sedan... not a sports sedan. But even if the Max could just "hang" with the IS300 in performance and handling, what does that say about the "sports sedan?"

After considering all this, there's not much left for your argument.
You still didnt get what i am saying. Performance is more than straightline speed. IIRC a few months back the debate was about how the max was better than the GTP because it was a better overall performer and was a better car even though it is slower(for 2k and 2k1 anyway). And this was even with the fact that the max cost more. You say "performance and handling", well, performance is handling, its not a seperate entity. Not dissing the max, because i love my max, and on long road trips its still my car of choice, but any driving enthusiast would prefer to drive the IS any day of the week on a twisty backroad where the true nature of a car can be found. I paid just over 27k for my max when it was new. I paid $30k for my IS. I think that my $2500 extra was well spent on the IS. But hey, maybe beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I am in no way saying your opinion is wrong, I am just trying to help you to see that just because you may have beaten an IS in a light to light street race, that doesnt make it a better car. And just because the IS handles better and is more of a drivers car doesnt make it a better car. They are both great cars and both deserve credit. One last thing. The max isnt really IS competition anyway. The IS is aimed at the 3 series and it undercuts the 330 by about $8k when i was shopping. It is a tick slower, but it outhandles it. so when you look at that competition you may see that perhaps the IS has more essence than you perhaps give it credit for.
Old 03-29-2002, 09:32 AM

IS300

I agree with Maxman that the IS300 is targeted at the 3-series crowd. It has very similar size and performance characteristics. One of the reasons I gave up on the a 330 was the interior room was just too small for my tastes. The IS300 had the same issue. Now that the IS300 has a 5 speed it will be a serious contender for the Maxima. I have to say that I'm not 100% happy with the watch style dash but then I'm not happy with the wash out that the 2k2 does at dusk/dawn.
Old 03-29-2002, 09:49 AM

Re: IS300

Originally posted by ajahearn
I agree with Maxman that the IS300 is targeted at the 3-series crowd. It has very similar size and performance characteristics. One of the reasons I gave up on the a 330 was the interior room was just too small for my tastes. The IS300 had the same issue. Now that the IS300 has a 5 speed it will be a serious contender for the Maxima. I have to say that I'm not 100% happy with the watch style dash but then I'm not happy with the wash out that the 2k2 does at dusk/dawn.
Ajahearn the manual IS has posted times that a very slightly better than the auto i mean slight. The manual is no comp for a manual Max in the straight line especially the 02.
Old 03-29-2002, 10:18 AM

Re: Re: IS300

Originally posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Ajahearn the manual IS has posted times that a very slightly better than the auto i mean slight. The manual is no comp for a manual Max in the straight line especially the 02.
I've read several postings that alluded to comparable times between auto's and MT's. I've always had a hard time believing that this wasn't due to inexperience with driving a MT. I realize that the IS is less HP/TQ than an 02 (one of the reasons why I bought an O2). But the handling of the IS300 through turns is very good. This, RWD, and traction control give it the advantage in a slalom type race. Straight line I agree that the Maxima would win. But straight line has always been a matter of power/weight, whereas slalom brings in handling and driver ability.

I love my 02 but I wish the handling was better (and I wish they would have made the TC optional on the MT's).
Old 03-29-2002, 10:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You still didnt get what i am saying. Performance is more than straightline speed. IIRC a few months back the debate was about how the max was better than the GTP because it was a better overall performer and was a better car even though it is slower(for 2k and 2k1 anyway). And this was even with the fact that the max cost more. You say "performance and handling", well, performance is handling, its not a seperate entity. Not dissing the max, because i love my max, and on long road trips its still my car of choice, but any driving enthusiast would prefer to drive the IS any day of the week on a twisty backroad where the true nature of a car can be found. I paid just over 27k for my max when it was new. I paid $30k for my IS. I think that my $2500 extra was well spent on the IS. But hey, maybe beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I am in no way saying your opinion is wrong, I am just trying to help you to see that just because you may have beaten an IS in a light to light street race, that doesnt make it a better car. And just because the IS handles better and is more of a drivers car doesnt make it a better car. They are both great cars and both deserve credit. One last thing. The max isnt really IS competition anyway. The IS is aimed at the 3 series and it undercuts the 330 by about $8k when i was shopping. It is a tick slower, but it outhandles it. so when you look at that competition you may see that perhaps the IS has more essence than you perhaps give it credit for.
It's all ok as long as you don't mind looking at maxima taillights - ugly as they are!

