5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My 2K vs TLS

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2002, 09:36 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My 2K vs TLS

Not that we needed another thread like this but it just happened so I'm pretty excited....

I don't understand why it's so hard to believe that a G35 or a 2K2 Max would beat an Auto TLS???

I'm at work right now and on my way here I had the fortune of seeing a black TLS on the road. As soon as I saw him driving around, zippin through traffic I immediately thought of the G35 vs TLS thread, lol.

We hit a light along with other cars and I was behind him about 3 rows back. Light turns green and the road turns from a 2 lane highway to 3 lanes. I work my way up front and wind up right behind him. We got up to 80 and I was tailing him to let him know that I was game. We approach a light and and I take the open lane. We look at each other and remain straight faced. Light turns green and he had the immediate jump. He gains about a carlength but as I shift into 3rd I see myself pulling him in After about a mile there's this sharp left so I backed off a little. This fool decides to go all out and takes the turn too fast. As we take the bend I notice him drifting too far right (bodyroll, lol) so I take the inside lane and gun it. We both straighten out and at this point he was 2 car lenghts in front. Going through the gears and into 4th I'm pulling on this guy and passing him!!! We go till 130 then he backs off. At 130 I had 4 carlegnths on the TLS. As I exit the gusy decides to do a fly by. Why do they always do this???

I wrote this to share my experience racing the TLS. I don't want to hear that he wasnt racing or things like that cuz we hit 130 and you have to be stup!d to think that we werent racing if you saw it.

I'm VERY proud to be a Maxima owner right about now
Old 03-30-2002, 10:29 AM
Maxtor

Wait until you get a $300-$400 y-pipe put on!

Old 03-30-2002, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by Maxtor
Wait until you get a $300-$400 y-pipe put on!
With that and a catback I hope I can keep up with my coworkers new CLS 6spd. Raced him twice and lost both times.

Whats faster? The TLS or CLS? I guess it boils down to the CLS having the 6spd trans.
Old 03-30-2002, 06:14 PM

Does anyone know what kind of benefits are seen adding an STS besides not having to shift like an 18 wheeler? By shortening the time it takes to shift through the gears, do you actually go faster?
Old 03-30-2002, 11:18 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I have an ITCH in my pants to race one of these.....Everytime I see one, some Yahoo is driving it , wwho looks like he would need a 12 pack of Geritol to even hit Full Throttle......I drive around all day trying to spot "S" badges....
Old 03-30-2002, 11:24 PM

Yeah, I got pretty amped up when I saw the red S. I know a 2K2 will beat it but I wanted to see if the OG 5th Gen could hang. Yes we can
Old 03-30-2002, 11:38 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Re: My 2K vs TLS

Originally posted by NuJerseyDrive
Going through the gears and into 4th I'm pulling on this guy and passing him!!! We go till 130 then he backs off. At 130 I had 4 carlegnths on the TLS.
muhahaha....ya ran him out of gears! Great race!!!!

The achilles heel of that car is that the power gears only go up to 110. After that they are dogs with their remaining two extremely tall overdrive gears and even my 4th Gen 5spd could take out.

When the Acura guys discover this thread, here is what will happen.
[list=1][*]They will flame-bomb the thread.[*]I will back you up and break out the fact that the power-to-weight ratios between these two cars are almost identical.[*]They will flame more and say that physics don't matter.[*]I will prove them wrong.[*]More flames.[*]I will note that you forced him up beyond the power gears where he was no longer in the game and that you beat him fair and square.[*]The Acura guys will now say "but we got NAV" and go home [/list=1]
Old 03-30-2002, 11:47 PM

Re: Re: My 2K vs TLS

Originally posted by SteVTEC

[list=1][*]They will flame-bomb the thread.[*]I will back you up and break out the fact that the power-to-weight ratios between these two cars are almost identical.[*]They will flame more and say that physics don't matter.[*]I will prove them wrong.[*]More flames.[*]I will note that you forced him up beyond the power gears where he was no longer in the game and that you beat him fair and square.[*]The Acura guys will now say "but we got NAV" and go home [/list=1]
So true

Maxima driver: I'm faster..
TLS driver: No, I'm faster!
Max: No you're not, I am!
Old 03-31-2002, 02:25 AM

muhahaha....ya ran him out of gears! Great race!!!!

The achilles heel of that car is that the power gears only go up to 110. After that they are dogs with their remaining two extremely tall overdrive gears and even my 4th Gen 5spd could take out.

Maybe, just maybe, you took the wind out of their sail!
Old 03-31-2002, 09:04 AM

[*]The Acura guys will now say "but we got NAV" and go home [/list=1]
Old 03-31-2002, 03:03 PM

nice.....isn't there a vtec lag for vtec cars? juss wondering