5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Mass Air Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2002, 11:16 AM

Mass Air Sensor

I own a '02 SE and I put a K&N drop-in filter on my car. Shortly after that my car would not go anywhere, it was not mixing the fuel and air right. I took it to the dealership and they told me that my filter allowed bigger particles of air to flow through the air box, and these "bigger" particles came in contact with my air sensor and caused it to fail. To me that sounds like a load of BS. Anyone know anything about this?
I want to put a Cold Air intake or just a pop charger on my car. If i do, will Nissan still cover my car under warranty or am I screwed?

Also, what is a good performance filter? does anyone make a cold air yet?
Old 03-30-2002, 12:18 PM

Re: Mass Air Sensor

Originally posted by Bulldawg
I own a '02 SE and I put a K&N drop-in filter on my car. Shortly after that my car would not go anywhere, it was not mixing the fuel and air right. I took it to the dealership and they told me that my filter allowed bigger particles of air to flow through the air box, and these "bigger" particles came in contact with my air sensor and caused it to fail. To me that sounds like a load of BS. Anyone know anything about this?
I want to put a Cold Air intake or just a pop charger on my car. If i do, will Nissan still cover my car under warranty or am I screwed?

Not to flame but, bigger particles of air??!!
Maybe the filter had too much oil in it and some of it made it to the MAF... The MAF is pretty close to the airbox.
Old 03-30-2002, 12:34 PM

Thats a load of CRAP! Bigger particles of air....oh my fricken god! It looks as though you just had a faulty MAF! There is no reason a replacement style filter could screw up your MAF! From my experience I have been covered under warranty with my intake. There have been a number of posts about intakes and brands recently so I suggest reading those threads.
Old 05-10-2002, 06:16 PM

so what happen when you bring it to the dealer?//
I too just had the same problem and i am worry about it... i think it is the maf. i put back the factory air box and started the car and it run but the service engine light goes on and the car doesn't seem to accelerate...do you know how much the maf is??
Old 05-10-2002, 07:47 PM

Re: Re: Mass Air Sensor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jcphamer

I too just had the same problem and i am worry about it... i think it is the maf. i put back the factory air box and started the car and it run but the service engine light goes on and the car doesn't seem to accelerate...do you know how much the maf is??
[/QUOTE

Well, I took it to the dealer and that told me that they would have to order the part. Then after three days they said that the part was still not in, so I had a few choice words with the service dept. and they finally took a MAF off another Max on the lot. It wasn't that my car wouldn't accelerate. It just wouldn't run at all, when it was Idling the tach was jumping from 500 to 1200 without me touching the gas. Then when I tried to drive down the road it would sputter and stall. I had to have it towed to nissan at their expense. If your car is under warranty they will do it for free. Hope this helps
Old 05-10-2002, 07:59 PM

Re: Re: Re: Mass Air Sensor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bulldawg
Originally posted by jcphamer

[/QUOTE

Well, I took it to the dealer and that told me that they would have to order the part. Then after three days they said that the part was still not in, so I had a few choice words with the service dept. and they finally took a MAF off another Max on the lot. It wasn't that my car wouldn't accelerate. It just wouldn't run at all, when it was Idling the tach was jumping from 500 to 1200 without me touching the gas. Then when I tried to drive down the road it would sputter and stall. I had to have it towed to nissan at their expense. If your car is under warranty they will do it for free. Hope this helps
so they fix it for you and replace the mas for free if it is under warranty eventhough you put an aftermarke intake in.??? wouldn'
t the Ecu signal the problem that the mas is malfunction... i figured that they would know that it is becuase the k&n intake that cause it...
Old 05-10-2002, 08:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Mass Air Sensor

I had this question about K&N's filtering abilities before. Not necessary more air that goes thru the filter, but the quality/cleaness of the air the has been filtered thru. It has a bigger pore than our normal paper filter, which also allows bigger partilce to pass thru. That's one of the reasons that K&N filter needs to be oiled and oil will be used to trap particles that are smaller than the pores.