Of course, if I owned an IS, I'm sure I'd have to go out and mod it once I figured out that I'd be looking at the taillights of any 95-2002 5spd.
Old 03-29-2002, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by Max_Gator

It's all ok as long as you don't mind looking at maxima taillights - ugly as they are!

Of course, if I owned an IS, I'm sure I'd have to go out and mod it once I figured out that I'd be looking at the taillights of any 95-2002 5spd.
Ya know whats funny? I didnt want to use this route, but I am an authority about this more than anyone here, SINCE I OWN BOTH CARS!!! My IS is just as fast as my max is. I dont know how else to say it. The 2k2 is defintely faster than the IS, but as far as 95-2k1? They are surprisingly similar.
Old 03-29-2002, 11:39 AM

Ya know whats funny? I didnt want to use this route, but I am an authority about this more than anyone here, SINCE I OWN BOTH CARS!!! My IS is just as fast as my max is. I dont know how else to say it. The 2k2 is defintely faster than the IS, but as far as 95-2k1? They are surprisingly similar.

If you have a 5speed and your IS is as fast as your max, you must have the IS that Russ drove.
Old 03-29-2002, 11:48 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

At least you can drop a turbo in your car.
I mean everytime a turboed car pulls up next to me I fill

Old 03-29-2002, 03:06 PM
TCm

You still didnt get what i am saying. Performance is more than straightline speed.
<SNIP>
I understand completely that there's more to performance than just straight line acceleration. Don't confuse me for a misguided rice-boy dragster.

It all comes down to a combination of all the factors. Cornering, Acceleration, Braking, Weight Transfer, and balance. But you can still throw all of those things away! It all comes down to the driver, anyone will tell you that.

How else could I have beaten Subaru WRX AWDs in an Ice Racing event with my Maxima?
Old 03-29-2002, 08:22 PM

Lexus LS300 at Lunch

Funny this was posted today, I had a nice discussion with someone at work. She said she has Cold Air Intake, etc for her IS300. Told her I was happy with my Max because at the price I paid, I was getting a great car. I told her I was looking at the BMW 325i (RWD) and the Acura (no manual). She said "I was looking at the 525 and the guy thought it was too much car for me." and quoted her $900/mo.
I asked her "How much did you pay?" She said, "$46,000" for her Lexus. Isn't that impossible? Even MSRP with every possible feature including NAV doesn't even come close to $40.

I wish I had known this when I was talking to her, let me tell you!!

Maybe she did get taken on that car... Said she got every pennies worth because she can go back and get the car washed at the dealer for free...
<- her
Old 03-29-2002, 08:31 PM

Re: Lexus LS300 at Lunch

Originally posted by nddst
Funny this was posted today, I had a nice discussion with someone at work. She said she has Cold Air Intake, etc for her IS300. Told her I was happy with my Max because at the price I paid, I was getting a great car. I told her I was looking at the BMW 325i (RWD) and the Acura (no manual). She said "I was looking at the 525 and the guy thought it was too much car for me." and quoted her $900/mo.
I asked her "How much did you pay?" She said, "$46,000" for her Lexus. Isn't that impossible? Even MSRP with every possible feature including NAV doesn't even come close to $40.

I wish I had known this when I was talking to her, let me tell you!!

Maybe she did get taken on that car... Said she got every pennies worth because she can go back and get the car washed at the dealer for free...
<- her
Yeah dude, either she is lying or she got ripped off big time, because like I said I got my IS loaded with everything except navigation for $30k. I sure hope for her sake she didnt pay $46k for her car. If she did she got taken to the cleaners 3 times over.
Old 03-29-2002, 08:42 PM

Re: Re: Lexus LS300 at Lunch

Yeah dude, either she is lying or she got ripped off big time, because like I said I got my IS loaded with everything except navigation for $30k. I sure hope for her sake she didnt pay $46k for her car. If she did she got taken to the cleaners 3 times over.
She said she was looking at the 525i is when I asked her what she paid. She bragged when the Bimmer dealer called her back and wanted to know if she was going to come in. She said, "I'm not going to pay more $900 a month for a car, you can buy me gas for my Lexus." My eyes must have popped out of my head. She said "I can afford it, I paid that for my Lexus- but that guy was a jerk." I assumed the IS300 was about the same price as the 325i I looked at and I was pretty close.

