5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I thought I had a sports sedan

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 02:16 PM

I thought I had a sports sedan

I read in the April/auto edition of Consumer Reports that the "V6 and six speed trans make the Maxima quick but not sporty".
Then I read in the WSJ about "rear wheel drive is a prerequisite for sporty handling".
I thought I had something better than a Chevy Lumina.
Old 03-31-2002, 02:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: I thought I had a sports sedan

Originally posted by martinf
I read in the April/auto edition of Consumer Reports that the "V6 and six speed trans make the Maxima quick but not sporty".
Then I read in the WSJ about "rear wheel drive is a prerequisite for sporty handling".
The maxima is alot better than the Chevy Lumina, but up here in NY the under cover cops use chevy lumina And in pretty sure they dont use them for no reason. The maxima is a lot sportier than alot of other 4 door cars, my cusion has an oldsmobile intrigue and we usually speed around together. We were on this off ramp doing about 50 and while i was sitting comfortable he was doing three wheel action around the turn. I didnt think the maxima was good at handling either until i drove his car doing around 70 on a turn and noticed how much roll it had, so much it felt scary and told him **** that test drive.
Old 03-31-2002, 02:28 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

If youre not sure if you have a posrts sedan.. try RACING SOME PEOPLE.. Then you'll know you HAVE a sports sedan...
Old 03-31-2002, 02:44 PM

you DO have a sports sedan
Old 03-31-2002, 06:30 PM
TCm

Re: Re: I thought I had a sports sedan

Originally posted by 2000MilkedMax

The maxima is alot better than the Chevy Lumina, but up here in NY the under cover cops use chevy lumina And in pretty sure they dont use them for no reason. The maxima is a lot sportier than alot of other 4 door cars, my cusion has an oldsmobile intrigue and we usually speed around together. We were on this off ramp doing about 50 and while i was sitting comfortable he was doing three wheel action around the turn. I didnt think the maxima was good at handling either until i drove his car doing around 70 on a turn and noticed how much roll it had, so much it felt scary and told him **** that test drive.
Yeah, they use Luminas for a reason all right. Because they're cheap. Seriously, why do you think cops use American cars? It's not because of some agreement with US companies. It's because parts and labor, not to mention startup costs, are much lower than import cars.
Old 03-31-2002, 06:39 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

What a bunch of tards.

Since when is RWD required for sporty handling. There are many FWD cars out there that can handle awesome. RWD is an advantage, but not a prerequisite. I trust WSJ on financial news, but not cars.

CU: Maybe it's not "sporty" compared to a 3/5-series BMW, but for a "family sedan", the Maxima is about as sporty as it gets. What other "family sedan" out there can run low-14's at the track stock and then go pick up the kids from school and bring home a load of groceries?

Edmunds.com about the 4th Gen: The gold standard among Japanese sport sedans.

We're fans of the Maxima, even though its styling is still growing on us. This car is held up as the gold standard every time journalists mention sport sedans. The smooth and powerful engine works in concert with the supple chassis and suspension to give drivers the opportunity to take full advantage of challenging backcountry roads. If this sounds like your cup of tea, this car will make you happy.
Old 03-31-2002, 06:51 PM
Very sound, Mike

Re: Re: I thought I had a sports sedan

Yep. Maxima.. my cup of tea
Old 04-01-2002, 06:53 AM

sports sedan

Some people crack me up. How can you even use the word "Lumina"
in the same sentence as Maxima and sports sedan. A Lumina is a fleet vehicle and compared to a Max is a total piece of s*#t! I just cracked 1000 miles on 2k2 SE and I love that f@#$in' car!!
Old 04-01-2002, 07:30 AM
Very sound, Mike

You thought you had a sports sedan but then you wake up and realize... You *Do* have a sports sedan
Old 04-01-2002, 08:24 PM
thehunter

...besides...anyone who doubts the handling of fwd...check out the civics in The Fast and the Furious...

it's the driver...not the car...

Old 04-01-2002, 08:39 PM

4DSC

I agree with several of the posters here. You have to really consider the source of the negative statements. The WSJ is not a car magazine. Anybody who knows about handling knows that there is more to it than just the driving axles. If the high end car manufacturers only made AWD cars you can be certain that the editors of the WSJ would change their statement.

And while CR does do a lot of car reviews, their focus is more for the average consumer who views a car as a means for getting from point A to point B. CR likes very simple categorizations. I suspect under their rules only two seaters would qualify as "sporty" (small and powerful).