Originally posted by CIRCO

Thats a load of CRAP! Bigger particles of air....oh my fricken god! It looks as though you just had a faulty MAF! There is no reason a replacement style filter could screw up your MAF! From my experience I have been covered under warranty with my intake. There have been a number of posts about intakes and brands recently so I suggest reading those threads.
I dunno how does ur nissan dealer determine that the larger particl is the cause of MAF sensor failure. It can be ur over-oiled K&N filter or the black partilce deposit from the MAF/resonator.....why there is black partilces? I still dunno.
Old 05-10-2002, 10:37 PM

I just put a drop-in in my 2k2 SE and I made sure to check the filter for excess oil and there was none, and I've had zero problems.

When I had my Eclipe Turbo, I used to clean and re-oil my K&N myself, and on 17 psi of boost pressure the turbo never sucked in enough oil to damage the MAS, so I fail to see how a vehicle operating on vacuum could do the same. Check and make sure the air filter was seated very tightely in the tray and that it seals off the entire area from dirt and debris. Then double check your temp sensor connection.

Jesse
Old 05-10-2002, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by 02MaximizedVQ
I just put a drop-in in my 2k2 SE and I made sure to check the filter for excess oil and there was none, and I've had zero problems.

When I had my Eclipe Turbo, I used to clean and re-oil my K&N myself, and on 17 psi of boost pressure the turbo never sucked in enough oil to damage the MAS, so I fail to see how a vehicle operating on vacuum could do the same. Check and make sure the air filter was seated very tightely in the tray and that it seals off the entire area from dirt and debris. Then double check your temp sensor connection.

Jesse
where is the temp sensor on the 2k2 max??/
Old 05-10-2002, 11:06 PM

for 2k1 and 2k, it is located at the air scoop.

where is the temp sensor on the 2k2 max??/
Old 05-10-2002, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
for 2k1 and 2k, it is located at the air scoop.

i need to know on the 2k2...where the temp sensor is
Old 05-10-2002, 11:46 PM

Jesse
How do you check the filter for excess oil on it? I am installing FrankenCar intake soon, and it came with K&N filter, it seems to look fine. I don't see any excess oil on it.
Is there any test I can do to see if it has excess oil on it?

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2002, 11:55 PM

The temp sensor is just before the MAS. Its the only plug in the vicinity. Its right there on top I believe. You can't miss it.
You shouldn't have had to play with it to put the filter in anyway, but might as well check it first. Are you throwing any codes?

Jesse
Old 05-11-2002, 12:00 AM

The temp sensor is just before the MAS. Its the only plug in the vicinity. Its right there on top I believe. You can't miss it.
You shouldn't have had to play with it to put the filter in anyway, but might as well check it first. Are you throwing any codes?

Jesse
jesse

Maybe you can help me.. what codes? how can i check them.? are you refering to the ecu? right now my servie engine is on... i have disconnect the battery for 3 hours and recconnect it.. and the light is still there...
Old 05-11-2002, 12:12 AM

jesse

Maybe you can help me.. what codes? how can i check them.? are you refering to the ecu? right now my servie engine is on... i have disconnect the battery for 3 hours and recconnect it.. and the light is still there...
I believe the Temp sensor and MAS codes are triggered immediately on startup so you probalby have one of the two. You need an OBDII code scanner to pull the code from the ECU. The port is located below your steering wheel and to the left. It is a rectangular connector. You can buy a code scanner from most part stores for around $100 I believe. Most dealership charge between $60-$90 to pull a code anyway so if you use the thing twice, its paid for. Anyway keep playing around and searching before you go out and spend a c-note, b/c its most likely something simple. I would take the MAS out of the car and inspect it and see if there are any visual clues.

Jesse
Old 05-11-2002, 12:13 AM

should be the same...it is still a same style of intake system

i need to know on the 2k2...where the temp sensor is
Old 05-13-2002, 07:33 PM
ABS

For those of you with dead MAF sensors, what are the build dates on your 2K2 Maximas? Also, does the new sensor "look" any different than the original? Thanks!