Maybe the dealer installed all her "MODS". Which are probably as fictitous as the amount she paid. Next time I see her, I'll have to ask to see the CAI...

Old 03-29-2002, 10:13 PM

dust the max in the twisties... sorry sir thats incorrect, i bounced on him like nothing, my suspension was out handling lexus garbage all which ways brutha, maybe you need me to drive your max for you!
Old 03-30-2002, 06:05 AM

Originally posted by nissanmaximas

dust the max in the twisties... sorry sir thats incorrect, i bounced on him like nothing, my suspension was out handling lexus garbage all which ways brutha, maybe you need me to drive your max for you!
This is horribly incorrect. Any straight thinking, unbiased, honest driver will be able to clearly see that the IS is in another league when it comes to handling. In the last comparison test(and even though i dont like using mag specs i think its pretty hard to screw up skidpad numbers)an IS pulled .91 on the skidpad, bone stock!! Now come on and be truthful, you know a max cant touch that. And it isnt asked to, because its not a sports sedan. Thats all i am saying.
Old 03-30-2002, 08:18 AM

So, is your max a 5spd?
Old 03-30-2002, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by yo_its_ok

LoL...IS300s are a joke.

I had a full car.
MaximaGTR, 190hpKilla, Burton069 and Toylet in the car, and we raced a IS300 stick, and I walked him still w/ 5 people including myself in the car. I had to let go at the top of 2nd gear to let him catch up, my car shifted into 3rd, and w/ OD off, my TC locked up around 4000rpm, and IS300 was coming and OD off...and walked him still.

Come up to DPA tonite, Pathmark Lot.

-Peace
Sorry man, thats a load of BS
Old 03-30-2002, 11:51 AM

What???

Your kidding right?

My STOCK 2K1 pulled 2 to 2-1/2 car lengths on an AUTO IS300 from 50-90mph. That my friend is not "just as fast".

IS300 is not all that. I like the exterior styling, except the alteezas(sp?). However, the interior is FUGLY. The rippled dash, Camry steering wheel, loose console, and swade/leatherette seats. WTF, is with the "prop stick" for the hood.

Definitely NOT worth $6K-$10K($30K Yeah Right! Not around here.) more than I paid for my Max.
Old 03-30-2002, 12:10 PM

You don't know what your talking about...

Where's that POPCORN smiley when I need it.
Old 03-31-2002, 01:37 PM
JET Speed Lab

i think you call it bs cause of your sig.. "2k2 lexus IS300 5spd"... anyhow, we did walk the IS300, maybe he was a ****ty driver and didnt know what gear to go into, but a win is a win and we won.
Old 03-31-2002, 02:58 PM

people say that because they feel insecure about their car
Old 03-31-2002, 03:08 PM

When he asked if you wanted to race for slips you should said naw, don't want your whole car but I'll take the wheels.

I think the wheels on the IS300 would look good on our six.

my 0.02c
wooosh
Old 03-31-2002, 05:15 PM

And people wonder why Maxima owners have a big head?

In a straight line, my 6speed (stock) will brutalize an auto or even 5spd IS300. Now, on the twisties or auto-x course the IS300 will brutalize my stock 2K2 Maxima. This much isn't up for debate. ANYBODY who says that a stock 2K2 will outhandle a stock IS300 is either an insecure Max owner or Mario Andretti driving a Maxima while my 10 year old brother drives the IS300.

I actually like the IS300's looks. I like the look of the Maxima too. Price was the overall deciding factor as was the need for interior room.

All that being said, I look forward to embarassing the IS300 on the drag strip home, but if he follows me home, I'll take the straightest route available.

Quick Reply: Smoked A IS300 (Long)