Lastly there will always be far more people will and able to put down your car. The question to ask yourself is do you enjoy driving the Maxima? I know I do.
Old 04-01-2002, 10:45 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Most of these magazines are made for people who drive to Golf Courses not wanting to wake up their neighbors when they fire up their 2002 Continental !
Old 04-01-2002, 11:09 PM

I was under the impression that fwd cars are usually slated for engines with only so much hp. I'm not sure how much, but once that hp threshold is crossed, a rwd car is much more desireable. Within that hp range (and the 2K2 Maximas are within but pushing that threshold I believe) a fwd car can be just as responsive and great-handling as a rwd car. Doesn't it have something to do with torque steer? In a higher-hp engine isn't it better to let the drive wheels worry only about pushing the car forward and the front wheels worry only about turning the car. Anyone? (4wd cars are exempt from this theory)

I'm sure someone can prove me wrong, but aren't almost ALL high-hp cars rwd? (or 4wd, but rarely fwd) Vette, Viper, Porsche, Farrari, Lotus, Mclaren, etc...

Tony
Old 04-01-2002, 11:19 PM

oh who cares. I paid 20K for my car, my stepbro paid 30K for his BMW 325i and I can take him anytime, noone can touch that!
Old 04-01-2002, 11:29 PM

You're going to let Consumer Reports tell you what's sporty and what's not? Sh*t, let them go roll over an SUV and we'll stick to the sporty cars.

if it isn't obvious I can't stand Consumer Reports' car coverage
Old 04-02-2002, 06:18 AM

Consumer Reports? Ah, hell...don't get me started.

The folks at CR are the types of people who would choose Branson over Vegas.

Have I made my point? Hell, they don't even do that great of a job testing/evaluating products. Try Car and Driver or Road and Track (I know, they've not done the 2k2...)

Here's a perfect quote to describe Consumer Reports:

"Some people prefer chunky peanut butter, and some folks like smooth, but I'll just avoid that whole hornet's nest...a slice of plain white bread with a glass of water on the side for dippin'!"
-Ned Flanders, The Simpsons
Old 04-02-2002, 06:33 AM
Very sound, Mike

Here's my 2c.

To a point you are correct but FWD can be made just as safe and good as RWD. Of course the fun factor will never be up to par. If a similarly powered RWD car is put on the streets w/o some traction control or LSD of sorts chances are you'll be seeing your tail first when flooring from a stop - a common thing for inexperienced drivers.

I also like how FWD cars have better evasive maneuver/steering control. More of a point and shoot sort of thing.

Though it's a valid theory about HP threshold on FWD cars i don't really see it especially coming from the Honda tuner world where it's not uncommon to see a decked out Honda running 11's if not 10's... and it's still a FWD car.

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes
I was under the impression that fwd cars are usually slated for engines with only so much hp. I'm not sure how much, but once that hp threshold is crossed, a rwd car is much more desireable. Within that hp range (and the 2K2 Maximas are within but pushing that threshold I believe) a fwd car can be just as responsive and great-handling as a rwd car. Doesn't it have something to do with torque steer? In a higher-hp engine isn't it better to let the drive wheels worry only about pushing the car forward and the front wheels worry only about turning the car. Anyone? (4wd cars are exempt from this theory)

I'm sure someone can prove me wrong, but aren't almost ALL high-hp cars rwd? (or 4wd, but rarely fwd) Vette, Viper, Porsche, Farrari, Lotus, Mclaren, etc...

Tony
Old 04-02-2002, 07:28 AM

Keep in mind that the WSJ also said last summer that ENRON stock was a "strong buy" at $84 a share

With that sort of advice, I wouldn't place much weight on their opinions of proper handling dynamics with sports cars.
Old 04-02-2002, 08:34 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Sorry guys, but the Maxima is not a sports sedan. It's more of a "sporty" sedan. Just because it has a powerful engine doesn't make it a sports sedan. When I think sports sedan, I think BMW, Benz, Audi, Lexus, and Infiniti. The current Maxima is lacking in many areas:

FWD - The best FWD setup will never perform like a good RWD setup. RWD is actually more controllable if you know what you are doing. Steering with the rearend is an advantage. Less weight is over the front therefore the car doesn't push hard in turns. Don't get me started about off the line acceleration.

Suspension - Sports cars have fully independent suspensions. The Maxima uses a rear beam axle which handles great on smooth surfaces, but once a bump is encountered in a high speed turn, the car looses composure. Beam axles also make for a harsher ride.

Steering - The steering in the Maxima has gotten progressively better, but it still lacks good feel, especially on-center. Postive steering is a must for good handling.

