5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need Low-Cost Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 07:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Need Low-Cost Exhaust

I'm looking for away to mod my exhaust without spending $500 on an exaust system.

I don't want the exhaust to be any louder (a little will be fine) and I don't want to do anything that will require me to fix any oxygen sensors. At first I thought about using a larger diameter pipe but the guy at the exhaust place said that the change in back-pressure might mess up the sensors.

I am thinking of going to the exhaust shop in my town and doing this:
1. Do away with the resonator (What the heck does that thing do anyway?
2. Replacing the stock muffler with a more "free-flowing" one.
3. Replacing the stock SE oval tip with some sort of dual-style tips.

I know this will not help much in the performance department, but it will give it a more unique look and maybe sound than the stock exhaust (and shouldn't cost but about $150)

Suggestions?
Old 03-28-2002, 07:33 PM

If you want 5-7 horses, or .2 sec off your 1/4 mile, you can go with my intake for $59.60 and free shipping.

In April the price goes up to $74.50 plus shippping.
Old 03-28-2002, 07:40 PM

Cheap/low cost/NO HP/ALL LOOKS NO GAIN = AROSPEED

why not just save up ur money for an HKS exhaust?
Old 03-28-2002, 08:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Need Low-Cost Exhaust

Originally posted by suds1
I'm looking for away to mod my exhaust without spending $500 on an exaust system.

I don't want the exhaust to be any louder (a little will be fine) and I don't want to do anything that will require me to fix any oxygen sensors. At first I thought about using a larger diameter pipe but the guy at the exhaust place said that the change in back-pressure might mess up the sensors.

I am thinking of going to the exhaust shop in my town and doing this:
1. Do away with the resonator (What the heck does that thing do anyway?
2. Replacing the stock muffler with a more "free-flowing" one.
3. Replacing the stock SE oval tip with some sort of dual-style tips.

I know this will not help much in the performance department, but it will give it a more unique look and maybe sound than the stock exhaust (and shouldn't cost but about $150)

Suggestions?
Actually, you're on the right track. I've tried just about every exhaust combination known to man on my Maxima. If I had it to do all over again, I'd start the way you'd start. Just remove the resonator and see what you think.

If you want a little more sound, audition a few straight-through mufflers. You should be able to pick up a Dynomax or Magnaflow for a fraction of the cost of an HKS.

And tips are simply a matter of esoterics. Install what appeals to you.

None of this will do much to increase performance. If you want to do that, chuck all of these suggestions and just install a Y-pipe. And by the way, your mechanic doesn't know what he's talking about. Increasing your exhaust pipe diameter and reducing backpressure will not affect your O2 sensors. It will, however, affect the velocity at which gases escape the exhaust system. I would NOT increase your pipe diameter to more than 2.5" unless you plan to install a supercharger.
Old 03-28-2002, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by 20 MAXIMA 02
Cheap/low cost/NO HP/ALL LOOKS NO GAIN = AROSPEED

why not just save up ur money for an HKS exhaust?
Not a matter of not having the money, just not wanting to spend the money. I'd hate to spend $500 on an exhaust and end up hating it.
Old 03-28-2002, 08:08 PM

Re: Re: Need Low-Cost Exhaust

Originally posted by y2kse

Actually, you're on the right track. I've tried just about every exhaust combination known to man on my Maxima. If I had it to do all over again, I'd start the way you'd start. Just remove the resonator and see what you think.

If you want a little more sound, audition a few straight-through mufflers. You should be able to pick up a Dynomax or Magnaflow for a fraction of the cost of an HKS.

And tips are simply a matter of esoterics. Install what appeals to you.

None of this will do much to increase performance. If you want to do that, chuck all of these suggestions and just install a Y-pipe. And by the way, your mechanic doesn't know what he's talking about. Exhaust pipe diameter and backpressure will not affect your O2 sensors.
Thanks man. I was kinda skeptical too, when he told me that about the sensors. I think he was just lazy and wanted to get rid of me!
Old 03-28-2002, 08:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: Need Low-Cost Exhaust

Thanks man. I was kinda skeptical too, when he told me that about the sensors. I think he was just lazy and wanted to get rid of me!
He's not much of a salesperson. I'd have sold you a custom-built 2.5" mandrel-bent exhaust system complete with a new resonator and a straight-through muffler for about $350.00. And you'd have walked out smiling!
Old 03-29-2002, 06:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Need Low-Cost Exhaust

He's not much of a salesperson. I'd have sold you a custom-built 2.5" mandrel-bent exhaust system complete with a new resonator and a straight-through muffler for about $350.00. And you'd have walked out smiling!
I'll take two! One for each side!

G
Old 03-29-2002, 11:25 PM

what a dilemma...You can get away with just replacing the tips, for 30 bucks you can get anything you want. Most ppl here on the .org would suggest a y-pipe as their fav. exhaust mod, which will run you a total of about 300 with install. I think that by changing your muffler you will loose HP. The stock muffler creates the backpressure, and I doubt free-flowing muffler can duplicate that. Its not worth it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-30-2002, 07:10 AM

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
what a dilemma...You can get away with just replacing the tips, for 30 bucks you can get anything you want. Most ppl here on the .org would suggest a y-pipe as their fav. exhaust mod, which will run you a total of about 300 with install. I think that by changing your muffler you will loose HP. The stock muffler creates the backpressure, and I doubt free-flowing muffler can duplicate that. Its not worth it.

