5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HELP! Check engine light came on....

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2002, 02:27 PM

HELP! Check engine light came on....

I don't understand why it would have. I was on a back road driving around and for once I wasn't speeding or anything. So out of no where it came on, didn't flash, blink or anything. Its been on since and I've turned on and off the car a few times. What should I do? The only engine types of mods I have is a JWT intake. Thanks for any help.
Old 04-01-2002, 03:46 PM

Re: HELP! Check engine light came on....

Check the engine and make sure it's still there...

ADMAN
Old 04-01-2002, 04:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: HELP! Check engine light came on....

Originally posted by adman

ADMAN

Seriously . . . reset your ECU.
Old 04-01-2002, 04:51 PM

Re: HELP! Check engine light came on....

Originally posted by Keh mon
I don't understand why it would have. I was on a back road driving around and for once I wasn't speeding or anything. So out of no where it came on, didn't flash, blink or anything. Its been on since and I've turned on and off the car a few times. What should I do? The only engine types of mods I have is a JWT intake. Thanks for any help.

Don't you have a SC too? I thought you had one.
Old 04-01-2002, 05:03 PM

Re: Re: HELP! Check engine light came on....

ADMAN
[/QUOTE]

Woo hoo it's still there!

Originally posted by y2kse

Seriously . . . reset your ECU.
Thanks for the help. I guess I'll end up doing that. Do you know why it would have gone off? I don't want to reset it if there really is a good reason of why it came on.

Originally posted by EdV2K

Don't you have a SC too? I thought you had one.
There are a few parts missing that I need to order one of these days... but HOPEFULLY I'll be installing it this summer.... knock on wood.
Old 04-01-2002, 05:22 PM

Re: Re: Re: HELP! Check engine light came on....

If the light came on that means something, at one time or another, failed. If you reset the pcm and it comes back on, take it in. if you lived closer i'd let you use my scanner.

cya
ryan
Old 04-01-2002, 05:24 PM

Re: Re: Re: HELP! Check engine light came on....

Originally posted by Keh mon

Thanks for the help. I guess I'll end up doing that. Do you know why it would have gone off? I don't want to reset it if there really is a good reason of why it came on.
Nope. Sometimes the ECU has a mind of its own. I'd reset it and see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't, make sure your JWT popcharger is properly installed (i.e., no air leaks, MAF tube O-ring properly installed, etc.) and reset the ECU again. If that doesn't clear the SES light, go to your dealer and have them pull the error code with their Consult II.
Old 04-03-2002, 11:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: HELP! Check engine light came on....

Originally posted by y2kse

Nope. Sometimes the ECU has a mind of its own. I'd reset it and see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't, make sure your JWT popcharger is properly installed (i.e., no air leaks, MAF tube O-ring properly installed, etc.) and reset the ECU again. If that doesn't clear the SES light, go to your dealer and have them pull the error code with their Consult II.
What's the O-ring part you're talking about? My popcharger just has the filter, then that's attached directly to that metal adapter plate that you bolt into the intake tube... there isn't a rubber seal there.

The wierd thing is that I've driven the car since the light came on, and I've probably driven almost 100 miles. Then all of a sudden tonight, the light didn't come on when I turned the car on. What the heck is going on? Should I still be concerned? Or does the ECU really have a mind of its own sometimes. Thanks for all the help so far everyone.
Old 04-04-2002, 04:21 AM

If I were you I would just take it to the dealer or a shop to have them run the SCanner on it and pull the code.. How's the car run? Any idle problems with idling, engine?
Old 04-04-2002, 06:43 AM

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K
If I were you I would just take it to the dealer or a shop to have them run the SCanner on it and pull the code.. How's the car run? Any idle problems with idling, engine?
Its running fine. It still stalls every once in a while when I accelerate hard, then push in the clutch and slam on my brakes. But no cut off prob's or wierd idle or anything. It felt like it was a lot slower when the light was on, but that could all be mental. Because now it feels MUCH faster. So maybe I just have no clue. Do you think the dealer would try to pull the code even though the light went off? How much do they charge for those kinds of things?