5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

H3 Foglight Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2002, 04:54 PM

H3 Foglight Install Question

How the heck do you get these things off????

I tried replacing the H3 today (Xenon Eaglites) and i first of all i couldn't release the wire connector from the foglight unit. then i tried just taking the whole unit off with the wire connected by prying the white clips on both edges of the unit. no luck.

Can someone please try to help me out here because I replaced the H4 and now it looks fugly .

Can someone please provide another installation guide other than Russ's

thanks in advance
Old 03-30-2002, 08:58 PM

Re: H3 Foglight Install Question

Originally posted by 2001SE
How the heck do you get these things off????

I tried replacing the H3 today (Xenon Eaglites) and i first of all i couldn't release the wire connector from the foglight unit. then i tried just taking the whole unit off with the wire connected by prying the white clips on both edges of the unit. no luck.

Can someone please try to help me out here because I replaced the H4 and now it looks fugly .

Can someone please provide another installation guide other than Russ's

thanks in advance
I used Russ's guide and I didn't have any problems changing mine. I'm not exactly sure what you are having a problem with, though. Can you be more specific?

Tony
Old 03-30-2002, 09:22 PM

i tried pushing that tab to take out the wire connector and i couldn't take it off

also...how do you take the whole unit out?
Old 03-31-2002, 02:31 AM

Originally posted by 2001SE
i tried pushing that tab to take out the wire connector and i couldn't take it off

also...how do you take the whole unit out?
Well, by looking at Russ's pictures again it does seem confusing. Unfortunately, I don't remember off the top of my head how to explain it to you without getting under my car and refreshing my memory. Hopefully, since this reply will send your post to the top of the threads, someone else will see it and can be of more help. If not, by Tuesday, I can get down under there and look again for myself and I'm sure I can guide you through it after that. All I remember was that I spent several minutes under my car trying to figure out what the heck to do but I finally somehow figured it out. Are you using enough light so you don't miss something?

Anyway, if you haven't figured it out by Tuesday, or if no one else posts help by then I will check myself.

Tony
Old 03-31-2002, 03:21 AM

Those tabs you are talking does need some pull on it. Trying wearing one of those plastic gloves so you get more grip and your fingers won't hurt as much. Then snap it really hard and just pull backwards. That's how I got mine off. As for the foglight unit, once you disconnect the wire you just pull it out from the front. Everything after that is a piece of cake. I just changed my H3s not too long ago, didn't have much trouble doing it. Get a flash light to get a better look if you need to, it's not difficult.
Old 03-31-2002, 09:06 AM

Taking out the headlight units makes the de-installation/installation of new foglights bulbs extremely easy. Use his guide, but just remove the headlights before you start doing everything. It should only take 10 minutes per bulb
Old 03-31-2002, 09:45 AM

Originally posted by VVDA
As for the foglight unit, once you disconnect the wire you just pull it out from the front.
aren't there clips you need to "play" with in order to pull it from the front?
Old 03-31-2002, 12:03 PM

Ive changed mine several times and currently running CATZ Galaxys without complaint. First pull out the one bolt holding the foglight in. (10mm, I Believe) Next use a small pocket knive or screwdriver and pull tab out and then pull on wire to release the socket from wiring loom. It is tight so massage it back and forth or you will SNAP it off the plastic holder that attaches directly to the lamp.

Take a rubber mallet and pop foglamp once in the back. Put a rag in the foglamp area (front) so that mallet pop does not send it into the street. Foglight comes out as one assembly towards you!

Once out you twist cap and change the h3's. Tighten cap and then push foglamp back in until a small pop is heard. Attach wire loom and put back on bolt. From there its easy with attaching the panels from below.

Oh.......wipe the bulb! Even if you didnt directly touch it, as any oil will reduce bulb life and can even blow the bulb when heated.
Old 03-31-2002, 07:10 PM

thanks a lot man
Old 04-01-2002, 05:15 PM

i changed my Foglights last week...

it was not a simple job.
here's the details.

-unscrew (1) 10mm bolt, (1) Philips screw & (1) snap on plastic nut(as illustrated on the website).
-Pry the Black plastic cover down (does not come off completely)
-Look behind the foglight housing. There should be 2 screw on bolts. (not 1 as illustrated on the Websites). simply unscrew them. The connector thats attached to the body of the car is difficult to detach. i only pulled it down to unhooked it from the body of the car.
-lightly push the foglight housing out. ( comes out VERY easily)
-replaced bulbs.

BTW i have a 2k2 & used the PIAA H3 ION Crystal bulbs ($20 each) Now looks awesome like the Lexus GS's!
Old 04-01-2002, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by killrwheels
Oh.......wipe the bulb! Even if you didnt directly touch it, as any oil will reduce bulb life and can even blow the bulb when heated. [/B]
Always wipe with 99% isopropal alcohol and air dry before installing without touching the glass. Do this with halogens in your home too.