BACKPRESSURE = TORQUE?

An old hot-rodder's tall tale: Engines need some backpressure to work properly and make torque. That is not true. What engines need is low backpressure, but high exhaust stream velocity. A fast-moving but free-flowing gas column in the exhaust helps create a rarefaction or a negative pressure wave behind the exhaust valve as it opens. This vacuum helps scavenge the cylinder of exhaust gas faster and more thoroughly with less pumping losses. An exhaust pipe that is too big in diameter has low backpressure but lower velocity. The low velocity reduces the effectiveness of this scavenging effect, which has the greatest impact on low-end torque.

The above is excerpted from the following article which appeared in the November 2001 issue of Sport Compact Car:

http://www.magnaflow.com/05magazine/05sportc.htm

Keep in mind that the stock catback in our Maximas is well engineered and relatively free flowing. Based on tests conducted by Sport Compact Car on a custom catback for a 2000 Nissan Maxima . . . a non-production catback designed by HKS specifically for the tests . . . A COMPLETE CATBACK EXHAUST SYSTEM FROM ANY MANUFACTURER SHOULD NOT BE EXPECTED TO PROVIDE MUCH MORE THAN ABOUT A 5HP INCREASE. Most custom catbacks cost in the $500.00+ range. Contrast that to a Y-pipe which costs around $350.00 to $400.00 and yields a 10 to 12 hp increase, and it becomes clear where the performance-minded individual should spend their money initially.

BTW, here's a case in point regarding pipe diameter. Some time ago, a forum member with unlimited access to a muffler shop installed a 2.5" custom catback in his Maxima. After the installation, he noticed that he lost some low-end torque and some elapsed time in the quarter mile. He replaced the 2.5" catback with a 2.25" catback and regained his low-end torque and his elapsed time.

I also noticed a slight loss of low-end torque when I installed my 2.5" catback system. I regained it when I installed my Cattman Y-pipe. It appears that the Y-pipe increased exhaust velocity sufficiently to take advantage of the larger diameter pipe.
Old 03-30-2002, 07:18 AM

I was thinking about mufflers as well-A dual exhaust solution..So I would need 2 fairly cheaper mufflers...How loud are the Dynamax or Magnaflow? I don't want real loud..Just slightly louder than stock at idle. WOT is a different story I was wondering if anyone had tried the Flowmaster Delta Flow 40 series or a Borla turbo exhaust on their Maxima's.....

Any help would be appreciated!

Trevor

BACKPRESSURE = TORQUE?

An old hot-rodder's tall tale: Engines need some backpressure to work properly and make torque. That is not true. What engines need is low backpressure, but high exhaust stream velocity. A fast-moving but free-flowing gas column in the exhaust helps create a rarefaction or a negative pressure wave behind the exhaust valve as it opens. This vacuum helps scavenge the cylinder of exhaust gas faster and more thoroughly with less pumping losses. An exhaust pipe that is too big in diameter has low backpressure but lower velocity. The low velocity reduces the effectiveness of this scavenging effect, which has the greatest impact on low-end torque.

The above is excerpted from the following article which appeared in the November 2001 issue of Sport Compact Car:

http://www.magnaflow.com/05magazine/05sportc.htm
Old 03-30-2002, 08:16 AM

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
I've gone through enough set ups and done enough set ups . . .
I second yo's remarks. I've got a stock rear section and muffler on my 2K SE with a Cattman Y-pipe, 2.5" mandrel-bent exhaust piping, and a 26" Magnaflow resonator. The exhaust sound is perfect for me . . . anywhere from a gentle "purr" at lower rpms to a nasty "growl" at higher rpms. And I don't feel like an upset stomach this morning, so I'm not about to tell you how much money I spent before I finally ended up with this configuration.
Old 03-30-2002, 08:22 AM

I've gone through enough set ups and done enough set ups.
-Peace

have you dynoed your car w/different exhaust upgrades? Can you gain anything (or at least not loose) by only replacing a muffler?
Old 03-30-2002, 08:27 AM

have you dynoed your car w/different exhaust upgrades? Can you gain anything (or at least not loose) by only replacing a muffler?
You won't lose anything by replacing the muffler. And the only thing you will gain is more sound from your exhaust. Keep in mind that the stock 5th Gen muffler is VERY expensive and VERY well engineered. The original design is from a Skyline!
Old 03-30-2002, 08:54 AM

You'll feel a slight loss in low end and lots of noise, especially below 2500rpm w/ light acceleration.
My first exhaust mod was to swap out the stock muffler for a Magnaflow. I experienced very little additional noise. In fact, I kept modifying my exhaust setup because I wasn't satisfied with the amount of sound I got from just the muffler swap. But the sound increased with every additional modification. And when I finally installed my Y-pipe, all HELL broke loose. That's why I ended up going back to a stock rear section.