A modified Maxima (engine, suspension, wheels) will give "most" stock Eurpoean sports sedan a good run. Sometimes the Maxima might come out on top too. The difference is in the composure of the car. While he Bimmer is flowing thru the turns with ease, the Maxima is pushing and sliding as the driver is fighting for total control. All the Maxima can rely on is it's sheer power. Power doesn't make a sports car. A sports car is one that handles great, accelerates strongly, brakes hard, and most importantly, induces a feel of control and "connectiveness". The Maxima is a bargain for what it is and there are no cars in it's segment that can do what it does for the money. However, it's no sports car.

Dave
Old 04-02-2002, 09:05 AM
Very sound, Mike

Good points Dave, i also have to add that having a powerful engine doesn't make a sports car a sports car. A Lotus Elize outfitted with an Integra Type-R engine easily outhandled and outperformed a Ford (SVT) Mustang Cobra-R having twice the HP and TQ.

OTOH, i'd have to disgress about what a sports car is. When i think Sports car i think F1, Lotus, Aston, Porsche, Lamborghini, Souped-up Ford/Chevy/Nissan/Honda/etc. BMW, Infinity, Acura, Benz, Audi, Lexus in stock form are what i'd consider luxury cars and aside from a model or two from each manufacturer they're not sports cars.

The Maxima though not a true sports car can be considered a family sports sedan. And that's what it's good at. And like you said, for the price and what you get... the combination is hard to beat.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:30 AM

who cares...floor it
Old 04-02-2002, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by Dave B
A modified Maxima (engine, suspension, wheels) will give "most" stock Eurpoean sports sedan a good run. Sometimes the Maxima might come out on top too. The difference is in the composure of the car. While he Bimmer is flowing thru the turns with ease, the Maxima is pushing and sliding as the driver is fighting for total control. All the Maxima can rely on is it's sheer power. Power doesn't make a sports car. A sports car is one that handles great, accelerates strongly, brakes hard, and most importantly, induces a feel of control and "connectiveness". The Maxima is a bargain for what it is and there are no cars in it's segment that can do what it does for the money. However, it's no sports car.

Dave
So what you're saying is that the Maxima is a "ponycar". Pardon me while I finish laughing.

Stereodude
Old 04-02-2002, 10:22 AM

Actually, if ya reeeeealy wanna get down to it, a sports car has TWO doors and only TWO seats. Miata, SLK, Viper, Elise, F360 Modena, etc...

Everything else that is performance-oriented with two doors, i.e., 'stangs, Camaros, RS-X's, etc, should be referred to as sport coupes.

Our beloved Maximas, M5's, TL-S's, etc, are sport sedans. They are four-door cars that lean towards performance.

Old 04-02-2002, 11:45 AM

Read this for a "TRUE" review:
http://www.motortrend.com/nov01/maxima/maxima_f.html
Old 04-02-2002, 12:35 PM
is invisible

As a subscriber to the WSJ I have been brain-washed into believing the same thing.
But it's true...there's more to sport than straight-line speed.
Old 04-02-2002, 12:38 PM
is invisible

Originally posted by zeitgeist57
Keep in mind that the WSJ also said last summer that ENRON stock was a "strong buy" at $84 a share

With that sort of advice, I wouldn't place much weight on their opinions of proper handling dynamics with sports cars.
Is that why I'm broke?

WSJ isn't exactly a reputable automobile evaluating reference.
Old 04-02-2002, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by hollywood7301
Actually, if ya reeeeealy wanna get down to it, a sports car has TWO doors and only TWO seats. Miata, SLK, Viper, Elise, F360 Modena, etc...

Everything else that is performance-oriented with two doors, i.e., 'stangs, Camaros, RS-X's, etc, should be referred to as sport coupes.

Our beloved Maximas, M5's, TL-S's, etc, are sport sedans. They are four-door cars that lean towards performance.
And that brings us right back to the original topic, doesn't it?
Old 04-02-2002, 12:54 PM
is invisible

Originally posted by Stereodude
So what you're saying is that the Maxima is a "ponycar". Pardon me while I finish laughing.

Stereodude
Sure...VQ and LS1 drivers share a similar mentality: "our cars may not be the best in every aspect (handling, quality, prestige), but at least I can smoke you and enjoy these creature comforts all at a lower price!"
Old 04-02-2002, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by CoolMax
Sure...VQ and LS1 drivers share a similar mentality: "our cars may not be the best in every aspect (handling, quality, prestige), but at least I can smoke you and enjoy these creature comforts all at a lower price!"
I wasn't aware that F-body's had creature comforts. GM must have put them in while I wasn't paying attention.

Stereodude
Old 04-02-2002, 01:26 PM
is invisible

Originally posted by Stereodude
I wasn't aware that F-body's had creature comforts. GM must have put them in while I wasn't paying attention.

Stereodude
Perhaps that was wrong word choice.

Leather and a booming system can make you forget about the shortcomings of the car.

Would you like me to compare it to a GTP?