I mean, I don't know how some of you guys can run a Y-pipe and a Greddy EVO catback at the same time and conduct a conversation when you're driving down the freeway. It's like cruising around inside a hair dryer with the setting on low.
Old 03-30-2002, 09:00 AM

So if I just ad a Y-Pipe and leave everything else stock, I should just expect a slight increase in exhaust noise (like a growling sound) and a slight increase in power? If so, then I think that is what I need.
Old 03-30-2002, 09:01 AM

So if I just ad a Y-Pipe and leave everything else stock, I should just expect a slight increase in exhaust noise (like a growling sound) and a slight increase in power? If so, then I think that is what I need.
Roger that!
Old 05-22-2002, 11:42 AM

Y2KSE...master of all thigs rubber --opinion please

Roger that!
thank GOD for that damn search link.....when this thread was popular I wasn't thinking about my exhaust set up....but now I am

unlike Suds1 who wants to increase the sound which will result in a decrease in power by adding a y-pipe

I want to increase the sound and make NO gains or losses to HP.

I like the idea of removing the resonator and welding on some dressy tips. I don't race (and passing other cars on the regular does not count as racing!!!) so an expensice exhaust setup is not what I am looking for....

I was going to replace the stock muffler...but the one that I want is out of dang stock for the next two months (damn you Arex for making me want it in the first place).

sooooooo Mr. Y2KSE....will removing the resonator give me the throaty growl that i so desire???

I don't wanna sound like a whinny honda...and I say that because everytime I hear that loud pitched whine...it's a dang honda

I want her to growl like the maxima/woman she is

opions please!!!!!
Old 05-22-2002, 12:02 PM

Re: Y2KSE...master of all thigs rubber --opinion please

Originally posted by thicknes

sooooooo Mr. Y2KSE....will removing the resonator give me the throaty growl that i so desire???

In a word, yes. Start by removing your resonator. Then run with that for awhile. It you want a more aggressive sound, change your muffler. But if you EVER intend to install a Y-pipe, keep your OEM rear section. Just trust me on that.
Old 05-22-2002, 12:29 PM

Re: Y2KSE...master of all thigs rubber --opinion please

thank GOD for that damn search link.....when this thread was popular I wasn't thinking about my exhaust set up....but now I am

unlike Suds1 who wants to increase the sound which will result in a decrease in power by adding a y-pipe

I want to increase the sound and make NO gains or losses to HP.

I like the idea of removing the resonator and welding on some dressy tips. I don't race (and passing other cars on the regular does not count as racing!!!) so an expensice exhaust setup is not what I am looking for....

I was going to replace the stock muffler...but the one that I want is out of dang stock for the next two months (damn you Arex for making me want it in the first place).

I don't wanna sound like a whinny honda...and I say that because everytime I hear that loud pitched whine...it's a dang honda

I want her to growl like the maxima/woman she is

opions please!!!!!
If you will search again, you will find that what I actually ended up doing is what you are planning on doing. Removed resonator and welded on chrome tips. Search for "Want more sound from stock exhaust?". I have pics, cost, etc. of the setup on my car.
Old 05-22-2002, 12:42 PM

Re: Re: Y2KSE...master of all thigs rubber --opinion please

If you will search again, you will find that what I actually ended up doing is what you are planning on doing. Removed resonator and welded on chrome tips. Search for "Want more sound from stock exhaust?". I have pics, cost, etc. of the setup on my car.
Thanks, suds1.

Here's the link to suds1's thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=110075
Old 05-22-2002, 01:02 PM

Re: Re: Re: Y2KSE...master of all thigs rubber --opinion please

Thanks, suds1.

Here's the link to suds1's thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=110075
sniff sniff sniff....I love you guys!!!

Old 05-22-2002, 01:05 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Y2KSE...master of all thigs rubber --opinion please

sniff sniff sniff....I love you guys!!!

Thanks, thicknes. We're beginning to grow rather fond of you as well.
Old 05-22-2002, 03:38 PM

Ok guys.I ordered a R/T Cat and plan to have it installed and have a straight pipe run from it to my stock 2k2 rear section with no resonator.Do you think I will gain anything as far as HP with this set up or will it be all sound.I also have a Frankencar intake as well.Thanks for any advice and I will let yall know how it goes when its complete.
Old 05-22-2002, 05:22 PM

I'm wondering where I can get a y-pipe w/installation for around $300 bucks. The only two alternatives I've found are the Stillen at $350 and the Cattman at $375 - parts only.

Any suggestions I don't know about?
Old 05-22-2002, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by Norm02SE
Ok guys.I ordered a R/T Cat and plan to have it installed and have a straight pipe run from it to my stock 2k2 rear section with no resonator.Do you think I will gain anything as far as HP with this set up or will it be all sound.
Pretty much all sound. You may gain a few HP, but nothing to write home about.
Old 05-22-2002, 08:00 PM

does anybody have a sound clip of ypipe with stock exhaust?